• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

That's all well and good. And trust me, I understand the sniping benefits on tanks as I prefer the Tank Hunter Kit from the Battlefront classes over all others but that doesn't negate my point: Anti-tank gameplay is simply unfun. Just last night I was in a Windmill on whatever that first map in the left-most operation is, tank comes to B first set. Threw two anti-tank grenades right on it. RPG/prone (while fucking about with crouch to get the fucking thing to fire. #ThanksDICE) all my ammo: Disabled at most.

You know what happens? Does the enemy get out? Does the tank stay disabled?

Nope, they get to use their special ability to instantly knock the disabled out and then self-repair enough to back up and go back to their spawn to completely repair. No getting out, no ability to steal it and then repair it myself. Nothing.

That's not fun. Then you have the tanks or artillery trucks that sit in their spawn and KDR farm because that's more effective than getting into anti-tank ranges and there is NOTHING assaults can do because LOL RPG NEEDS TO BE PRONE TO FIRE.

Again: DICE needs to rethink the entire sandbox if they're going to include vehicles but not have the vehicles come into ranges to make anti-tank gameplay worthwhile AND beneficial. Because at this point, I'd rather they spam the maps with Tank Hunter kits. At least then I could 2-4 shot tanks to death and guarantee they can't run.

To be fair, I've had the opposite happen. Spawn into a tank right as it's getting destroyed. Don't get knocked back to starting spawn. I spawn where the tank died and get mown down by the infantry that the tank didn't even bother to kill. #ThanksDICE

DICE no doubt addressing the complaints from the many many many people who complained because their team's vehicles keep getting stolen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just hit 1500 spm. I brought it up from 700 since the start of January or maybe late December jyst playing attacking operations. Not giving a fuck about kdr and just focusing on getting that win bonus. Feels so good. Finally a game that rewards team and objective play. Past bf games were just way too frustrating for me. I remember being really good at MAG which was the last game that gave you more points for playing objectives than kills. It sucks we never got a sequel for it but i loved how it gave you double xp for everything you did in the objective area. Medics got double the xp of a kill so everyone carried revive kits.

Imagine if bf1 had that, medics would actually revive people.
pXcghVU.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Probably for the same reason there is self health regeneration.

Self-health generation makes sense, since Infantry is squishy and if you can outrun the person trying to kill you, you deserve to survive. The tanks are entirely different. They aren't squishy. They can take a beating, they (with a teammate formerly. #RIPBF4Engineer) can repair that beating with a teammate (or in this case by themselves. #TrollDICE) and continue ticking. Very different circumstances.

DICE no doubt addressing the complaints from the many many many people who complained because their team's vehicles keep getting stolen.

More than likely. I think I've only stolen a vehicle ONCE and that's because the pilot had no clue about that extinguisher perk in it. Sadly I wasn't my Support with Repair Tool class so the treads were disabled and I couldn't move but I was able to at least keep them from using it.

Does changing the zeroing range on sniper rifles actually...do anything? I hardly notice a difference.

You don't need to worry about drop. 75m for someone at like 100m will have you raise the scope a little bit. The drop isn't as hard as BF4's as they wanted to make "sniping easier" but there is a benefit (however small) for zeroing.

Infantry SMLE is a way of life.

I keep getting blown away in the bigger maps with it because I can't seem to nail the zero-ing distances with iron-sights, but when it works oh baby.

Filben

Self-health generation makes sense, since Infantry is squishy and if you can outrun the person trying to kill you, you deserve to survive.
That's up to discussion if someone deserves to survive then, but one could argue that you only deserve it when you get patched up by a medic (and yeah, infantry is squishy but there are many). However, my original point was, that they probably don't want to slow down the game flow too much. That's, I guess, the reason why such mechanics were invented in the first place. And in a video game that should appeal to the widest target audience possible it makes sense.

Anyway, BF1 isn't well-balanced after all.

McCHitman

Banned
That's not fun. Then you have the tanks or artillery trucks that sit in their spawn and KDR farm because that's more effective than getting into anti-tank ranges and there is NOTHING assaults can do because LOL RPG NEEDS TO BE PRONE TO FIRE.

I for one LOVE destroying tanks. Assault was the first class I got to 10 and I made a Bomberman logo that goes along with me singing "Cuz I'm the bombermaaaaan..." everytime I blow up a tank.

The RPG can be fired from cover as well, you don't have to be prone. It uses the bipod.

I personally use Incendiary grenades to freak the tank out. I can't confirm that it makes them pop that Instant health, but it works.

I'm also a dynamite/ mine guy. Hit a rocket, flank around, dynamite. Dead.

If you get good with mines you will destroy vehicles almost at will. Theres a skill to plopping those down and baiting a vehicle to hit them, and then you get to bask in the satisfaction as they blow sky high.

And if you die and they don't hit them, give it a minute and you'll see it pop up on your screen while you're waiting to spawn.

Support is garbage with a gas mask on. I think you mean Assault.

WTF. No. Mask, prone, bipod. Done deal.

More than likely. I think I've only stolen a vehicle ONCE and that's because the pilot had no clue about that extinguisher perk in it. Sadly I wasn't my Support with Repair Tool class so the treads were disabled and I couldn't move but I was able to at least keep them from using it.

so many anti-fun decisions.

can't even go out-of-bounds into an enemy base and steal their vehicles anymore :/

stealing the enemy jet on Kharg Rush was so much fun

McCHitman

Banned

can't even go out-of-bounds into an enemy base and steal their vehicles anymore :/

GOOD. That's the type of Horse crap I hated with a passion.

At first I didn't think I would like not taking off in airplanes but I prefer it to idiots strafing the spawn.

I think I finished the bolt-action dog tag thing. It's kind of hard to tell since they don't tell you shit. I mean does the Russian 1895 count since its action lever or how about the 1903 experimental? I probably won't get it. I never got the PTFO skin for the MP18 from the first Battlefest, even though I completed the requirements.

McCHitman

Banned
I think I finished the bolt-action dog tag thing. It’s kind of hard to tell since they don’t tell you shit. I mean does the Russian 1895 count since its action lever or how about the 1903 experimental? I probably won’t get it. I never got the PTFO skin for the MP18 from the first Battlefest, even though I completed the requirements.

What's the requirements for the dog tag?

I never got the PTFO skin either. Come to think of it, I don't get any of the special tags for events.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's up to discussion if someone deserves to survive then, but one could argue that you only deserve it when you get patched up by a medic (and yeah, infantry is squishy but there are many). However, my original point was, that they probably don't want to slow down the game flow too much. That's, I guess, the reason why such mechanics were invented in the first place. And in a video game that should appeal to the widest target audience possible it makes sense.

Anyway, BF1 isn't well-balanced after all.

Think of it this way, you get tagged by a sniper out in the open and hit cover/a hole.

Medics are no where near you and probably won't be for 2-4 mins.

Meanwhile, the sniper is covering your position but can't hit you/fire on you.

Why wouldn't you want the ability to self-heal up and move to cover? If you want "realism" there's Red Orchestra 2 where you can get hit by 1 bullet and bleed out if you don't slam the "bandage" key within 2 seconds. Battlefield isn't meant to be "realistic" (hence the numerous automatics) take.

The RPG can be fired from cover as well, you don't have to be prone. It uses the bipod.

Yes, I know. Same with the Mines (which I used in the beta and then dropped because they don't persist on respawn, compared to BF3/4). Doesn't change the anti-tank gameplay is completely unfun and not worth the bother.

Also the firing from cover is wonky at best. Like the bipods in BF3/4 but less consistent for me. So it's either "prone and fire" or bust. :|

I can understand that one and the jets being in the air. Personally, I agree with those.

But I can't agree with that (can't agree with that, ohhhh can't agree with that...) on the vehicle sandbox in this outing. It's awful and needs to be changed.
Preferably by introducing the Engineer class back. Support getting the Wrench isn't a good thing.

I think I finished the bolt-action dog tag thing. It's kind of hard to tell since they don't tell you shit.

Yeah, I gave up after like 2-5 rounds with the Lawrence of Arabia SMLE (since it is a default ironsight sniper) The lack of a counter just sealed it.

Nothing overly specific. If you don't have the time or can't be arsed no pressure, but yeah. Really it comes down to those two things mentioned in my post; glowing specular maps on certain surfaces, and some reflection shaders blurring while in motion. Fao Fortress is just the easiest example, as it makes heavy use of cheap reflections and is the clearest culprit, and the rocky ocean shoreline has a specular map in most weather conditions.
With TAA
Without TAA
hopefully this will help you out with what you're looking for. Everything is on max setting besides turning TAA on and off.

FaceTurn

Does anyone have any tips using the slug shotty? I just can't figure out how to get kills with it consistently. There are moments when I point it at someone's stationary head 10m away and nothing will connect.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
With TAA

Without TAA
hopefully this will help you out with what you're looking for. Everything is on max setting besides turning TAA on and off.

Cheers. Hmm. Doesn't look like you get the sparkly effect as demonstrated in my screens?
Do you get the water reflect blur as per my gif?

Filben

If you want "realism" there's Red Orchestra 2 where you can get hit by 1 bullet and bleed out if you don't slam the "bandage" key within 2 seconds. Battlefield isn't meant to be "realistic" (hence the numerous automatics) take.
That's what I'm saying. BF1 isn't about realism, hence the auto repair of tanks. That this seems inbalanced could be true, as I said earlier that this game isn't well-balanced. However, that's what DICE may think: Make it less realistic, more accessible for many people. You don't need a medic in some situations due to self-regeneration and you don't need a engineer in some situations due to self-repair. That's DICE's approach and yeah, it's one of those points that are not balanced.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Downloading a 1.57GB update. I guess that's the patch? Do we have notes?

Downloading a 1.57GB update. I guess that's the patch? Do we have notes?

Not yet, but pretty much:

Ribbons: You get them for doing stuff (X amount of whatever). They'll give you 300xp and you can get them indefinitely.

Codices: Get 500 kills with a certain weapon and you get 25k xp.

Class ranks go up to 50. As of now all you get is some dog tag and something to put on your player card. They'll be adding more in the future.

Nerfs and Buffs. Gas got nerf from 22s to 15s.

^I guess they just went up.

EatChildren

Awesome, thanks a heap guys.

Seems the same as the community test server changes?
Still no revive fix :/

LORANT92

You also get a battlepack every ten class ranks above 10, which makes me even more sour that previously gained XP doesn't count towards the new ranks.

Would've been at rank 20 with Support, Assault and Medic and above 30 with scout.

Plus there's no elite codex for the Model 8 or the Selbstlader 1906.

1 point for effort
out of 100

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
You also get a battlepack every ten class ranks above 10, which makes me even more sour that previously gained XP doesn't count towards the new ranks.

Would've been at rank 20 with Support, Assault and Medic and above 30 with scout.

1 point for effort
out of 100

WTF is this true??? FFS DICE!

Redders

1 point for effort
out of 100

Where is it listed what the total XP requirements are? Couldn't see it in the notes. Interested in what my 4.1 million medic score would mean if they had made previous XP count.

Filben

Why do I cannot choose a squad mate to spawn by from the list at the bottom left? Wasn't that possible at release? I have to click on the spots at the map instead. inconvenient.

EDIT: Wanted to join a game with a mate. Found server but she did NOT get the notification that I was playing. I invited her, she tried to join: "unknown error". After I left the server she were moved in (there was enough space before, though). Then I joined and was put in the queue. Why is this game still so bugged?

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Are the class levels glitched? Just played two games with assault and it still only says I'm level 10 with zero progression to level 11.

Ozorov

Are the class levels glitched? Just played two games with assault and it still only says I'm level 10 with zero progression to level 11.

You Shall Not Pass!

There were a similar bug in Battlefront when they released a big update. Maybe they decided to implement that feature in this game also. /s

Top Bottom