• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, I really hate the fact that Fao Fortress, Suez and Sinai Desert are all so campy. It just makes operations a fucking pain in the ass. Basically takes out three of the ten maps in oeprations since I know that i will get stuck with a team that refuses to attack.

Last night, i said fuck it, I am tired of playing Argonne forest everyday, but we couldn't even take the first sector on Fao Fortress on the first battalion. There were times where i was the only one moving up. This happens way too often, but this time I was actually able to get to B on every life, but no one spawned on me. I went on so many streaks clearing out B but no one joined me.

In one life, I actually captured B by myself and then defended it against 10 players before finally dying and we still lost it. Thankfully some folks quit after the first two battalions and I managed to get a tank and actually captured a few objectives with it instead of camping at the top of the hill. That by the way needs to be fixed. Even when we got to the fortress, they all stayed up instead of jumping down and capturing the fort. I had to go and get both B and A. And then back to B to stop them from taking it back. Absolutely bizarre. Just look at this scoreboard.

C4CECHdXUAAGdh-.jpg

Looking at the enemy team, they didnt have any amazing players with a high number of kills. We just didn't push. I dont know what DICE can do about it, but maybe they can make the maps narrower for operations and take out the hills in both Fao Fortress and Sinai Desert altogether. Make them out of bounds. That's where most of the snipers camp so maybe that will make them move up a bit.The dunes in Suez are fine, but let's not give them a freaking train. It's so hard to take out the train while getting sniped on that map.

Hey guys, I've been wondering if I should get BF1 on PC but I'm not sold yet. I've been playing some Bad Company 2 recently to scratch my Battlefield itch and it's the only Battlefield game that I'm enjoying. I never found BF3 or BF3 this fun, there was something about those games that just didn't click with me. As someone who enjoys BC2 but not BF4, is BF1 recommended?

I didn't like BFBC2 all that much but i still liked it a lot more than BF3 and BF4 which were sniper fests thanks to Assault Rifles having crazy range and just poor hit detection, lag and map design. The last BF game i loved was BF 1943 on consoles which was released just before BC2. It was infantry focused, had smaller maps and good weapon balance. Thanks to the nerfed weapons in BF1, you are not going to get sniped by ARs, or outgunned by medics at close range. Sniping requires skill and is going to leave you at the bottom of the leaderboards if you hang back. If that sounds appealing to you than BF1 is the game for you. Operations is the best mode since Rush was introduced in BFBC2. It's not entirely infantry focused, but the tanks have to take on 20 players on the enemy team since they are split b/w just two flags, not 5-6 flags like in Conquest.

So i just got disconnected from a server where at least 4 people were using aim hacks... fucking hell. That one guy one shot sniped everyone from his light tank. Every shell a hit. Rocks? No matter. Line of seight... who needs it.

At least the constant server disconnections cut that shit short.

Are the connection losses as bad on consoles as it is on PC for me?

SliChillax

I didn't like BFBC2 all that much but i still liked it a lot more than BF3 and BF4 which were sniper fests thanks to Assault Rifles having crazy range and just poor hit detection, lag and map design. The last BF game i loved was BF 1943 on consoles which was released just before BC2. It was infantry focused, had smaller maps and good weapon balance. Thanks to the nerfed weapons in BF1, you are not going to get sniped by ARs, or outgunned by medics at close range. Sniping requires skill and is going to leave you at the bottom of the leaderboards if you hang back. If that sounds appealing to you than BF1 is the game for you. Operations is the best mode since Rush was introduced in BFBC2. It's not entirely infantry focused, but the tanks have to take on 20 players on the enemy team since they are split b/w just two flags, not 5-6 flags like in Conquest.

You might have convinced me to buy the game. I loved BF 1943 and had totally forgotten it. I only Rush mode, was never a Conquest fan but Operations sounds great.

Is it me or is that quick play matchmaking just awful?

It always puts me into the team with a lot of new players and i always have to switch teams manually to get a win.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think I'll ever stop complaining about the anti-tank play in this game. I don't think I'll ever stop being utterly bewildered at the colossal level of human failure some teams are composed of in regards to anti-tank. It's shocking. Actually shocking, if not horrifying, how unbearably crippled some of this play is. I'm convinced at times it's so bad it constitutes as a genuine handicap; some kind of collective mental deficiency to not make any effort at all to take out a tank.

It's....I can't describe it. How can a team of this many people be so incompetant and deranged. Do they just not know? Do they not care? Am I the only goddamn person out of 32 making an effort?

Yet again an admittedly skilled player in a heavy tank decimated our team. On Fao Fortress. And going by the scoreboard I was one of only a tiny portion of team players using assault, and in play the only person trying to destroy it. I literally cannot with my ammo limit, not with two anti-tank grenades, a light anti-tank grenade, and the rocket gun. It's a fucking heavy tank. And yet again I watched as I'd expend every single shot I had, nobody dropped ammo to help me out, nobody made a single effort to damage it (mortars, mines, charges, TNT, k-bullets, etc) other than me, and inevitably the tank would simply sit there and heal back to full.

That player alone was on 40 something kills to zero deaths before I decided to tap out and let my godforsaken, horseshit team suck up the rest of that loss. The antithesis of fun.

Yes, I'm mad, but for real: how are people that fucking unbearably stupid and incompetent? I am totally okay with a wide range of skill level on a team, everyone deserves to have fun, but in cases like this where we're getting collectively rolled over by a single fucking player time and time and time again do 31 players decide to do fucking nothing.

I'm convinced this is either the highest level of idiot, match ruining selfishness, or people are so unusually new to Battlefield that they don't even realise anti-tank play of any kind exists.

I feel like crying.

WillyFive

It's a combination of BF becoming popular enough that it is attracting a lot of former CoD players (therefore they have no idea how to play BF), and that BF is really poor at teaching new players how to play the game.

That is the biggest issue BF has to tackle, how to teach its player base how to play.

Donos

Had similar games like Eatchildren. It's frustrating and i always wonder why nobody cares that this guy is doing 60:1. In these moments, when every single hit has to count ...that's when you land ricochets -_-.

Then i played Operations Ballroom Blitz attackers with buddies, on monday and saw that a tank is free (i usually give it to buddies).The moment i was in it and advanced a bit (sector before the Ballroom Castle), i saw at least 5 Assault guys converging on me. Took 2 out but had instantly more on me. A buddy was repairing me but i did not survive long. Rocket guns / anti-Tank grenades everywhere.

That's how i feel almost every time i'm in a tank which is not often.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I don't think I'll ever stop complaining about the anti-tank play in this game. I don't think I'll ever stop being utterly bewildered at the colossal level of human failure some teams are composed of in regards to anti-tank. It's shocking. Actually shocking, if not horrifying, how unbearably crippled some of this play is. I'm convinced at times it's so bad it constitutes as a genuine handicap; some kind of collective mental deficiency to not make any effort at all to take out a tank.

It's....I can't describe it. How can a team of this many people be so incompetant and deranged. Do they just not know? Do they not care? Am I the only goddamn person out of 32 making an effort?

Yet again an admittedly skilled player in a heavy tank decimated our team. On Fao Fortress. And going by the scoreboard I was one of only a tiny portion of team players using assault, and in play the only person trying to destroy it. I literally cannot with my ammo limit, not with two anti-tank grenades, a light anti-tank grenade, and the rocket gun. It's a fucking heavy tank. And yet again I watched as I'd expend every single shot I had, nobody dropped ammo to help me out, nobody made a single effort to damage it (mortars, mines, charges, TNT, k-bullets, etc) other than me, and inevitably the tank would simply sit there and heal back to full.

That player alone was on 40 something kills to zero deaths before I decided to tap out and let my godforsaken, horseshit team suck up the rest of that loss. The antithesis of fun.

Yes, I'm mad, but for real: how are people that fucking unbearably stupid and incompetent? I am totally okay with a wide range of skill level on a team, everyone deserves to have fun, but in cases like this where we're getting collectively rolled over by a single fucking player time and time and time again do 31 players decide to do fucking nothing.

I'm convinced this is either the highest level of idiot, match ruining selfishness, or people are so unusually new to Battlefield that they don't even realise anti-tank play of any kind exists.

I feel like crying.

It's times like these (which, admittedly, are fairly rare in my experience) that I resign myself to sitting in the spawn screen and waiting for the next tank (arty truck) to become available.

terrible

Banned
So I'm MVP 44.39% of the time. That seems.. high.

I can't find myself. Does it require me to play a match right now?

I don't think everything is working correctly right now. My stats are at least 2 weeks old. I haven't played on Xbox since the 22nd and I show up so I don't think you need to play a match right now to show up.

I feel like crying.

Nope I'm right there with you. And it's not even like heavy tanks either. Just the one seater light tanks are a pain for one person to take on.

Had one basically camping A on Monte.. He would let our team start to take it then roll in, kill everyone, cap it then just sit on the outer edge. I died over and over trying to take it down. But not one of my teammates were will to help.. All I needed was just one other to help.. Thats all. But They kept on throwing themselves to death with medics and recon. So after the 5th time dying, I'm like "fuck it, let them have it" and went off to a different flag.

I feel like crying.

Because of stuff like this im hoping that the anti tank stuff gets a tiny buff. Sure teamwork blabla...
This same shit happened to me a lot too already. A lot of assaults running around but no one is fighting against the K/D tank whore...
All pick this anti tank grenades to kill infantry...

Turkoop

Banned
People who are going 0-24 and have 2000 score in Operations. Why even play then. Sure he has no fun also..

There was someone last night with 5-52 or so. In a 2000 tickets match. I have no idea how people can play with those bad stats, how can they enjoy the game ?!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Seem's I'm not alone then. I really enjoy anti-tank play. Shame so many players, aka an overwhelming majority of the team, don't feel the same way.

Tonight was better, except for one match on Suez. We had a heavy tank squatting our A flag and it was absolutely hilarious how fucking garbage my team was at approach it. A quick couple of counts on scoreboard showed our team had something like...4 assault players, myself included. Every other shitmeal was too busy playing their point and click adventure sniper battle to pay attention to the fucking heavy tank taking our closest spawn. Rubbish. If I could perma ban them from the game I would.

The rest of the matches were fine, with the exception of air. Incompetence just shifted in that direction. To their credit their light fighter pilot was very, very good. But man, we were just fucked. We couldn't do anything air related at all, nobody in the gunner seats could hit shit, and I was literally the only person who tried using the AA guns across two matches.

I really don't understand how some players can function. The needs a proper commander mode or something where objective priorities can be indicated, like a team wide notification that our air is useless because of a dominating player nobody is addressing. Then again, much like squad commands, people probably wont listen anyway.
"Oh, there's a heavy tank taking our nearest spawn? Someone else will deal with it because MAN I love sniping!!! :D :D :D"
"Can you please use your k-bullets to stall repairs.'
"Yay sniping :D :D :D"

Seem's I'm not alone then. I really enjoy anti-tank play. Shame so many players, aka an overwhelming majority of the team, don't feel the same way.

Tonight was better, except for one match on Suez. We had a heavy tank squatting our A flag and it was absolutely hilarious how fucking garbage my team was at approach it. A quick couple of counts on scoreboard showed our team had something like...4 assault players, myself included. Every other shitmeal was too busy playing their point and click adventure sniper battle to pay attention to the fucking heavy tank taking our closest spawn. Rubbish. If I could perma ban them from the game I would.

The rest of the matches were fine, with the exception of air. Incompetence just shifted in that direction. To their credit their light fighter pilot was very, very good. But man, we were just fucked. We couldn't do anything air related at all, nobody in the gunner seats could hit shit, and I was literally the only person who tried using the AA guns across two matches.

I really don't understand how some players can function. The needs a proper commander mode or something where objective priorities can be indicated, like a team wide notification that our air is useless because of a dominating player nobody is addressing. Then again, much like squad commands, people probably wont listen anyway.
"Oh, there's a heavy tank taking our nearest spawn? Someone else will deal with it because MAN I love sniping!!! :D :D :D"

I really have resigned myself to just bother Tanks. I don't even hope to take them out. As an assault player it's a win if I can shoo them away, after hitting them with 4 rockets, 2 Tank Grenades and a light tank grenade.

Then again I always use K bullets to harass tankers. It's just too fun to see them scramble once they realize that they're still in enemy line of seight.

That is unless on PC I get one shotted again from across the map by a tank behind a rockwall.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seem's I'm not alone then. I really enjoy anti-tank play.

I would, if it was useful. But it isn't, so I don't bother.

Maybe if DICE actually designed their sandbox balance...

Who in all honesty uses K-bullets? I think I have them equipped like 50% of the time and like 99% of the time never use them. 5 shots to pot-shot a tank that'll just back away and self-repair elsewhere. If the damage stuck (and the pilot required an engineer and/or getting out) I'd anti-tank more. But nope because DICE is dumb and allows folks to repair INSIDE the fucking vehicle.

I'm better off using the Spot Flare and Claymores.

SlimySnake

I would, if it was useful. But it isn't, so I don't bother.

Maybe if DICE actually designed their sandbox balance...

Who in all honesty uses K-bullets? I think I have them equipped like 50% of the time and like 99% of the time never use them. 5 shots to pot-shot a tank that'll just back away and self-repair elsewhere. If the damage stuck (and the pilot required an engineer and/or getting out) I'd anti-tank more. But nope because DICE is dumb and allows folks to repair INSIDE the fucking vehicle.

I'm better off using the Spot Flare and Claymores.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOU5WPIN_Ak

Your K-Bullets can do 30 damage total. From hundreds of meters away. If he hides and repairs you have done your job by taking him out of action for the next 30-60 seconds. More than enough time to take an objective.

This is going to be tough to say without coming across as a douche or lecturing, but i think every class and especially the sniper class needs to carry anti-tank measures. Especially after the addition of anti-tank crossbows for support and medic classes. Medics should carry medkits and revive syringes so they can be exempt but everyone else should have anti-tank weapons. Those satchels do 40-50 damage and Kbullets can finish off tanks easily.

I usually only play Operations which means the tanks have to deal with 20 people all converging on one or two locations. I hardly ever see people go 40-0 because whenever I see a tank, i forget about everything else and just focus on it. Two anti-tank grenades and one light anti-tank grenade can do 50 damage. Then i have 4 rockets that do 18 damage each. Even if i die after the first three grenades, i know that he will go back and heal for the next 30-60 seconds giving us time to regroup.

Last night, i played monte grappa operations with 11 snipers. I counted. It was extremely frustrating but we somehow prevailed after two battalions. the only good thing those snipers were doing was making sure the tanks didnt roam free.

The game just needs to make it more rewarding to take out these tanks. I should be allowed to set the Behemoths as an objective, set tanks and other turrets as an objective. Spotting just isnt enough. I do 80% damage and die in the process and the guy gets not just the kills but also 250 points each for vehicle disabled and vehicle destroyed bonuses? And I get 10 points total for a kill assist? like wtf. Whatever happened to Assist counts as kills anyway?

Another thing they can do is add Overwatch like post game reward screens. Right now I dont know anyone who looks at BF1's spotlight screen. Who cares if someone got 4k Assault or Squad score? Or even flags defended.

Add real stats like Tank damage, Capture Kills, Revives and heals. Spotlight the best Medics and Support players so everyone can see how they contributed to the team, and have the players vote on them. leave snipers out of the post match reward screen altogether unless they are out there getting spot assists, capturing kills, assisting tank kills and capturing flags. And then give the top player in every category a guaranteed battlepack. Then watch people play the objective.

Otherwise all these CoD players will turn BF1 into CoD.

terrible

Banned
If everyone chipped away at tanks they'd go down real fast. Nobody cares about doing that though since they're not going to get that sweet sweet 75 assist counts as kill if they only do 30 damage. Maybe they should just go full Overwatch when it comes to vehicles and give everyone a kill if they dealt damage to it. Yeah it's come to this.

The game just needs to make it more rewarding to take out these tanks. I should be allowed to set the Behemoths as an objective, set tanks and other turrets as an objective.

I would love this. I wish there were more squad orders/commands as well. When I'm playing Support, I want to broadcast to everyone "who needs AMMO?!?" It seems like 90% of players are oblivious and will use up their entire ammunition without requesting more (especially snipers who shoot their flares, or assaults who use their AT rockets and never ask for more). I actively feel like I need to babysit teammates sometimes.

My compromise is placing an ammo crate/medical crate in popular infantry areas, but it's definitely not ideal.

I bought this game when it was $30 and got the chance to play it this week. Unfortunately, I play one level and then when the match is over at the scoreboard/loading next match screen my CPU gets ridiculously hot(100c) and shuts off my PC.

This game is insanely fun, but can anyone tell me if my problem is common? This hasn't happened with any other game ever.

Surfinn

I bought this game when it was $30 and got the chance to play it this week. Unfortunately, I play one level and then when the match is over at the scoreboard/loading next match screen my CPU gets ridiculously hot(100c) and shuts off my PC.

This game is insanely fun, but can anyone tell me if my problem is common? This hasn't happened with any other game ever.

Is this a brand new behavior? sounds like your heatsync is dying or died. Have you tried playing other games since this started happening?

The same thing happened to me a few years back and I found out I had to replace the heatsync.

Is this a brand new behavior? sounds like your heatsync is dying or died. Have you tried playing other games since this started happening?

The same thing happened to me a few years back and I found out I had to replace the heatsync.

It's new behavior and it's the only game it happens to. It's super strange honestly. It's the default heatsink which is never great, but I've never had a game push the heat so high. Since no one else is having the issue and no other game is having the issue I'm lost, haha!

Surfinn

It's new behavior and it's the only game it happens to. It's super strange honestly. It's the default heatsink which is never great, but I've never had a game push the heat so high. Since no one else is having the issue and no other game is having the issue I'm lost, haha!

Ah, it could also be that the default heatsync just isn't very good and it's been running hot without your knowledge. BF1 is a super intensive CPU game and it also makes my temps run higher than in other games.

You should take a look at the average/max temps when you're playing other games. Either way, you should never be hitting temps that high so you should probably replace it anyways. Try to keep your temps under 80c.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

That does not sound at all normal and I haven't heard of anyone else suffering from that issue. I'm not sure why the loading screen of all things would be driving your temps so high, but perhaps someone else more technicially-minded can chime in?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hadn't played this in a while (pc) but today I load up the game and the AA is horrible and things look so pixelated on ultra/maximum. I'm hearing a recent patch caused this?

SliChillax

Just bought this on PC and the progression system is already making me hate the game. So I have to rank up to a certain level to unlock a weapon and then still have to buy it? Campaign was incredibly boring and short although I didn't buy it for that and multiplayer feels snappy but is it just me or the sniper is useless? I'm pretty good at sniping in general but here it feels like I can't hit anything even if the target in front of me is not moving. I also couldn't find any Operations games which was weird, I'll try again later. I'll give the game more time as I have only played 2 multiplayer matches so far or maybe I'm missing something but I'm simply not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. Time to boot up Bad Company 2 again.

Just bought this on PC and the progression system is already making me hate the game. So I have to rank up to a certain level to unlock a weapon and then still have to buy it? Campaign was incredibly boring and short although I didn't buy it for that and multiplayer feels snappy but is it just me or the sniper is useless? I'm pretty good at sniping in general but here it feels like I can't hit anything even if the target in front of me is not moving. I also couldn't find any Operations games which was weird, I'll try again later. I'll give the game more time as I have only played 2 multiplayer matches so far or maybe I'm missing something but I'm simply not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. Time to boot up Bad Company 2 again.

Snipers are the strongest they have ever been due to the sweet spot mechanic (you can OHK someone depending on the range). Each sniper rifle has a different sweet spot range, so you just have to find the one you like. The SMLE probably has the best sweet spot, 40m to 90m.

I feel like crying.
It seems to be a product of getting matched with terrible players. A lot of times when I face a tank on foot, there are Assault players harassing tanks. However there are times when my teammates are completely focused on infantry and ignore tanks. So I get into a Heavy Breakthrough tank and ruin any tank snipers/campers day.
So I'm MVP 44.39% of the time. That seems.. high.

I don't think everything is working correctly right now. My stats are at least 2 weeks old. I haven't played on Xbox since the 22nd and I show up so I don't think you need to play a match right now to show up.
Wonder what's wrong.

SlimySnake

It seems to be a product of getting matched with terrible players. A lot of times when I face a tank on foot, there are Assault players harassing tanks. However there are times when my teammates are completely focused on infantry and ignore tanks. So I get into a Heavy Breakthrough tank and ruin any tank snipers/campers day.
Yep. A team with lots of assault players can be a nightmare. Last night I got into a game with like ten assault players. they wouldn't let us into the underpass on Monte Grappa. We even took B up on the mountain easily, but they were taking out our tanks in literally seconds. Hell, I was being harrassed by Medics who apparently get three crossbow shells? We needed a behemoth for that sector and then another for the last sector.

But here is the fun part. The next map Empire's Edge was much more manageable after we got the first sector. We lost on the second to last sector but because it's more open and doesn't have many chokepoints all those Assault players couldn't stop us from taking one sector after another. Even though we lost, it was a good game because our team kept pushing.

Had a similar game on Ballroom blitz and Argonne Forest where the other team took out our train in less than a minute but we still managed to get to the last sector in just one battalion (or maybe two). I like these close games where we arent just running over a side or getting bogged down in a chokepoint for an entire battalion.

Filben

I started again after months and I am shocked in what condition this game is.

You can clearly see why this is a mass production. While delivering aesthetical and excellent visuals and a very dense atmosphere of the WW1 and tries to appeal to anyone it is really unpolished and inbalanced. First of all there's so much randomness, for instance spawning infront of an enemy. Of course, this could happen vice versa but a free kill like that isn't very satisfying. In operation the team with most soldiers on a flag wins. Last point to capture, two guys of our team were on flag but got 'out-conquered' (without dying, however) by like five soldiers. They got the flag and won. No 'match point', no 'overtime' or anything like that. We could have die way earlier anyway. Wouldn't matter and such pointless effort is highly demotivated.

Then there are still so many bugs. People cannot be revived in specific circumstances. Last game I couldn't use my mortar: I put it down, used it, died, respawned and I wasn't able to deploy a new one probably because the game thought 'hey, you already have deployed one!', too bad this was before my spawn.
The climbing mechanics are still bugged sometimes. Animation of climbing an obstacle appears but my soldier stays in his spot and wouldn't climb anything.
Occasionally, the user interface behave odd, too.

So much potential left untouched. It can be pretty fun at times especially with a full squad and at least some coordination. However, it's pretty rough around some edges that really impairs the overall experience.

EDIT: forgot another thing: door animations lacking behind. So rushing in gives you an advantage.

The loading issues are really starting to annoy the hell out of me. Being stuck on a loading screen for minutes and being forced to reboot is ridiculus. That's without mentioning the black screen issue I am getting. If these issues aren't fixed in the next patch I'm done with the game.

Top Bottom