• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
To the people already playing how would you rank bf1 amongst the others in the series?

It's pretty close to the top in my book. The destruction and environment design really elevate this game.

Also nice that battlepacks are purely cosmetic. Just wish there were some more interesting skins, but I'm sure we'll see those as time goes on.

To the people already playing how would you rank bf1 amongst the others in the series?

Well, maps are some of the best imo. There are some classics in here for sure. Much better than BF4s to me. DLC we will see.

Gameplay to me is one of the best simply because theres no technology. Makes it a lot more skill based and fun. No lock-on rockets etc. Also i have to say, i dont mind not seeing any of those aggravating choppers.

To me its one of the best and most accessible from what ive played. And its "era" really helps it. I foresee COD going back in time real soon.

Reposting for new page:

Anyone else having an issue with the companion app on iOS where when you go to customize loadouts:

1) It doesn't give you all the options for your gadgets (I.e. It doesn't have the ammo crate for Support, just the pouch.)

2) It resets all of your customization you made in the app and you start with all the default loadouts.

It's pretty damn frustrating. I guess I'll have to do all my customizations in-game for now.

CHC

Been playing the Mud and Blood campaign through the EA Access Trial....

Wow - it's good! I'm actually quite surprised. It's very competently written and structured - there are actual characters and some semblance of a narrative arc. The missions are also pretty fun and open ended. Definitely liking this.

Multiplayer is still downloading but I'll probably try it soon.

Fury451

Banned
It's really not, PS4 version here. I had a few FPS slowdowns but nothing that took me out of the game immersion wise. It runs well 99% of the time.

After about 6 hours of play, I can second this.

Not sure if people are saying "Ps4 runs terrible", but if they are, really not sure what they're basing that on. It has some slight occasional hiccups compared to say Battlefront, but it also has way more going on that that game does. It runs better than BF4 also imo.

To me it's a really solid Battlefield game and I'm quite happy with it so far.

Tovarisc

It's pretty close to the top in my book. The destruction and environment design really elevate this game.

Also nice that battlepacks are purely cosmetic. Just wish there were some more interesting skins, but I'm sure we'll see those as time goes on.

Can't wait for those sexy tiger stripe and hello kitty skins!

Pastry

Banned

Not sure if people are saying "Ps4 runs terrible", but if they are, really not sure what they're basing that on. It has some slight occasional hiccups compared to say Battlefront, but it also has way more going on that that game does. It runs better than BF4 also imo.

Yeah, maybe I'm just used to BF4 but I've honestly thought the game runs pretty damn well for what is going on.

jacobs34

To me it's a really solid Battlefield game and I'm quite happy with it so far.

This is good to hear. I was hesitating buying the game based off of some the impressions earlier in the thread. Everything about the game, especially the multiplayer, is right up my alley.

Screw hardcore mode. What this game needs is the "Classic" preset from BF4. Sadly few people know about. It's like the best of both the Normal and HC preset:

100% health so you can actually outgun campers and snipers are not even more insane than they already are.
Minimap
No doritos (3D spotting)
No regenerating health
Remaining ammo in magazines gets discarded when reloading

I love that preset so much.

I really REALLY wish this preset was pushed more. Dont forget spawn leader only spawning.

I hate hardcore's shit health system.

Btw, how is spawning? I hate people spawning on top of the objective because it can become such a bitch to get shot in the back from an area you thought you cleared.

I noticed in beta you would spawn relatively outside the objective, which is pretty good.

Id personally much prefer spawning only on leader, flag, and vehicles.

Ozorov

I really REALLY wish this preset was pushed more. Dont forget spawn leader only spawning.

I hate hardcore's shit health system.

Btw, how is spawning? I hate people spawning on top of the objective because it can become such a bitch to get shot in the back from an area you thought you cleared.

I noticed in beta you would spawn relatively outside the objective, which is pretty good.

Id personally much prefer spawning only on leader, flag, and vehicles.
You spawn pretty far from the objective

Daffy Duck

xyMUcDj.jpg

Thanks SimplyGames. £41 and early.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah, maybe I'm just used to BF4 but I've honestly thought the game runs pretty damn well for what is going on.

This is good to hear. I was hesitating buying the game based off of some the impressions earlier in the thread. Everything about the game, especially the multiplayer, is right up my alley.

I'll give you an example of the only notable hitch I've had- riding in the back of an armored care around a heavy firefight at a capture point during 64-player operation mode. I get out to capture, run about 10 feet and hear a massive explosion, to turn around and see a flaming Zepplin has crashed into the armored car I just left. Right at that point I'm killed by a fighter/bomber that dropped its payload right near me. There was a couple brief stutters when it all came together, and it smoothed out pretty fast after.

Otherwise it's the pretty unnoticeable stuff that most games have, so maybe I'm used to it, but I'm usually bothered by consistent framerate issues and haven't really seen that.

That said, it may depend on the maps because some of them have a lot going on and there may be more frequent dips people see there. Personally think at its worst it's equal withBF4 in performance though.

AEREC

There are certain maps that are more taxing than others...but BF4 runs a bit better overall than BF1.

Was taking the church point yesterday on st quentins scar and with everything going on the framerate was consistently in what felt like the low 20's for a while.

Vic_Viper

How large is the download on PC?

And is there a 3 hour trial period with EA Access like Battlefront had?

Can't decide if I should wait since there's so many shooters coming out in the next few weeks or just give it a go. Plan to get it when I upgrade my GPU anyway. Going from a gtx 950 to a 1070.

How large is the download on PC?

And is there a 3 hour trial period with EA Access like Battlefront had?

Can't decide if I should wait since there's so many shooters coming out in the next few weeks or just give it a go. Plan to get it when I upgrade my GPU anyway. Going from a gtx 950 to a 1070.

It's like a 40GB download and it unpacks to be 47GB. You have a 10 hour trial period with EA Access.

Anyone ordered from Amazon and getting am expected delivery date of October 26? Talked to support and they're saying it'll automatically fix and be shipped out tomorrow but I'm a bit skeptical...

renzolama

The game doesn't run like garbage on PS4, but the people claiming that it runs great 99% of the time either (a) haven't played any of the really taxing modes in the game (b) have a very, very subjective opinion of "great" or (c) are being purposefully disingenuous. Here's a good example someone posted earlier of the kind of performance you can expect in the game's more popular large multiplayer modes:

https://youtu.be/s8S4cIUb3Y0?t=6m1s

Consistent shuffling between 25-35 FPS with a big variance in frametime is not at all what I'd consider great performance in a shooter. Even in the best cases, the framerate varies from around 30-50 with the changes being dramatic enough to be felt easily if you're sensitive to framerate drops. I'm not trying to start an argument about whether the PS4 version is bad, because I've played it extensively on both PS4 and PC and the PS4 version is perfectly serviceable/enjoyable, but I also don't think its fair to tell people who are making purchasing decisions that the game runs great without quantifying that statement and giving more details.

Vic_Viper

It's like a 40GB download and it unpacks to be 47GB. You have a 10 hour trial period with EA Access.

Thanks. Going to do that and see how I like it.

Anyone know if the Operations mode is included with the trial? Really want to check that out since I've been hearing really great things about it.

Pastry

Banned
It's a small detail but the fact that I can have multiple loadouts per class really makes me happy. Makes adjusting to situations on the fly much easier.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It's a small detail but the fact that I can have multiple loadouts per class really makes me happy. Makes adjusting to situations on the fly much easier.

Really? How do you do this may I ask please?

I am only level 8 at the moment so haven't unlocked much and may not even be available yet?

Kalentan

So I'm roughly half way with the campaign now.

Impressions thus far:

The cutscenes/voice acting is pretty good thus far and I do like the tone the game has going for it. They finally designed missions a bit more openly and seemed to have stopped chasing COD in trying to make very scripted set-pieces (although there is obviously some scripted stuff in there.) So that's been fun...

However I'm not a big fan of them using MP maps as the levels. I get what they're going for. I remember they said they wanted to make the SP and MP feel connected. To really get that Battlefield experience in the Single-Player but it does honestly come across as a bit lazy. More so since these maps aren't even changed that much in any meaningful way.

So overall it's on the right path... But it does feel like they did cheap out a little bit. Even if I understand why. I also think the stories could be a little bit longer. Just cause I don't feel like I ever really get to see these characters develop or anything.

Keasar

Too bad about the SP if your thoughts are accurate. I was hoping all the good buzz was legit.

There was good buzz for a reason. All they kept showcasing was the Through Mud and Blood mission and that one was actually pretty good. The problem is that everything is downhill from there, none of the other campaigns comes near in being the same scope.

You get high expectations from that first one but quickly it deteriorates after that. Heck, I think they were internally confused how to develop this game. If you play Through Mud and Blood there is a stealth section where you sneak around a French village in the night, and the game won't -ever- warn you or tell you about this during this mission but all of a sudden you get a small button prompt that tell you that you can throw shell casings for distraction (once again with shoddy A.I reacting to it). THEN in the second story Friends in High Places you get also a stealth section after crashing your plane and there all of a sudden you have an entire bit dedicated to getting a shell casing and being able to throw it to distract enemies, complete with animations and scripted event to show you "This is what you use to distract enemies".

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Screw hardcore mode. What this game needs is the "Classic" preset from BF4. Sadly few people know about. It's like the best of both the Normal and HC preset:

100% health so you can actually outgun campers and snipers are not even more insane than they already are.
Minimap
No doritos (3D spotting)
No regenerating health
Remaining ammo in magazines gets discarded when reloading

I love that preset so much.

I could not agree more.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

Impressions thus far:

The cutscenes/voice acting is pretty good thus far and I do like the tone the game has going for it. They finally designed missions a bit more openly and seemed to have stopped chasing COD in trying to make very scripted set-pieces (although there is obviously some scripted stuff in there.) So that's been fun...

However I'm not a big fan of them using MP maps as the levels. I get what they're going for. I remember they said they wanted to make the SP and MP feel connected. To really get that Battlefield experience in the Single-Player but it does honestly come across as a bit lazy. More so since these maps aren't even changed that much in any meaningful way.

So overall it's on the right path... But it does feel like they did cheap out a little bit. Even if I understand why. I also think the stories could be a little bit longer. Just cause I don't feel like I ever really get to see these characters develop or anything.
Thought chapter 1 was a bit boring. 2 was fantastic, though, and gives me enough confidence to play through the rest.

I am disappointed the Harlem hellfighters was just the prologue.

Pastry

Banned
Really? How do you do this may I ask please?

I am only level 8 at the moment so haven't unlocked much and may not even be available yet?

When you're at the loadout screen press L2 and go all the way to the left on the bottom to where the class is shown. When you get there you should be able to pick from one of three loadouts. You can then edit the loadouts individually and they save.

Impressions thus far:

Seems like a bad idea to play MP before SP.

Thriller

Okay a couple of thoughts/issues/questions :

- Why would I keep the skins I get from battle packs, do they add extra functionality to my weapon?
- If I scrap them why would I buy a big battle pack if I don't care for what's in them?

when I'm playing does anyone have the same problem that, when you want to select a weapon or look at weapon starts, the screen jumps back so you have to re-select the weapon you were looking at?

- Do medals only work in the story mode or whatever it's called?

and when will GAF people finally start using the community because I want to get into a squad with u guys :D

Tovarisc

Okay a couple of thoughts/issues/questions :

- Why would I keep the skins I get from battle packs, do they add extra functionality to my weapon?
- If I scrap them why would I buy a big battle pack if I don't care for what's in them?

If you don't care about cosmetics then Battlepacks are mostly useless for you. They do at random give you puzzle pieces and then you get enough of right ones they supposedly unlock some unique melee weapons, maybe worth it to look into.

The only reason I played the campaign was to see if there were any weapon unlocks, but it doesn't look like it so I stopped. I played Mud and Blood, Friends in High Places, and Avanti Savoia. They just kept getting worse.

Mud and Blood was actually decent.

Friends in High Places was fairly boring. Probably because it's mostly air combat.

Avanti Savoia was the worst. It's just the Monte Grappa and you kill waves of bad guys.

Thriller

If you don't care about cosmetics then Battlepacks are mostly useless for you. They do at random give you puzzle pieces and then you get enough of right ones they supposedly unlock some unique melee weapons, maybe worth it to look into.

Yeah I understood the puzzle part bit, meh, it's an incentive that motivates me but hey, at least they tried..

Nemic77

Reposting for new page:

Anyone else having an issue with the companion app on iOS where when you go to customize loadouts:

1) It doesn't give you all the options for your gadgets (I.e. It doesn't have the ammo crate for Support, just the pouch.)

2) It resets all of your customization you made in the app and you start with all the default loadouts.

It's pretty damn frustrating. I guess I'll have to do all my customizations in-game for now.

Yes, same thing happened to me.

LightInfa

Scoring question - on operations if you get to the second map it seems to me that the end scoreboard only shows stats from that second map? Am I correct in thinking that and If so what happens to the score from the first map?

Kalentan

Seems like a bad idea to play MP before SP.

Yeah. I played a bit of the Beta and then when I played the Nothing is Written War Story and got to the second 'mission' and looked around was like: "Wait... Wait a second, this is the multiplayer map!"

Then they proceeded to use the same map and location you already went to in the second mission for the third mission.

So yeah. Playing MP quite literally spoils you on the locales and not in a: "Oh, this is the section of the campaign they based that one MP map on" but more in the: 'This is literally the MP map."

TheRed

Yeah single player is pretty unexciting or interesting. At least it looks beautiful so I'll eventually play all the stories.

Tubie

Amiens is an amazing map wow.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game.

I love that you get rewarded a lot more for attacking or defending flags than getting kills.

Top Bottom