• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

I hope they rework medals.

Also, I want to turn this shit off:

d2zzzelquasx.png

RefigeKru

Banned
I've played most of the mainline battlefield games up to this point.

Enjoyed the Bad Company games, BF3+4 no doubt great but not without some deep flaws. BF2 has always been the holy grail for me.

This is a very good Battlefield game. I feel like a mug for saying it was like Battlefront
I still don't like that map
. Like seriously this is incredible.

Feels a dream after BF4 on PS4 too.

kriskrosbbk

I've played most of the mainline battlefield games up to this point.

Enjoyed the Bad Company games, BF3+4 no doubt great but not without some deep flaws. BF2 has always been the holy grail for me.

This is a very good Battlefield game. I feel like a mug for saying it was like Battlefront [spoilers]I still don't like that map[/spoiler]. Like seriously this is incredible.

Feels a dream after BF4 on PS4 too.

Are you saying u are happy with the PS4 performance.My copy is unlocked on 21st but some of the comments here make me scared.

Bru

Unlocked that gun last night and it's pretty good! Certainly way better than the first support gun.

The damage, accuracy and range combine to make the Benet-Mercie Telescopic a great support weapon. I snap fire with most LMG's as if they are semi auto's, it's a technique that allows me to hold my own against any class in the game.

Anyone else see a lot of Red Orchestra in operations mode? The same structure they have in RO2 campaign multiplayer with waves and attack vs defend feel very similar. Love it so far.

mf.luder

Any day one patch rumoured or anything like that? I've been caught up with finishing dying light and haven't been following too close.

Also looking for EST, casual (read no clan) gamers who PTFO.

Any day one patch rumoured or anything like that? I've been caught up with finishing dying light and haven't been following too close.

Also looking for EST, casual (read no clan) gamers who PTFO.
2.5 GB and there is a PS4 community you can Join :) search Neogaf battlefield 1

Is it just me or does Monte Grappa not run well? I've got a 1070 FTW and a i5-4670K and generally BF1 is running great at 1440p for me- usually well above 60fps with pretty much everything maxed out. The framerate on Monte Grappa seems like its usually right around 50-60 but it feels like its stuttering. I can't really tell if its something with my machine or if its lag...

Do people not know how to use the gas mask? I've been cleaning up just tossing a gas grenade into a chokepoint and watching them all run right into it and usually die.

Also ea access keeps popping up a trial reminder, I don't think I've seen then keep popping up before, is this a glitch or more aggressive advertising?

Tieske

Neo Member
The tone of the campaign and the actual gameplay clash so much, it kinda ruins the entire thing for me.

Not to mention the campaigns i've played so far play themselves, even on hard. Say what you want about CoD campaigns and their simplicities, they at least can provide somewhat of a challenge

So, I completed the single player.

It was.....okay, at best? At least the first mission Through Mud and Blood, that one was actually really good. I liked the characters, the length, the setting and the overall story. Then after that I feel like the rest was just lacking. Like they were really the low priority and they made one really good in order to constantly showcase it.

Friends in High Places had a interesting story but was short and had some seriously stupefied controllers for flying the airplanes (think Battlefront).

Avanti Savoia was short and played out on a multiplayer map. Felt a bit alright story wise but didn't really flesh out the characters.

The Runner had interesting characters but boring missions and was also short (this is pretty much the theme of all the missions except the first).

Nothing is Written had barely any characterization, played out on a multiplayer map and was just honestly boring too with a boring climax.

The Epilogue in the end was just a video.

Then there is not to mention the slapstick A.I which did some really silly shit while I was playing, you'd think in the budget they could afford some of the programmers who made the A.I for more successful open world shooters like Far Cry, Crysis etc. These were just really dumb.

As for the whole "Battlefield 1 Single-Player Campaign Embraces Series' Open Sandboxes" it really didn't. The airplane missions were strictly airplane when it was time for airplane and on foot when it was time for foot, though you could fly a little bit here there (but with seriously simplified controls, if this was supposed to prepare you for the multiplayer, prepare to fucking crash and burn repeatedly cause the controls were Battlefront style of simple while there is not such option in the multiplayer). Same with everything else, the only sandbox, sorta, was Nothing is Written which used Sinai Desert map from multiplayer as playground and you went around and did some stuff.

All in all, can we stop asking DICE to make single player now? There have been hints that they can do it (Through Mud and Blood was one such hint) but I feel that in the end it's just wasting people's time. It drains development resources and for those who buy the game for its single player only as some weird people do, its only gonna come out as a disappointment. Not that any of that budget would be reallocated to the multiplayer part as you would assume like a reasonable human being, that did not happen in Battlefront which had one of the most lacklustre contents ever for a multiplayer only game.

Yup, find it really annoying having to focus on one (at a time) of the objectives on each medal at a time. They ruin gameplay rather than enhancing it when I try to fullfill their objectives by going out of my way on focusing on singular things rather than picking a medal that fits my general style of play and just over time slowly filling it up.

Too bad about the SP if your thoughts are accurate. I was hoping all the good buzz was legit.

I know this is getting annoying, but can someone explain to me what the Conquest rules are? Is it Points per flag + Confirmed Deaths?

Isnt this worse than the beta version?

Did 4 out of 5 medals yesterday. Played for 14 hours. Killed 800 players. Reached level 25...

And I still can't believe how quickly I die against others.

Changed the servers (by the way, they are awful in South America), played with 14-20 ms ping and still think something is wrong. Maybe the bullets aren't registering correctly, or the 30 hz tick rate is just to low for today standards (I'm playing Overwatch on PC on the past 6 months and the improvements are amazing).

Overall.... a great game, but again Dice drops the ball in terms of servers day one.

And it's impossible to play Operations in South America. Matchmaking throws me at 200 ms ping matches, and when I got in a good match, I was alone in the room for 15 minutes.

Mugenjin

Is it just me or is the aiming a bit off on PC?

Just you.

Changed the servers (by the way, they are awful in South America), played with 14-20 ms ping and still think something is wrong. Maybe the bullets aren't registering correctly, or the 30 hz tick rate is just to low for today standards (I'm playing Overwatch on PC on the past 6 months and the improvements are amazing).

BF1 servers are 60 tick by default.

Pakoe

Is it just me or does Monte Grappa not run well? I've got a 1070 FTW and a i5-4670K and generally BF1 is running great at 1440p for me- usually well above 60fps with pretty much everything maxed out. The framerate on Monte Grappa seems like its usually right around 50-60 but it feels like its stuttering. I can't really tell if its something with my machine or if its lag...

You should probably post this in the PC Performance thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293131

Should be more helpful for you.

That the performance is terrible.

It's really not, PS4 version here. I had a few FPS slowdowns but nothing that took me out of the game immersion wise. It runs well 99% of the time.

Well i was playing it on xbox one for the trial, felt pretty smooth. I played one game on ps4 this morning and it didnt feel better than the xbox version did. I remember thinking that it felt a bit choppy actually.

I hope this isnt the case after the patch. I got it on ps4 cause of the performance boast....

Theorry

Well i was playing it on xbox one for the trial, felt pretty smooth. I played one game on ps4 this morning and it didnt feel better than the xbox version did. I remember thinking that it felt a bit choppy actually.

I hope this isnt the case after the patch. I got it on ps4 cause of the performance boast....

Problem is. BF games are CPU hungry. And the Xbox One has a "better cpu" so it will run abit better on Xbox One.
And you have the day one patch already btw. :)

Theorry

I know that. That's why I'm asking about the baseline res each one aims to hit. I know PS4 tries to hit 900p. What does XB1 go up to?

Xbone:
1100x620 up to 1780x1000.

PS4:
1100x620 up to 1807x1014

Well the Pro will fix this for me since im buying it. Sucks for the people who arent upgrading tho.

Dont expect locked 60fps and 1080p tho. Its still the same CPU as the PS4. Only overclocked.

RS4-

Well apparently a multikill for medal progression means you actually have to get something two people with a explosive/vehicle. Killing multiple people with a gun within seconds doesn't look like it counts.

RefigeKru

Banned
Are you saying u are happy with the PS4 performance.My copy is unlocked on 21st but some of the comments here make me scared.

I played a lot of BF4 on PS4 and both the framerate and connection at times would be noticeably janky causing the odd death, we all know it.

This is leagues better. Haven't found performance a bother once even if you might notice the odd dip, rare as they are they don't impact fluidity as in BF4.

I can't believe it's so smooth sometimes considering how bonkers the graphics are.

wbEMX

Well, VSync was activated. Don't know how I overlooked that, but it feels good now. Still getting stuttering and drops on St. Quentin for whatever reason, but yeah. Pretty good.

Mahonay

Banned
I played a lot of BF4 on PS4 and both the framerate and connection at times would be noticeably janky causing the odd death, we all know it.

This is leagues better. Haven't found performance a bother once even if you might notice the odd dip, rare as they are they don't impact fluidity as in BF4.

I can't believe it's so smooth sometimes considering how bonkers the graphics are.
Yup. Those arguing this performance is super bad must have not spent much time at all with any console Battlefield games, because they all run a lot worse than BF1. Especially BF4 on PS4 from my experience.

Having no Hardcore mode at launch is sort of a bummer. Hopefully they put this out, along with the Server Rentals, around the time of the full launch.

I need that Lt. Dan PS4 server in my life already.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game.

Mugenjin

Screw hardcore mode. What this game needs is the "Classic" preset from BF4. Sadly few people know about. It's like the best of both the Normal and HC preset:

100% health so you can actually outgun campers and snipers are not even more insane than they already are.
Minimap
No doritos (3D spotting)
No regenerating health
Remaining ammo in magazines gets discarded when reloading

I love that preset so much.

DarkStream

Okay, first of all: Well done DICE!
I have been a Battlefield player since the first one, but BF1 is the only one in recent memory that did so many things right!

First of all, the campaign (Spoilers)

First mission:

I loved the first mission when the American soldier and the German one looked into each others eyes, each one non verbally saying: "What the fuck are we doing here? We're both humans, just on different sides.

Second mission:

The mission with "Bess" was so good! Tense, good story without unecessary bla bla, A very human story as well. The end was so good!

Third mission:

Cool swashbuckler story! Being on the zeppelin was damn cool! Also love that when the two zeppelins collide, the brit, the american and the german jump off at the same time. Again, showing that we are one species, humans, but on different sidelines.

I haven't played any more of the campaign, but god damn! I was glued to the screen. Finally less COD-Style "War-Is-Dope-I-Am-The-Supersoldier-With-No-Remorse" schtick. It's been a while since I enjoyed a war story, but DICE nailed it.

Of course, it helps that the game looks stunning. Runs over 60 FPS on my 3770k/GTX970 @ 1440p and Ultra. G-Sync helps too ;-)

Naked Lunch

The sticky aim on consoles is out of control on this game. Its like all enemies have massive magnets on them - its like aiming isnt even required, the game does it for you. It feels worse than the beta. Since it defaults this way - its potentially a huge flaw.

Anyone else having an issue with the companion app on iOS where when you go to customize loadouts:

1) It doesn't give you all the options for your gadgets (I.e. It doesn't have the ammo crate for Support, just the pouch.)

2) It resets all of your customization you made in the app and you start with all the default loadouts.

It's pretty damn frustrating. I guess I'll have to do all my customizations in-game for now.

Top Bottom