• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

So I'm roughly half way with the campaign now.

Impressions thus far:

The cutscenes/voice acting is pretty good thus far and I do like the tone the game has going for it. They finally designed missions a bit more openly and seemed to have stopped chasing COD in trying to make very scripted set-pieces (although there is obviously some scripted stuff in there.) So that's been fun...

However I'm not a big fan of them using MP maps as the levels. I get what they're going for. I remember they said they wanted to make the SP and MP feel connected. To really get that Battlefield experience in the Single-Player but it does honestly come across as a bit lazy. More so since these maps aren't even changed that much in any meaningful way.

So overall it's on the right path... But it does feel like they did cheap out a little bit. Even if I understand why. I also think the stories could be a little bit longer. Just cause I don't feel like I ever really get to see these characters develop or anything.

Yeah, I've only played two actual missions so can't authoritatively say, but I doubt this is better than either of the BC campaigns. It just feels... too slight I guess? I think if each campaign were 5-6 missions long instead of 2-4 you could have more substantial arcs, but it doesn't seem like there'll be enough for a real emotional investment.

Gameplay-wise the first two missions were interesting and did have a bit of a 'Bad Company' feel to them, but the emotional beats feel extremely rushed. There's nowhere near enough downtime banter, for instance.

Kalentan

That's how I feel about it. It's pretty bare, but beautiful presentation.

It's their best effort in a while. But still feels like it does fall flat in comparison to Bad Company 1 and 2. Yet better than BF3 and 4. I think their on the right path, but it just needed a bit more to it.

Not to call any users out but I recall the initial trailer and some thinking it could be one of the best FPS campaigns ever. It's not... bad but one of the best FPS Campaign it is not.

Yeah, I've only played two actual missions so can't authoritatively say, but I doubt this is better than either of the BC campaigns. It just feels... too slight I guess? I think if each campaign were 5-6 missions long instead of 2-4 you could have more substantial arcs, but it doesn't seem like there'll be enough for a real emotional investment.

Gameplay-wise the first two missions were interesting and did have a bit of a 'Bad Company' feel to them, but the emotional beats feel extremely rushed. There's nowhere near enough downtime banter, for instance.

Yeah. It could have really used longer missions and more downtime. While I do appreciate that they tried to make the campaign more like the MP... I think they could have used some more 'linear' missions between the more open ended ones.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
When you're at the loadout screen press L2 and go all the way to the left on the bottom to where the class is shown. When you get there you should be able to pick from one of three loadouts. You can then edit the loadouts individually and they save.

Cool, nice feature. Thanks :)

Scoring question - on operations if you get to the second map it seems to me that the end scoreboard only shows stats from that second map? Am I correct in thinking that and If so what happens to the score from the first map?

I'm guessing it stores all that data, but doesn't display it for whatever reason.

I'd hoped to see all that info on the end screen.. but in the end its just for bragging rights.

Sucks when you do awesome on the first map and crappy on the 2nd though.

belvedere

Junior Butler
War tapes.

For those of you with 5.1 setups, what option are you choosing? In the past war tapes muted 3d audio a bit making it harder to determine where footsteps were coming from. Is this still the case in BF1?

CHC

So is the lag in these 64 person games just supposed to be fucking atrociously unplayable?

My ping is hover around 20 ms but whenever I run it's like I'm attached to a rubber band, the run speed keep pulsing and stopping every 3 seconds. And then I spot an enemy, get him in my cross-hairs, fire, and it's like I'm shooting blanks. Literally nothing happens.

So where are the Conquest naysayers and traditionalists?

The original change encouraged "PTFO" at all costs, but with the addition of kills/respawns counting up, it seems every contribution matters, including players who may play TDM instead of capping flags.

I am still incredibly disappointed with a lack of ticket bleed, which I think made BF CQ so special. It really does seem like Big Domination now. Is this accurate or not?

Hold any flags to gain points, as opposed to hold the most to drain tickets.

It's their best effort in a while. But still feels like it does fall flat in comparison to Bad Company 1 and 2. Yet better than BF3 and 4. I think their on the right path, but it just needed a bit more to it.

Not to call any users out but I recall the initial trailer and some thinking it could be one of the best FPS campaigns ever. It's not... bad but one of the best FPS Campaign it is not.

Yeah. It could have really used longer missions and more downtime. While I do appreciate that they tried to make the campaign more like the MP... I think they could have used some more 'linear' missions between the more open ended ones.

I think the first mission of Through Mud and Blood was pretty strong in having a strong driving impetus behind it, even if for 2/3rds of it it was a bit of a trifle. Fog of War though sort of feels like a tech demo of sorts for Stealth gameplay mechanics; it's 'interesting' but it's not as good as say Wolfenstein The New Order's stealth mechanics, which already were sort of the bare minimum necessary to be 'properly' stealth. Sneaking up on the hill and quietly offing the enemies at the end does feel good, but the general pace just feels rote, especially when you follow-up the mission with the PC and McManus getting into a shouting match and I'm like, I barely even know these characters, why is this end of Act II drama already happening? And of course it's because it's trying to condense a complete narrative arc into around 50 minutes of gameplay. And to be honest this could've worked if they'd had more scripted minutes in between which allows for character development, but as it stands it just feels really thin.

Bad Company got it right in having a 'wide-linear' approach to SP design, which BF1 seems to be going for, but that requires occasional scripted bottlenecks and downtime to refocus the player, and I don't think BF1 succeeds that well at that.

Anyone know what's up with the XP score that you see at the end of the game? It's like the ticker keeps going with Squad XP Score, and Medal score etc, but they don't seem to actually get added to your progress?

* Also the medal info updates in real time, but it's not reflected anywhere else where you can view the medal progress. At least it's way behind.

Anyone know what's up with the XP score that you see at the end of the game? It's like the ticker keeps going with Squad XP Score, and Medal score etc, but they don't seem to actually get added to your progress?

* Also the medal info updates in real time, but it's not reflected anywhere else where you can view the medal progress. At least it's way behind.

I've seen all kinds of weirdness. It seems to be tracking the stats properly even if they're not displayed right.

Last night after a round of Operations I got a -23/27 score. -23! I didn't even think I did that bad.. ;;_;;

RK9039

I think I'm hooked.

Had my first go on a bike in Conquest, it was really cool. Went straight to the furthest enemy flag from the side, they couldn't see me, easiest flag capture.

The bayonet charge is extremely satisfying

Its even more satisfying to hear somebody screaming from behind you doing their bayonet charge and then just turn around and shoot them down before they can get you.

Maybe its the way the maps are designed or something but I'm really digging Rush way more than past BF games. I've always loved Conquest the most of all the BF modes but I'm having a lot of fun with Rush and the Operations this go around.

B00TE

Man, I'm really loving cavalry. I just goof off and be a huge distraction, and the moments where you charge past a wall of enemies, trampling and slashing at them and get out relatively unscathed is just the best.

Bad Company campaigns were awful ugh what? BC1 was badly scripted sandbox game, with preset enemy placements who had magical eye sight across maps, poor AI. Funny cut scenes was only thing going for it.

BC2 was just another COD campaign clone, completely linear corridor shooter with random funny quips of banter in between.

I've seen all kinds of weirdness. It seems to be tracking the stats properly even if they're not displayed right.

Last night after a round of Operations I got a -23/27 score. -23! I didn't even think I did that bad.. ;;_;;

lol yep. I'll wait for them to get it sorted. The game's incredible, so I can live with a few bugs in the UI.

Oh man that M1907 SL Sweeper is damn brilliant, this match alone I took out so many groups from a far distance. Love this little bit I did earlier.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/VE3TRO/video/22576448/embed

CHAOS

Yes, that gun rocks!! Nice vid.

Rad-

All medic weapons felt a bit underwhelming and then suddenly Mondragon sniper rifle. WTF this weapon feels so much better than the others. 3 hits to kill at every range and it's accurate.

SuperSah

Banned
Amazon UK shipped my copy! It's in transit from Peterborough and I have Prime. Is it going to come tomorrow or Friday?

Pleaseeeee come tomorrrowwwwwwwww

I think it'd be neat if Operations had a bunch of modes in one.

In one section, you are trying to hold 3 flags at once. In another, it's a mini-Domination game where one side is trying to score X points, as opposed to holding all 3 at once. In another, you have a Station to destroy with explosives.

Kind of like Killzone 3's awesome Operations mode.

KaYotiX

Banned
cant wait for Hardcore mode, im just salty about hitting guys 3-4 times with a semi-auto rifle and they still wont die. Very annoying. It should at least kill in 3, maybe 2 if in the chest.

Tovarisc

cant wait for Hardcore mode, im just salty about hitting guys 3-4 times with a semi-auto rifle and they still wont die. Very annoying. It should at least kill in 3, maybe 2 if in the chest.

Every DMR kills in 3 hits to chest area or 1 to head and 1 to chest. If it takes more than 3 hits then it's on you and yours skill.

Greenymac

War tapes.

For those of you with 5.1 setups, what option are you choosing? In the past war tapes muted 3d audio a bit making it harder to determine where footsteps were coming from. Is this still the case in BF1?

Man, Ive kinda been wondering myself. Ive used wartapes and then tried headphones. But cant come to a conclusion of what's best. Using astro a50s.

Ozorov

Tank hunter vs air Behemoth. Think I killed 6-8 "drivers" and destroyed one of the driver cabins. And god that Tank Huntet weapon sound

Top Bottom