• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

lem0n

As a CoD fanatic, I was cautious coming into this one. I gave in to hype and bought, though. Damn, glad I did! I haven't played a competitive online shooter for more than 1 or 2 rounds in quite some time. I just played for like 4 hours! What a blast!

In retrospect it's kinda funny how when this game was leaked to be in the world war 1 setting everyone was saying that this time period would be boring and we'd be doing nothing but sitting in a trench. Fast forward to today and we now we have this game which is possibly the most intense and cinematic battlefield game yet.

The Stealth Fox

In retrospect it's kinda funny how when this game was leaked to be in the world war 1 setting everyone was saying that this time period would be boring and we'd be doing nothing but sitting in a trench. Fast forward to today and we now we have this game which is possibly the most intense and cinematic battlefield game yet.

It's because the game is sped up and everyone runs at 200 mph. Also, notice how there aren't that many trenches? They chose to represent areas which wouldn't be boring to play.

Are there no custom servers that run only certain maps? I don't want to join a server with Argonne Forest or Suez in the rotation. Big maps only plz for conquest.

Is the new conquest now just old conquest but with the counter running in the opposite direction now? Hah.

jeffc919

Went 54-0 in a heavy tank on St. Quentin Scar conquest mode. I expect tanks will get nerfed fairly hard at some point. They can be taken down for sure (more often than not somebody gets me before I can complete that kind of massacre) but a lot of players obviously have no answer for them right now.

The funny part is that my team still barely won. We won by about 20 points and at one point the other team nearly tied it late in the game. I spent the entire game trying to hold flags D through F, and occasionally C.

It's because the game is sped up and everyone runs at 200 mph and made it not like WW1. Notice how there aren't that many trenches? They chose to represent areas which wouldn't be boring to play.

Almost all the maps have trenches or fortified positions surrounded by bunkers and pillboxes. Argonne forest, Ballroom Blitz, St. Quentin Scar, Fao Fortress...

Hell people are enjoying Operations so much because it's an intense "take the hill and storm the trenches" back and forth gametype.

DeaDPo0L84

By a metric fuck ton I do. Dumper with medium range is how I roll.

That's my play style too. I like to play the objective hard and constantly moving closer to the enemy as opposed to taking shots from afar. People are hyping the mondragon up as being op and while I can do good with it I don't enjoy using it for some reason. So what exact model are you using and is seblaster the correct name?

It's because the game is sped up and everyone runs at 200 mph and made it not like WW1. Notice how there aren't that many trenches? They chose to represent areas which wouldn't be boring to play.

Are there no custom servers that run only certain maps? I don't want to join a server with Argonne Forest or Suez in the rotation. Big maps only plz for conquest.

Is the new conquest now just old conquest but with the counter running in the opposite direction now? Hah.

Not quite. BF1 Conquest is Domination really, but now kills add to your score. It's still not a great system compared to OG conquest, but at least medics are worth using to keep your team's deaths from adding to the enemies score.

And yeah, while I initially liked Argonne Forest, it has one too many choke points for my liking. The map needs to be just a little wider, and it would play great.

That's my play style too. I like to play the objective hard and constantly moving closer to the enemy as opposed to taking shots from afar. People are hyping the mondragon up as being op and while I can do good with it I don't enjoy using it for some reason. So what exact model are you using and is seblaster the correct name?

Just the first model. Haven't really jumped THAT deep into DMRs.

The Stealth Fox

Not quite. BF1 Conquest is Domination really, but now kills add to your score. It's still not a great system compared to OG conquest, but at least medics are worth using to keep your team's deaths from adding to the enemies score.

And yeah, while I initially liked Argonne Forest, it has one too many choke points for my liking. The map needs to be just a little wider, and it would play great.

Isn't the difference between conquest domination and conquest only the fact that flags cap in like 6 seconds or less and you can't spawn on them? I'm not sure what you mean. Even conquest domination had ticket bleed in BF3 from what I remember. My understanding of the current conquest is that holding more than half the flags causes the score to run up instead of run down, no?

hunchback

Who do I contact about not getting my Early Enlister items, MS or EA?

Is Rush still considered the best mode to start with if your new? I have been playing single player to get comfortable. Now I think I'm ready but probably not, lol.

DTKT

The progression system leaves a lot to be desired. I've already almost maxed out the Medic class. It's such a step down from BF4.

Foxxsoxx

Oh my God I just played with one of the worst teams I have ever had in BF.

Operation Desert maps. Almost every single teammate was a sniper. All the squads were locked. They all went horribly negative. No squadmates team spawned. Didn't get revived once in an hour long match. Received ammo once after spamming this guy with the comma rose. No one... NO ONE was on a flag at any point. I was quite literally soloing it as a medic/assault to destroy tanks and heal myself when we got swarms of blueberry enemies coming by.

The noobs are here... that was one of the most frustrating matches I have ever played.

ron_bato

I keep joining Operations games with less than 10 people in it. -_- whyyyyyyyyy. Please add a quick match option for operations please.

There are way too many filters for Operations

You can select your operation set, and number ofp players, and thag probably splits the player base way too much

-hadouken

This game is great but I am having the damnedest time "SEEING" anything.)

Originally Posted by Jarrod38

While I don't mind the weather effects like the fog and sandstorm I think they go on just a tad to long.

Yeah the fog on the map with that fort latest what seemed like the last 20 mins of the match and it was pissing me off.

Yup - technically beautiful, though BF1 is hard on the eyes. The blinding fog (even inside sealed houses!) the vaseline blur (storm on Empire), the sand storms, the gas, the smoke, the faux glare. The game is literally giving me eye strain. Unless it's toned down and made less frequent, I'll be moving back to BF4.

The Stealth Fox

The progression system leaves a lot to be desired. I've already almost maxed out the Medic class. It's such a step down from BF4.

I actually like the simple progression system, a la BF2/2142. Keep it simple and I don't want to have to unlock optics and laser sights for all 6000 guns over and over.

Isn't the difference between conquest domination and conquest only the fact that flags cap in like 6 seconds or less and you can't spawn on them? I'm not sure what you mean. Even conquest domination had ticket bleed in BF3 from what I remember. My understanding of the current conquest is that holding more than half the flags causes the score to run up instead of run down, no?

In classic conquest, there is "ticket bleed" when one team holds the appropriate amount of flags on a given map. During this time, the team holding more flags loses no tickets, except when one of their players dies. The team with fewer flags starts to lose tickets in addition to each death that team suffers.

Ideally this is motivation for teams to always strive to hold more points, because forcing the ticket bleed is the number one way to win conquest games. And the more flags you hold, the faster the bleed. In older BF games (before mandated uncappable "bases"), if one team capped all the points, the game would basically instantly end.

Neither system is perfect. This one is a little more fair, if boring, but it does little to encourage miraculous comebacks in the same way the other system did (though counting kills DOES help). Amazing come-from behind victories and last minute holds are more commonplace in Classic Conquest, but so are one-sided stomps. But at least in Classic Conquest, one-sided stomps are over relatively quickly. Most games in BF1 Conquest seem to last a similar length of time, with little regard for how lopsided the teams are skill-wise (assuming the team counts aren't horribly unbalanced as well).

The Stealth Fox

In classic conquest, there is "ticket bleed" when one team holds the appropriate amount of flags on a given map. During this time, the team holding more flags loses no tickets, except when one of their players dies. The team with fewer flags starts to lose tickets in addition to each death that team suffers.

Ideally this is motivation for teams to always strive to hold more points, because forcing the ticket bleed is the number one way to win conquest games. And the more flags you hold, the faster the bleed. In older BF games (before mandated uncappable "bases"), if one team capped all the points, the game would basically instantly end.

Neither system is perfect. This one is a little more fair, if boring, but it does little to encourage miraculous comebacks in the same way the other system did (though counting kills DOES help). Amazing come-from behind victories and last minute holds are more commonplace in Classic Conquest, but so are one-sided stomps. But at least in Classic Conquest, one-sided stomps are over relatively quickly. Most games in BF1 Conquest seem to last a similar length of time, with little regard for how lopsided the teams are skill-wise (assuming the team counts aren't horribly unbalanced as well).

Conquest Assault has been basically dead since BF3. Does holding more than half the points not accelerate the score in BF1?

Also I notice that people aren't really playing all that differently in this conquest vs the old one. I still see the normal game flow and pepper trying to hold the entire map

Conquest Assault has been basically dead since BF3. Does holding more than half the points not accelerate the score in BF1?

Your team's score goes up slightly faster, but the other team's score still goes up as well assuming they hold at least one flag (regardless of kills). It's just much harder to catch up to a team that gets ahead early in this game, as they can coast far longer than you used to be able to in older versions of conquest. Assuming relatively even teams, if your team has a 100-ish point lead when they hit 900, the game is basically over unless your team just stop playing.

And yeah, I was honestly never the biggest fan of Conquest Assault. It's great in theory, but requires too much teamwork and thinking for the typical pub match.

Naudi

Banned
Yup. This game is fun! Intense as fuck at times and shooting feels good. Playing it in PSVR is actually pretty damn cool. Feels like I'm watching saving private Ryan at times.

Surfinn

Just had three games in a heavy tank:

58-3
43-0
58-6

Yup I'm liking BF1. Once people figure out that attacking tanks wins games it will be a lot harder to do this.

StewboaT_

Just played my first game of operations and god damn was it ever intense. Complete bloody carnage. Performancr on ps4 was acceptable for the 40 man battles. Gonna give conquest a go now :)

Xyber

Had a nice hacker in my game earlier. He was just a floating gun which couldn't be killed running around 1-shotting everyone.

Fairfight doing good when a guy like that makes it the lvl 12 without any problems.

Had a nice hacker in my game earlier. He was just a floating gun which couldn't be killed running around 1-shotting everyone.

Fairfight doing good when a guy like that makes it the lvl 12 without any problems.

My last game was pretty funny. I was watching the feed and nine people got ban before the game finally ended. It makes me wonder how many aren't getting ban.

"Them devils ain't so tough. Us boys will knock out those fortifications easy."

Some of this dialogue and voice acting is cringe worthy. Still having a great time though.

If I didn't enjoy the multiplayer in Battlefield 3, 4 or Hardline, will this likely change my mind?

I want to play through the campaign -- which I've heard is only five hours long -- so I will be playing it sometime. I'm just debating whether to wait for the library to get it in, or buy a copy, play it for a week then return it. (Assuming I won't like the multiplayer.)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So...

I just spent about 3 hours with the BF1 trial.

I die instantly in about half of my spawns. Commonly from spawning right on top of enemy infantry. It's also often a sniper or a tank.

If I try to spawn in a safer location I spend a couple minutes running across the map only to get sniped.

It's really fun if I manage to find some good cover, but I almost always die instantly from someone who got the jump on me.

I want to like this game, but my desire to keep playing is rapidly diminishing...

Trojan

I'm downloading the game now on PC and it's telling me I can play at 33%...is this accurate or am I going to get the dreaded "please wait while we load the game"?

If I didn't enjoy the multiplayer in Battlefield 3, 4 or Hardline, will this likely change my mind?

I want to play through the campaign -- which I've heard is only five hours long -- so I will be playing it sometime. I'm just debating whether to wait for the library to get it in, or buy a copy, play it for a week then return it. (Assuming I won't like the multiplayer.)

I wouldnt recommend the game. Its still the same battlefield type MP. SP is just an extra addition IMO. You should buy a battlefield game because of the MP.

I'm downloading the game now on PC and it's telling me I can play at 33%...is this accurate or am I going to get the dreaded "please wait while we load the game"?
Its the SP.

Beepos

So...

I just spent about 3 hours with the BF1 trial.

I die instantly in about half of my spawns. Commonly from spawning right on top of enemy infantry. It's also often a sniper or a tank.

If I try to spawn in a safer location I spend a couple minutes running across the map only to get sniped.

It's really fun if I manage to find some good cover, but I almost always die instantly from someone who got the jump on me.

I want to like this game, but my desire to keep playing is rapidly diminishing...

Dieing randomly is a part of Battlefield MP (and also war).

In saying that you will get better at surviving the more you play. Use cover between each time you spring and move in zig zag. Also prone when you are getting hit (as long as it's not in the open)

Playing with increased FOV certainly helps me and let's you keep scanning people getting behind you.

The biggest thing you can do is not run into areas people expect. Spend the extra 30 seconds flanking and getting the drop on your enemies.

Also, maybe try other game modes and see if they fit you better.

Top Bottom