• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
iam220 said:
Overpowered vehicles are not a good thing even if the other team gets one too.

"Overpowered" vehicles are fine if they are limited in number. They break stalemates and can't be everywhere at once. Again, they really weren't a problem in BF2, and like I said before I bet this has more to do with balancing scores than balancing the game. And the only reason balancing scores matter is because of this obnoxious unlock system.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
skullwolfgp said:
"Overpowered" vehicles are fine if they are limited in number. They break stalemates and can't be everywhere at once. Again, they really weren't a problem in BF2, and like I said before I bet this has more to do with balancing scores than balancing the game. And the only reason balancing scores matter is because of this obnoxious unlock system.
It was for sure a problem. People gradually stopped playing maps with jets in them.

Sethos

Banned
Made a lil' Gif of someone's very long range headshot.

i1PhuZGPzurQv.gif

iam220

Woo-Fu said:
You call it overpowered, I call it a force multiplier. It is supposed to be overpowered.

Yeah I understand that. I just don't agree with it from a gameplay point of view. Sure its fun for the jet pilot, but not so much for the people on the ground. Needs of the many , etc.

Just not a fan of overpowered stuff in mp, intentional or not.

Dina

skullwolfgp said:

Of course it's a problem. Air was horribly overpowered in BF2, especially if the pilots knew where the AA batteries were and what the 180 turn radius they covered.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
SapientWolf said:
It was for sure a problem. People gradually stopped playing maps with jets in them.

Only a minority of people stopped playing maps with jets on them, if you don't believe me look up the ratio of BF2 servers with "infantry" in the name versus not (it's like 1:10)

Ezduo

Banned
skullwolfgp said:
They break stalemates and can't be everywhere at once. Again, they really weren't a problem in BF2
Disagree with both of these points right here. There wasn't a map in Battlefield 2 where a plane couldn't get to any part of the map in more than 15 or 20 seconds before turning around back to base to refill health and ammo. If your team didn't have a pilot up to par the other team basically had an unstoppable killing machine that could take out any infantry, vehicle, or helicopter regardless of where they were on the map within half a minute with little to no risk of being shot out of the sky before going back to base and coming back with full health and ammo.

I dont think jets would be OP if we had proper Anti-Air, AA tank is useless and can barely disable a chopper after hitting 10 times (no kill),
Kinda ruins the fun.

New PC finally ready, have a 360 wired controller with me. Time to finally try out the beta....later tonight. Much later. But first, baseball game to watch and a midnight movie ›_›

iam220

I'm only getting lag in like 1 of 4 servers *shrug*. My filters are Capsian Border, North America and 1-5 slots.

Are you guys referring to the horrible rubberbanding that occur on some servers or is there some other type of lag that I'm not noticing?

I am experiencing a stutter for like 1-2 seconds as soon as I exit a vehicle, any else getting that? Makes bailing from tanks really annoying :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SirButterstick said:
Why the insult?

Jet's aren't underpowered. It's all about playing smart, knowing when to run away, stay low, etc.
More of an insult to the jets than you. It would take most people a good 10-20+ hours of flight time to get those.

SapientWolf said:
More of an insult to the jets than you. It would take most people a good 10-20+ hours of flight time to get those.

Well, everything's accelerated in the beta. I just made sure I spawned in the jet at the start of the round. I was getting a new unlock every 2-3 rounds towards the end. It's really not that hard . . .probably took 3 hrs or so.

SirButterstick said:
Why the insult?

Jet's aren't underpowered. It's all about playing smart, knowing when to run away, stay low, etc.

Make a new account and start from scratch now that lots of people have flares and guided missiles.

Wanna see what what your opinion is then.

Why? I had to go through the same process everyone else did.

I do agree that there's a little funkiness with them. Either unlock the flares from the start, or lower the "disabled" threshold so the planes can take two missiles. I say even do the same with choppers and tanks.

I just want to know how the mortar works in this game.

I want to know if its going to be a cool complex indirect fire tool like the mortar in Forgotten hope and Wallenstein Enemy Territory or some gimmicky mortar like farcry 2 .

SirButterstick said:
Why? I had to go through the same process everyone else did.

I do agree that there's a little funkiness with them. Either unlock the flares from the start, or lower the "disabled" threshold so the planes can take two missiles. I say even do the same with choppers and tanks.

But you most likely did it at the same time as anyone else, which means you were fighting against people with no flares and no missiles.

I didn't play for 2 days and every freaking one has missiles and flares and I didn't. It took me an entire afternoon to finally get some freaking flares.

FStop7

Banned
Oh wow, the UMP really is as overpowered as everyone says. I picked some dude off at 100m with it.

The vehicles have introduced a whole new level of hilarity to this game.

Best one so far - grabbing a jeep at the US spawn, driving like a madman through the storm of bullets and rockets at the checkpoint, including splitting between two enemy tanks before they realized I wasn't one of their guys, hauling ass to the enemy controlled gas station, mowing down some dude in the parking lot and then doing doughnuts on his corpse until someone finally managed to blow me up. I had to quit out after that because I was laughing to hard to go on.

vaelic

Banned
lazybones18 said:
New PC finally ready, have a 360 wired controller with me. Time to finally try out the beta....later tonight. Much later. But first, baseball game to watch and a midnight movie ›_›
A controller???

DTKT

gibon3z said:
I just want to know how the mortar works in this game.

I want to know if its going to be a cool complex indirect fire tool like the mortar in Forgotten hope and Wallenstein Enemy Territory or some gimmicky mortar like farcry 2 .

We can't use them yet.

Woo-Fu

Banned
SirButterstick said:
I just went 31-0 in a jet.Of course, I'm maxed out in the jet category. Using Maintenance, IR FLares, and AGTM's.

And I'm sure >90% of your points were from other jets/helicopters, you should mention that before the infantry get their panties in a wad.

The way the map works and the way AA doesn't work vs. a capable jet pilot once you manage to knock the other guys out of the sky the first time you can pretty much lock down their airstrip/helipad if you've got another good pilot on the team. Most of the time they won't make it off the runway and if they do you're already on them.

FStop7

Banned
Hellcrow said:
I hate unlocks. I fucking HATE unlocks.

But I love Battlefield.

Fuck, it is stupid that I have to crawl through piss just so I can have a competent gun or being able to have a even dog fight. Why can I only use the machine gun, while Mr. Baron rapes everything in the air because he has played every single hour since the beta has been released and has flares, rockets and fucking stealth?

One of the problems is that many of the unlocks are kill based. Yet Battlefield has objective based multi. So you get people who will go out and disregard objectives because they're trying to rack up kills in order to unlock stuff. I'm actually guilty of this because I've been trying to get the UMP, SCAR, and other stuff unlocked so I can do better at actually playing for the objectives. IMO the unlock system would work better if it were based on succeeding at objectives.

J-Rock

Banned
FStop7 said:
One of the problems is that many of the unlocks are kill based. Yet Battlefield has objective based multi. So you get people who will go out and disregard objectives because they're trying to rack up kills in order to unlock stuff. I'm actually guilty of this because I've been trying to get the UMP, SCAR, and other stuff unlocked so I can do better at actually playing for the objectives. IMO the unlock system would work better if it were based on succeeding at objectives.

Agreed. They definitely need to up the reward for people who go for the objectives.

Shai-Tan

Banned
vaelic said:
Any good guides out there on overclocking a 5850 and core 2 duo 2.8 and all the recommended software to do it?

i wouldn't bother overclocking the c2d... it won't make that much difference whether you're 2.8 or 3.4, game just likes quad core

AndyD

aka andydumi
The multiplay servers are awesome. Butter smooth. Then I was in a laggy one and noticed instantly, was getting killed while in cover and all that jazz. Lag makes such a big difference its incredible.

J-Rock said:
Agreed. They definitely need to up the reward for people who go for the objectives.

They need to tie points from objectives into weapon unlocks.

I.E. Capturing points, squad assists, squad heals, squad revives, squad objectives etc should count towards weapon unlocks in some ways.

I feel like I'm punished for supporting my team by ignoring kills and running around the game reviving, throwing down medpacks and giving covering fire. Then at the end of the day when it comes down to me shooting some people down, I'm left with a gimped weapon whereas people who just fuck over their team for their K/D ratio get bad-ass weapon accessories. Lame.

vaelic

Banned
Shai-Tan said:
i wouldn't bother overclocking the c2d... it won't make that much difference whether you're 2.8 or 3.4, game just likes quad core
Wow I'm silly.. I have a quad core not core 2 :) my question remains :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
FStop7 said:

Yep. I wish the ribbon points would also get added to your most frequently used gun. That way you are encouraged to actually do things that earn ribbons, from supply to destroy vehicles or take objectives.

Who cares if the points count towards me unlocking some stupid new dogtags. Make the ribbons count towards weapons and items.

Shai-Tan

Banned
vaelic said:
Wow I'm silly.. I have a quad core not core 2 :) my question remains :)

it may help to get an overclock guide for your motherboard specifically else look for a generic guide like q6600 overclocking (or whatever your chip is). if you're lucky there will be a guide with pictures of the bios in it

e.g. here's the guide for the motherboard in my old core 2 duo machine (p5b deluxe)

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

edit:

a generic guide (should work on core 2 quad as well)

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-hardware/103676-c2d-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Top Bottom