• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

longdi

Banned
if they fixed the hit box detection bug and balance the weapon/unlocks, then im all in for bf3 pre-order! CB is the type of fun i used to have!
runs with minimum hitch on 64p server @ 1200p and ultra settings except shadows at medium and without msaa, the repair sparks looks ugly though.

Kyaw

Orgun said:
Caspian border has definitely brought back that 'just one more game' feeling.

Hahahah, oh yes, i've definitely got that 'just one more game' feeling playing as Jet pilot.

Raping all the choppers and jets of the enemy team.
I'm sooo looking forward to dogfight competent pilots...

AndyD

aka andydumi
iSurvivedTheOutage said:
think im gonna have to whip out the old flight pad...

I did. Going to clean it up later, its covered in dust. Anyone know if there will be some sort of support plane as a mobile spawnpoint, like an AC130 or something we can just fly around as a parachute platform and a mobile flying cannon/machinegun post? Even if its limited to higher altitudes.

iam220

So I was quite positive on this game before but after trying Caspian border I'm going to have to cancel my pre-order. ... Just kidding. Best game ever. I think my jaw was down for the first hour of playing this map. It's like they took the best things from bc2, improved on them and mixed it in with the large scale combat of bf2. My only gripe thus far, aside from the bugs and lag of course is that the whole jumping over obstacles thing. The animation is really neat for it but it doesn't always work the way you'd expect it to, also it would be REALLY great if they added the ability to get up on chest-height or higher walls, it would be useful in a map like CB.

I'm calling it now, the major add-on/dlc for this game is going to be WW2.

Also, ATI users, I seemed to be getting more stable performance and less graphical glitches with the latest drivers. Update if you haven't already.

Xux

I hope there's music for the loading screens in the retail version. The game seems so empty without it.

Kyaw

AndyD said:
I did. Going to clean it up later, its covered in dust. Anyone know if there will be some sort of support plane as a mobile spawnpoint, like an AC130 or something we can just fly around as a parachute platform and a mobile flying cannon/machinegun post? Even if its limited to higher altitudes.

Well, there's the transport choppers... but they would be useless for actual transporting because the flags are so close to each other...

NEED TO SEE MORE MAPS.

.nimrod

I've spent most of the day in the jets, unlocked flares, heat-seeking missiles and 2-3 upgrades more, but the jets seem completely useless.

You don't make a lot of kills because of vehicle disabling, maybe 5-6 if you're good, and you're not helping your teammates at all.
They're really fun once you get the hang of it, but feel so pointless :/

sp3000

.nimrod said:
I've spent most of the day in the jets, unlocked flares, heat-seeking missiles and 2-3 upgrades more, but the jets seem completely useless.

You don't make a lot of kills because of vehicle disabling, maybe 5-6 if you're good, and you're not helping your teammates at all.
They're really fun once you get the hang of it, but feel so pointless :/

The fact that there are no bombs makes the jets really useless.

Seriously the balance in this game is totally screwed. Instead of making infantry useless they now make aircraft useless. The balancing team cannot get anything right....

Woo-Fu

Banned
woober said:
Although looking back at BF2, they somehow managed to make it so that it didn't feel like all the flags were centered in the map. Flying a jet in BF2 felt like you were in the air but always within range of a flag or above where ground combat was happening.

Oh definitely. I wouldn't take Caspian Border's giant cereal bowl design as representative of the rest of the MP maps. It almost feels more like a quick and dirty proof of concept than a really thought out map.

I hope.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
There's supposed to be air to ground missiles.

Copters get them. Course since they have the half-life of a box of Twinkies at PAX they might not get used that often.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, has there been any more indication for BF3 on 360? Two discs, one single player, and one multiplayer? All along with a high res texture pack that needs to be installed onto the HDD, right? I guess I need to finally retire my old 20 gig HDD.

.nimrod

Metalmurphy said:
There's supposed to be air to ground missiles.

Ground targets have to be marked with the SOFLAM (Recon class), which has to be unlocked like the missiles themselves.
And ontop of that do you still have to evade all those stinger missiles, AA tanks and other jets.

squidyj

Woo-Fu said:
Airpower is useless, the infantry complainers got their wish.

To be honest I think it's a little unbalanced with the way progression went in the Beta. Not to say that we won't see problems in release but everyone and their dog has been 'leveling' their infantry characters on metro since the beta began. That's a lot of cool toys to have picked up before introducing vehicles

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere in this giant thread but have we found out if we are going to be able to create new soldiers or change our names ingame? Last I heard we were stuck with our Origin account names.

Josh7289

Black_Stride said:
Config file edit

- Config File Location C:\Users\Username\Documents\Battlefield 3 Open Beta\settings

Flight inversion:
Set:

Scheme1FlipY 1
Scheme1FlipCameraY 1
Where the heck is this file? All I have in the settings folder is:

meta.xml
PROF_SAVE_body
PROF_SAVE_header

EDIT: Nevermind. I needed to look at it in a hex editor.

Hm, I actually like where they've gone with the vehicle balancing. Infantry gameplay is good enough in bf3 that it should play the most important role. Vehicles are good for transportation, support and fun. I personally dislike war games where everyone is in their own vehicle all the time, it just doesn't feel as dynamic.

nomis

Woo-Fu said:
"Infantry Complainers", aka "Battlefield Players". Sorry if 60 out of 64 players on your server don't like getting butt raped by your jet.

1-D_FTW

Mr Sandman said:
All the vehicles are useless. Helis get torn apart by everything and anything. My tank gets disabled by some guy hiding in some rocks and even though I have 50% health, I can't move to a better position to kill him? This disabling bullshit has to go, or be tweaked.

I never thought the vehicles would be worse than BC2. Blows my mind.

Actually I take that back, the AA tank is ridiculous. Portable and armored VADS, great idea right there.

Only got in one round with CB, but I was relieved they had portable AA tanks. Was the reason I liked Desert Combat so much. Aircraft should have some things on the ground that put fear into them. It was always unrealistic how they were treated like fortified tanks in Dice games. Aircraft are brittle and have a specialized support role in war.*

* Real war. Not the US wars where they have total air superiority and need to only worry about the occasional farmer taking down one of their Apaches.

scoobs

the only reason the game kinda blows is 90% of the players dont go for any objectives and just prone on a rock or in a bush and play really obnoxiously. Im hoping that in the retail game more people will play the game how its meant to be played

Am I right in thinking that Caspian borders wasnt part of the ps3/ xbox beta because its just too big for the amount of players consoles support? If so im worried the map selection on consoles will be poor.

iam220

Woo-Fu said:

As someone who just dominated as a chopper gunner it's say its far from useless. VS infantary it seems to do more damage than bc2 gunner currently does.

Jets do suck though.

1-D_FTW

bobs99 ... said:
Am I right in thinking that Caspian borders wasnt part of the ps3/ xbox beta because its just too big for the amount of players consoles support? If so im worried the map selection on consoles will be poor.

BF 2 scaled the maps based on player size. I'm sure they've scaled the maps to a smaller size and made them more focused for less players. I assume.

RedSwirl

Yeah I don't think I need BF3 right now. BC2 was pretty fun for the $20 I paid for it, but Indon't feel myself wanting to come back to BF3 after playing the beta, not even for the progression.

The wider problem personally is that I don't think I'm in the mood for competitive multi right now. I can see myself doing co-op Horde in Gears 3 for a while but that's about it. Now I feel myself jonesing for bots again. Why won't shooters just let us have those anymore?

iam220

scoobs said:
the only reason the game kinda blows is 90% of the players dont go for any objectives and just prone on a rock or in a bush and play really obnoxiously. Im hoping that in the retail game more people will play the game how its meant to be played

Are you playing on US servers? Everyone is constantly capping flags, it's really hectic. Try defending checkpoint or gas station.

jaaz

When maps change, my game is taking a long time to load, to the point sometimes that all vehicles are gone by the time I get in the game. And I have an SSD!

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Josh7289

Arrgh, so I was finally able to fix helo and jet controls, but now doing that has flipped tank controls! Is there no way around this?

I should be able to set inverted or not for each individual vehicle type.

Hellcrow

I hate unlocks. I fucking HATE unlocks.

But I love Battlefield.

Fuck, it is stupid that I have to crawl through piss just so I can have a competent gun or being able to have a even dog fight. Why can I only use the machine gun, while Mr. Baron rapes everything in the air because he has played every single hour since the beta has been released and has flares, rockets and fucking stealth?

desu

jaaz said:
When maps change, my game is taking a long time to load, to the point sometimes that all vehicles are gone by the time I get in the game. And I have an SSD!

Wanted to ask this before as well since I am experiencing the same problem. Metro had super fast loading but CB is slow to the point that enemy jets are already spawn killing me when I start in a new started round.

Got a 2600k, 8gb ram and 570gtx.

Jas

jaaz said:

I wish I knew since I'm having the same problem :(

Ryuuga

Banned
Menelaus said:
I'm pretty tired of 64 player Caspian. Not nearly enough vehicles.

Unsurprisingly, most migrated back to Metro.

Fake Edit: Also I'm having an issue where my teammates names aren't showing which has soured me on playing the last couple days.

iam220

Hellcrow said:
I hate unlocks. I fucking HATE unlocks.

Seriously. I can't believe people get enjoyment/sense of achievement from unlocking virtual items.

The devs jump on it probably because it's easier to balance, I mean if one of your guns suck you can just make it the starting gun that way it will still get some use. Where as otherwise, no one would ever touch it.

Emily Chu

Banned
iam220 said:
Seriously. I can't believe people get enjoyment/sense of achievement from unlocking virtual items.

The devs jump on it probably because it's easier to balance, I mean if one of your guns suck you can just make it the starting gun that way it will still get some use. Where as otherwise, no one would ever touch it.

wasn't there a 20$ pack that lets you unlock everything in BC2 ?

so gonna buy that because I just don't have the fucking time and want to play with the weapons I already paid fucking 69.99$ for

Friend of mine has been playing the beta perfectly fine since it started, but today he's been getting blue screens all the time.

He's not changed anything with drivers etc, so I don't know what's causing it.

There's no real fix that I can find, does anyone know any solutions?

Emily Chu said:
wasn't there a 20$ pack that lets you unlock everything in BC2 ?

so gonna buy that because I just don't have the fucking time and want to play with the weapons I already paid fucking 69.99$ for
It won't be day one most likely, but I'll be right there with you if I even get BF3. Working + other stuff leaves me less time to poopsock games like this, so I'll be happy if I can just buy everything.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
ACE 1991 said:
Think about it, the game normally only loads and displays high-quality assets when you're near them, because you can't get close to them.

When you zoom in on something, it suddenly has to load and display high-quality assets for stuff not only at your current position, but the position you're zoomed in on and probably everything in between.

I love unlocks. I don't know why. Whenever I reached lvl 25 in BC2, I made a new character to unlock everything again.

It's either because I'm an asshole, I like feeling like there's some kind of progression, or I have OCD :)

aeiko

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

my brother's game does this on his pc.. everytime he scopes in with the sniper on caspian.. it drops to like 16 fps or so. im sure the performance will be better on the retail.. it is just beta.

Top Bottom