• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Sethos

Banned
Two things that are already signs of this could be a very short pleasure for my part.

- The Player collision model. The shit where other players can basically move you. You can be laying somewhere and picking off a few people, boom someone spawns on your and you suddenly moved 2ft left, exposing yourself.

Another example was in the metro, in a small concrete hallway where there was a massive chokepoint. I slowly inch forward to pick off the guy laying on the ground, another player comes up behind me and he's able to push me forward and getting me killed.

Fuck that shit, I had to stop playing for 15 minutes to not explode.

- The delayed hit detection. Yes, Hit detection is great but it STILL has that fucked up shit from BC2. I was behind a few sandbags and a marksman had seen me. I peak up and he hits me, and I try to quickly spot him and get down but can't, so basically in the splitseconds where I'm dropping he fired a shot. So while I'm behind the bag I see a trail over my head and I die on the ground, well out of harms way.

This was a server located in my country with a ping of 14.

And both these things were in the Alpha and it pissed me off so good.

Cobra84

I'm kind of disappointed with Caspian. The map is too big and the gameplay isn't focused enough to make it actually feel like 64 players. At best it feels like 4 player per team fighting over an individual flag. Rush gets a lot of hate, but it doesn't feel like the sever is at 1/5 capacity like conquest does. I wish the vehicles didn't turn the map in to engineer wars.

The jets added absolutely nothing. They just shot at each other and did nothing to effect the ground battle. It's like a completely separate 7 vs 7 battle with 2 in the air and 5 assholes waiting on the runway.

woober said:
So when do they plan on releasing Caspian publicly for the PC Beta? If what zh1nto was hinting at is just letting people try Caspian in these 12 servers that are out there... lame.

Doubt it. Didn't he give out that password just a bit ago? That was probably was he was referring to.

Metalmurphy said:

You have mentioned this before I bet but what settings are you running? It looks great and you seem to get some good fps

EDIT Nevermind saw you talked about it on youtube

Cobra84 said:
I'm kind of disappointed with Caspian. The map is too big and the gameplay isn't focused enough to make it actually feel like 64 players. At best it feels like 4 player per team fighting over an individual flag. I wish the vehicles didn't turn the map in to engineer wars.

The jets added absolutely nothing. They just shot at each other and did nothing to effect the ground battle. It's like a completely separate 7 vs 7 battle with 2 in the air and 5 assholes waiting on the runway.

Keep in mind there is going to be different kind of 64 player maps. I can see its going to be inf focused between center objectives (forest, hill top) Also jets are mostly forced to fight each other because you have to unlock everything. Laser targeting is in the beta but cant be used ect.

moai

i fell for the MoH bullshit and bought the game solely for the beta (360). guess what, code has not arrived. i'm never falling again for this scams, terrible, terrible management from Ea, game shows on my Ea account and it's verified, no clue what has happened.

RoboPlato said:
I've been playing on PS3 and it has some of the worst screen tearing I've ever seen. Sometimes. There are five separate regions of the screen because of it. It's also pretty jaggy on PS3. The lighting is phenominal though and it plays great so I really can't complain.

I've been playing on 360 and its pretty much the same as you describe for the PS3

Cobra84 said:
I'm kind of disappointed with Caspian. The map is too big and the gameplay isn't focused enough to make it actually feel like 64 players. At best it feels like 4 player per team fighting over an individual flag. I wish the vehicles didn't turn the map in to engineer wars.

Did you play Battlefield 2? Caspian would be considered a medium/small conquest map, especially since the capture points are so close together. The point of 64 player conquest isn't to funnel everyone into one gigantic encounter, its to allow multiple encounters across a variety of points and to increase your options.

"Checkpoint" of Caspian was the one that everyone was going after, in my playthrough. Regularly had a large number of people/vehicles fighting for it.

A lot of feeling "lost" was probably because Caspian is a new map, the minimap sucks, and people probably do feel "lost".

Mr. Snrub said:
A lot of feeling "lost" was probably because Caspian is a new map, the minimap sucks, and people probably do feel "lost".

The mini-map is dreadful - can you bring up a full, in-game map?

And, as you say, 90% of Caspian is superfluous, the three control points are all bunched up together!

blahblah...blah said:
The mini-map is dreadful - can you bring up a full, in-game map?

And, as you say, 90% of Caspian is superfluous, the three control points are all bunched up together!

Not that I know of, You can press "m" which will increase the size of the mini-map slightly, but it actually looks more unclear to me.

Cobra84 said:
I'm kind of disappointed with Caspian. The map is too big and the gameplay isn't focused enough to make it actually feel like 64 players. At best it feels like 4 player per team fighting over an individual flag. Rush gets a lot of hate, but it doesn't feel like the sever is at 1/5 capacity like conquest does. I wish the vehicles didn't turn the map in to engineer wars.

So it's not a complete fragathon, which is exactly what Battlefield is all about. The nonstop action, meatgrinder etc gameplay is not Battlefield.

You can't draw conclusions from air to ground and ground to air combat yet. People are just trying everything out. When people start to play to win and learn the strong and weak points of the vehicles you'll see some proper combined arms combat.

blahblah...blah said:
What fps are you getting, and is that on full ultra? (Or, the beta ultra at least...)

Specs, settings, performance all in the utube descriptions.

meppi said:
Looks like someone needs practice. ;)
First time playing on that map and fraps was messing up the framerate. I'll do a couple more vids in a bit.

Also the sensitivity in the mounted guns is INCREDIBLY low.

Gunmonkey36 said:
Not that I know of, You can press "m" which will increase the size of the mini-map slightly, but it actually looks more unclear to me.
Think you can also press "n" which changes the scale of the minimap that helped a little bit but nothing compared to the old full screen map you used to be able to pull up in the old BF's

Kyaw

Got into Caspian Border for about 10 minutes.

MY GAWD... it was laggy!

The chopper physics were NICE... and the sounds oh my god.
The map is massive too.

meppi

Metalmurphy said:
First time playing on that map and fraps was messing up the framerate. I'll do a couple more vids in a bit.

That doesn't explain shooting an RPG at a tank from 500+ meters away and aiming straight at it with the iron sights, not accounting for gravity. ;)

Cobra84 said:

If im not mistaken there is a map that is 1.3~2 times bigger then caspian 4000 square meters or something like that.

meppi

Binabik15 said:
How do shotguns feel? How do shotguns kill? How awesome do shotguns sound?
I hope they nerfed them severely.

Out-sniping a sniper that uses a x12 just isn't right. It sure if fun, but it's not something that should be possible.

DTKT

Binabik15 said:
How do shotguns feel? How do shotguns kill? How awesome do shotguns sound?

Tomorrow should be here sooner ;_;

Kind of bleh.

Very short range, slow rate of fire, you die so fast versus an AR that you are better off with something that fires much faster.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So, anyone got the early access thing to work for the PS3? Why on earth am I getting this Not Authorized pop-up?

:(

Anyone willing to "share" it? :) I go in, download it off download history and Bam! I'm out! Like in 5-10 seconds...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
People want to use shotguns on maps like caspian border? wat?

No_Style

Cobra84 said:

Sounds like Battlefield 2 -- especially the jets comment.

On the flipside, you could have 64 player Karkand equivalent and have 64 players funnel into one or two capture points. Total clusterf*ck? Yeap.

Is there a thread for impressions on the actual game? I'm finding one impression every 6 or 7 pages in here. Interested how the game is on 360.

Kyaw said:
Got into Caspian Border for about 10 minutes.

MY GAWD... it was laggy!

The chopper physics were NICE... and the sounds oh my god.
The map is massive too.

You were probably in the game that I was in. Came second on Russians. I've played 3 games now and none of them have ever finished. Do the servers boot everyone right before the end?

USF

This beta reminds me of when I was crazy about MoH until I played its beta.
BF3 is more MoH-ish than BC-ish

No hate! Just saying. Else, I can't wait for the full game to come out.

USF said:
This beta reminds me of when I was crazy about MoH until I played its beta.
BF3 is more MoH-ish than BC-ish

No hate! Just saying. Else, I can't wait for the full game to come out.

Alpha felt nothing like MoH. I don't think I'll enter the beta and find out they changed the gunplay to be like MoH.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is still the least buggy Battlefield Beta of them all. I fully expect this game to get better between now and the retail release, and by the time the next big yet to be announced DLC drops, there will be a massive patch. It is the DICE way.

Kyaw

Bungieware said:
You were probably in the game that I was in. Came second on Russians. I've played 3 games now and none of them have ever finished. Do the servers boot everyone right before the end?

Are you Beefheart? If so, then yes.

Top Bottom