• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

MrOogieBoogie said:
Jeep catapulted hundreds of feet into the air due to an explosion.
ibu899KcBf7nfA.bmp

]
Awesome.

This is why I want to get back into a Caspian server later. I so saw much awesome shit... you just don't get that in Rush/Metro.

cackhyena said:
Wait, so what are the issues? This is the first I'm hearing of it.
It doesn't feel polished at all. When you die your camera clips through the ground, kill-cam sometimes shows some weird ramp that's beneath the level, hud elements stay on the screen when you get revived, hit detection and animations can also be inconsistent but that could just be lag. Also there's some black and red flickering going on and there are sound issues.
Could just be me or the one or two matches I played though!

U2NUMB

cackhyena said:
Wait, so what are the issues? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Just to name a few issues.

Can not get or keep a squad together as far as joining a game. Near impossible.

Once in the game you can walk though and fall into many parts of the map.

I saw bullet tracers hang all over in the air after being shot.

Annoying flicker that is random. Whole screen goes white for a split second and sometimes often.

Last part of the level can make your 360 freak out.. down to 10 fps or less and textures fail to load. Eventually your 360 will lock up.

Many lock ups in general.

Just overall it feels like it needs months of work so we are all hoping its a very old build. As a big fan of BF I am very worried about it on the 360 anyways. PC footage looks dreamy.

cackhyena

Shit, that sounds awful. Hopefully it is an older, unstable build. Then again, you wonder why they'd bother at all leaving that kind of impression.

hoss

zephervack said:
hmm to me it feels like the complete opposite, even on Conquest i used to just run around with my Recon spotting chaps and moving pretty freely in BC 2.

Yesterday while playing BF3 i just had to stop and start walking and try not to run as it put me in danger, i just feel like coming to a complete stop after running takes a lot longer and leaves you exposed way more, this is not a bad thing, i just have to get used to it.

In the other hand, it is also possible that in BC2 im completely aware of the map layouts and enemy placements as i have played that game so much, so i know where i can run and where i cant, maybe its just that. I need some map layouts of Metro and Caspian to study.

I totally get what you are saying and feel the same way. I think part of it is being so used to the feel of BC2 and will just take time to gain familiarity, but right now it feels like I'm wearing sand bags on my hands and feet while trying to play. Things seem to move fast around me but I feel slow in comparison...maybe I'm just getting old.

Merino

so still no word on the new password?

There are already people playing on the new-pw servers and there's also still a couple server's out there with the old pw.

strange

U2NUMB said:

Annoying flicker that is random. Whole screen goes white for a split second and sometimes often.

Last part of the level can make your 360 freak out.. down to 10 fps or less and textures fail to load. Eventually your 360 will lock up.

Just overall it feels like it needs months of work so we are all hoping its a very old build. As a big fan of BF I am very worried about it on the 360 anyways. PC footage looks dreamy.

Sprint will disable itself if you run into anything while sprinting (until you crouch or prone).

All sound except your gunshots will intermittently cut off until you die (kinda sounds like an explosion deafening FX glitch)

Black/white frame flickers.

Infinite loop crash if you try to leave a game.

And more.

Basically all the glitches and rough edges from the PC alpha.... which came out two months ago.

gtvdave

I may have found a new pw for Caspian Border servers:

QUOTE THIS TO SEE IT :)

I would also be grateful if you guys have a spare PC code for me, please :)

Backfoggen said:
It doesn't feel polished at all. When you die your camera clips through the ground, kill-cam sometimes shows some weird ramp that's beneath the level, hud elements stay on the screen when you get revived, hit detection and animations can also be inconsistent but that could just be lag. Also there's some black and red flickering going on and there are sound issues.

I experience all of this yesterday in the PC beta as well...

Mikey Jr.

Ok, repeating my question.

On the PS3 version, why is the right stick crouch/prone? Is there no way to change this to the O button like in Call of Duty?

rabhw

Just played 2 maps of Caspian. So so sooooo good.

THAT is Battlefield. I'm not sure about the map itself though, seems like a lot of empty space, why are the 3 cap points so crunched in the middle?

Performance was slightly worse than metro for me, but still totally playable:

Metro: 80-150fps
Caspian: 55 - 100fps

How do the handheld SAM missles work exactly? You track your target until the red outline is solid and the beeping is constant, then shoot, but do you still need to track the target until contact? Or from that point onwards do you just hope that your missile will find it's intended target.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
rabhw said:
Just played 2 maps of Caspian. So so sooooo good.

THAT is Battlefield. I'm not sure about the map itself though, seems like a lot of empty space, why are the 3 cap points so crunched in the middle?

Performance was slightly worse than metro for me, but still totally playable:

Metro: 80-150fps
Caspian: 55 - 100fps

Similar to me, what's your specs/settings?

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok, repeating my question.

On the PS3 version, why is the right stick crouch/prone? Is there no way to change this to the O button like in Call of Duty?

I REALLY hated this about BC2. Every time I went to melee someone I'd end up just crouching. Drove me nuts.

Raoh

Mechanized said:
I REALLY hated this about BC2. Every time I went to melee someone I'd end up just crouching. Drove me nuts.

All games should just let you customize each button/action to your liking.

But I don't play call of duty so that's not a problem but it sucks to have a different layout for each of my shooters that i play, takes me a few matches usually to get back into it when switching games

rabhw

Corky said:
Similar to me, what's your specs/settings?

i2500k @ 4.3ghz, 2x 6950 2gb (unlocked to 6970), 8gb RAM.

1920x1200, Ultra everything, 4xMSAA + High Post-AA

I might have to play with the gamma a bit, everything was maybe a bit TOO contrast-ey, it looks nice in screenshots but playing is a bit harder.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
rabhw said:
i2500k @ 4.3ghz, 2x 6950 2gb (unlocked to 6970), 8gb RAM.

1920x1200, Ultra everything, 4xMSAA + High Post-AA

I might have to play with the gamma a bit, everything was maybe a bit TOO contrast-ey, it looks nice in screenshots but playing is a bit harder.

nice :) cheers

Raoh

Rainy Dog said:
Had some enjoyable games on the PS3 version this afternoon. Starting to unlock more stuff is nice even if half of the weapon attachments seem pretty useless. The BC weapons such as the PP2000 and HK416 look and feel leagues ahead of what they do in BC2.

Has to be mentioned again how damn buggy it is though, unfortunately. Spent half as much time under the map as I did on the terrain above. The controls are glitchy as heck, buttons randomly stop responding, voice chat doesn't work properly, you can't join a match with squad mates as it just splits you up, usually chucking into opposing teams whilst it's at it. The very first PS3 BC2 beta was in a much more polished state than this and that was months away from release.

I'm far from a videogame beta veteran, but it's easily the roughest online beta I've tried. Really does concern me what state the game is going to ship in...

I noticed a lot of small things like almost going under/over a map as well. I don't want to stir anything up but it does feel a little COD outside of going prone.

Is there a battlefield 3 ps3 thread or group?

U2NUMB said:

Yeah I'm on 360 and have had all of these issues too. I've also been trying to get a friend who only plays CoD to give BF3 a try and because of the broken squad system coupled with him always getting the "Failed to connect" message he's all but given up.

The games I DID get into, after a short learning period, were an absolute glitchy blast though. The audio is glorious. Sound great on my TBX41's. I damn near shit myself whenever an RPG goes whizzing by my head. Its quite unnerving in a good way.

xIvSlowDeath420

Neo Member
I may have found a new pw for Caspian Border servers:

QUOTE THIS TO SEE IT :)

I would also be grateful if you guys have a spare PC code for me, please :)

What exactly does this mean,i quoted and i see nothing.Sorry i'm not a big forum guy.On a side note,anyone else even able to get in with the old pass,i started at 930 CST and still have not played a minute of BF,whats the logic in letting some people play what everyone wants to play.

Wow, the 360 build is badddddd. Even worse than the alpha. Flashing screens, bugged clipping, bugged squads, bugged spawn points, and iv had objectives showing up as B B instead of A B and objectives flashing as armed when they are not =\ (and this all happened in 1 round)

Backfoggen said:

These are all issues on the PC as well. Game is far from "broken", it's just...a beta. On PC, however, almost every server disconnects you after winning
lol.gif

Looks like the weird OHK sniper kills are the result of a damage bug.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
xIvSlowDeath420 said:
What exactly does this mean,i quoted and i see nothing.Sorry i'm not a big forum guy.On a side note,anyone else even able to get in with the old pass,i started at 930 CST and still have not played a minute of BF,whats the logic in letting some people play what everyone wants to play.

You have to look in his quote on the screen where you type your message, you'll see an email tag with text in it that doesn't show up once posted.

Wth all the complaints about the 360 version, I thought it was completely broken. But what everyone is describing (MCOM indicators wrong, HUD showing text from last death, flickering, kill cam going into ground/viewing ramp, etc.)...these are all issues on the PC beta as well. They're not game stopping--it's a beta.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Awesome.

This is why I want to get back into a Caspian server later. I so saw much awesome shit... you just don't get that in Rush/Metro.

So this is your first "real" Battlefield experience, right? You just played BC2 before this?

U2NUMB said:
Anyone else feel releasing this beta to the public tomorrow (on 360 anyways) is a huge mistake? Game is beyond broken.. It is going to get eaten up by the public who assume it is a polished demo.

I love the gameplay but I just spent 30 min talking a good friend of mine off the ledge.. he is a massive BF fan and the beta on the 360 has upset him to the point he is ready to cancel his pre order.

And no he does not have a PC that can handle it sadly.

Releasing the BF3 beta(in this condition) tomorrow on 360 does seem to me like it'll do more harm than good. Especially if their goal is to entice the CoD faithful.

However, if they can resolve the connection and party issues I think the graphical and clipping stuff can be overlooked. For me that stuff isn't too damning and I'm familiar with how well DICE and EA support their BF games.

Mr. Snrub said:
Wth all the complaints about the 360 version, I thought it was completely broken. But what everyone is describing (MCOM indicators wrong, HUD showing text from last death, flickering, kill cam going into ground/viewing ramp, etc.)...these are all issues on the PC beta as well. They're not game stopping--it's a beta.

I think the problem for most 360 players is they'll be expecting a beta as polished as the Halo 3, Reach, and Gears 3 betas. This will cause confusion with the general masses.

Kyaw

Mr. Snrub said:

So this is your first "real" Battlefield experience, right? You just played BC2 before this?

He did, just not very much.

Mr. Snrub said:

Yeah, and 1943.

I think 43 is probably better than BC2, haha. Shame about the lack of support with maps.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
SomeOneInaHat said:
I'm still waiting for my PC code. I bought the LE off of Origin on August 5th.

This is infuriating.

Don't get your hopes up.

My code wasn't e-mailed to me, so I had to get Origin support to add the beta to my account. However, once it was added to my account and installed, trying to log in to Battlelog gives me a "This account is not allowed to login" message, so I can't play anyway.

Add to that, I've been trying to get my preorder canceled since last night and haven't heard a thing back since. Shit is pretty much a disgrace.

Rainy Dog

Gaz Pwnage said:
Wow, the 360 build is badddddd. Even worse than the alpha. Flashing screens, bugged clipping, bugged squads, bugged spawn points, and iv had objectives showing up as B B instead of A B and objectives flashing as armed when they are not =\ (and this all happened in 1 round)

Yep, seen that on PS3 as well. I've also been killed while arming an MCOM and the 'Press O to arm' prompt stays in the middle of the screen even after respawning. All sorts of random abnormalities.

They probably didn't want to release the beta in this state but had to because of the MOH situation. I feel for DICE in a sense, but they (or EA, probably) pulled a fast one with MOH and it's turned out to be a fiasco really. Some negative word due to the state of the beta is fair comeuppance in my opinion. I'm sure a few thousand people only bought that for the BF3 beta and, firstly, turns out to be only 48 hour early access. Next, they leave it all until the very last minute. And finally, seems those that paid for the right can't even get the measly 48 hour early access.

Top Bottom