• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyrat

Re: grenades

The grenade indicator is too obvious. I would have put a little grey icon on the bottom center of the HUD that points in the direction of the grenade, nothing more. It doesn't need the red overlay.

zlatko said:
Two questions:

1) Is there no way to chat in co-op unless you use a mic? I was trying to talk to my buddy but J K L keys wouldn't pop up a chat screen. :(

2) I forgot the name of the muzzle, but it's the one that says it increases your guns accuracy, but will increase its vertical climb. I'm confused on WTF this means. Wouldn't increasing vertical climb make your gun LESS accurate?

1) don't know

2) I believe its the gun's vertical climb when you fire. If you shoot in bursts, itll be more accurate.

edit: beat...and when i say bursts, i just mean the faster you fire the more the climb, so relative to auto, burst is better. Single fire would have the most noticeable increase in accuracy.

iam220

bluerei said:
It was the other GPU core heating up, not the core I though was cool, so it was maxing out at like 90 degrees celcius. Also noticed that on auto, the fan wasn't spinning fast enough to keep it cool, so I had to manually set it to 60% speed. That kept the temp at 75c at full load.

Noticed that the temp and load stayed the same regardless if it was on ultra or medium which is weird, and GPU was at a constant 100% use. This game is horrible at using the GPU efficiently.

Interesting, might be time for a fan cleaning and re-application of thermal paste. Last time I had overheating problems I found like a 3 inch ball of dust and pet hair clogged in my fan :O. Than again my case is completely open.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
keyrat said:
Re: grenades

The grenade indicator is too obvious. I would have put a little grey icon on the bottom center of the HUD that points in the direction of the grenade, nothing more. It doesn't need the red overlay.
After the mess that grenades caused in BF2 I'm glad they're pretty much useless.

MrOogieBoogie said:
One question: Is there any real difference between the Holosight and RDS besides aesthetic preference?

Can't really tell, perhaps it's just personal preference thing like real life as neither offers a major difference between the other, it's just basically what the operator likes. Holos usually block less of a persons view when using the site for example so they are popular in that regard, while a RDS is more like a scope with sometimes glare protection built in.

TCRS

Banned
Ok, after a three hour session today most of my concerns have vanished (maybes I was just frustrated with the sever issue yesterday):

- Jets are not useless, they are in fact a lot of fun. :)

- Tanks being disabled at 50% is not that big a deal anymore. It works great to be honest. Promotes teamplay and you have to be more careful.

The only downside is the machinegun for the driver.. Haven't managed a single kill with it yet.

Otherwise, BF3 ROCKS!!

edit:
oh, I forgot about the heli controls and the fact that you cannot invert the y-axis. That is major downside actually. But oh wel.. I'll figure it out eventually.

Merino

Really not liking most of the maps so far.
Other than Caspian and Firestorm I've got a distinct meh feeling on all the other maps.

The smaller urban maps (Metro, Bazaar, Seine) I'd even describe as outright awful.

Wish they would just port over all the 1943 maps rather than just wake island. Hell I'd even take numerous Bad Company maps over these.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The problem with jets is they start out weak, but it looks like with unlocks that they become much stronger. Stuff like Flares and Missiles shouldn't be unlocks, I think we're going to get into another BF2 like situation if they're not careful.

Special J

Banned
they're going to nerf rpgs and grenade launchers they are spammed too frequently.

play conquest on metro that is hilariously broken its amazing that its in a retail game. still fun tho.

ElyrionX

Is there NO WAY at all to adjust the mouse sensitivity from the console on the PC? I hate that slider shit in the options menu. It makes incremental adjustments impossible. Shouldn't this be a basic for all FPS games on the PC?

eneko

ElyrionX said:
Is there NO WAY at all to adjust the mouse sensitivity from the console on the PC? I hate that slider shit in the options menu. It makes incremental adjustments impossible. Shouldn't this be a basic for all FPS games on the PC?

True that

mxgt

Banned
Special J said:
they're going to nerf rpgs and grenade launchers they are spammed too frequently.

play conquest on metro that is hilariously broken its amazing that its in a retail game. still fun tho.

RPGs and launchers are fine, it's the map combined with the conquest game mode that's broken.

Dina

Ikuu said:
The problem with jets is they start out weak, but it looks like with unlocks that they become much stronger. Stuff like Flares and Missiles shouldn't be unlocks, I think we're going to get into another BF2 like situation if they're not careful.

Enlighten me, what BF2 situation?

Disagree about missiles btw, air was a powerhouse in BF2, maybe too much so.

iam220

Special J said:

They are? Is this confirmed?

On of the devs on twitter (lost the link) also mentioned they're going to buff the jets.. I didn't read op.

Dina said:

The BF2 situation is likely that air was too powerful. Especially over time with the better people got at flying and bombing, planes were crazy good. Right now though air seems pretty meh and not very useful, but I think a big thing is the unlock system they put on it causing everyone to suck for a long time before they get the good anti ground stuff.

StevieP

Banned
bluerei said:
I expect my goggles to be 100% clean after run through explosions, debris and dust.

The effect is incredibly exaggerated and is like a bridge scene Star Trek 2009 combined with the most annoyingly speckled $5 drugstore glasses with glue all over their external lenses. More subtlety, a-la Metroid Prime's visor effects, would have been preferred in my eyes. It's hard to notice the nice high-resolution textures in Ultra mode when you're running through a corridor only to be half-blinded by white dots everywhere.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheSeks said:
Problem is that they did that by default on Bad Company/2 and people wouldn't understand what their teammates wanted (ammo/health) with it on.
People won't give ammo no matter what language the MP characters are speaking in.

StevieP said:
The effect is incredibly exaggerated and is like a bridge scene Star Trek 2009 combined with the most annoyingly speckled $5 drugstore glasses with glue all over their external lenses. More subtlety, a-la Metroid Prime's visor effects, would have been preferred in my eyes. It's hard to notice the nice high-resolution textures in Ultra mode when you're running through a corridor only to be half-blinded by white dots everywhere.

It's not exaggerated at all. Dust particles covering your lens create bokeh hot spots very easily. I get it on my lens all the time and have to constantly clean it off. I agree with how often it's there though, but exaggerated? Not at all.

They should just make it where your goggles are clean and only after going through a hail of explosions or building destruction that should happen, then die down as if you cleaned them off with a quick swipe of the hand.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Confidence Man said:
Support is my favorite class. I find it way more effective to sneak up on a tank and C4 it than put round after round of RPGs into it just to have it disable and everyone bail out.

I miss the Spec-ops class from Bf2, they were the true ninjas :/ Never got why they got rid of it :/ I miss the disabling radar towers and mortars.

zlatko

Banned
Megasoum said:
It's more accurate for single shots and less accurate (well more recoil really) when using burst or full auto.

Thank you sir. I'll make sure to unequip it later when I play. Flashlight it is then. :p

StevieP

Banned
bluerei said:
It's not exaggerated at all. Dust particles covering your lens create bokeh hot spots very easily. I get it on my lens all the time and have to constantly clean it off. I agree with how often it's there though, but exaggerated? Not at all.

They should just make it where your goggles are clean and only after going through a hail of explosions or building destruction that should happen, then die down as if you cleaned them off with a quick swipe of the hand.

I would agree with that. That, or make it an option via console or menu to turn or tone it down.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bluerei said:

Last I checked, we aren't cameras/lenses in the game, we are soldiers using our eyeballs (ok, one class has goggles). The effects with lighting/glare make some maps borderline unplayable. Anyone who defends them has zero concept of competitive play.

eznark

Banned
Wipe install, redownload. Install. Run.

Campaign won't load.

Starting to feel like a Tribes 2 situation for me. After Tribes 2 I stopped with PC gaming for about a decade.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dina said:

I think he's agreeing with you. People are saying that vanilla jets are too weak so if they get buffed jets with full unlocks might be OP. Still, I think the main cannon is a bit too weak. It's a skill based weapon so it balances itself out.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
eznark said:
Wipe install, redownload. Install. Run.

Campaign won't load.

Starting to feel like a Tribes 2 situation for me. After Tribes 2 I stopped with PC gaming for about a decade.

What video card and drivers are you using? My campaign would load before I installed correct drivers. Also try changing browsers.

Stallion Free said:
Last I checked, we aren't cameras/lenses in the game, we are soldiers using our eyeballs (ok, one class has goggles). The effects with lighting/glare make some maps borderline unplayable. Anyone who defends them has zero concept of competitive play.

The effects are only problematic in the single player where it's trying for a cinematic realism. The whole goggles thing is not used as much in the "competitive" modes and "unplayable" is lol worthy.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yay, found a way to manually adjust just how much FXAA (Post Proc AA in the options) I want and actually define exactly where I want it applied. I can also adjust the color correction and sharpening etc :D

It's almost like ENB for BF3 but w/o all of the extra lighting parameters and such. I'm sure they'll come though

Special J said:

That's a problem with the map itself. Nothing wrong with RPGs/launchers.

eznark

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
What video card and drivers are you using? My campaign would load before I installed correct drivers. Also try changing browsers.

GTX 570, latest drivers (w/ clean install). When it does run (I can play a single multiplayer match before it locks up for instance) it looks and runs perfectly at mostly ultra settings (which is what it defaulted to).

In the debate over not enough people playing Support, I find it very hurtful to my ego that some/many of you stay alive long enough to actually run out of ammo. :) I did it once last night and nearly had a heart attack from the sheer novelty of it. Lol.

Cuban Legend said:
I VOLUNTEER, my brother. Together we shall fly will the ends of the earth BF3 Scoreboard.

I learned how to fly with the mouse+keyboard and with the keyboard only last night while grinding playing the Chopper Co-Op Mission. I love it.
We shall rain death from above!

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom