• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy Dog

KingOfKong said:
i don't think support is a very played class right now. i rarely see them. i would play support more but I think their guns are horrible.

Yeah, have never been a fan of LMG's either so I've not touched Support class yet. But just unlocked the PP2000 all-kit gun so might sink a bit of time into that class now as I've not seen one dropped ammo pack in 5+ hours on the PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KingOfKong said:
i don't think support is a very played class right now. i rarely see them. i would play support more but I think their guns are horrible.

16m6ck3.gif

Put a bipod on them. Stand near cover or on ground near a chokepoint. Bipod is auto-deployed on ADS. Proceed to mow down anyone that dares try to come near you.

Rainy Dog said:
Yeah, have never been a fan of LMG's either so I've not touched Support class yet. But just unlocked the PP2000 all-kit gun so might sink a bit of time into that class now as I've not seen one dropped ammo pack in 5+ hours on the PS3.

ya, i used the PP2000 to level up my support and recon just to unlock the mortar and spawn thingie.

Anton Sugar said:
No idea why native VO's don't work. If the complaint is that the writing is bad, yeah, that's on DICE. But the voice actors themselves are Russian.

They just really need to tone it down. It's effective and looks good to an extent, but currently it's too much like you're playing the game through a camera lens. Which "authentic soldiers" don't do. Even with goggles on, sun glare isn't THAT bad in "real life".
I think you guys are over-exaggerating this. are you guys even Native Russian speakers that can understand the nuances of the Russian Language that would have gone into Native Russian Speakers speaking VO lines given to them?

I'm a native Cuban and speak Spanish in a way that other Spanish speaking people can note is relative to the nuances of Cuban Spanish.

Yet, when I heard the Cuban VO for COD:BO during the Steam free weekend, let me tell you, they were spot on in some parts but seemed really off in other parts.

TheSeks said:
16m6ck3.gif

Put a bipod on them. Stand near cover or on ground near a chokepoint. Bipod is auto-deployed on ADS. Proceed to mow down anyone that dares try to come near you.

yes, i hate that bipod. it is annoying and hinders my movement when I prone or get behind cover. anyhow, i stand with what I said support weapons suck.

OldJadedGamer said:
I want to play other classes but every level is so tank heavy you really have no choice but to play the engineer.

Unlock C4 for support, works even better in close quarters than an engy for tanks.

Yeah i probably unlock engineer next. Recon gets boring when i don't have anything major to unlock (lol only few sniper rifles in game) and MAV and soflam are almost pointless atm. Kinda shame they didn't and chillies or non reflecting scopes for later in the ladder.

Lanbeast

TheSeks said:

For sure. Support is all I've played except for a few runs at the other classes and I absolutely tear through guys. Find a good cover spot and bipod on to it. Once you unlock the infrared scope it's like it isn't even fair anymore.

TheSeks

KingOfKong said:
yes, i hate that bipod. it is annoying and hinders my movement when I prone or get behind cover. anyhow, i stand with what I said support weapons suck.

Then take it off and risk having recoil. That bipod and standing in an area allows the support to suppress an area fully. I've gotten MASSIVE points holding an area just by myself by deploying the bipod and mowing anyone that dares to come in down.

The guns for support don't suck. It's more that you suck, dude. :p

And no, it doesn't hinder movement. It slows you down a bit and "locks" you in an area on deployment but that's when you stop ADS and move.

Najaf

KingOfKong said:
probably aiming to be more like real life (where they don't "cook" grenades) instead of being like COD. Albeit i don't think real life grenades have a pulsing red light on them so I guess that negates the real life thingie i just said.

Cooking grenades is taught to every infantryman in basic training at Ft. Benning. You are taught to always cook the grenade when clearing a bunker. (a three mississippi count when I was there) And I can assure you, we cook grenades all the time in Iraq.

RotBot

Remember that the mortar launcher has smoke for when your teammates are attacking a flag or M-COM. Hit 2 on PC, and whatever fire mode switch is on console.

Najaf said:
Cooking grenades is taught to every infantryman in basic training at Ft. Benning. You are taught to always cook the grenade when clearing a bunker. (a three mississippi count when I was there) And I can assure you, we cook grenades all the time in Iraq.
Dude, I would be counting so fast. Forget Mississippi, I would probably use Maine.

zlatko

Banned
Detox said:
PC-GAF help me, I can't ADS when hold to aim is enabled. No matter what it just doesn't work however click works about 80% of the time although it seems sometimes my clicks don't register. Outside of BF I can right click all day with no problems.
Here's a video of my problem, first part is me trying to ADS with hold enabled.

I may have a somewhat related issue where I'll hit aim down sight (I have it set to click), and on a pretty regular basis it tends to go out of ADS on its own without me having clicked or even having my finger on the right mouse button.

--------------------

As for the Engineer talk I haven't explored assault or support yet, but I see no point to thanks to how much bang for your back Engineers are in this game. Vehicle destroyers, 9 RPGs at once, AND some of THE best guns so far at the early levels of the game? Why not use them? A-91 is the only reason I can maintain going positive in games I play. That thing is a monster.

KingOfKong said:

I was playing assault, then engineer, now support. I am getting WAAAY more kills as support than any other class.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
AndyD said:
Yea, I forget who it was yesterday too. But he would kill all the vehicles then hover down so we could hop out and secure a point. Then land, load us up and onto the next point.

It was maddening how good of a pilot he was. In a good way.

That sounds fucking awesome. I wanna play with this guy.

Soviet

Banned
Anyone else having crazy stutter problem on Nvidia 2xx cards? It's like worst case of vsync bug ever. Completely unplayable.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OldJadedGamer said:
I want to play other classes but every level is so tank heavy you really have no choice but to play the engineer.

Yea, this is the truth. Support is my best class and I try to use it most often but I always end up switching over to Engi to blow shit up. I'm too scared to try and throw C4 on a tank.

On the rare instances I do I usually have to do it terrorist style and suicide bomb them because I can't get away quick enough and fear getting shot before I blow them up.

Cuban Legend said:
I think you guys are over-exaggerating this. are you guys even Native Russian speakers that can understand the nuances of the Russian Language that would have gone into Native Russian Speakers speaking VO lines given to them?

I'm a native Cuban and speak Spanish in a way that other Spanish speaking people can note is relative to the nuances of Cuban Spanish.

Yet, when I heard the Cuban VO for COD:BO during the Steam free weekend, let me tell you, they were spot on in some parts but seemed really off in other parts.

Personally, I don't care and don't have any problem with them. I don't even want to enable native VO, because I can't tell what they're saying. As for the writing, eh...if we're complaing about the Russian VO writing, might as well complain about, "WE'RE GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS OVER HERE" "SHIT FUCKER SPOTTED".

Which, again, I don't mind.

MrOogieBoogie

Liquidsnake said:
Ive been playing as an Engineer since day one. Is there any reason to change? If so what class.

Also this. Great weapons (SCAR is awesome) and the RPG is just too effective to not have it equipped. Great for clearing narrow hallways and of course fantastic for dealing with all the vehicles.

Whenever I try going Assault and see a tank ride by, I go back to wishing I was Engineer just so I could deal with the son of a bitch.

Najaf said:

So then they aren't like real life AND their in game function is more or less useless. I really hope they work something out; grenades can be incredibly useful and satisfying.

RotBot

Najaf said:
Really? I thought they taught you to throw hard and bounce it around.

"This technique is inherently dangerous, since fuses may vary from grenade to grenade. Because of this the U.S. Marines (MCWP 3-35) describe cooking-off as the "least preferred technique," recommending a "hard throw, skip/bounce technique" to prevent an enemy returning a grenade."

MrOogieBoogie said:
Also this. Great weapons (SCAR is awesome) and the RPG is just too effective to not have it equipped. Great for clearing narrow hallways and of course fantastic for dealing with all the vehicles.

Whenever I try going Assault and see a tank ride by, I go back to wishing I was Engineer just so I could deal with the son of a bitch.

I actually think that the starting M4A1 is one of the best weapons in the game--certainly one of my favorite Engy weapons. Great ROF + little recoil + foregrip + holosight + suppressor = so good.

But the SCAR is great, too. Carbines are just boss, overall.

OldJadedGamer said:

Perhaps it's the servers you are playing on with tank heavy map rotations. Bunch of the maps are more infantry oriented.

TheSeks

RbBrdMan said:
On the rare instances I do I usually have to do it terrorist style and suicide bomb them because I can't get away quick enough and fear getting shot before I blow them up.

You have to pay attention. If they're busy elsewhere sneak up on their backside. I haven't used C4 enough since it's support only this outing but it's completely possible to C4 tanks.

It's just that NO ONE PLAYS SUPPORT BUT ME to where I run out of RPG/C4/AT mines and have to play the rest of the round (until I die... if ever) with NO AMMO for them. Seriously. People need to SPREAD OUT CLASSES because "DERP ENGINEER IS THE BESTEST NOW" isn't a valid answer. >:|

Rainy Dog

zlatko said:
I may have a somewhat related issue where I'll hit aim down sight (I have it set to click), and on a pretty regular basis it tends to go out of ADS on its own without me having clicked or even having my finger on the right mouse button.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm having this issue regularly on the PS3 and it robs me of winning gunfights at least a couple of times per match. It seems to mostly happen when in prone, however, where it'll just stop firing and come up out of prone and I'll get shot in the animation. Thought it was perhaps me accidentally pressing down on the stick (R3) when moving it to aim, but I've never had anything similar happen in any other FPS.

Also happened in the beta but I'd hoped it was a bug and would be fixed for retail.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I am a shit pilot, but BOYYY do I love being a gunner on a chopper.

If anyone who plays on the GAF servers are great pilots and needs a bum chum to ride with them, pick me! It's so much fun.
I VOLUNTEER, my brother. Together we shall fly will the ends of the earth BF3 Scoreboard.

I learned how to fly with the mouse+keyboard and with the keyboard only last night while grinding playing the Chopper Co-Op Mission. I love it.

I have yet to try the 360pad that I always have plugged in, as I'm afraid of its limited directional/turning strength as compared to arrow keys or furious mouse scrolling. Plus it drifts down on the left stick.
Anton Sugar said:
Same, got some great unlocks for chopper last night due to gunning (cloak and heat seekers, HOLLA).

I'm having trouble getting the hang of the flares, though, and I think I know what Infected was talking about the other day. With the chopper, I wait for the "third stage"of the lock--the actual "missile is coming toward you" beep. But the missile ALWAYS seems to hit us and I don't know why. Felt bad because I was gunner with some gaffers last night and was trying to keep us alive via flares, but I deploy them and a second later we're hit. What gives?

Actually, last night I got a bunch of vehicle unlocks thanks to some vehicle maps on Rush and the AA in Conquest.
if the missile is already at terminal velocity/straight path toward your aircraft, no matter how many time you jam the flares, it'll be too late.

Things with flares it i happen to notice you have to almost anticipate the Third-Stage beep so the flares misguide the missile in time.

I've spent too much time learning to troll aircraft with my stingers, lol.

StevieP

Banned
Stallion Free said:
So disable it by default. No one in their right mind prefers the effect on and no one needs to know that it ever existed. It has no place in multiplayer.

This. What's the point of having such awesome visuals on Ultra, when everything is covered in specks and flares, literally everywhere?

Stallion Free said:
So disable it by default. No one in their right mind prefers the effect on and no one needs to know that it ever existed. It has no place in multiplayer.

StevieP said:
This. What's the point of having such awesome visuals on Ultra, when everything is covered in specks and flares, literally everywhere?

I expect my goggles to be 100% clean after run through explosions, debris and dust.

Macattk15

I perfectly led a helicopter flying through the map with a tank shell at quite a distance and got a double kill from it .... by far my most awesome moment yet.

That said, I almost always dominate on Seine Crossing Conquest for some reason. By far my best map.

Support is my favorite class. I find it way more effective to sneak up on a tank and C4 it than put round after round of RPGs into it just to have it disable and everyone bail out.

jaaz

I'm actually a bit concerned about balance of classes. I certainly don't want them to nerf engineers, but sometimes it seems like every person you run into is an engineer. There are so few support or even recons in games sometimes.

iam220

bluerei said:
I was playing assault, then engineer, now support. I am getting WAAAY more kills as support than any other class.

nice! see you fixed your GPU glitch. What ended up being the culprit?

Najaf said:
Well, regardless, in real life, the human being with grenade and proper digits and a brain that can work those digits is capable of deciding whether to cook said grenade or not.

Bumhead

Banned
£34 for the limited edition on Green Man Gaming is tempting me..

I take it it'll still be played through Origin if I buy it from there?

MrOogieBoogie

Anton Sugar said:
I actually think that the starting M4A1 is one of the best weapons in the game--certainly one of my favorite Engy weapons. Great ROF + little recoil + foregrip + holosight + suppressor = so good.

But the SCAR is great, too. Carbines are just boss, overall.

One question: Is there any real difference between the Holosight and RDS besides aesthetic preference?

MrOogieBoogie

BattleMonkey said:
Perhaps it's the servers you are playing on with tank heavy map rotations. Bunch of the maps are more infantry oriented.

Even then RPGs are valuable to clear long, narrow hallways full of enemies on the opposite end.

iam220 said:
nice! see you fixed your GPU glitch. What ended up being the culprit?

It was the other GPU core heating up, not the core I though was cool, so it was maxing out at like 90 degrees celcius. Also noticed that on auto, the fan wasn't spinning fast enough to keep it cool, so I had to manually set it to 60% speed. That kept the temp at 75c at full load.

Noticed that the temp and load stayed the same regardless if it was on ultra or medium which is weird, and GPU was at a constant 100% use. This game is horrible at using the GPU efficiently.

zlatko

Banned
Two questions:

1) Is there no way to chat in co-op unless you use a mic? I was trying to talk to my buddy but J K L keys wouldn't pop up a chat screen. :(

2) I forgot the name of the muzzle, but it's the one that says it increases your guns accuracy, but will increase its vertical climb. I'm confused on WTF this means. Wouldn't increasing vertical climb make your gun LESS accurate?

Megasoum

Banned
zlatko said:
I forgot the name of the muzzle, but it's the one that says it increases your guns accuracy, but will increase its vertical climb. I'm confused on WTF this means. Wouldn't increasing vertical climb make your gun LESS accurate?

It's more accurate for single shots and less accurate (well more recoil really) when using burst or full auto.

Best thing about battlelog, I can easily check how many people are on a specific server, who is on the server, and what map is being played currently, all without having to leave my browser. Simply amazing.

Plus, it isn't currently banned at work, though that will undoubtedly change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom