• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkidu

Dreaver said:
But hey... I have to keep in mind it's actually a PC game and it's a nice thing it even released on the Xbox.
If only this was the case. From a gameplay perspective this is just as much a console game as Bad Company 2. I wish they'd go back and make something as great as Battlefield 2 again but it seems they are incapable of doing that anymore.

Atomski

MrBig said:
Wow, the Helicopter co-op mission helped a lot for learning how to pilot helis. I went from crashing them just after getting in them to actually being competent.
Yeah I don't get why they didnt also have a jet mission for training.

MrBig said:
Wow, the Helicopter co-op mission helped a lot for learning how to pilot helis. I went from crashing them just after getting in them to actually being competent.

Nothing quite like dropping low and fast and weaving between buildings to escape an AA gun.

Finally had my first really good day with this game. I wasn't doing anything different, but I was racking up big kill matches, destroying lots of vehicles, and just felt in control like I did when I was heavy on Bad Company 2. Setting up shop as a Support class with the bipod is the best thing ever. Straight mowing down fools on Grand Bazaar.

Also getting better with the jets. Switched the sticks so I control with the left which helped a lot at doing strafing runs. Are there no bombs though? Those are the one weapon that would really make the jets have a bigger role in the push toward capping flags and M-COMs instead of having a circle jerk in the sky with the occasional impact on ground combat.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Red Blaster said:
They've gotta find some way to make more people play assault and support. Way too many goddamn engineers.
I play support for the most part now. Unlimited mortar fire makes it an easy choice, and when there are tanks to deal with or an MCOM to defend, C4 works amazingly well. I player assault quite a bit in the beginning, but always needing ammo when I was done assaulting was such a hassle.

Engineer has the worst weapons and no use aside from trying to kill vehicles all game which bores me since everyone plays it.

Recon is even worse since all they do is find somewhere to lay prone and shoot. I've never understood how snipers can have fun in any game since they literally do nothing. Never attack or defend a station or a flag, just lay on a mountain, or rafters, or an oil refinery deck, or any other high flat surface and shoot. I guess if you like looking at your k/d you must like it, but I just can't do it. Haven't touched that class yet.

Marvie_3

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I play support for the most part now. Unlimited mortar fire makes it an easy choice, and when there are tanks to deal with or an MCOM to defend, C4 works amazingly well. I player assault quite a bit in the beginning, but always needing ammo when I was done assaulting was such a hassle.

Engineer has the worst weapons and no use aside from trying to kill vehicles all game which bores me since everyone plays it.

Recon is even worse since all they do is find somewhere to lay prone and shoot. I've never understood how snipers can have fun in any game since they literally do nothing. Never attack or defend a station or a flag, just lay on a mountain, or rafters, or an oil refinery deck, or any other high flat surface and shoot. I guess if you like looking at your k/d you must like it, but I just can't do it. Haven't touched that class yet.
I use the recon class like an assault class. Motion tracking helps when you're in tight spaces and don't know whats around the corner.

Atomski

Jak140 said:
Am I just completely clueless or is it impossible to switch squads on PC?

You have to leave the current squad they automatically put you in. Then you have to click the squad you want. Down below you should see a join button. If there is no join button than the group is set to private.

Dont hit find squad it will just put you right back where you were.

Anybody else having lot's of issues with the game just loading on a blank screen, or a blank screen? I had to ctrl alt del out of BF3 because it goes nowhere, this issue came up today :/

Jak140

Atomski said:
You have to leave the current squad they automatically put you in. Then you have to click the squad you want. Down below you should see a join button. If there is no join button than the group is set to private.

Dont hit find squad it will just put you right back where you were.

Yeah but I have yet to play on a server that would even let me leave my squad.
It's always greyed out.

Zeppelin

FuttBuck said:
Anybody else having lot's of issues with the game just loading on a blank screen, or a blank screen? I had to ctrl alt del out of BF3 because it goes nowhere, this issue came up today :/

Yes, happens to me too from time to time. But it has always worked on my second attempt so far.

Xevren

Marvie_3 said:
I use the recon class like an assault class. Motion tracking helps when you're in tight spaces and don't know whats around the corner.

I love using the recon like an assault, especially with a smg. Mainly because I can't snipe for shit anyway. I do miss motion mines compared to what we have now though =/

Net_Wrecker said:
Finally had my first really good day with this game. I wasn't doing anything different, but I was racking up big kill matches, destroying lots of vehicles, and just felt in control like I did when I was heavy on Bad Company 2. Setting up shop as a Support class with the bipod is the best thing ever. Straight mowing down fools on Grand Bazaar.

Also getting better with the jets. Switched the sticks so I control with the left which helped a lot at doing strafing runs. Are there no bombs though? Those are the one weapon that would really make the jets have a bigger role in the push toward capping flags and M-COMs instead of having a circle jerk in the sky with the occasional impact on ground combat.
Holy shit lol I was doing the exact same thing but with the grip...It was like I cant be stop lol..Straight running thru fools in conquest mode.

I do think the game will be pretty different 6 months from now, DICE isn't afraid of making significant changes. BF2 1.0 had some ridiculous balance issues (no distance fuse for the grenade launchers, insane splash damage on the Mi-28, C4 could be thrown almost like grenades, etc) and those were all ironed out.

1stStrike

Banned
Hmm, every game I join my team is losing. Horribly. It's newbie syndrome, that accompanies every new game that comes out, but it's still fucking annoying. Nobody's spotting, nobody's working together, and every time I watch someone try to fly either a jet or helicopter they shortly there-after face plant onto the ground or get shot down because there's no support for the air troops.

The jets get a lot of flack from people, but if my team was actually supporting me (or there was at least another competent pilot in the sky) I could be taking out all kinds of ground targets. I do try, but as soon as I take off - as others have mentioned - the dog fight begins. There's no chance for me to even attack a ground target before I have to waste time with these retard pilots =\

derFeef

I really have no idea how you can get good at flying. Lock-on, rockets, everything is messing me up. I have nothing unlocked for air so far and it is a pain.

Smeghead

Keasar said:
I still honestly consider veichle unlocks the most retarded thing in the whole game. I have to personally throw myself against people over and over in jets and choppers until I unlock flares, a basic defence mechanism against the now tons of AA missiles everyone got. I barely get a kill, or even points for that matter, each time I fly cause before I am away, I am shot down by the enemy missiles. :/
Especially when it comes to the jets, it's a bit of a joke how screwed you are until you unlock the better weapons sets for it.

They could have at least had flares unlocked at the get go.

FStop7

Banned
I would like to see a cap on the number of engineers per team. On a 32 player team maybe a limit of 4.

Either that or there need to be some jet on jet only scenarios in order to let people who haven't been playing them since day zero get the unlocks they need to survive in full games.

Keasar

10 deaths, I have managed to kill 1 guy, or not really, I disabled an empty veichle that someone had left in the air, so far with a jetplane before getting shot down by unavoidable AA missiles. :/

All I want are bloody flares so I can feel like I am worth SOMETHING as being a pilot. Seriously DICE, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid idea!

Ugh, please no UMP buff. I'd rather have it underpowered than overpowered since there's fairly good weapons balance in the assault rifle/SMG category right now. UMP and PP2000 were so abused in beta it was ridiculous.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is anyone else using the 870MCS and 12g slug? I used this combo in beta and it felt fine, In retail however it seems to be totally off.

I have no idea why either.

kuYuri

Sorry if old, but looks like Dr. Pepper content for BF3 is up. Not much to it, a set of MP skins, dog tags, and PS3 Home avatar for now.

MrBig

Reading the info about B2K: "-New persistence system where players complete assignments to earn their rewards." Is that something similar to Challenges in Halo Reach?

MrBig said:
Reading the info about B2K: "-New persistence system where players complete assignments to earn their rewards." Is that something similar to Challenges in Halo Reach?

Sounds kinda like an AI commander. Assigns squads random objectives for bonus XP. That might be a little out of the scope for DLC, though.

Holy crap metro and grand bazaar conquest are utterly utterly shit. A lot of the conquest maps feel rushed (lolz).

Mobile AA seems better than before, it's awesome :D

1stStrike

Banned
Keasar said:
10 deaths, I have managed to kill 1 guy, or not really, I disabled an empty veichle that someone had left in the air, so far with a jetplane before getting shot down by unavoidable AA missiles. :/

All I want are bloody flares so I can feel like I am worth SOMETHING as being a pilot. Seriously DICE, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid idea!

I never played BF 1943 or BF2, but based on what I've heard - airplanes were godly in those games. So, they may be trying to make it really hard to get started with jets so that not just anyone can get in a jet and start dominating the entire map.

Jets are hard as fuck to be good at, and it's a huge pain in the ass when you're constantly trapped in a dog fight. Even when I do well and get several kills my score is always lower than it is on the ground because I've spent half the game playing cat and mouse rather than capturing points or killing bitches.

If you really enjoy flying, go for it. Otherwise, you should probably just say fuck jets and stick to helicopters. There's a lot of people out there that are pretty pro with jets and unless you can match them it's going to be an exercise in frustration as they'll shoot your ass down with just guns. I'd know - it's happened to me already. I dodged like crazy, threw out every move I knew, and they still stayed with me and shot my ass down.

Going solo in jets = death. You absolutely need a wing man who can watch your back and knows what he's doing. They can't attack you and defend at the same time.

Keasar

I played BF1942 and BF2, and I were among those who would be called gods of the skies. :p
As of now though, it has been a long time and right now, this is sadly a travesty as such a basic defensive mechanism as flares or smoke is not unlocked right away on veichles feels just bad. I can "understand" the weapons like missiles etc, but at least let players start with the flares so they stand a fair chance in the air cause right now, it is near impossible to catch up without those to protect you from the constant barrage of lock-ons.

Tom Penny

My friend / ex roomate hates this game and he was one of the the biggest Battlefield players ever. He literally was ranked top 10 in the world. He'd get laid off from his construction job and just played non stop. I guess you can't abuse a tank and engineer as much as before LOL.

Makoto

You don't need a wingman. You need a competent guy in the Mobile AA with heatseekers unlocked. Someone on your tail? Fly the enemy over the Mobile AA, he'll get shot down within seconds. AA is capable of locking down areas of a map so hard it's not even funny.

I've got it. Take the current splash damage by the rockets and transfer that to the m203, that thing is pretty hard to aim and you have to sacrifice the medbag.

Atomski

MrPing1000 said:
Holy crap metro and grand bazaar conquest are utterly utterly shit. A lot of the conquest maps feel rushed (lolz).

What? Bazaar is a fine conquest map. Actually one of my fav when it comes to the smaller maps. Metro on the other hand is just hilarious.

MrPing1000 said:

you are crazy. grand bazaar is one of the best maps in the game. with 64 players it can be pretty nuts but with 32-48 it is sooo good.

Atomski said:
What? Bazaar is a fine conquest map. Actually one of my fav when it comes to the smaller maps. Metro on the other hand is just hilarious.

I probably didn't give it a chance, the allyway became a bit of a mess, will give it another go. Metro is lol for Russia, I got 3 double rpg kills (which is also stupid), by watching the corners from the top of the escalators.

MrPing1000 said:

Grand Bazaar is one of the best conquest maps... amazing firefights.

Metro is so utterly unbalanced I'm perplexed as to how it ever made it through testing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I understand this in mainly MP, but man does the campaign suck. It's all about walking through pretty environments with some target practice stops here and there. There is no AI, demolition matters nothing and the reticule controls are terrible. Wow. The hell? I enjoyed Bad Company 2, but this is like a rotten COD.

leng jai

Wow I'm hating rush mode. I played it almost exclusively on BC2 but something here is just fucked for me. Maybe its the maps ... or the prone campers. Seems like every rush game is a massive clusterfuck.

Atomski

MrPing1000 said:
I probably didn't give it a chance, the allyway became a bit of a mess, will give it another go. Metro is lol for Russia, I got 3 double rpg kills (which is also stupid), by watching the corners from the top of the escalators.

The alley way is fun, if you are not into the crazy firefight there just go around the map and completely avoid it. hell the best plan is to go around and flank who ever is in there.

Dakota47

Got my medic dog tags.
3AQmK.gif

23movpx.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
Going off of Demize's latest tweets, it seems as if there's a lot of commotion at the DICE
offices about what balances need to made and what needs to be changed. Seems like the
upcoming patch(es) could be bringing a lot of change.

Also, they'are considering nerfing the stingers some too.

1stStrike

Banned
Keasar said:
I played BF1942 and BF2, and I were among those who would be called gods of the skies. :p
As of now though, it has been a long time and right now, this is sadly a travesty as such a basic defensive mechanism as flares or smoke is not unlocked right away on veichles feels just bad. I can "understand" the weapons like missiles etc, but at least let players start with the flares so they stand a fair chance in the air cause right now, it is near impossible to catch up without those to protect you from the constant barrage of lock-ons.

It's only 250 points to get em, though. If you've gotten a vehicle disable then you have at least 100 points - which is like 1 more disable and a kill. Surely you can get that somewhere. Once you have flares, unlocking missiles and the rest is on you.

vidal said:
You don't need a wingman. You need a competent guy in the Mobile AA with heatseekers unlocked. Someone on your tail? Fly the enemy over the Mobile AA, he'll get shot down within seconds. AA is capable of locking down areas of a map so hard it's not even funny.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that - probably because most people don't ever use the AA.

@Keasar: If you wanna try teaming up for some flying or, as vidal recommended, flying + AA combo, let me know. I'm happy to try and help a gaffer out. If you have a mic we can hop on mumble so that we can sync up our movements.

mr_nothin said:
Going off of Demize's latest tweets, it seems as if there's a lot of commotion at the DICE
offices about what balances need to made and what needs to be changed.

Also, they'are considering nerfing the stingers some too.

That's funny because they're apparently buffing jets. So, now stingers will be even more useless
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom