• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Omega Man said:
I am not asking for easy sniping, I am asking for "fair sniping", when was the last time you saw a recon armed with a long distance bolt action sniper dominating a match, racking up points and topping the charts in Bf3? shouldn't all the class have the same chance?

Being top of chart is really not important in a team based game now. K/D also means little or have much impact on scores, a player can do awful and get few kills and still be a top scorer in BF3 by doing objectives and scoring points using their various role based tools.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anton Sugar said:
That's happened to me a few times, too.

Really surprised DICE has been so slow on any recent news of a patch. I thought they'd want to get one out before MW3 hits, especially for console issues.

I'm convinced that Kharg Island and Operation Firestorm are the best maps in the game, period, for Conquest and even Rush. I love Kharg's Rush mode. Haven't played enough of Firestorm as a defender, but it's pretty fun as an attacker, too.

I haven't played much Rush. Rush is the type of game mode where team work is really important. In conquest team work matters but it doesn't seem as make or break as rush mode does.

I agree that Kharg and Firestorm are the best maps. I also hold a special place in my heart for Caspian Border and I sort of like Canals.

mxgt

Banned
Spent an hour on a 10k ticket server, got over 30k points for the match and now battlelog didn't update.

oh god please update :(

Enkidu

Does anyone know how accurate http://bf3stats.com/ is for the total online players stat? Currently it seems like all platforms are pretty even with around 130k players (with PC leading and 360 having the least) but from what I've heard about the sales numbers the 360 seems to have a large lead which makes this seem a bit odd.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
PoweredBySoy said:
Sweet jesus, no. That map is atrocious with it's choke points. I know Metro gets all the hate, but it's still a thousand times better than Bazaar.

Of course, Conquest Bazaar is glorious.
Conquest has all the same choke points though, and the alleyway point is a magnet for rocket spam. The only issue I have with Bazaar is objective B in the first set. It's really damned tight in there. Beyond that first set though, there are so many directions to take it's a joke if you can't flank on a different route.

harrytang

recon is my favorite class. providing intel to your team via the MAV or t-ugs is crucial. i hate sniping and have never used one. leveled up with the ump exclusively. the irnv on the ump is kind of stupid, but you get a lot of spots with it.

doomed1 said:
Conquest has all the same choke points though, and the alleyway point is a magnet for rocket spam. The only issue I have with Bazaar is objective B in the first set. It's really damned tight in there. Beyond that first set though, there are so many directions to take it's a joke if you can't flank on a different route.

Modes seem more inclined to some maps, but people need to take into consideration amount of players in the map. Some maps feel good with small number of players, but completely awful with large amounts. Metro is awful in any mode if you got too many players.

GenericUser

jorma said:
yeah, there are some crests you simply cannot drive over with a tank in this game, because you know that as soon as you do, 200 rockets will instantly fly your way.

and that's not even counting all the infantry deaths to rocket you have to endure.

try BFBC2, its 100 times worse. Tanks in BF3 have auto heal, various perks that can significantly increase their survival capabilities and seem to be much more agile in general (for example the boost ability when you press L3).

I am a dedicated tank driver and the nr1 reason I think people loose their tanks is simple: they do not now how to drive and fight with a tank. They dive into fights like they are invincible, but they aren't.

OG Kush

holy fuck guys i just realised that the IRNV could actually create a whole new game. sort of like a mod where everyone just uses IRNV. The whole pace of the game would change. Leagues could start forming. itll be amazing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Omega Man said:
I am not asking for easy sniping, I am asking for "fair sniping", when was the last time you saw a recon armed with a long distance bolt action sniper dominating a match, racking up points and topping the charts in Bf3? shouldn't all the class have the same chance?

read my previous posts, that's why I ask why did they put those long distance rifles in the game, they might as well remove them, no way you can use them efficiently in this game.
For the two or three people that can actually snipe worth a damn, I guess.

Majanew

Banned
Are they counting my 14% quitting on having to wait until another match is starting so I can go back to the menu? No way have a quit that much.

Kubisa

Neo Member
I've spent today playing as a Shotgun Wookie, ala BF:BC 2. Annoyingly though, most the team don't seem to want to spawn where I place my beacons despite them being about 50 meters from the objectives in Rush and in a safe place.

The motion sensor combined with the shotgun is awesome though, and if you get behind enemy lines it's so easy to just BOOM HEADSHOT people with it.

Can't wait to unlock the SOFLAM just so I can be a little more useful. Shame that so many people are being ELITE SNIPER with the class. In an objective based game like this you need as many people up front as you can most the time.

ElyrionX said:
I played MW1 and MW2 and just watched a video of MW3 briefly. After BF3, the tiny maps in COD just don't work for me anymore. In fact, I never realized just how small they are.

Trust me when I tell you that MW3 has the smallest maps of the entire series.

FStop7

Banned
harrytang said:
recon is my favorite class. providing intel to your team via the MAV or t-ugs is crucial. i hate sniping and have never used one. leveled up with the ump exclusively. the irnv on the ump is kind of stupid, but you get a lot of spots with it.

They need to give more than 10 points per spot bonus in order to encourage people to play as recon spotters and not just snipers.

FStop7 said:
They need to give more than 10 points per spot bonus in order to encourage people to play as recon spotters and not just snipers.

It doesn't take much effort to be a spotter, recon players have the best view of any player generally and can spot more than anyone usually. They are basically screwing themselves out of points by not spending the quick second to hit the spot button.

Spl1nter

zephervack said:
Problem is most players will Give up the Recon before unlocking the M98B, that is the weapon im waiting for before I give it up, where you using IRNV by any chance?

8x scope. The 12x scope FOV (too small) and scope (too long) in time make it useless unless you are immobile.

I found the m40 good as well. The m98b however is the best bolt action.

Mr Sandman said:
Suppressing the shit out of sniper with the suppression spec (and getting hit markers) and having him somehow headshot me back really pisses me off. The feature feels worthless sometimes. It should affect accuracy greatly like RO2.
This. Drives. Me. Crazy.

FStop7 said:

Yesterday I was playing around with the MAV and spent an entire Rush round spotting with it, and ended up with 5k+ points. It's not the greatest score ever, but considering all I did was fly this thing around and jam on the Q button, I think I was compensated fairly.

Although, it was a Rush map, and both teams were highly concentrated in one area. Spotting would be much more sparse on Conquest.

I still think they should give the MAV semi-autonomous capabilities like the SOFLAM - allow you to park it and have it spot on it's own for a certain distance.

Spl1nter

PoweredBySoy said:
I still think they should give the MAV semi-autonomous capabilities like the SOFLAM - allow you to park it and have it spot on it's own for a certain distance.

It does have those abilities. The MAV continues to spot even when not in use. However it does not maintain hover and lands. There are a number of great places to hide it on most maps around points.

Woo-Fu

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
It doesn't take much effort to be a spotter, recon players have the best view of any player generally and can spot more than anyone usually. They are basically screwing themselves out of points by not spending the quick second to hit the spot button.

I'm convinced that a large part of the bf3 playerbase fall into a couple camps.

Camp #1: Spotting? Q button? WTF are you talking about?
Camp #2: Spotting just allows people to steal my kills.

Arment

Kubisa said:
I've spent today playing as a Shotgun Wookie, ala BF:BC 2. Annoyingly though, most the team don't seem to want to spawn where I place my beacons despite them being about 50 meters from the objectives in Rush and in a safe place.

The motion sensor combined with the shotgun is awesome though, and if you get behind enemy lines it's so easy to just BOOM HEADSHOT people with it.

Can't wait to unlock the SOFLAM just so I can be a little more useful. Shame that so many people are being ELITE SNIPER with the class. In an objective based game like this you need as many people up front as you can most the time.

I like running around with the 4x Acog on my sniper rifles. Brings me back to the days of run and gun sniping in vCoD or CoD2.

Lately I have been using the shotguns like crazy, but with the engineer class. RPGs are just too good to not have 10 of them at your disposal.

Woo-Fu said:
I'm convinced that a large part of the bf3 playerbase fall into a couple camps.

Camp #1: Spotting? Q button? WTF are you talking about?
Camp #2: Spotting just allows people to steal my kills.
I spot every now and again when I know I can't kill a dude, but a decade or more of competitive FPS has driven it in to my head that when I see someone, my first reaction should be to shoot :p

ElyrionX

Spl1nter said:
8x scope. The 12x scope FOV (too small) and scope (too long) in time make it useless unless you are immobile.

I found the m40 good as well. The m98b however is the best bolt action.

What's your playstyle like with the M98 and an 8x scope? How close are you to the action?

Also, what about the M98 makes you think it is the best bolt action? As far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the M40 and SV98 is that it has the least bullet drop though I don't find the bullet drop to be dramatically better than the other two. I've only just unlocked it though so I haven't had much time with it.

Arment

ElyrionX said:
What's your playstyle like with the M98 and an 8x scope? How close are you to the action?

Also, what about the M98 makes you think it is the best bolt action? As far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the M40 and SV98 is that it has the least bullet drop though I don't find the bullet drop to be dramatically better than the other two. I've only just unlocked it though so I haven't had much time with it.

I'm curious to know the exact statistics on these guns myself. The M40 was such a huge improvement over the SV98 in terms of bullet velocity and damage. I don't see the advantage of the M98 though. I still use it, because there's no way they'd take 4 bullets from a gun and not give it something to make up for it.

ElyrionX said:

The biggest difference being the 95% health damage the M98B has, if the opposing player has as much as scrap they will die from the first shot, otherwise, 1 shot from your pistol will kill them. SV98 does 75% in comparison.

EA has probably the worst customer support I've ever had to endure. Fucking assholes. Now they tell me that my brothers account is activated with them. Doesn't help that he still isn't able to get his Online Pass or redownload it at all.

The one hour wait for an incompetent operator to completely fail to understand what is going on is just abysmal.

The future of gaming is here, who cares if some legit customers get fucked sideways and then told by EA to deal with it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I spot every now and again when I know I can't kill a dude, but a decade or more of competitive FPS has driven it in to my head that when I see someone, my first reaction should be to shoot :p

It would be cool if they changed spotting to if you hit someone with a shot they are auto-spotted. There have been plenty of times where I aim and shoot only to get maybe 1 shot on a guy before he rounds the corner. If I shot him Obviously I spotted him, so instead of having to hit "Q" it should auto register for my teammates.

PoweredBySoy said:
Yesterday I was playing around with the MAV and spent an entire Rush round spotting with it, and ended up with 5k+ points. It's not the greatest score ever, but considering all I did was fly this thing around and jam on the Q button, I think I was compensated fairly.

Although, it was a Rush map, and both teams were highly concentrated in one area. Spotting would be much more sparse on Conquest.

Did the same thing yesterday as well. Rush on Damavand. It was my first time using the MAV and I just spotted the entire game. Got mad points and we won the first three sections but lost the battle in the tunnel.

Now that I know I can road kill with it I'll be doing that as well now too. good times

I also love how your equipment can be picked up for reuse or replenished by support

Spl1nter said:
It does have those abilities. The MAV continues to spot even when not in use. However it does not maintain hover and lands. There are a number of great places to hide it on most maps around points.

Interesting. Tell me more.

RbBrdMan said:
It would be cool if they changed spotting to if you hit someone with a shot they are auto-spotted. There have been plenty of times where I aim and shoot only to get maybe 1 shot on a guy before he rounds the corner. If I shot him Obviously I spotted him, so instead of having to hit "Q" it should auto register for my teammates.
Yep, this is a good idea.

Binabik15

*Wilhem Tell scream*

Just got second in a very close race to the top on Caspian Border. So close. If I hadn´t fiddled around with my new tank unlocks I wouldn´t have died to another tank and gotten a kill streak ribbon and probably the MVP as well. Damn smoke. I didn´t want to equip this, I wanted ZOOM. I spent ages in that tank and even shot down another attack helo with my main gun. That was too close to me, biotch. Started harassing me and my tank mate when we tag teamed a tank driving out of their spawn, how rude.

I got two tank unlocks in that round, proximity scan and guided missile, yay. Two vehicle destroyed ribbons. Boosted my ppm AND pushed my skill level up over 80 points (to 127 :/). Even got a kill with the IGLA *wipes tear*

Somehow, I only have three of those. I have gotten "road kills" when shooting down helis and jets, though.

So, now that I have the guided shell, does it only work with SOFLAM´d targets? I´ve never seen anybody using one.

Had a total derp moment, I didn´t realize that I already had autoloader. Is it better to use this than Maintenance? I´ve grown used to my super regenerating tank, it´s not like a lot of people repair (or even have the tool equipped). Only about 9k more points until the Thermal Vision. Than I´ll stick it to those bush wookie engineers.

mxgt

Banned
The annoyance I feel when I get sniped and just see the kill cam of a guy proned on the ground in a bush or on a roof is immense.

I hate them so much

mxgt said:
The annoyance I feel when I get sniped and just see the kill cam of a guy proned on the ground in a bush or on a roof is immense.

I hate them so much

Killcam in this game is a Joke, I really hope Dice gets it right one of these days :(

ElyrionX

zephervack said:
The biggest difference being the 95% health damage the M98B has, if the opposing player has as much as scrap they will die from the first shot, otherwise, 1 shot from your pistol will kill them. SV98 does 75% in comparison.

Wait this is confirmed? I never realized this since almost all my 20 or so kills with it so far have been headshots. Hmmm, I actually switched to leveling other classes when I finally got the M98 but maybe I should go back to recon for a while again.

Arment

mxgt said:

I hate them so much

The worst is someone splayed over a rock, angling down, but shooting straight. Makes me mini-rage every time.

zephervack said:

I've been hearing that the best sniper is the M40A5, because it does lots of damage and and reloads faster than another sniper rifle, but now that you tell me that the M98B has 95% base damage that might be the sniper to go for.
Any site with the stats of the rifles?

The Omega Man said:
I've been hearing that the best sniper is the M40A5, because it does lots of damage and and reloads faster than another sniper rifle, but now that you tell me that the M98B has 95% base damage that might be the sniper to go for.
Any site with the stats of the rifles?

Wikia says it was 95% in the Beta but there is no mention of Retail, Im guessing it stayed the same. I cant wait for a damage chart like the one we had in BC2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom