• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizatch

ElyrionX said:
Also, the fact that spawn beacons can only be used by squad members renders it almost worthless in most pub games since you can just spawn directly on the recon.

Im pretty sure anyone can spawn on the recon's beacon, not just people in the squad.

Edit: so I googled it, and it looks like it is only for your squad. I swear I played on a server where I was able to spawn on other people's point. either it was a custom ruleset, or I was confused about who was in my squad lol.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
RbBrdMan said:
Ping is 23ms for me.

Ugh, I didn't notice the map rotation. I think I'm going to pass too. I just wanted to play a long 1000 ticket match to try and rack up some points for my assault class. Anyone know of any good high ticket servers?

Honestly I'm too afraid of a 1000 ticket server crashing. Just imagine if you put an hour into a map, only to have it crash?

jorma

is now taking requests
ii Stryker said:
Having a class thats allowed to supply themselves with infinite C4 is not balance.

what do you use c4 for besides blowing up tanks? it's not an event you auto perform, you die a lot doing it. you dont actually NEED infinite c4 for anything.

Calling c4 unbalanced sounds really whiny coming from someone who plays engineer. I get killed by rockets a lot more than i do c4.

Miggytronz

commish said:
How? I'm sure it's in my key bindings, but I'm at work :)

if you see your ally or enemy gun next to their body simple stand over it and hold the allocated pick up button to take the kit.

For XBOX its X, not sure for PC.

bizatch

jorma said:
what do you use c4 for besides blowing up tanks? it's not an event you auto perform, you die a lot doing it. you dont actually NEED infinite c4 for anything.

Calling c4 unbalanced sounds really whiny coming from someone who plays engineer. I get killed by rockets a lot more than i do c4.

I recall very few instances where I was killed by c4. I agree, rockets are a pain in the ass.

Why did DICE give long range snipers to the recon class? I've been playing on PS3 for a few days as a recon and I think the maps are not well suited for this type of rifles, even with the bolt action rifle I was having trouble keeping the enemies on sight, they run and go indoors or behind structures very fast since the maps are designed that way, I could hit an enemy running usually a body shot since hitting the head of a running foe from far a way is almost impossible, but by the time I wanted to hit someone again he is usually long gone and aware of my position which brings me to my second point.
I started using just the first recon rifles and put a regular acog on them and started engaging the enemies at mid to close quarter distances, then I started popping headshots or 2 shots to the chest and the enemies were dropping like flies and I was doing so much much better, even topping the charts a few times, so I should have noticed that the class is called "recon" and not "sniper" but then again I ask all of you BF3 experts, is there a map/game mode that suites the long distance bolt action sniper user type of guy? because I haven't see anyone been able to pull that successfully and scoring a lot with lots of points, yes you see the occasional long range sniper but those usually end up with 3 kills and 12 deaths, don't get me wrong I LOVE being an assault-recon I is awesome popping headshots with the automatic rifles, but it was/is kind of frustrating trying to be a long range sniper in this game, the game just doesn't lend itself to this kind of play style, or does it? school me GAF

The Omega Man said:
Why did DICE give long range snipers to the recon class? I've been playing on PS3 for a few days as a recon and I think the maps are not well suited for this type of rifles, even whit the bolt action rifle I was having trouble keeping the enemies on sight, they run and go indoors or behind structures very fast since the maps are designed that way, I could hit an enemy running usually a body shot since hitting the head of a running foe from far a way is almost impossible, but by the time I wanted to hit someone again he is usually long gone and aware of my position which brings me to my second point.
I started using just the first recon rifles and put a regular acog on them and started engaging the enemies at mid to close quarter distances, then I started popping headshots or 2 shots to the chest and the enemies were dropping like flies and I started doing so much much better, even topping the charts a few times, so I should have notice that the class is call named "recon" and not "sniper" but then again I ask all of you BF3 experts, is there a map/game mode that suites the long distance bolt action sniper user type of guy? because I haven't see anyone been able to pull that successfully and scoring a lot with lots of points, yes you see the occasional long range sniper but those usually end of with 3 kills and 12 deaths, don't get me wrong I LOVE being an assault-recon I is awesome popping headshots with the automatic rifles, but it was/is kind of frustrating trying to be a long range sniper in this game, the game just doesn't lend itself to this kind of play style, or does it? school me GAF

In my opinion Recon is broken in this game, if you still enjoy it like i do, play on Hardcore servers and unlock the IRNV for your favorite rifle, your enjoyment of the game will shoot through the roof :)

The Omega Man said:
Why did DICE give long range snipers to the recon class? I've been playing on PS3 for a few days as a recon and I think the maps are not well suited for this type of rifles, even whit the bolt action rifle I was having trouble keeping the enemies on sight, they run and go indoors or behind structures very fast since the maps are designed that way, I could hit an enemy running usually a body shot since hitting the head of a running foe from far a way is almost impossible, but by the time I wanted to hit someone again he is usually long gone and aware of my position which brings me to my second point.
I started using just the first recon rifles and put a regular acog on them and started engaging the enemies at mid to close quarter distances, then I started popping headshots or 2 shots to the chest and the enemies were dropping like flies and I started doing so much much better, even topping the charts a few times, so I should have notice that the class is call named "recon" and not "sniper" but then again I ask all of you BF3 experts, is there a map/game mode that suites the long distance bolt action sniper user type of guy? because I haven't see anyone been able to pull that successfully and scoring a lot with lots of points, yes you see the occasional long range sniper but those usually end of with 3 kills and 12 deaths, don't get me wrong I LOVE being an assault-recon I is awesome popping headshots with the automatic rifles, but it was/is kind of frustrating trying to be a long range sniper in this game, the game just doesn't lend itself to this kind of play style, or does it? school me GAF

Just don't play as a recon if the map doesn't suit it. Also you don't have to use the sniper rifles with recon, there are the universal unlocks that you can use with the recon for close range combat purposes on the smaller maps.

zephervack said:
In my opinion Recon is broken in this game, if you still enjoy it like i do, play on Hardcore servers and unlock the IRNV for your favorite rifle, your enjoyment of the game will shoot through the roof :)

yeah I guess is that, Sniper class has gotten so much hate that I feel DICE just cripple the class, at least at long distances, no point on using those long range bolt action snipers in this game which is kind of sad because you could be a successful sniper in BF2 without being overpowered.

Wthermans

Banned
Desaan said:
On the subject of recon, does anyone have weird control issues with MAV on certain maps? As an example - on Bazaar I can just pump the throttle and will auto fall if I don't keep the power on, whereas on Operation Firestorm once I hit the power it stays at altitude and here's the weird part, no matter what I bind power down to the bloody thing will not come down unless I relinquish control. If I pick up the controller it works fine, but not using the keyboard? hmmmm (I assume it is chopper controls that it uses).
It doesn't use the chopper controls. You have to use Left Control to lower your throttle and drop altitude.

Majanew

Banned
Conquest on Operation Metro sucks ass. Fuck that piece of shit map. Quit out every time it comes up.

And it is annoying when I join a game that just ended and it gives me the loss. I didn't even get in the game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Majanew said:
Conquest on Operation Metro sucks ass. Fuck that piece of shit map. Quit out every time it comes up.

And it is annoying when I join a game that just ended and it gives me the loss. I didn't even get in the game.
Yep. Fucking awful map.

ElyrionX

BattleMonkey said:
Just don't play as a recon if the map doesn't suit it. Also you don't have to use the sniper rifles with recon, there are the universal unlocks that you can use with the recon for close range combat purposes on the smaller maps.

Like I said above, there is absolutely no point to using those weapons with the recon class unless you are trying to grind it to unlock stuff. Might as well go for the other three classes. You'll be more useful in close quarters than recon will ever be.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
RbBrdMan said:
Ping is 23ms for me.

Ugh, I didn't notice the map rotation. I think I'm going to pass too. I just wanted to play a long 1000 ticket match to try and rack up some points for my assault class. Anyone know of any good high ticket servers?
You could still rack up alot of points in metro conquest as an assault. Just keep reviving.

Also, I think I have my top 3 Rush maps:
1. Damivad Peak
2. Metro
3. Grand Bazar

Both Damivad and Metro are AWFUL conquest maps though. While they have a great feeling of advancing, they end up being narrow meat-grinders with little to no chance of getting around in their conquest iterations. I really wish there was a surface path as well as the subterranean stuff. This would add a layer of verticality and make it more difficult to hold EVERY position and then rape the base.

marjo

jorma said:

Exactly. Of all the time I've been killed while in a tank, I'd say the breakdown is like this:

C4 < 1%
Helicopters or Jets < 5%
Othen Tank < 20 %
Rockets or mines > 75%

BattleMonkey said:

but that's the thing, I know I can do well as a recon with universal unlocks and automatic rifles with acog at med to close distances, I just haven't seen a case where a long range sniper can be successful and top the charts every now and then regardless of the map or type of game, you can see all other classes coming on top but a recon armed with a long range sniper would get you nowhere it seems; regardless of the map or type of game.
it's simply frustrating using these kind of rifles in this game, you feel at disadvantage all the time, even in long range confrontations, by the time you successfully land the 2 or 3 shots it takes to kill a foe (add the difficulty of bullet drop plus the enemy running), the enemy can out run you, notice you and even kill more efficiently with his assault rifle.

jorma

is now taking requests
padlock said:
Exactly. Of all the time I've been killed while in a tank, I'd say the breakdown is like this:

C4 < 1%
Helicopters or Jets < 5%
Othen Tank < 20 %
Rockets or mines > 75%

yeah, there are some crests you simply cannot drive over with a tank in this game, because you know that as soon as you do, 200 rockets will instantly fly your way.

and that's not even counting all the infantry deaths to rocket you have to endure.

butts

Short to Mid range (< 150m) SV98 with holo site and straight pull bolt on PC is really satisfying if your aim is good. As long as you play smart you can play fairly aggressive and still be effective. Long range is still possible but can be a little tricky.

RotBot

The Omega Man said:
but that's the thing, I know I can do well as a recon with universal unlocks and automatic rifles with acog at med to close distances, I just haven't seen a case where a long range sniper can be successful and top the charts every now and then regardless of the map or type of game, you can see all other classes coming on top but a recon armed with a long range sniper would get you nowhere it seems; regardless of the map or type of game.
it's simply frustrating using these kind of rifles in this game, you feel at disadvantage all the time, even in long range confrontations, by the time you successfully land the 2 or 3 shots it takes to kill a foe (add the difficulty of bullet drop plus the enemy running), the enemy can out run you, notice you and even kill more efficiently with his assault rifle.
I think it's just DICE's way of discouraging long-range sniping. One of the basic rules of Battlefield: whichever team has the fewest snipers wins the round.

The Omega Man said:

In what way are you feeling at a disadvantage? A sniper rifle has many advantages and takes more skill to use. If you want pure kill scores perhaps the other classes are better suited as you will be more in the thick of the action, while a sniper will have to be patient to get his/her kills. It's pretty much about playstyle with being a sniper in this game, but if you are concerned purely with what can get you most kills, then that would be up to how you want to play and skill.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
doomed1 said:
You could still rack up alot of points in metro conquest as an assault. Just keep reviving.

1. Damivad Peak
2. Metro
3. Grand Bazar

Both Damivad and Metro are AWFUL conquest maps though. While they have a great feeling of advancing, they end up being narrow meat-grinders with little to no chance of getting around in their conquest iterations. I really wish there was a surface path as well as the subterranean stuff. This would add a layer of verticality and make it more difficult to hold EVERY position and then rape the base.

Yea, I've racked up points a few times on Metro. It's just so fucking boring though, standing at B if your Russians and reviving people or standing below the stairs if you are US reviving people. ZZZZzzzZZZzzz... I would rather be actually playing the game.

I came in late on a 1000 ticket rush which was on Firestorm and it was much more fun running around capping flags and all the actual game stuff instead of sitting around reviving and throwing endless med packs. Ended that game with almost 10000 points.

edit: Oh and I finally got my conquest capture ribbon so that was a cool 10000 points by itself.

daedalius

The Omega Man said:

I stopped playing Recon and switched completely to assault. My KDR is much better now. 4x zoom with assault rifle is much better than the semi-auto sniper rifles.

I would have just switched to engineer but didn't feel like playing the same thing as 90% of the playerbase.

Playing a mid-range recon like I did in BFBC2 just doesn't work anymore. RIP motion mines and SVU :(

butts

Recon is definitely the most situational class in the game right now. Other than having fun using the bolt action, its not really worthwhile at all IMO.

I also thought the MAV was supposed to be able to go into auto mode and hover and spot by itself, but every time I stop controlling it the thing just loses altitude. Is it supposed to be able to run by itself or is it only the SOFLAM that can?

butts said:
Recon is definitely the most situational class in the game right now. Other than having fun using the bolt action, its not really worthwhile at all IMO.

I also thought the MAV was supposed to be able to go into auto mode and hover and spot by itself, but every time I stop controlling it the thing just loses altitude. Is it supposed to be able to run by itself or is it only the SOFLAM that can?

It's sad though as the spawn beacon is such an important piece of equipment that can completely change the course of the game. But so many maps you have recons up in hill and never using spawn beacons.

ElyrionX

RotBot said:
I think it's just DICE's way of discouraging long-range sniping. One of the basic rules of Battlefield: whichever team has the fewest snipers wins the round.

They discourage long-range sniping but yet they foist the only sniping class in the game with MAV and SOFLAM; two gadgets that can only be safely used if you are far away from the action.

Also, the scope glint in this game is ridiculous in its implementation. Why should scope glint be visible even through smoke and fog when everything else is hidden?

jorma said:

Word.

doomed1 said:

3. Grand Bazar

Sweet jesus, no. That map is atrocious with it's choke points. I know Metro gets all the hate, but it's still a thousand times better than Bazaar.

Of course, Conquest Bazaar is glorious.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well, that was strange I went to log into a MP server and the SP campaign launched.

Sorry DICE I don't want to play your SP campaign.
KuGsj.gif

RbBrdMan said:
Well, that was strange I went to log into a MP server and the SP campaign launched.

Sorry DICE I don't want to play your SP campaign.
KuGsj.gif

That's happened to me a few times, too.

Really surprised DICE has been so slow on any recent news of a patch. I thought they'd want to get one out before MW3 hits, especially for console issues.

I'm convinced that Kharg Island and Operation Firestorm are the best maps in the game, period, for Conquest and even Rush. I love Kharg's Rush mode. Haven't played enough of Firestorm as a defender, but it's pretty fun as an attacker, too.

daedalius

ElyrionX said:
They discourage long-range sniping but yet they foist the only sniping class in the game with MAV and SOFLAM; two gadgets that can only be safely used if you are far away from the action.

Also, the scope glint in this game is ridiculous in its implementation. Why should scope glint be visible even through smoke and fog when everything else is hidden?

My only guess would be DICE hates the Recon class, or for teh lulz.

well after reading all these comments, It's good to know that it wasn't my imagination others also believe that the recon class is indeed cripple/nerfed in many ways including long distance confrontations.
I guess DICE gave in to the sniper hate, they might as well remove the class or remove the long range sniper rifles, it's funny watching people trying to adapt and quick scoping at close range with a long range rifle and an 4x acog, that's good for all those that can put that crap constantly, however that was not was these rifles were realistically created for.
BF2 sniper memories shattered.

daedalius said:
My only guess would be DICE hates the Recon class, or for teh lulz.

you don't say

feel

They should cripple them even more as far as I'm concerned. Easy sniping ruins online games. So fucking annoying getting killed by some kid behind a bush on the other side of the map.

Spl1nter

The Omega Man said:
well after reading all these comments, It's good to know that it wasn't my imagination others also believe that the recon class is indeed cripple/nerfed in many ways including long distances confrontations.

This is a silly statement. Thats were the class excels.

The Omega Man said:
I guess DICE gave in to the sniper hate, they might as well removed the class or remove the long range sniper rifles, it's funny watching people trying to adapt and quick scoping at close range with a long range sniper and an 4x acog, that's good for all those that can put that crap constantly, however that was not was these rifles were realistically created for.
People simply dont know how to play the class properly and smart. You support your squad with the mav and fire support. The class has a very well defined role.

Tunin

Am I the only one against all these change suggestions? I mean there are some valid ones such as javelin nerf (which should be based on the distance the missile travels), but nerfing RPGs, really? I mean, some maps like grand bazaar's corridor area are a clusterfuck of RPGs but it's all a matter of counter-attacking.

And tanks being destroyed too easy? Team up with an engineer and make him repair the tank while you wipe all the enemies, it's not that hard.
So far I'm quite happy with BF3's balance, there are some over exaggerated stuff like the mine spam (which should be limited) and the pistol's damage that should be buffed, but everything else plays out great.

What I've noticed is, you can do great alone only on foot. Tank rape, chopper rape (like in BC2, one of it's greatest problems) or plane rape is nearly impossible and I'm happy with that. People used to pilot choppers in BC2 and manage kill more than anyone else dying 2 or 3 times per round, it was beyond ridiculous.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Omega Man said:
well after reading all these comments, It's good to know that it wasn't my imagination others also believe that the recon class is indeed cripple/nerfed in many ways including long distance confrontations.
I guess DICE gave in to the sniper hate, they might as well remove the class or remove the long range sniper rifles, it's funny watching people trying to adapt and quick scoping at close range with a long range rifle and an 4x acog, that's good for all those that can put that crap constantly, however that was not was these rifles were realistically created for.

you don't say
The class is called recon, not sniper. They're supposed to be spotting things as well. That's why they got the MAV.

The Omega Man said:
well after reading all these comments, It's good to know that it wasn't my imagination others also believe that the recon class is indeed cripple/nerfed in many ways including long distances confrontations.
I guess DICE gave in to the sniper hate, they might as well removed the class or remove the long range sniper rifles, it's funny watching people trying to adapt and quick scoping at close range with a long range sniper and an 4x acog, that's good for all those that can put that crap constantly, however that was not was these rifles were realistically created for.

Snipers in BF games have always been a major point of contention in all the titles. They are generally the most nerfed/buffed class in the series compared to other classes. In BF2 they went through so many updates to snipers. People hated them for being too good in that, they went through various series of nerfs including stuff like giving them a large puff of smoke whenever they fired to help players find them at a distance once. In BC2 we saw snipers become a major bane to the game as they served very little purpose in objective based gameplay.

Recons by their nature and snipers don't help a ton in an objective based game. In reality it's ideal that only a couple players play the role of sniper which I think is what they are trying to do here in BF3 as to prevent what happened with BC2 where you would have a majority of the team playing snipers instead of doing objectives.

Take snipers out of the game completely and I'm sure people would not be happy.

Recons just need some tweaks to be more effective, but they got to be careful making them too good as then it just hurts the rest of the game if we got too many people trying to be snipers.

Letters said:
They should cripple them even more as far as I'm concerned. Easy sniping ruins online games. So fucking annoying getting killed by some kid behind a bush on the other side of the map.

I am not asking for easy sniping, I am asking for "fair sniping", when was the last time you saw a recon armed with a long distance bolt action sniper dominating a match, racking up points and topping the charts in Bf3? shouldn't all the class have the same chance?

SapientWolf said:
The class is called recon, not sniper. They're supposed to be spotting things as well. That's why they got the MAV.

read my previous posts, that's why I ask why did they put those long distance rifles in the game, they might as well remove them, no way you can use them efficiently in this game.

J-Rzez

Everyday I log on to do some games I notice more and more people hacking/cheating. Has DICE been doing anything about this problem yet? Have they even acknowledged it? Or are they relying on server admins to kick people and that's it, leaving these people to cheat at will, and grief gamers and troll the leaderboards?

ElyrionX

Letters said:

And you think that "kid" had an easy time aiming for your head? If you think sniping is so easy in this game, why don't you give it a shot and see how you fare?

ShaneB

Loving this game as my first Battlefield, and the scope of the battles I've really been enjoying, but a question about the maps.

Did they design some of these knowing choke points would be such an issue?

ElyrionX said:
And you think that "kid" had an easy time aiming for your head? If you think sniping is so easy in this game, why don't you give it a shot and see how you fare?
Yup, I suck at sniping. People get very good at it, but to be a good sniper takes skill.

That's why I have no problem with snipers. If they're good enough to kill me from across the map then props to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom