• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

using the MAV is pretty handy. + you get a shitload of points just for spotting alone. I just got 15 surveillance ribbons.

mxgt said:
The annoyance I feel when I get sniped and just see the kill cam of a guy proned on the ground in a bush or on a roof is immense.

I hate them so much

I used to feel the same way until I tried sniping myself. There's definitely a skill to it.

TBH I get killed much more by the other three classes then by snipers.

Roude Leiw said:
what class has smoke grenades? or are smoke grenades unlocks?

Assault. After so many kills with the M320GL you'll unlock smoke rounds

mxgt

Banned
ii Stryker said:
I used to feel the same way until I tried sniping myself. There's definitely a skill to it.

TBH I get killed much more by the other three classes then by snipers.

I get killed more by the other classes too and I know sniping takes skill in the game, I just hate getting sniped :(

Facism

Arment said:
The worst is someone splayed over a rock, angling down, but shooting straight. Makes me mini-rage every time.

The one i hate is when the guy is crouching behind cover, and his weapon is clipping through a wall. His model has no clearance over the wall but he can still shoot the fuck out of me.

Spl1nter

ElyrionX said:
What's your playstyle like with the M98 and an 8x scope? How close are you to the action?

Also, what about the M98 makes you think it is the best bolt action? As far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the M40 and SV98 is that it has the least bullet drop though I don't find the bullet drop to be dramatically better than the other two. I've only just unlocked it though so I haven't had much time with it.

The m98 has less drop and a faster bullet travel time on top of doing 95 damage before drop off.

I usually snipe from medium range. I move around a lot and position myself based on info from the mav.

Facism said:
The one i hate is when the guy is crouching behind cover, and his weapon is clipping through a wall. His model has no clearance over the wall but he can still shoot the fuck out of me.

And this is something that happens on all 1st person shooters because they keep putting the player's camera on top of the character head.
But what really gets to me is the models laying down on a corner with half the body inside the wall...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
SilverBullet said:
And this is something that happens on all 1st person shooters because they keep putting the player's camera on top of the character head.
But what really gets to me is the models laying down on a corner with half the body inside the wall...
The flipside to the latter is that if they clip through the wall you can shoot their legs and kill them!

daedalius

I might switch back to Recon once I get a decent universal unlock for a weapon, I don't really have much of a desire to play as a sniper. In bf2142 I almost exclusively rolled with that SMG they got, and in BFBC2 I always used the semi-auto snipers so I could be up front tossing motion mines.

But apparently I've run into some sort of bug... anyone have any idea why I'd be getting horrific mouse input lag? Like, my view will literally lag behind my mouse movements sometimes, its awful.

I've turned down all my graphical detail to no avail and turned on/off raw mouse input, neither seem to work. Any ideas?

Here is an awesome video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XCY7QL7YOU&feature=related

And yes I've tried switching Raw on/off

Is there a 360 friends list for BF3? I know most of you guys are master racing it up but I only got it on 360 and no one ever uses a mic. This is totally a game I want to play with a full squad, all with mics, getting shit done.

EVIL

RbBrdMan said:
It would be cool if they changed spotting to if you hit someone with a shot they are auto-spotted. There have been plenty of times where I aim and shoot only to get maybe 1 shot on a guy before he rounds the corner. If I shot him Obviously I spotted him, so instead of having to hit "Q" it should auto register for my teammates.
you already get points for assists (even when you only land one bullet on him), so I don't see why you would need to be able to auto spot.

EVIL

daedalius said:
I might switch back to Recon once I get a decent universal unlock for a weapon, I don't really have much of a desire to play as a sniper.
go for the ump 45 (level 16 unlock).

as for your issue, maybe its vsync?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
EVIL said:
you already get points for assists (even when you only land one bullet on him), so I don't see why you would need to be able to auto spot.
Not necessarily for the points but to help the team out by having the enemy spotted.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
EVIL said:

That's what I've been using to level support. It's a terrible, terrible gun. So many firefights I KNOW I would have won had I any other weapon.

commish said:
That's what I've been using to level support. It's a terrible, terrible gun. So many firefights I KNOW I would have won had I any other weapon.

Why would a support not be using one of their awesome weapons like the M249?

daedalius

EVIL said:

I guess I'll mess with vsync and raw input settings when I get home. From looking around the net on different forums, it looks like this has been an issue since Alpha.

I really want that PDW-R, looks badass. Too bad you don't get it till like level 30 (not a fan of how they did these new rank unlocks...)

OG Kush

I can't believe you PC people are complaining. I had some amazing games on 360 today, many people spotting, reviving, health packs, ammo and so much teamwork. it was actually probably the best time i had playing bf3. the IRNV didn't even seem that imbalanced as i thought before. only complaint as that spotting is too easy with the IRNV i was doing loads basically felt like recon when playing assault. and too many rockets.
rush btw. rush was designed for consoles and thats why theres some really good console rush matches.

mr_nothin

Banned
There are so many empty servers right now. Just about every server in my favs list is empty
or not even half way full. They are usually filled up all day/every day....

I guess people were able to get MW3 early or something?

Edit: Jesus...I just did a search for NA Conquest with no other options selected and man are there a BUNCH of empty servers and not many people playing. wtf

Atomski

I was on this server last night that had all sorts of stupid rules, such as no mortars. Well I then got killed by the admin for ramming. Seriously.. ramming?!

mr_nothin said:
There are so many empty servers right now. Just about every server in my favs list is empty

Its monday.. people have jobs/school and other places to be.

commish

BattleMonkey said:
Why would a support not be using one of their awesome weapons like the M249?

Just wasn't feeling it. The default weapons for both sides are pretty good, but I wanted to level 1 gun. Maybe I'll spend some more time with the 249. The recoil made it a little rough for my play style.

mr_nothin said:

Depends on where the server/playerbase is located, some places of the world are already getting MW3, plus it's monday, lot of us stuck at work.

mr_nothin

Banned
Atomski said:
I was on this server last night that had all sorts of stupid rules, such as no mortars. Well I then got killed by the admin for ramming. Seriously.. ramming?!

Its monday.. people have jobs/school and other places to be.
It's never been this empty though. My favs are usually filled up completely during anytime of any day. It could be tuesday morning at 3am (est) and the server would be full.

mr_nothin said:

Edit: Jesus...I just did a search for NA Conquest with no other options selected and man are there a BUNCH of empty servers and not many people playing. wtf

I've been playing full matches on the console all morning long. Taking a break now actually.

commish

mr_nothin said:

Maybe some folks actually work during the day :p

I definitely expect a bunch of folks to go over to MW3 - it only makes sense. I also expect a bunch of them will return eventually. Not that BF3 is better - haven't played MW3 yet -but because BF3 offers a different experience.

mr_nothin said:
It's never been this empty though. My favs are usually filled up completely during anytime of any day. It could be tuesday morning at 3am (est) and the server would be full.

Only the 2nd week of the game being out, it's hard to judge how things will be normally for it. And with most games, lot of servers die off after initial release as players find new servers they like to play on, and the launch week rush is done as players start to play less and in some cases move onto other games. Tons of servers are up and full up

mr_nothin

Banned
commish said:

I definitely expect a bunch of folks to go over to MW3 - it only makes sense. I also expect a bunch of them will return eventually. Not that BF3 is better - haven't played MW3 yet -but because BF3 offers a different experience.
Exactly how many week days have we had since bf3 released? It's not like I dont know what a work day is.

commish said:

They will be back of course. There is this weird mentality that MW3 will launch perfectly balanced with zero issues but that wake up call will ring soon enough for them. Some folks just want to be dolphin diving camping snipers and thankfully, they won't be back. But I will miss their easy kills.

commish

mr_nothin said:
Exactly how many week days have we had since bf3 released? It's not like I dont know what a work day is.

Okay? Then everyone is leaving for MW3?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
njean777 said:
What are people's thoughts on the sks? I personally find it to be the best sniper rifle.
Just a little weak. I prefer the M39 with suppressor, foregrip, and holosight. Shoots just a bit slow for my taste, but still pretty boss.

The G3A3 is pretty damned boss once you get the suppressor for it. Before it kicked like a mule, even if you could get enough punch into it, but with the suppressor it's soooo much smoother. Only downside is that you can't do much about longer range engagements. I'm 25 kills til the 6x scope, so I'm gonna get to that, throw on the heavy barrel and bipod, and start sniping peeps. :3

Atomski

Plenty of servers full right now. Maybe just play one thats not on your list. Neogafs east coast server is almost always empty at these hours. 5pm till 2am its bumpin though.

commish

mbmonk said:
Battlelog.. increasing the number of E-penis posts by 100%.. thanks Battlelog.

Is there a way to see ALL of your games?

Battlelog still sucks compared to the online system of Killzone 2. Being able to watch your match online was fantastic.

Noaloha

On the topic of the MAV, can anyone fill me in on a peculiar function I've noticed it has. I understand that you can see enemy equipment lit up white (spawn beacons, T-UGS, etc), however I found that -- against some, not all -- of the enemy equipment, if I keep the centre of the crosshair fixed on it for a short duration, a flashing 'lock-on' square appears, accompanied by some beeping. If I then keep locking on, eventually it switches to a fixed (ie. non-flashing) square lock-on and shortly afterwards the equipment explodes! And I get points for destroying enemy gadgetry.

Question then: for practical purposes, is there a restriction on what sorts of enemy equipment this works against, or are the few times I've not been able to target a white box simply a kicker from the game's little quirky bugs? (Or, could it be that I'm unwittingly targeting a friendly, say, T-UGS?) And for simply curious purposes, what the fuck is my MAV actually doing to the equipment from several dozen metres in the air to make it go pop?

Oh, and on the topic of nothing in particular, I'm struggling to figure out what the warriors&wizards-esque fantasy game equivalent of the Support class is. Assault is a Cleric I suppose. Engineers I feel are sort of Wizards (or should be, except their primary weapons are too effective at mid-range). Recon are Rangers. Support are.... dunno. I'm buggered if I can think of a reasonable archetype that fits their resupply / suppressing fire role.

OldJadedGamer said:
The Killcam is fine... what is your problem with it?

On non-hardcore i want to see the actual stand off, something like the 5 seconds before your death. What is the point of showing your opponent just sit there or just running around after they killed you, its not like this game has viewable customization of your character other than the basic skins you unlock.

Battle recorder cant come soon enough.

Toodles said:
Oh, and on the topic of nothing in particular, I'm struggling to figure out what the warriors&wizards-esque fantasy game equivalent of the Support class is. Assault is a Cleric I suppose. Engineers I feel are sort of Wizards (or should be, except their primary weapons are too effective at mid-range). Recon are Rangers. Support are.... dunno. I'm buggered if I can think of a reasonable archetype that fits their resupply / suppressing fire role.

Nerd alert

zephervack said:
On non-hardcore i want to see the actual stand off, something like the 5 seconds before your death. What is the point of showing your opponent just sit there or just running around after they killed you, its not like this game has viewable customization of your character other than the basic skins you unlock.

Battle recorder cant come soon enough.

It's meant to show off where he is to try and reduce camping if hes going to just stay in one spot and not move after killing a person. That is the point of killcams. You want an instant replay that you get with COD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom