• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
birdcity said:
Bad Company 2 had assaults spamming infinite grenades and rocket grenades.

I don't get why people are so butthurt because they get killed a couple of times by one gun, guy, class, etc. and go pissing and crying on forums to have it nerfed. Developers listening to gamers' feedback via messageboards is the worst development of the modern gaming age. Vocal minority always wins because they won't shut the fuck up and learn how to play the game. If recons can't get the job done by staying miles away from the battle and trying to snipe people, tough shit. They don't need mortars. Pick up your rifle and move into the strike zone and get some kills

It has nothing to do with 'butthurt'(lol) or 'you're doing it wrong'. BC2 assault was a broken class because of its infinite grenade/C4 shitting. And with the mcom's taking damage, I used it.

The problem there (as I believe it currently is with C4 support in BF3)is it defeats the notion of teamwork because it makes 1 class completely autonomous and self sufficient. It also makes the recon and assault classes pretty useless on vehicle heavy maps. All too often I'm cappin'/defending a flag or an mcom as asault or recon and I'm met with a vehicle with no means of dispatching it.

Zeppelin

commish said:
Hmm, how about a slight delay as your eyes adjust to the IRNV? Part of the power of the IRNV now is that I can pop it up for a split second to scan an area before I assault it.

Great idea! :)

Deadly

TheSeks said:
Except they already did: It's called the M320 grenade launcher. I have damaged and killed the tanks with the grenade launcher before. You need a support to provide ammo, but it's completely possible to kill tanks with 3 of the 4 classes and one of them is by design NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR TANKS.
How much damage does the grenade launcher do? I think in BC2 it only did like 10 damage each time? It was some pretty measly damage...

owlbeak

ii Stryker said:
All too often I'm cappin'/defending a flag or an mcom as asault or recon and I'm met with a vehicle with no means of dispatching it.
Maybe it's just me but that's the point. Not every class should be able to deal with everything, that's why it's a class-based game. Battlefield games are not for lone wolves. They require lots of teamwork and competent friends.

Cobra84

BattleMonkey said:
*shakes head*
He's right. I preferred BC2's classses after the M60 nerf. Assault for the best guns, engineer for the rockets and repair tool, medic for support and healing, and recon with an all kit weapon for a special forces class.

Everyone of those roles is consolidated in to the engineer and support classes or removed. Medic isn't very helpful with the higher damage and the close range meat grinder maps.

SUPARSTARX

Nerf. Saw two guys shoot the little johnny 5 looking robot thing and the other guy just repairs it. Racked up 50k in a game. wth!

TheContact

IRNV is definitely a game changer. On a side note, what MGs do you guys like the best? I have 900 kills with the type88 but I'm thinking of switching it up, maybe the m240?

TheSeks said:
Except they already did: It's called the M320 grenade launcher. I have damaged and killed the tanks with the grenade launcher before. You need a support to provide ammo, but it's completely possible to kill tanks with 3 of the 4 classes and one of them is by design NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR TANKS.

Faceless: Not sure if trolling...
*remembers BC1 when Recon had the laser guided bomb*

def sim

Deadly said:
How much damage does the grenade launcher do? I think in BC2 it only did like 10 damage each time?

My squad tank was killed by 3 shots. I don't remember if we were already damaged or not.

SUPARSTARX said:
Nerf. Saw two guys shoot the little johnny 5 looking robot thing and the other guy just repairs it. Racked up 50k in a game. wth!

I hear you can flip a tank over and repair it infinitely. That's according to my two friends who jumped 15 levels in one night.

owlbeak

carfo said:
IRNV is definitely a game changer. On a side note, what MGs do you guys like the best? I have 900 kills with the type88 but I'm thinking of switching it up, maybe the m240?
M240B is a powerhouse once you get the foregrip. 7.62 rounds, large clip, and manageable recoil. It's my gun of choice. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MustacheBandit_ said:
i keep seeing a lot of you complain in here about flashlights but they seem to be a rather small annoyance in my eyes and only when its my teammate flashing it at me. for enemies it gives me a pretty clear target to shoot at. If you toned them down it would defeat their point. Or do you mean tone it down when used in outdoor light conditions? I could support that idea.

So... you completely spray and pray even against non-flash enemies then? Because that's what you have to do against flashlights. BLAM! HUGE WHITE CIRCLE IN YOUR FACE AND YOU DUNNO WHERE THE FUCK THE ENEMY IS! SHIT SPRAY SPRAY SPRAY--OH WAIT YOU DIED!

Or to put it in another perspective: As soon as you turn that flashlight on the enemy stops shooting, why? Because they have to guesstimate where the fuck you are and 10/10 of the time they LOSE that guess while you have complete and utter fucking non-blinding view because you're the one holding the flashlight.

It's completely broken and nothing of value is gained packing the flashlight. Same with the IRNV. I can carry both of those and troll the enemy team with BOTH because 1) the INRV shows EVERYONE in bright light and dark situations with no CON (besides scoped in view, but WTF are you doing using a scope in close range unless assaulting long-range hallways like the marketplace?) 2) Flashlight blinds enemies to the point where they stop shooting/unbalances the CQC situation to your favor with no chance of retaliation of the enemy unless they spray an area and even then they'll fail. Unless using IRNV in which case they get sort-of blinded but they know where you are.

They need to tone blinding effect down in non-dark areas and even then they need to let you have some sort of indication you're hitting some dude besides the hit marker. If I'm shooting in the middle/sort-of-to-the-right-of-the-middle of the flashlight halo I want to be DAMN SURE I'm hitting the motherfucker that is blinding me. None of this guesswork shit.

Deadly said:
How much damage does the grenade launcher do? I think in BC2 it only did like 10 damage each time?

Enough to where 4-6 grenades killed a tank last I checked.

ii Stryker said:
Having a class thats allowed to supply themselves with infinite C4 is not balance.

All of our debating is a waste because this is exactly whats going to happen
what are you going to do with this infinite supply of C4 that can have 6 active at a time?

it was terrible in BC2 because you could destroy objectives in Rush. and of course, you could throw it a lot further than 3ft.

def sim

I'm using the m60 because it looks the best. Use the other guns if you want efficiency, but the m60 totally makes you look fierce. I'm like those lizards that puff themselves up to look tougher.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
what are you going to do with this infinite supply of C4 that can have 6 active at a time?

it was terrible in BC2 because you could destroy objectives in Rush. and of course, you could throw it a lot further than 3ft.

Correct. C4's been nerfed to the point of useless unless bum-rushing tanks now.

Also he's whining about playing medic and having to *gasp* run away from a point and objective to wait for an engineer to take it out!

Excuse me, but: Battlefield is a class-based game. You want to "do everything" go by Ramirez of Duty: Do Everything Warfare 3 and make a broken class there. 'Kay? 'kay.

Raide

Recon should get something that actually fits in with the Recon style.

Apart from the tracer dart I mentioned, maybe they could have the Auto-Spotter scope as a perk across all Sniper Rifles? Or maybe letting them spot players with a shorter cooldown, so they can do it more.

Raide said:
Recon should get something that actually fits in with the Recon style.

Apart from the tracer dart I mentioned, maybe they could have the Auto-Spotter scope as a perk across all Sniper Rifles? Or maybe letting them spot players with a shorter cooldown, so they can do it more.
tracer dart? they have an infinite SOFLAM!

mxgt said:
I just mean tone down the effect when outside at least. It's way too bright

I agree, but I suspect that's harder to program for than one would think.

I don't know, tac lights still don't bother me that much. They're a neat annoyance while fighting indoors.

ElyrionX

birdcity said:
There are two types of recon players, snipers and assault recons. Assault recons don't get their asses handed to them. They equip a decent all-class gun (UMP, PDW, etc) and move into the capture areas, drop radio beacons, MAVs, and do their killing too. Sure, if a tank comes by, you're fucked. Run and HIDE until your teammates take care of it. I played almost 300 hours in Bad Company 2 and as a medic, I got used to running and hiding at the site/sound of any armor. It's not hard. Spot that tank and someone will generally engage it and take care of it.

Battlefield games are all about adapting to the ongoing combat situation. If you're running CQC as a recon with a sniper rifle drawn and not your pistol or another primary gun, I don't feel bad if you get your shit pushed in, it's your fault.

You can't be an assault recon and use the MAV, the most useful gadget in the whole game. TUGS is virtually useless and spawn beacons can be very specific in its uses since it requires it to be planted indoors to work well. Also, the fact that spawn beacons can only be used by squad members renders it almost worthless in most pub games since you can just spawn directly on the recon.

You're right. Battlefield games are about adapting to the situation. But if I'm on some hill and seeing that my presence on the front lines would be helpful, I'm going to need to die first in order to switch to one of those weapons you're talking about. And if I'm dead and see the need for CQC, why would I even want to spawn as a recon with those universal weapons in the first place? The recon's gadgets as I discussed above don't work well in CQC and I might as well just take an engineer or assault who have good versatile primary weapons (instead of SMGs and shotguns which have limited range) and better gadgets for front-line support.

TheSeks said:
Correct. C4's been nerfed to the point of useless unless bum-rushing tanks now.

Also he's whining about playing medic and having to *gasp* run away from a point and objective to wait for an engineer to take it out!

Not whining. If you'd look at my stats I play primarily as an engineer because the other classes by comparison are shit against vehicles. Most of my points come from destroying vehicles not shooting ppl

Excuse me, but: Battlefield is a class-based game. You want to "do everything" go by Ramirez of Duty: Do Everything Warfare 3 and make a broken class there. 'Kay? 'kay.

eeeewww yucky
ickyface.jpg

Desaan

On the subject of recon, does anyone have weird control issues with MAV on certain maps? As an example - on Bazaar I can just pump the throttle and will auto fall if I don't keep the power on, whereas on Operation Firestorm once I hit the power it stays at altitude and here's the weird part, no matter what I bind power down to the bloody thing will not come down unless I relinquish control. If I pick up the controller it works fine, but not using the keyboard? hmmmm (I assume it is chopper controls that it uses).

I really hate the decision to make some of the SP achievements require to restart the entire fucking mission if you fail. What a stupid fucking design decision.

Getting MW3 tomorrow. Will play some MW3 mp and decide whether I jump ship or stay with BF3. I realize they are two completely different games, but I really only have time for 1.

The Faceless Master said:
until you run out of ammo... INFINITE SOFLAM!
Then you just spam Q next to a support and shoot him in the face until he listens.

You can probably get more points with the tracer dart then you can with a SOFLAM between deaths anyway.

Raide

Metalmurphy said:
Then you just spam Q next to a support and shoot him in the face until he listens.

You can probably get more points with the tracer dart then you can with a SOFLAM between deaths anyway.

It would give Recon something else to do on the battlefield (hoho!).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Random question: can you pick up the kits of your downed enemies? Sometimes (often) I run out of ammo, and while my trusty sidearm is not too bad an option, I need more firepower. Hoping for a support class to drop some ammo is futile.

ElyrionX

The_Inquisitor said:
I really hate the decision to make some of the SP achievements require to restart the entire fucking mission if you fail. What a stupid fucking design decision.

Getting MW3 tomorrow. Will play some MW3 mp and decide whether I jump ship or stay with BF3. I realize they are two completely different games, but I really only have time for 1.

I played MW1 and MW2 and just watched a video of MW3 briefly. After BF3, the tiny maps in COD just don't work for me anymore. In fact, I never realized just how small they are.

MrBig

PoweredBySoy said:
I agree, but I suspect that's harder to program for than one would think.
They could use the same portals they use ambient effects.
I haven't played with the Frostbite engine before, but it is very easy in theory.

Desaan said:
On the subject of recon, does anyone have weird control issues with MAV on certain maps? As an example - on Bazaar I can just pump the throttle and will auto fall if I don't keep the power on, whereas on Operation Firestorm once I hit the power it stays at altitude and here's the weird part, no matter what I bind power down to the bloody thing will not come down unless I relinquish control. If I pick up the controller it works fine, but not using the keyboard? hmmmm (I assume it is chopper controls that it uses).

I was noticing this last night while I was playing around with the MAV - I couldn't get it to descend.

RotBot

Desaan said:
MAV down is bound to the hold-crouch button. If you use toggle-crouch, it won't work. Set up an alternate hold-crouch key for use with the MAV.

ElyrionX

PoweredBySoy said:
I was noticing this last night while I was playing around with the MAV - I couldn't get it to descend.

Press left ctrl to get it to descend, space bar to ascend. I don't think the controls are actually documented anywhere in the game.

owlbeak

ElyrionX said:
You can't be an assault recon and use the MAV, the most useful gadget in the whole game. TUGS is virtually useless and spawn beacons can be very specific in its uses since it requires it to be planted indoors to work well. Also, the fact that spawn beacons can only be used by squad members renders it almost worthless in most pub games since you can just spawn directly on the recon.

You're right. Battlefield games are about adapting to the situation. But if I'm on some hill and seeing that my presence on the front lines would be helpful, I'm going to need to die first in order to switch to one of those weapons you're talking about. And if I'm dead and see the need for CQC, why would I even want to spawn as a recon with those universal weapons in the first place? The recon's gadgets as I discussed above don't work well in CQC and I might as well just take an engineer or assault who have good versatile primary weapons (instead of SMGs and shotguns which have limited range) and better gadgets for front-line support.
Place the radio beacon near an objective, your team can spawn on it safely instead of you out in a field somewhere, or you getting the fuck shot out of you near an objective. It's about helping your team do what it needs to win.

Yeah, the recon class is weak in this game, but in all the other battlefield games until Bad Company 2, it was never really a super powerful class. It's a support class, moreso than the actual support class. If you're playing recon in this game you need to be scouting with your MAV and spotting enemies so your team can be aware of them, dropping TUGS (useless or not), and using your SOFLAM to lase targets for your team. A good recon player can turn the tide of the battle very quickly. They can also absolutely shut down enemy armor if you've got a javeling+soflam combo running.

I think everyone who played recon in BFBC2 is pissed because they could lone wolf in that game. This game is different and they don't like it.

Miggytronz

commish said:
Random question: can you pick up the kits of your downed enemies? Sometimes (often) I run out of ammo, and while my trusty sidearm is not too bad an option, I need more firepower. Hoping for a support class to drop some ammo is futile.
yes.

commish said:
yes you can. downed enemies or friends.

also, if you're not a recon and you pick up a recon kit and drop a spawn beacon, it stays there forever in most game modes. or until the bases move in Rush...

rar

RotBot said:
MAV down is bound to the hold-crouch button. If you use toggle-crouch, it won't work. Set up an alternate hold-crouch key for use with the MAV.

another example of how the key binding system in dice games is completely awful

ElyrionX said:
I played MW1 and MW2 and just watched a video of MW3 briefly. After BF3, the tiny maps in COD just don't work for me anymore. In fact, I never realized just how small they are.

It really is a big part of why I just get bored easily with COD/MW. A small section of a BF map may be an entire stage in COD.

Of course, there are a number of maps in BF3 with unutilized empty space, but that's another issue altogether. I think that's why I'm most excited for B2K.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I almost got sucked into getting MW3 and then I heard PC was P2P for ranked games :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
&Divius said:
Hardcore and 160 ping. I'll pass.

Deadly said:
1000 tickets. Hardcore. And maps in rotation are Metro, Seine, and Bazaar :lol It's going to be one looong rocket fest

Ping is 23ms for me.

Ugh, I didn't notice the map rotation. I think I'm going to pass too. I just wanted to play a long 1000 ticket match to try and rack up some points for my assault class. Anyone know of any good high ticket servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom