• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcellere

I'll start by saying this: I'm not good at this game.

I've sunk about 7 and a half hours into this game, and I've only hit level 10.

I'm really trying to like this game, but I haven't been able to shake the thought that this is one of the least fun games I have played all year.

BF is one of those games that if you're not good at it and you're getting mauled by the other team, it's a whole lot of not fun. BF has its own "flow" like a lot of games, a flow you get used to and learn over time. BF's flow is the interaction between vehicles, infantry, teammates, and unique weaponry. Once you've been around it enough, it becomes second nature.

Don't get discouraged at first. It's an extremely rewarding experience when you get the rhythm down to a science. As someone else said, find someone who you can play with regularly and preferably with a headset. Teamwork and communication are vital to enjoying yourself in BF.

Zareth

I'll start by saying this: I'm not good at this game.

I've sunk about 7 and a half hours into this game, and I've only hit level 10.

I'm really trying to like this game, but I haven't been able to shake the thought that this is one of the least fun games I have played all year.

Try playing on a 32 person infantry only conquest servers to condence the action down a bit.

Think hes using the fully auto M16A3 there, you unlock it at 220k assault score.

Oop, my mistake. They're pretty similar, though I think the M16A3 has better hip fire. You actually unlock the 3 round burst M16A4 at 220k, the A3 is the default Assault.

So again, default weapons are gravy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay:

-AT Mines can be spotted on PS3 now. They only last a bit (at least in the game I was in) before the spot disappears, like spotting infantry and vehicles. Unlike BC2 where they were spotted forever until destroyed. Not sure how I feel about this, but it's a reasonable thing.

-IRNV has been nerfed in a sense. There is this weird "fog" and a scope-in slight lag/adjust change. It's a weird feeling and it's enough to kinda put me off the scope. I'm not sure if it's clear like it was before in non-smokey and dark areas, but it should scare off some of the people that were abusing it.

TheSeks

Wow, they somehow have made the default stick acceleration EVEN FUCKING WORSE than it was before. How the fuck is that possible?

Ever since I changed from uni to home connection, I can barely make it through a full round of conquest. After beasting through the SCAR unlocks, I get disconnected and lose it all. Frustrating.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wow, they somehow have made the default stick acceleration EVEN FUCKING WORSE than it was before. How the fuck is that possible?

The analog controls are the primary reason I left the game. There are many of other factors, but controls top the list.

This game will never go back into my machine until:

1) Input lag is removed 2) we get sliders for acceleration and deadzone on the both the x and y axis.

I don't care what they do to the game... if these 2 things are not done I won't come back. And I will not buy their next game.

mr_nothin

Banned
No Eagles on the US server. I am disappoint in you, US GAF. :( Waste more time!
Fixed

Also, just checked my stats and WTF
The USAS is my #4 gun for most kills. I just started using it 3 days ago and I rarely even use it....just thought it'd be fun to troll for a little while.
Wow

So few Eagles on the US server. I am disappoint in you, US GAF. :( Waste more time!

It's pretty damn awesome. Especially since DICE keep on buffing it. :)
I was really looking forward to unlocking the.44. When I did, I used it for a while but wasn't to bothered about it and went back to the Supp. MP443. Once I unlocked the scoped version I didn't even look at it.

My buddy unlocked the .44 today and said he was lovin' it. I said I didn't care to much and he said I should give it another go. Since I hadn't tried the scoped version I bust it out, first few guys I came up against had me and again, I thought it was rubbish. By the end of that round I had hardly switched to my primary and had 90% of my kills with it. Over the next 4 hours or so I racked up 105.

Can't see myself using any other sidearm again.

Edit: 52% accuracy with it. Thing's a beast.

Zeppelin

I was really looking forward to unlocking the.44. When I did, I used it for a while but wasn't to bothered about it and went back to the Supp. MP443. Once I unlocked the scoped version I didn't even look at it.

My buddy unlocked the .44 today and said he was lovin' it. I said I didn't care to much and he said I should give it another go. Since I hadn't tried the scoped version I bust it out, first few guys I came up against had me and again, I thought it was rubbish. By the end of that round I had hardly switched to my primary and had 90% of my kills with it. Over the next 4 hours or so I racked up 105.

Can't see myself using any other sidearm again.

Edit: 52% accuracy with it. Thing's a beast.

Yeah, it's damn good. I got to 100 with the scoped before going back to get 100 with the regular (there is no dog tag for the scoped so it had to be done). Both are great to just finish people off with but of course the scoped is more versatile. And I think it's fairly balanced too, you need to make sure you hit things with it because the RoF and recoil on that thing is not very good. :)

Edit: On that note, it kind of surprises me that there's no Desert Eagle in the game...

Yeah, it's damn good. I got to 100 with the scoped before going back to get 100 with the regular (there is no dog tag for the scoped so it had to be done). Both are great to just finish people off with but of course the scoped is more versatile. And I think it's fairly balanced too, you need to make sure you hit things with it because the RoF and recoil on that thing is not very good. :)

Edit: On that note, it kind of surprises me that there's no Desert Eagle in the game...
I use mine to just take people on, 9 times out of 10 I'm winning too.

Was just saying to a friend how they need to get one in there. Who doesn't love a Desert Eagle?

TheSeks

U Suck Ass Skank needs a nerf or removed Frag Rounds, so bad. Third set was pure murder and one of my squad-mates (or me, forgetting in the chaos) arms B and we hold it with 0 Tickets to push to fourth set (and thereby I arm both sets and win the round), but getting there was a pain in the ass because LAV rounds (TROLLOLOLOL) were being thrown all over the damn stairs of Metro third set.

Also the LAV was kept up from round start to round taken. I'm sure I could've gotten a faster round timer score if I took out the two that took Dream out with their claymore on third set B. Oh well, still the fastest round I've had so far.

Deadly

U Suck Ass Skank needs a nerf or removed Frag Rounds, so bad. Third set was pure murder and one of my squad-mates (or me, forgetting in the chaos) arms B and we hold it with 0 Tickets to push to fourth set (and thereby I arm both sets and win the round), but getting there was a pain in the ass because LAV rounds (TROLLOLOLOL) were being thrown all over the damn stairs of Metro third set.

Also the LAV was kept up from round start to round taken. I'm sure I could've gotten a faster round timer score if I took out the two that took Dream out with their claymore on third set B. Oh well, still the fastest round I've had so far.
Already done. The patch for next week says frag rounds have "reduced effectiveness".

edit:

dear DICE persion that thought the "Drop 'Em Like Liquid" achievement was a good idea: WHAT THE FUCK!?

took like 30 tries with my brother, more than twice the tries than for all the others COMBINED!

TheSeks

dear DICE persion that thought the achievement was a good idea: WHAT THE FUCK!?

took like 30 tries with my brother, more than twice the tries than for all the others COMBINED!

Huh? You mean the co-op achievements? Welcome to my pain.

Wow half the enemy team on a metro server were using frags in the USAS and just raping everything in sight. Fuck that set up, at least its getting nerfed down, but still afraid it's going to just continue to further ruin the clusterfuck maps.

ziadoz

Neo Member
I really hate what they've done to Recon and sniper rifles in this game. All the sniper rifles I've got so far are weak as piss, and between the stupid sway effect and bullet drop I'll probably never be able to rank them up. In BC2 they were perfect. No sway and a predictable bullet drop that required a simple adjustment. In BF3 if I miss the bullets just disappear in mid air so I can't even figure out how to adjust. On top of the sway is just annoying and there's not even a meter that shows when the breathe in effect will end / renew. Did I mention all the gadgets suck too?bGive me motion balls, mortor strikes and C4 over this crap any day. End rant.

I really hate what they've done to Recon and sniper rifles in this game. All the sniper rifles I've got so far are weak as piss, and between the stupid sway effect and bullet drop I'll probably never be able to rank them up. In BC2 they were perfect. No sway and a predictable bullet drop that required a simple adjustment. In BF3 if I miss the bullets just disappear in mid air so I can't even figure out how to adjust. On top of the sway is just annoying and there's not even a meter that shows when the breathe in effect will end / renew. Did I mention all the gadgets suck too?bGive me motion balls, mortor strikes and C4 over this crap any day. End rant.

How about you be a man and get into the battle instead of being a sniper bitch.

ziadoz

Neo Member
How about you be a man and get into the battle instead of being a sniper bitch.

I primarily play Engineer and Support, but whatever. Your smart arse comment aside, snipers have a role in this game, or they did until DICE screwed up the Recon and sniper rifles.

I primarily play Engineer and Support, but whatever. Your smart arse comment aside, snipers have a role in this game, or they did until DICE screwed up the Recon and sniper rifles.

As long as your actually in the fight, that's all that matters. I will agree that snipers have a role in the game but they are also an extreme annoyance. The reason that most of the stuff was done was to make snipers more balanced into the game. It is not fun at all to play against a team of straight snipers. Especially if its rush and its the attacking team. It happens way too often. the game doesn't move, and its incredibly boring when nothing is happening in the game.

Huh? You mean the co-op achievements? Welcome to my pain.

Drop 'Em Like Liquid was soooo fucking ridiculous to get. all of the others combined were a cakewalk in comparison.

anyway, we got 'em all, did all the missions on hard and then did that blow up the bomb trick to get to 441k.

goodbye co-op on 360.

As long as your actually in the fight, that's all that matters. I will agree that snipers have a role in the game but they are also an extreme annoyance. The reason that most of the stuff was done was to make snipers more balanced into the game. It is not fun at all to play against a team of straight snipers. Especially if its rush and its the attacking team. It happens way too often. the game doesn't move, and its incredibly boring when nothing is happening in the game.

DICE balance. if it's popular, NERF IT!!!

when you came up against a team of recons in BC2, you knew it was gonna be an easy win, but people still kept picking recon and made it popular... so it got nerfed anyway.

ziadoz

Neo Member

The problem is Recon is crap now. In BC2 I enjoyed playing Recon and it had a purpose. I could play mid range and up close with the SVU + 4x scope and carry some C4 to take out enemy buildings. Now I basically have to sit back with scope wobble and gadgets that get no bonus points. The only way I can play Recon now is with the UMP up close, which means I may as well play Assault.

I'm sure some people hate snipers, but tough shit. I've spent my fair share of time getting sniped but I don't whine about it. In BC2 I just sniped back then progressed, and with mortars in BF3 snipers are basically sitting ducks, so it's even less of a problem. I just don't get why they nerfed the class into oblivion. Might as well have removed it all together instead. It's not even my go to class, but I don't even touch it now it sucks so hard.

Drop 'Em Like Liquid was soooo fucking ridiculous to get. all of the others combined were a cakewalk in comparison.

Once you actually figure out what to do, it's not that hard. The only real challenging part is when the team you are covering gets pinned down by the sniper and you have to take out everyone that is moving. It just takes some coordination. Once me and my co-op partner figured out how to do it, it only took us 2 tries.

Once you actually figure out what to do, it's not that hard. The only real challenging part is when the team you are covering gets pinned down by the sniper and you have to take out everyone that is moving. It just takes some coordination. Once me and my co-op partner figured out how to do it, it only took us 2 tries.

oh, we knew what to do at 10 tries in, it just took 20 more tries to do it. most of the failures on the very part you mentioned. some of those enemies in the groups of 3 just refused to die. multiple times. every other mission achievement was a cakewalk, 1-2 tries except for the security cameras one that took maybe 5 tries.

The problem is Recon is crap now. In BC2 I enjoyed playing Recon and it had a purpose. I could play mid range and up close with the SVU + 4x scope and carry some C4 to take out enemy buildings. Now I basically have to sit back with scope wobble and gadgets that get no bonus points. The only way I can play Recon now is with the UMP up close, which means I may as well play Assault.

I'm sure some people hate snipers, but tough shit. I've spent my fair share of time getting sniped but I don't whine about it. In BC2 I just sniped back then progressed, and with mortars in BF3 snipers are basically sitting ducks, so it's even less of a problem. I just don't get why they nerfed the class into oblivion. Might as well have removed it all together instead. It's not even my go to class, but I don't even touch it now it sucks so hard.

It just takes a lot more precision and skill. Once you get use to it (and unlock some stuff,) its not hard to do. Also, you have prone which makes it extremely easy to hide. There needs to be something to counter that.

ziadoz

Neo Member
It just takes a lot more precision and skill. Once you get use to it (and unlock some stuff,) its not hard to do. Also, you have prone which makes it extremely easy to hide. There needs to be something to counter that.

Unlocking stuff is tricky though. Despite the Recons purpose being spotting, you get no real bonuses for doing it. The only way I've unlocked what I have so far is through TDM and Conquest with the UMP. If I have to unlock by playing a totally opposite style something is wrong. I'm hoping DICE see the light and give more points for spotting with gadgets and maybe give the Recon access to C4

I concede that I probably just suck with the sniper rifles and need more some practice (and the PS3 input lag fixing), but really the class is really worthless to me as is.

oh, we knew what to do at 10 tries in, it just took 20 more tries to do it. most of the failures on the very part you mentioned. some of those enemies in the groups of 3 just refused to die. multiple times. every other mission achievement was a cakewalk, 1-2 tries except for the security cameras one that took maybe 5 tries.
It's all about the headshots, if you were going for body shots than that was the problem right there. And with a few of the groups of three's, you can take out 2 people with one shot if angled right.
Unlocking stuff is tricky though. Despite the Recons purpose being spotting, you get no real bonuses for doing it. The only way I've unlocked why I have so far is through TDM and Cnquest with the UMP. If I have to unlock by playing a totally opposite style something is wrong. I'm hope DICE see the light and give more points for spotting with gadgets and maybe give the Recon access to C4.

I concede that I probably suck with the sniper rifles and need more practice (and the PS3 input lag fixing), but really the class is really worthless to me as is.

I am talking more about attachments than new weapons. Once you get the bi-pod and the straight pull bolt, then you don't need anything else. Also, the recon class does have the almighty spawn beacon which is the most helpful (and cheap) thing in the game. They aren't totally useless. They also have the MAV which when used properly is incredibly overpowered (no I am not talking about killing people with it.) They see everything and alerts your team of enemy positions; also are almost impossible to take out.

It's all about the headshots, if you were going for body shots than that was the problem right there. And with a few of the groups of three's, you can take out 2 people with one shot if angled right.

oh no, we were going for headshots, it's just that last group of 3 sets of 3 walking dudes then the sniper... something always went wrong there with them not dying or not dying fast enough or no hit registration or the game freezing or just other bullshit. awful, awful mission. i dread doing it all again on PS3.

Recon was the last class I jumped on and I was adamant I wouldn't enjoy it. How wrong I was, I don't sit back and snipe from miles away because it's not for me. I roll with the MK11 and SVD with ACOG x4 and PSO-1 x4 respectively, also with foregrips. Any side arm, but as of yesterday the scoped .44 Magnum. Also, as far as I know, the x4 scopes don't have glint so you're not as easily spotted by the enemy.

For me, those weapons, moreso than the bolt action rifles allow you to play closer to the action than you normally would be with recon. You can be deadly accurate from a bit further out than most infantry but can get in to the fray and hold your own if need be. Again, for myself, this has made for me not getting as many kills as I would, albeit I still do well and get plenty. But I generally come out with very few deaths.

The gadgets are okay, I don't love the spotter but it serves a purpose and is good for when you and your squad are holding up somewhere and need to know if anybody is sneaking up on you. Stops those sneaky knife kills. Spawn beacon is really handy for getting in behind the other team.

I would love to use the M39 EMR but really can't be assed to go through the co-op too many times.

Cobra84

I would love to use the M39 EMR but really can't be assed to go through the co-op too many times.
It is exactly the same as the MK11 except that the MK11 reloads full second faster and the M39's shots are 20 meters/second faster (570m/s vs 500m/s)

After the G3 nerf, none of the coop weapons are worth a damn.

Zeppelin

I finally got the last jet unlock. I still don't like flying them but I'm getting more efficient. The extinguisher is pretty lulz since most players stop chasing you once they've gotten the disable. Just keep on flying like a retard for a while and then use it to return to life. I tried to beam scanning for a while but didn't notice any difference. Do I have to press something to use it?

Game doesn't like me this morning... I keep getting kicked.

And after the third try on the same server I get banned

Game disconnected: you were kicked from the game.

Game disconnected: you were kicked by PunkBuster. Stated reason: PunkBuster kicked player 'Metalmurphy' (for 3 minutes) ... Prior Kick/Ban

Divius

I Love using the MAV on Caspian Border so much. Points keep rolling in, I earned my 4th surveillance medal. I keep spamming the chat with intel and when people use it we have a big advantage and I get even more points.

I also discovered my love for the AEK-971. Went 33-8 in Damavand Conquest. Love flanking those narrow corridors and wiping out 7-8 people.

Medals, servicestars and a shitload of points = I ranked up twice today.

Gonna work on engineer now; barely unlocked anything for that class.

Yaska

I Love using the MAV on Caspian Border so much. Points keep rolling in, I earned my 4th surveillance medal. I keep spamming the chat with intel and when people use it we have a big advantage and I get even more points.

I also discovered my love for the AEK-971. Went 33-8 in Damavand Conquest. Love flanking those narrow corridors and wiping out 7-8 people.

Medals, servicestars and a shitload of points = I ranked up twice today.

Gonna work on engineer now; barely unlocked anything for that class.

you have any servers you can recommend? GAF europe server seems ot be completely dead these days :(

Divius

you have any servers you can recommend? GAF europe server seems ot be completely dead these days :(
The Facepunch EU server is usually pretty crowded, and with 'decent' players. Low ping and it has a map rotation I like.

For the lulz you could try this Webhallen Grand Bazaar server. 64 players. 1000 tickets. Complete madness.

Would be great if we could get the EUGAF server going, but like you said, it's always empty. ):

Do some servers only let you spot a couple people with the MAV or something? 75% of the time it seems like I can spot a handful of people and then no more for a minute or two.

Yaska

The Facepunch EU server is usually pretty crowded, and with 'decent' players. Low ping and it has a map rotation I like.

For the lulz you could try this Webhallen Grand Bazaar server. 64 players. 1000 tickets. Complete madness.

Would be great if we could get the EUGAF server going, but like you said, it's always empty. ):
Yah, been sitting on it for 25 mins already :(. Have too empty friendslist so can't spam people to join hehe.

scogoth

Do some servers only let you spot a couple people with the MAV or something? 75% of the time it seems like I can spot a handful of people and then no more for a minute or two.

You can't spam spot with the MAV, if you spot enough it won't let you spot anymore for a short cool down period. You'll till reveal them on the mini map with the motion sensor.

What the fuck DICE!!! I can't play this game anymore! I keep getting kicked after 1 minute. Now I'm getting this msg:

Game disconnected: you were kicked by PunkBuster. Stated reason: PunkBuster kicked player 'Metalmurphy' (for 2 minutes) ... Violation (IGNORING QUERIES) #9006

I already tried manually updating punkbuster, nothing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom