• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Oh hey I got to play two rounds! But then the map changed and the game crashed as usual after the update. Throw in random EA and Punkbuster disconnects and you know how my BF3 experience is at the moment.

Back to Tribes...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Had a completely epic 30,000 point round.

Didn't register to my character.

I don't play for stats but depressing!

I really hate what they've done to Recon and sniper rifles in this game. All the sniper rifles I've got so far are weak as piss, and between the stupid sway effect and bullet drop I'll probably never be able to rank them up. In BC2 they were perfect. No sway and a predictable bullet drop that required a simple adjustment. In BF3 if I miss the bullets just disappear in mid air so I can't even figure out how to adjust. On top of the sway is just annoying and there's not even a meter that shows when the breathe in effect will end / renew. Did I mention all the gadgets suck too?bGive me motion balls, mortor strikes and C4 over this crap any day. End rant.

I agree-the sniping in BC2 was a perfect science. Why didn't they just keep it the same?

Zeppelin

I Love using the MAV on Caspian Border so much. Points keep rolling in, I earned my 4th surveillance medal. I keep spamming the chat with intel and when people use it we have a big advantage and I get even more points.

It's awesome on Caspian. I got 13 surveillance ribbons in one game on that map a couple of hours ago (more tickets than default tho). And then my team wasn't even that good. :p

Me and Yaska just had a pretty awesome moment on the Euro GAF server. I roll the IFV up onto C (Market) and kill him while he's trying to RPG me. A couple of seconds later he gets me with the knife while I'm trying to repair the IFV and steals it! So I respawn with AT mines down at E (Highway) and watch him slowly roll over them and blow up. God I love this game sometimes.

Yaska

It's awesome on Caspian. I got 13 surveillance ribbons in one game on that map a couple of hours ago (more tickets than default tho). And then my team wasn't even that good. :p

Me and Yaska just had a pretty awesome moment on the Euro GAF server. I roll the IFV up onto C (Market) and kill him while he's trying to RPG me. A couple of seconds later he gets me with the knife while I'm trying to repair the IFV and steals it! So I respawn with AT mines down at E (Highway) and watch him slowly roll over them and blow up. God I love this game sometimes.

I was testing my new thermal vision T_T I didn't notice the mines >.<

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Last whiny post I make in here.

Does anyone else have a really hard time just seeing people? I understand Battlefield's scale is pretty large, but in BC2 I could actually see what Im fighting. This game, not so much.

I feel like I'm fighting the games lighting more than I am the enemy team.

scogoth

Does anyone else have a really hard time just seeing people? I understand Battlefield's scale is pretty large, but in BC2 I could actually see what Im fighting. This game, not so much.

You get used to it eventually.

eek5

Yes it's hard as shit to see people which is why the IRNV was so OP. When I run without IRNV, I'm esentially checking areas, hitting spot, and shooting under triangles or stars rather than aiming at people.

I see people just fine. Only time I don't is if they're standing directly in front of a light source like the sun or something, which I certainly can't say has happened more than once or twice in all my time playing.

daedalius

Fighting with the sun glaring all over your supposed dirty visor is better I think.

I LOVE that. Being blind in a shooter, <3

Pennybags

You play the Xbox version, I bet. If so, then yeah you can't see shit, and the problem is 10x worse if you have a standard-def TV.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You play the Xbox version, I bet. If so, then yeah you can't see shit, and the problem is 10x worse if you have a standard-def TV.

Why is it worse? Just the way they have it set up on the consoles? Luckily I'm playing on an HD-TV.

Pennybags

Why is it worse? Just the way they have it set up on the consoles? Luckily I'm playing on an HD-TV.

I wouldn't be able to give you an answer on that.

While it is a huge "duh", it's just really frustrating for me going from perfect clarity on the PC on any settings to having to squint my eyes on the 360 version with a 42" TV. I begin to feel nauseous as well.

I can't even pinpoint the reason why, really.

Zeppelin

I wouldn't be able to give you an answer on that.

While it is a huge "duh", it's just really frustrating for me going from perfect clarity on the PC on any settings to having to squint my eyes on the 360 version with a 42" TV.

I can't even pinpoint the reason why, really.

Why are you playing the 360 version, Pennybags? WHY?! (&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

Rapstah

There's a European server labelled [GAF] that I just found in the browser... but it's just a German server with its own acronym that happens to be GAF. A shame, I thought we had gotten 64 people to play with a queue on top for once :(

Flying back to the spawn after taking some ground fire on Kharg Island. Jet gets behind me, strips off the last of my health and I just barely land with about 10% left. I repair but know he is coming back round for another pass. This strafing run still doesn't kill us, but leaves us at 8%. I repair again and know it's do or die. I manage to repair and get off the ground just as he comes in for his run. I lock missiles on him and preemptively dump my flares before he gets a lock to prevent what I am about to do to him happening to us. He gets both missiles full in the face at point blank range, and my screen is filled with a huge red fireball.

Yeehaw. Jester is dead.

Fantastic Update.

I've decided to have a break from BF3 until B2K comes out and I'm hammering on in Skyrim until then.

The updates that you just posted Bruiserk were put up about 3 pages back I think :p

Hellcrow

8 win streaks on a rush server. Good god, that was some awesome games. And fuck the tunguska. With a competent team around it: complete lockdown. Luckily we managed to easily break their flanks with lucky choices of helicopter landing.

Can anyone confirm that health in Hardcore is actually still 60%, but is now 100% of the normal 60%? Or is it just 100%? Which would be dumb!

Good News Everyone! Application went through faster than usual!

The GAF BF3 Community Server is now certified to Stream to PBBans, which is a community driven amalgam of different community banlists derived from screenshots and proof of hackers in all Punkbuster enable games, which is separate from Evenbalance and their public/popular Punkbuster Ban-List.

a

What does this mean for you? Short Version: No Hackers
Long Version: You won't be seeing any hackers (past or present) who have been caught by the wide net of the Internal PBBans Bans-Lists and multiple External Ban-Lists. All at no cost to server performance.

With that said, come join us on the PC-BF3 Server available to you guys! We try just about every night to populate them but we can only do so much without the rest of you!

Current list of PC-GAF BF3 Servers (Linked to battlelog):

Sethos

Banned
Tonight I managed to trash my keyboard over this game, I've never been this close to the edge before - My god this game is so infuriatingly bad.

Sethos

Banned
Again--why are you not playing with GAF?

Because it changes fuck all about the millions of flaws in this game. This game just doesn't work as a competitive shooter because everything is broken as shit, constant little niggles, stupid fucking design decisions and especially the client side hit detection just destroys this game. If I want a proper teamplay experience with planes, helicoptersm infantry and large scale combat there are much better games.

At least I've finally uninstalled the game, then I can get rid of Origin.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So was there ever a decision made on if we were going to have a Rush server?

I've been playing BF3 for a little over 60 hours now and 58 of those hours are probably on Conquest. It would be cool to switch it up a bit with a GAF filled Rush server.

edit: Plus I'm sure GAF teamwork would steamroll the competition.

Makoto

Okay, I'll admit it, I was wrong about rocket pods. They're not shit. They're an alternative to guided rockets but that's all I'll give it. I like the fire-and-forget nature of guided rockets, but when I really want do some destruction to a vehicle in one pass, rocket pods are the way to go.

Because it changes fuck all about the millions of flaws in this game. This game just doesn't work as a competitive shooter because everything is broken as shit, constant little niggles, stupid fucking design decisions and especially the client side hit detection just destroys this game. If I want a proper teamplay experience with planes, helicoptersm infantry and large scale combat there are much better games.

And what game would this be pray tell?

Zeppelin

I've been trolling around with the MAV on Caspain for a couple of hours and have probably racked up 100 surveillance ribbons or so. But god damn some people are fucking retarded. Have some people never noticed the little map down in the left corner? Last game I more or less had the whole US team spotted for the whole round and my team still couldn't cap a single flag. A decent chopper crew would have racked up so many kills at gas station that it probably would have broken the server.

Would you rather not be able to hit a dude that's lagging than get the kill when you think you got the kill?

Please tell me about these other games.

mr_nothin

Banned
I've been trolling around with the MAV on Caspain for a couple of hours and have probably racked up 100 surveillance ribbons or so. But god damn some people are fucking retarded. Have some people never noticed the little map down in the left corner? Last game I more or less had the whole US team spotted for the whole round and my team still couldn't cap a single flag. A decent chopper crew would have racked up so many kills at gas station that it probably would have broken the server.

Would you rather not be able to hit a dude that's lagging than get the kill when you think you got the kill?

Personally I'd rather be able to not hit the dude that's lagging and for the game to show that he's lagging instead of trying to do this universal shit where it seems like everyone has the same ping and you cant tell the difference between a person with a 30ms and 300ms ping.

I want to be able to see the guy jerking around and lagging everywhere so everybody can call im out and get him kicked so he can go join a server where he doesnt lag. Then on top of that, we need to be able to see the ping in the scoreboard and allow server admins to set ping limits and if anyone goes over that limit then they get kicked for lagging. I dont want to see a guy who's movements are just like everyone else's but I cant tell that he's lagging and I'm left there wondering why I cant hit him for shit. Server-side has always been the way to go

Good News Everyone! Application went through faster than usual!

I'll only play on GAF servers regularly when there's a hardcore server.

Sethos

Banned

Server side has been used for years and it has worked well. You got the occasional lagger but that didn't give him an advantage, quite the opposite actually. You could see him lagging but they would never really get the upper hand on you. Plus laggers tend to leave because it effects them a lot more.

With this client detection crap, it's based on what the client reports to the server, means the shit where you can shot 1-2 seconds after you hit cover, the weird burst deaths and shit like that is commonplace and it's awful.

Yes, it may be nice for people on shitty connections or those who decide to play on servers far, far away but people on decent connections who play locally gets shafted, big-time.

Zeppelin

Personally I'd rather be able to not hit the dude that's lagging and for the game to show that he's lagging instead of trying to do this universal shit where it seems like everyone has the same ping and you cant tell the difference between a person with a 30ms and 300ms ping.

I want to be able to see the guy jerking around and lagging everywhere so everybody can call im out and get him kicked so he can go join a server where he doesnt lag. Then on top of that, we need to be able to see the ping in the scoreboard and allow server admins to set ping limits and if anyone goes over that limit then they get kicked for lagging. I dont want to see a guy who's movements are just like everyone else's but I cant tell that he's lagging and I'm left there wondering why I cant hit him for shit.

I don't know, I think it's pretty cool that you can play games decently with people across the Atlantic and that's pretty much impossible without tricks like this. But yeah, I guess it would be kind of cool if some of my favourite servers could set a 5-10 ms limit to keep some of the trash out.

Server side has been used for years and it has worked well. You got the occasional lagger but that didn't give him an advantage, quite the opposite actually. You could see him lagging but they would never really get the upper hand on you. Plus laggers tend to leave because it effects them a lot more.

With this client detection crap, it's based on what the client reports to the server, means the shit where you can shot 1-2 seconds after you hit cover, the weird burst deaths and shit like that is commonplace and it's awful.

Yes, it may be nice for people on shitty connections or those who decide to play on servers far, far away but people on decent connections who play locally gets shafted, big-time.

I'm glad I never get 1-2 second deaths after going into cover. At best I've gotten a quarter/half second death after getting behind cover on random occasion, but it's not something to cry about. My 13gb internet must be crap!

Whats most important is that I kill what I shoot at in this game, and not fill people full of lead and they don't fall because of lag bullshit I get in many other shooters. Quite satisfied with the performance and huge step up from the shit pile of netcode that was in BC2.

Please tell me about these other games.

Yeah, this is the problem. BF3 does so much so staggeringly badly wrong, but despite all this the core idea is so strong (huge semi realistic battles with shittons of modern vehicles!) it's still a blast. The only game comparable I can think of off hand is Arma, and I've personally always found that series too clumsy to really be fun.

ziadoz

Neo Member
I played an hour of BC2 on PS3 earlier and it just highlights how terrible the input lag in BF3. I'd almost forgotten because I've become used to it. I really hope DICE fix it soon, it's just embarrassing they haven't fixed it already tbh.

Question for PS3 players.

I'm relatively new to these kind of FPS war games and I'm having lots of problems with the controls. In summary, I suck beyond comprehension. Are there any recommendations when using the dual shock? Tweak certain settings or any other kind of tip?

I'm relatively new to these kind of FPS war games and I'm having lots of problems with the controls. In summary, I suck beyond comprehension. Are there any recommendations when using the dual shock? Tweak certain settings or any other kind of tip?
what kind of problems? moving around and shooting?

you just have to keep playing until you get used to it. try playing some single player and/or co-op instead of jumping into multiplayer.

Some people are getting really bad input lag in the PS3 version of BF3, so if you're suffering from that then you're not at fault in terms of the suckiness. But in terms of using a controller for FPS in general, it's just a matter of gradually getting used to it, there's no magic bullet unfortunately. It doesn't take too long though.

Soma

ever since the patch i've noticed two things:

1. I'm getting mutual kills for the first time (IE: I kill a guy and he kills me at the same time).

2. I try to spawn on a jet or some air vehicle, but if someone barely gets it before me I somehow spawn right on top of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom