• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
New chat window is great

chatpxyja.jpg

Is this for realz?

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
This is odd, nerf videos show people completely invisible at long range using IRNV in most situations with no heat signatures appearing on people. Is it different on PS3?
Probably. I just played a round on Firestorm (PC) and I had no problem with the range either.

I'll ask again: Is the flashlight nerfed?

This is silly, it should have SOME usage at least. From those videos it's either bugged or just completely pointless.

Well no, the whole thing was conceptually laughable. They put in a feature in the game that removes all the unnecessary clutter from your view giving you a gigantic advantage over non-users and somehow didn't anticipate it therefore being the de facto item needed to be competitive. To get around this they should have foreseen these problems and either included all the real life limitations of this gear (i.e. pretty much EVERYTHING in real life has a heat signature of some sort) and included those hazards into the maps. But they didn't, so all you got was lol cheatz mode. There's no way to "fix" it, all they can do is put their hands up and remove it as the stupid idea it clearly is, or make it unusable. We can see what direction they went.

In other news, I was playing Capsian on conquest just now and someone blew up the big tower. I don't know how they did this, but it seems they finally made good on one promise at last.

I also realise now that the chopper nerf is the line in the patch about "vehicle weapons not firing towards their predictive reticle". I'd imagine plane rockets are also much harder to use after this. I haven't got used to the new reticle yet, but if it's like the one on the scout helicopters' gunsight, it's beyond useless.

Tons of hidden changes:

So far I've come across a few changes that I am pretty sure were not in the changelog, post any you find here ^
'H' key now changes chat between the following options:
-Hidden (chat does not come up ever)
-Pop-up (old styled pop up when chat is active)
-On (always on)
Vehicle sensitivity slider is now in options
Icons/names now flash when using 'Q'
Disable threshold reduced to around 37hp for air vehicles [more info on ground vehicles needed]
Tower on Caspian now collapses near the end of rounds
Player pings now displayed on the scoreboard (your own is not)
No longer spawn at main when spawn selection is unavailable [needs confirmation]
New bugs:
Players now spawn on top of jet when selecting jet spawn that has been taken.
End of round scores show wrong Victory/Defeat message.
Animations (ladder/knife) are stuttery/jumpy when the network buffer is modified

Asking for a ride with Q over friendly vehicle now works.

If the PC patch includes the same things as the PS3 patch, then engineers repairing the helicopter they are riding in will now get repairs points. Also, T-UGS will grant 20 motion assist points (like the MAV does) in addition to 10 spot points per detected kill.

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/n2fyx/bf3_patch_hidden_changes_log/

Well no, the whole thing was conceptually laughable. They put in a feature in the game that removes all the unnecessary clutter from your view giving you a gigantic advantage over non-users and somehow didn't anticipate it therefore being the de facto item needed to be competitive. To get around this they should have foreseen these problems and either included all the real life limitations of this gear (i.e. pretty much EVERYTHING in real life has a heat signature of some sort) and included those hazards into the maps. But they didn't, so all you got was lol cheatz mode. There's no way to "fix" it, all they can do is put their hands up and remove it as the stupid idea it clearly is, or make it unusable. We can see what direction they went.

Again this just is repeating the thing that it was broke so "remove it". If we did this for everything people have said that for, half the game would be missing by now. That is a pretty knee jerk reaction.

Can it be fixed? Of course it can, don't see why people can't even attempt to entertain the idea. IRNV should be optional equipment with a use, it shouldn't be completely useless. On a night map or in dark areas it should work as intended, but in most of the game it shouldn't be useful. The point is, it should have some use and not be a complete waste of an unlock.

The real life counterpart has actual use and in itself has limitations that when implented in game would make it actually have a purpose, but no longer be hax attachment. No idea how a person can claim it can't be fix when all they have to do is make it work more like the real life scope.

Right now things seem a bit muddled on how exactly it works since we got PC and PS3 discrepencies on it's implementation.

daedalius

So is burst fire better for the simple fact that Full-auto was nerfed? Or did they actually make burst 'better'?

I usually roll with that M16 variant, or the M4a16, using burst. Usually it feels like a 2 round burst, which ones have a 3 round?

There is no real life counterpart to the IRNV.

There is infra-red, which is pretty close range in its application.

And there is night-vision, which is useless during the day.

The scope should have never been implemented.

There is no real life counterpart to the IRNV..

Yes there is, it's a new type of scope that is being tested. This game is supposed to be a near future "modern warfare" setting so you have things not yet in actual combat deployment. They did the same thing by putting guided shells on tanks which are also something in testing by the US/Nato but far from deployment, and also the F35 in B2K is not actually in combat use either.

The way IRNV was implented in game though was completely wrong. The point of adding IR to NV scopes/goggles is to help soldiers pick out bodies and also to help against friendly fire problems when using NV but it also only works at short distances.

They put it into the game for the SP/COOP so they tossed it into the MP when they probably shouldn't have unless we get more night maps. Make it useless in light sure, but if we get more night maps it will be a nice option to have.

daedalius

Yes there is, it's a new type of scope that is being tested. This game is supposed to be a near future "modern warfare" setting so you have things not yet in actual combat deployment. They did the same thing by putting guided shells on tanks which are also something in testing by the US/Nato but far from deployment, and also the F35 in B2K is not actually in combat use either.

The way IRNV was implented in game though was completely wrong. The point of adding IR to NV scopes/goggles is to help soldiers pick out bodies and also to help against friendly fire problems when using NV but it also only works at short distances.

They put it into the game for the SP/COOP so they tossed it into the MP when they probably shouldn't have unless we get more night maps. Make it useless in light sure, but if we get more night maps it will be a nice option to have.

Well you certainly won't get any argument from me there.

I imagine if they see 100% dropoff of people using the IRNV, they may adjust it again in the future. I guess I'd be ok with it being a night only scope, but anyone that doesn't have it is just going to be screwed then.

Agree 100%. The only thing though, is that it seems likely they either don't have any meaningful way to know when it is dark/light for the player to stop the scope working properly, or simply don't want to do that as it - again - makes the IRNV useless in some situations. It'd be great if it was only useful on night maps, but once again you're still getting the same problem as before where it gives people an unassailable advantage over those not using it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The videos of the IRNV nerf seem pretty drastic, yet anecdotal comments about it seem to suggest not much has changed?

Agree 100%. The only thing though, is that it seems likely they either don't have any meaningful way to know when it is dark/light for the player to stop the scope working properly, or simply don't want to do that as it - again - makes the IRNV useless in some situations. It'd be great if it was only useful on night maps, but once again you're still getting the same problem as before where it gives people an unassailable advantage over those not using it.

Yea perhaps, because it seems to be really wonky and inconsistent how it is working like it can't properly tell the difference between light and day at times. Prebaked lighting in areas could also be culprit instead of full real time lighting.

The videos of the IRNV nerf seem pretty drastic, yet anecdotal comments about it seem to suggest not much has changed?

Think it's also differences in PS3 and PC

Ok, so certain parts of the single player game for the PC have incredible amounts of screen tearing. It does appear to be indoors too and only at certain parts. Has anyone else experienced this? I tried lowering the settings and it still seems to occur. Just wanted to see if it was something with my new build

i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.4ghz
gtx 570 (cant get a stable OC in BF3)
8 gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

iam220

So happy about the IRNV nerf. Everything else is just a nice bonus. Back are the days where I actually have to scan my screen to find enemies ...

I've been playing this game every day and despite all the flaws I just have to say that this is the best fps in existence. No other fps gets my heart pumping the way this one does. It can be so intense sometimes.

can't wait to try out the patch tonight.

Detailed list of changes:

Before - After

Nerfed
Buffed

12g Frags ->
Min range 12 - 8
Max Range 50 - 40
Min damage 34 - 10
Max damage 60 - 20

Blast radius 0.5 - 1.5
Blast Damage 40 - 30
ShockwaveRadius 2.1 - 3.1

They added whole new weapon class, 12GFrag_pump

Almost all 'normal' weapons ->
Spread increase per shot 0.05 - 0.1 or 0.08 - 0.12

AN-94 ->
Upwards recoil 0.75 - 0.45
Left -0.2 - 0.2
Right 0.2 - 0.3

F2000 ->
Upwards recoil 0.2 - 0.3
Left 0.4 - 0.5
Right 0.3 - 0.4
Min spread Standing&ADS 0.4 - 0.5

M249 ->
TriggerPullWeight 0.2 - 0.3

M60 ->
TriggerPullWeight 0.4 - 0.35

All sniper rifles ->
TimeToLive 1.5 - 5.0

PP2000 ->
Spread increase per shot 0.05 - 0.06

UMP-45 ->
Suppression:
MinAngleModifier 1.0 - 1.5

MP7 ->
Upwards recoil 0.16 - 0.12
Left 0.5 - 0.45
Right 0.5 - 0.45
Min spread Standing&ADS 0.5 - 0.6

AS VAL ->
Spread increase per shot 0.08 - 0.1
IsSilenced False - True

PDW-R ->
Suppression:
MinAngleModifier 1.0 - 1.5

Taurus .44 ->
RoF 130 - 190
Upwards recoil 1.6 - 2.0
Min spread Hip&Standing 1.5 - 1.0

870MCS ->
TriggerPullWeight 0.9 - 0.75

Saiga 20K ->
TriggerPullWeight 0.9 - 0.65

M1014
TriggerPullWeight 0.9 - 0.75

USAS-12
TriggerPullWeight 0.9 - 0.70

Bullets --->

44Magnum ->
DamageFalloffStartDistance 10 - 12

How do you have trigger pull in a video game? Is it a fire delay effect or something? Or is it supposed to be the variable affecting how quick one can fire a weapon in semi auto mode with button clicks?

Spl1nter

The increased spread per shot simply means that holding down the trigger is not as effective as before. Spamming burst fire is the exact same. Places more emphasis on controlled, efficient and aimed bursts.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why is GB2/Karkand/ still not up for the US. Rabble rabble rabble. Fucking Grace Chen.

Pennybags

ASSIGNMENTS

Famas
10 Revives
10 Heals

HK53
10 Repairs
Kill 1 enemy with Repair torch

QBB-95
20 kills with LMGs
2 Mortar kills

QBU-88
20 kills with sniper rifles
5 laser designations

PP19
Arm 10 Mcoms
Capture 10 flags
Play 2 hours on Karkand

L85A2
100 Kills with Assault Rifles
20 kills with underslung grenade launcher
Win 5 rounds of SQDM

QBZ-95B
50 AT Rocket Kills
Destroy 1 enemy vehicle with Repair torch
Win 5 rounds of conquest

MG36
100 Kills with LMGs
50 Suppression assists
50 Ammo resupplies

L96

50 Headshots (note, this doesn't specify with sniper rifles)
50 Spot assists
5 Knife takedowns

Jackhammer
10 Kills with PP19
5 Kills in DPV Jeep
10 kills in BTR-90 IFV
2 hours on Sharqi
2 hours on Gulf of Oman
When this gets to PC we gots to do some squadding up to get the rounds of Squad Deathmatch over and done with.

Ok, so certain parts of the single player game for the PC have incredible amounts of screen tearing. It does appear to be indoors too and only at certain parts. Has anyone else experienced this? I tried lowering the settings and it still seems to occur. Just wanted to see if it was something with my new build

i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.4ghz
gtx 570 (cant get a stable OC in BF3)
8 gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

I have found the specific level that is screen tearing- Comrades and specifically inside the buildings. Is there anything different within that level that would point to my issue?

I didn't notice any of that longer pull up time or foggy effect when you use the IRNV like in those PS3 videos, you just can't see anything past short-medium range anymore. Time to go back to 3.4x!

The higher ceiling on Canals is really nice, and you can see so much farther now, figured they'd have to relax that fog a bit if you can fly higher. Unfortunately, the map is still just pretty small, especially when compared to the good ol 2 jet maps.

That Reddit post updated:

So far I've come across a few changes that I am pretty sure were not in the changelog, post any you find here ^
'H' key now changes chat between the following options:
-Hidden (chat does not come up ever)
-Pop-up (old styled pop up when chat is active)
-On (always on)
Vehicle sensitivity slider is now in options
Joystick sensitivity slider added
Separate inverted options for Infantry and Air added
'Tourettes medic' bug fixed
Icons/names now flash when using 'Q'
Disable threshold reduced to around 37hp for air vehicles [more info on ground vehicles needed]
Tower on Caspian now collapses near the end of rounds
Player pings now displayed on the scoreboard (your own is not)
No longer spawn at main when spawn selection is unavailable [needs confirmation]
TV guided on helicopters mostly fixed (just don't move the mouse when you fire)
TV guided turning speed lowered
CITV look movement tweaked

UI.DrawEnable now enables/disables UI
New bugs:
End of round scores show wrong Victory/Defeat message.
Animations (ladder/knife) are stuttery/jumpy when the network buffer is modified

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I don't get why people complain about campers when all you have to do is press Q in a general direction and everyone gets revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom