• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Menelaus

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Got this from i3D this morning:

Less than two weeks. Any new thoughts/opinions on server options?
Wait, so if we order a 64 player server, we get a 16 player freebie on top of that?

Menelaus said:
Wait, so if we order a 64 player server, we get a 16 player freebie on top of that?

Yup, and the free domain for the server's site. 16 player could just be a TDM or maybe a practice map?

I think we were down to i3D or multiplay servers? I never got to test either--making a reminder for myself to try some BC2 servers out tonight!

Menelaus

Banned
the 16 would be fun just as a fuck around/stunt jumps/special event type thing, if nothing else.

i've never had any major complaints with their BC2 servers.

So I'm working on organizing the blog and maintaining the OP of this site. Obviously, all of the donation stuff should stay on the blog, and keeping the server info there would be easy, too.

For the list of friends, would people mind me maintaining that on the blog, or should it be in the OP of this thread? Just want to make sure it will be somewhere that people will access.

I donated $5 to the cause, and I'd like to update my information as well:

Shaundakahl | DakkSpore | NA - Central

can't wait to hear the lamentations of the neogaffers.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:

Those bastards...they didn't have a 3 month minimum before. I'm reluctant to commit to three months of a host, when we don't know how good they'll be. I'd be much more comfortable going for one month at a time.

If we do one month of multiplay, and their servers are terrible, we could go over to any other host we choose. If we order three months of i3d and they are terrible, we're stuck.

They were good during the alpha though so...mmm... I hope the beta comes before their pre-order deadline.

For what it's worth, I think they all offer free domain hosting. The free 16 man server is the perk we should be researching. Specifically, if that server remains free for as long as the 64 man server is up, or if it's only a month one perk.

So I found a site that reviews/discusses server hosts and looked up i3D and honestly, it's a mix. Seems like back in 2009/2010, they had horrible support. Unanswered questions, weird payment issues, etc. However, I guess an i3D guy (username is interactive3d, premium member) posts there and stated that they have better 7 day a week support now and there were a number of favorable reviews, to counter the bad ones. It SEEMS like they had issues in the past but are improved. Some threads:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=897848&highlight=i3d
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1030026&highlight=i3d
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=994685

abuC

Menelaus said:
can someone explain what air superiority mode was?
I'm gonna guess just jets and maybe helicopters only fighting for the control of airspace over a section of map. Whoever keeps their planes in that space the longest wins, that's how the air mode in BF1943 worked (console).

scogoth

Mr. Snrub said:

Have we determined a server location? i3D is mostly Europe, not too good for the NA players.

Mr. Snrub said:
So I found a site that reviews/discusses server hosts and looked up i3D and honestly, it's a mix. Seems like back in 2009/2010, they had horrible support. Unanswered questions, weird payment issues, etc. However, I guess an i3D guy (username is interactive3d, premium member) posts there and stated that they have better 7 day a week support now and there were a number of favorable reviews, to counter the bad ones. It SEEMS like they had issues in the past but are improved. Some threads:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=897848&highlight=i3d
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1030026&highlight=i3d
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=994685
It does sound mixed.

Multiplay has always had a really good reputation as far as I can tell. I've never researched it, but they do a lot of servers and everyone always loves playing on them.

If there's some doubt about i3D I would personally say Multiplay is probably the better option.

LordCanti

scogoth said:
Have we determined a server location? i3D is mostly Europe, not too good for the NA players.

Both i3d and multiplay are hosting BF3 in the U.S, alongside Europe. The server will be on the East Coast of the U.S.

If i3d has problems, and they want 3 months of rent in advance, I have no problem telling them to shove it and going for Multiplay. I'll regret the loss of the free server, but I don't think we want to be stuck with a company that has had problems in the past. If their troubles really are in the past though, we should probably look past them.

In any case, I think we should wait until the beta, so we can all get on the same server and really test out the quality. I hope the beta is before i3d's pre-order deadline.

Damn. I tried to find some i3D and multiplay servers in BC2 last night to play on, but the only populated ones were located in the UK/Europe.

Kyaw

I can vouch for Multiplay. Had no problems for hosting Minecraft server except the usual updating bs with the server control client and game updates.

scogoth

Free mumble server if we needed one and Chicago Servers, I'm liking Multiplay.
1 Month seems to be the same price as 12-month pre pay, so we can just go month to month with them too.

Menelaus said:
What is their pricing like?

$95/month for 64 players.

scogoth said:
Free mumble server if we needed one and Chicago Servers, I'm liking Multiplay.
1 Month seems to be the same price as 12-month pre pay, so we can just go month to month with them too.

I think i3D had Virginia servers, which we settled on (IF we choose i3D).

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a good review site for server providers.

Multiplay definitely seem the way to go. The free server was a nice bonus but not one that is really needed. I'd rather go with the more reputable company.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
Damn. I tried to find some i3D and multiplay servers in BC2 last night to play on, but the only populated ones were located in the UK/Europe.

They are both coming to America for the first time with BF3 I think. If I'm not mistaken, those servers were already live during the alpha (likely the ones most of us played on). They are likely to be live during the beta as well, and could very well be the servers we'd eventually be renting.

Animator

I will have a 64 player server from NFO either located in seattle or chicago. Gaffers are welcome and I will set up a vip list so gaffers all have priority access and reserved spots on it. Can someone please add this to the OP.

Animator said:
I will have a 64 player server from NFO either located in seattle or chicago. Gaffers are welcome and I will set up a vip list so gaffers all have priority access and reserved spots on it. Can someone please add this to the OP.

So that's two 64 players servers where GAF players will have priority. Nice!

Souljiro

Animator said:

Awesome another server!

Spl1nter

I agree with using multiplay. 1 month term is probably the best for what we are doing. Also allows us to see how having a 64 palyer server will work out.

LordCanti

Animator said:
Pfft you wish.

GAF west players > all. :p

Are you paying for the server yourself? I honestly don't think the ping to our server from the west coast is going to be high at all.

Either way, it's nice of you to offer VIP slots to everyone here.

Animator

LordCanti said:
Are you paying for the server yourself? I honestly don't think the ping to our server from the west coast is going to be high at all.

Either way, it's nice of you to offer VIP slots to everyone here.

Yes I will be paying out of my own pocket. Donations are much appreciated but not required in the short term.

Sounds like we've settled on multiplay. Their preorder "bonus" is 50% off (the server is normally close to $200 a month), but it doesn't look time-limited. I wonder if they'll be hosting beta servers, as they did for the alpha.

Spl1nter

Mr. Snrub said:
Sounds like we've settled on multiplay. Their preorder "bonus" is 50% off (the server is normally close to $200 a month), but it doesn't look time-limited. I wonder if they'll be hosting beta servers, as they did for the alpha.

only for a 1 month term correct?

Menelaus said:
I would just double check that any discount we get on the first month could be applied to future months if they prove themselves worthy.

All pre-orders qualify for 50% discount for the life of the server.

So I think if we renew, we'll be okay.

Megalodactyl said:
Very cool Animator.

And are we getting the server with the bonus 16 player server? That'd be awesome, 16 player jet fights FTW.

16 player server was only with i3D, which we haven't gotten much info on.

Menelaus

Banned
Hmm, strange bit of language.

"Pre-order servers will be made available on the games release, sooner if the developer permits"

Not even seeing HOW to pre-order currently on their site.

Top Bottom