• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

LordCanti

Izayoi said:
So where is this server going to be located? East coast by the looks of the OP?

I think it's safe to say that the East Coast has won at this point. The server will probably end up somewhere between New York and Virginia.

LordCanti

Something weird happens to Origin after you get 50 friends. I've been having to re-accept friend requests for people that have been on my list for a month. It only started after 50... O_O

I can't find Raudi_DW or Jeffpm on Origin using friend search. Are you sure those are your Origin names, guys? If so, make sure your privacy settings allow you to be found via Origin ID.

Cardigan

LordCanti said:
Something weird happens to Origin after you get 50 friends. I've been having to re-accept friend requests for people that have been on my list for a month. It only started after 50... O_O

I can't find Raudi_DW or Jeffpm on Origin using friend search. Are you sure those are your Origin names, guys? If so, make sure your privacy settings allow you to be found via Origin ID.
Yep, it's definitely my Origin name and I can be found with my Origin ID.
Z2X9U.png

If it's any consolation, I couldn't find you or any of the other names from the list, so maybe something on the Origin side isn't working.

LordCanti

Cardigan said:
Yep, it's definitely my Origin name and I can be found with my Origin ID.

If it's any consolation, I couldn't find you or any of the other names from the list, so maybe something on the Origin side isn't working.

I wouldn't put it past EA. Do you have an XBL gamertag I could look you up by? Or PSN?

Whoever is updating that list, I'm Schmattakopf on Origin.

And depending on the total cost and location, I'd give a monthly contribution to the server.

Edit: I read a few posts above. New York is fine with me, so just depending on the cost.

LordCanti

Schmattakopf said:
Whoever is updating that list, I'm Schmattakopf on Origin.

And depending on the total cost and location, I'd give a monthly contribution to the server.

Edit: I read a few posts above. New York is fine with me, so just depending on the cost.

The total cost is going to be anywhere from $83 a month to $100 a month for a 64 player server. It depends on which host we end up going with. We've already collected three months of rent, but all donations are appreciated.

Per-person donations have ranged from between $5 or so and $30 I think. There really isn't a set minimum right now though. In the future, it may be $5 a head for a reserved slot, but only if we get enough regular donors to make that financially feasible.

demolitio

Sorry, didn't notice my location was TBD. I'm in Ohio, USA so I guess technically East.

So excited to have a good home server already lined up for this game. I know I've said I can't donate due to personal issues, but I'd be willing to help out in ANY other way possible. I'm unemployed and will be for a long time from medical issues so I have all the time in the world to help out if anything is needed.

Mully

Would definitely love some Friendly Fire for the GAF server. I feel that since it is a dedicated community devoted to BF3 that we can handle FF. Public is a different animal, but I want to play and support this server as much as I can.

Josh7289

Mully said:
Would definitely love some Friendly Fire for the GAF server. I feel that since it is a dedicated community devoted to BF3 that we can handle FF. Public is a different animal, but I want to play and support this server as much as I can.
I wouldn't mind having some dedicated blocks of time set aside every week where FF is enabled, but I'd prefer it to be off for 90-95% of the time. Even though it's a GAF server, not all of us are going to be playing on the same team all the time. We're going to get dicks or poor players who team kill for fun or by mistake somehow.

Mully

Josh7289 said:
I wouldn't mind having some dedicated blocks of time set aside every week where FF is enabled, but I'd prefer it to be off for 90-95% of the time. Even though it's a GAF server, not all of us are going to be playing on the same team all the time. We're going to get dicks or poor players who team kill for fun or by mistake somehow.

I can dig that. Maybe have it on certain time slots throughout the day, or have specific days (FF Friday).

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
FF Fridays!

Fine with me. Others will complain that one day a week isn't enough though.

Maybe we could switch every four hours? People would complain that they didn't know FF had been switched on though... hmm....

I definitely think we need a re-vote, maybe for month two, where the people that actually show up to play with us get to vote (not to mention where we make sure donor votes are being counted). I have a feeling that people with no intention of ever playing with us voted in that poll after it came up in the news thread. I know at least one guy did, and I'm sure there are more that just didn't come out and say it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If the majority want it off for the majority of the time you can't really complain.

I'd like a hardcore server 24/7, but I know that's not going to happen :p

That's the thing; We don't know right now. It was like 80% for off, 20% for on, before people started calling anyone that wanted it off a console peasant (and a pussy, a wuss, etc) and voting yes. I don't know if these people have donated, or if they will be playing on PC, or anything.

If the majority want it off for the majority of the time you can't really complain.

I'd honestly like FF more than one night a week, but we'll have to see what GAF thinks. Seemed like a lot of GAF wanted FF in the other thread.

Foliorum Viridum said:

I think I'd like hardcore more if I didn't love the spotting mechanic, and if I enjoyed being one-shotted by snipers more.

spicy cho

I don't think we should have FF on days if it will be off primarily. We want to get a lot of regulars so that it's always full or close to, and changing the server rules periodically won't really help things.

That said I'm fine with either setting, but it's clear that FF on would require a lot more admin work.

Mr. Snrub said:
I think I'd like hardcore more if I didn't love the spotting mechanic, and if I enjoyed being one-shotted by snipers more.
I hate spotting and I get one shotted by snipers in regular BF, so hardcore is now my mode in BC2!

Mully

Obviously most of our traffic is going to be on the weekends and nights. If anything, we will have FF off on Fridays and weekends. Have FF on some week nights. The ratio should be 70/30.

Menelaus

Banned
Mully said:
Obviously most of our traffic is going to be on the weekends and nights. If anything, we will have FF off on Fridays and weekends. Have FF on some week nights. The ratio should be 70/30.
Mully is making a lot of sense today.

LordCanti

Mully said:

That's not going to sit well with the "Put FF on or I'm not playing with you" contingent, but it's fine with me.

Kalnos

Banned
I donated $25 to celebrate my $3/hr raise. Also, I would prefer FF to be turned on so I voted for that as well.

Also my account name on Origin is Kalnos. Location: Louisville, KY... Virginia server would be perfect for me!
KuGsj.gif

Spl1nter

Kalnos said:
I donated $25 to celebrate my $3/hr raise. Also, I would prefer FF to be turned on so I voted for that as well.

Also my account name on Origin is Kalnos. Location: Louisville, KY... Virginia server would be perfect for me!
KuGsj.gif

congrats on the raise. see you on the battlefield.

I'm not going to join the master race side anytime soon.
However, can I donate in name of my former PS3 friends and bequest the reservation to them? Of course the amount would be of norm.

If yes:
Let's say PersonA alredy donated for the month. If I make a donation in his name can he get an additional month of reservation?

LordCanti

Dreamgazer said:
I'm not going to join the master race side anytime soon.
However, can I donate in name of my former PS3 friends and bequest the reservation to them? Of course the amount would be of norm.

If yes:
Let's say PersonA alredy donated for the month. If I make a donation in his name can he get an additional month of reservation?

We've almost gotten to four months of rent, so it is probably time to start thinking about making donations more standardized (instead of everyone donating a different amount). $5 could equal a month, but we'd need to guarantee that we could get 20 people a month (on average) to donate. I don't think right now is the time to make the change though. We've got at least three months from launch for people to try out the server, see if they like it, and decide if they want to continue supporting it. At that time, we can think about converting dollar amounts into a length that the person has a guaranteed spot.

Right now, no one that has donated will be kicked out of their reserved slot for not donating within the span of a month. Once the time is up for our server on the funds we've received so far though, the collection plate is going to have to go back around. At that time, we should have a standardized amount for how much a reserved slot costs per month.

(I hope that made sense)

LordCanti said:
We've almost gotten to four months of rent, so it is probably time to start thinking about making donations more standardized (instead of everyone donating a different amount). $5 could equal a month, but we'd need to guarantee that we could get 20 people a month (on average) to donate. I don't think right now is the time to make the change though. We've got at least three months from launch for people to try out the server, see if they like it, and decide if they want to continue supporting it. At that time, we can think about converting dollar amounts into a length that the person has a guaranteed spot.

Right now, no one that has donated will be kicked out of their reserved slot for not donating within the span of a month. Once the time is up for our server on the funds we've received so far though, the collection plate is going to have to go back around. At that time, we should have a standardized amount for how much a reserved slot costs per month.

(I hope that made sense)

Understandable.
I'll just make a general donation now then.

Mully

LordCanti said:
$362, and the hunt for the mystery donor continues.

Whoops, sorry guys. No mystery, that was me. I got a very nice tip from a very nice cougar the other night while bartending at my catering hall and thought I would pass it on.

I really can't wait to play with all of you.

By the way the donor's name is Hot Cougar Lady #8. She's a regular. Here's to flirting with the cougar for that GAF server paypah.

Sent

Wow, thanks Dreamgazer--appreciated! It won't be forgotten. We'll figure out how to "give" it to someone, but as Canti said, now that we've gotten just about four months, we'll probably work out a more standardized system for ensuring a reserved slot.

We are now up to $398! If you donated and forgot to give your name, please PM me your email address associated with Paypal, so I can confirm it's you and not some bum trying to take credit
grin.gif

This is going so well.

Can't wait for the beta.

I made was doing my finance plan the other week for the next term of university and I included a monthly donation to the server in it - that's how dedicated I already am!

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
grin.gif

Oop, my mistake, $389, but still! We also have 30 donors. Would be epic if we could all play at the same time.

It's been tweeted. It's officially $398 now, come hell or high water :p

Foliorum Viridum said:
This is going so well.

Can't wait for the beta.

I made was doing my finance plan the other week for the next term of university and I included a monthly donation to the server in it - that's how dedicated I already am!

I'm amazed at how well this is going. I doubt any other groups have $400 raised towards a server at this point. If they have, I doubt they collected all of it within less than a month.

Pennybags

I hate having to accept the same friend requests every time I sign back into Origin. Fix your shit, EA!

Wow at nearly $400!

LordCanti

Pennybags said:
I hate having to accept the same friend requests every time I sign back into Origin. Fix your shit, EA!

Wow at nearly $400!

Same here. Origin doesn't inspire any confidence in me that Battlefield 3's launch will be issue free.

Every single time I log in, I have to accept a friend request from at least two people that I've had on my list for months.

I'm going to try here, since no one in the other thread remembers:

Does anyone remember who made this? I'd love to use it as a twitter avatar/background potentially, but I'd like permission to do so first.

1y0g3l.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Pancakes | Pankaks | (Located on the East Coast of USA)

Donated 5 bucks to the server fund. See you guys on the Battlefield!

Repgnar

Dmorr07 | Dmorr07 | East coast.

Just pre-ordered BF3 today with the birthday coupon(Got a code on Sept. 18 even though my birthday is in July, pretty sure I put my legit birthday on the account) and downloaded Origin. Haven't been watching too many videos so i'm going into this game pretty blind and can't wait for Tuesday. Should be playing with one of my friends quite a bit but I wouldn't mind playing with some gaffers during the beta and release, especially if there's a server up.

Top Bottom