• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Menelaus said:
Hmm, strange bit of language.

"Pre-order servers will be made available on the games release, sooner if the developer permits"

Not even seeing HOW to pre-order currently on their site.

?

SWKXk.png

I think that just means you won't be able to play on the server until the game is released

Menelaus

Banned
Oh geez. I had just read the "demo rental server" section when i saw that button, and my brain assumed it was for that.

Derp. Ignore me.

Animator

Multiplay's "Lifetime %50 off!" pricing is bullshit. They still charge 100$ for 64 player servers just like everybody else. Also Multiplay servers were shit in the alpha.

ChiefKief

Banned
Animator said:
Multiplay's "Lifetime %50 off!" pricing is bullshit. They still charge 100$ for 64 player servers just like everybody else. Also Multiplay servers were shit in the alpha.
Well, back to square one it seems lol

LordCanti

Animator said:

That's not how I remember their servers at all. They hosted pretty much all the servers alongside i3d, and I don't remember noticing any server related performance issues from either host.

I agree that the 50% pricing is bullshit (it just brings them to where everyone else is) but I'm not sure how you can say their servers were shit in the alpha.

We'll get a better idea of how they perform in the beta, but if they were shit in the alpha, almost everyone played on them. I don't remember a huge outcry that the alpha servers were shit (or any outcry for that matter).

Animator

Spl1nter said:
Animator is the server you are renting for a clan as well?

No. It is for Something Awful goons and gaffers here. I don't play with a clan.

I am usually on a irc channel: #pcgaming @ irc.synirc.net and it is basicly those of us there who decided to get a server so we can play together without having to deal with other servers bullshit.

Josh7289

I put in $5 for now. I'll probably keep up at this rate every month unless we need more sometime. Thanks to everyone who's put in more than me, and to everyone else too. I'm looking forward to this. :)

Animator

LordCanti said:
That's not how I remember their servers at all. They hosted pretty much all the servers alongside i3d, and I don't remember noticing any server related performance issues from either host.

I agree that the 50% pricing is bullshit (it just brings them to where everyone else is) but I'm not sure how you can say their servers were shit in the alpha.

We'll get a better idea of how they perform in the beta, but if they were shit in the alpha, almost everyone played on them. I don't remember a huge outcry that the alpha servers were shit (or any outcry for that matter).

MyIS were the only servers that did not lag for me in the alpha and I had 20-30 pings to them. Multiplay ones were all 150+ ping. I am in Vancouver and on FIOS.

LordCanti

Animator said:
MyIS were the only servers that did not lag for me in the alpha and I had 20-30 pings to them. Multiplay ones were all 150+ ping. I am in Vancouver and on FIOS.

These are the locations that multiplay is hosting servers for the retail game:

US: Chicago, Illinois, Herndon, Virginia, Los Angeles, California, San Antonio, Texas, St. Louis, Missouri

Who knows where they had servers during the alpha. If they were in pretty much any place but Los Angeles on that list, it is quite a distance to Vancouver.

I'm not discounting your experiences, but if MyIS had a bunch of west coast servers for the alpha, it could explain the difference you saw in ping. In the middle of the U.S, I didn't really encounter any high ping servers during the alpha (they were all pretty fantastic actually; It was the game itself that had bugs).

Barring something unforeseen, it would definitely be prudent of us to wait until the beta to pick a server hosting company. We'll all be able to verify the likely performance of the server hosts we'd be renting from, and pick the one that seems to be the best.

25 donors and we just crossed the $300 mark! Thanks for all the donations--we'll have, at the very least, a solid three months of playing time.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
We're gonna take it down today, it's not working. Gonna find a third party gadget.

I found one, and put it up.

Current poll question on the blog: "Should friendly fire be enabled?"

No log-in required to vote.

Also...I've never heard of Branzone. They are $10 cheaper than anywhere else, so if their servers are good in the beta, they are a contender for sure. They offer everything that i3D and Multiplay do it seems (free 16 man server like I3d, free website hosting like both of them) and they guarantee a full core dedicated to the server.

gillFTR

Animator said:

Nvm I remember now yah MyIS definitly had the best pings for me during the beta. and multiplay servers definitly had over 150 ping during the beta for me

LordCanti

Anyone have any experience with gameservers? (http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/battlefield_3.php)

They just put out their pricing for BF3... $83 a month for 64 players. We could save $17 a month going with them, but we need information if anyone has any experience with their servers.

If they're shit, we've got five days to cancel for a refund, should we decide to go with them.

"BF3 Server Features: Instant Activation, Free Website, No Setup Fees, Cancel Anytime, 5-Day Refund Guarantee."

I hope all the other server providers see their pricing and decide to compete.

LordCanti said:
Anyone have any experience with gameservers? (http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/battlefield_3.php)

They just put out their pricing for BF3... $83 a month for 64 players. We could save $17 a month going with them, but we need information if anyone has any experience with their servers.

If they're shit, we've got five days to cancel for a refund, should we decide to go with them.

"BF3 Server Features: Instant Activation, Free Website, No Setup Fees, Cancel Anytime, 5-Day Refund Guarantee."

I hope all the other server providers see their pricing and decide to compete.

They are the sole Black Ops server providers, and their servers (mind you its 18 players) on that game hold up excellently here in London.

Menelaus said:
Just wait till the top donating members with reserved slots teach you a lesson you won't soon forget.

/headshot clang
what lesson, oh you mean that they need to learn how to identify enemy targets before shooting blindly?

AHAHAAA, GOOD ONE

I really don't mind FF. It prevents chopper (or vehicle, in general) spam and almost forces communication.

The problem is in most pubs, no one really takes FF into account. Aside from usual griefing, it blows to toss a grenade into a room to clear it, only to have a buddy (or two, or three) run straight into the room before it's set off.

its not just that, I believe Hardcore-Mode breeds smarter gameplay since you don't have the aid of 3D spotting, minimaps or the killcam. thus, it's forcing you to pay attention to your surrounding more.

Mr. Snrub said:
I really don't mind FF. It prevents chopper (or vehicle, in general) spam and almost forces communication.

The problem is in most pubs, no one really takes FF into account. Aside from usual griefing, it blows to toss a grenade into a room to clear it, only to have a buddy (or two, or three) run straight into the room before it's set off.

They'll learn not to chase grenades into rooms then.

scogoth

Cuban Legend said:
its not just that, I believe Hardcore-Mode breeds smarter gameplay since you don't have the aid of 3D spotting, minimaps or the killcam. thus, it's forcing you to pay attention to your surrounding more.

And breeds trolls, nothing I enjoy more then going around in a humvee road killing my own teammates

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
How did I miss this?

I have had the game pre-ordered for ages, but never thought of looking here.

Stop It | StopItOmega | Europe - West

Will be donating too.

Edit: Donation donated!

Virzeth

tachiSama | tachiSama | Europe (west)

Will gladly donate something every now and then, if the servers turns out to work decently enough for me once I'll try it.

gillFTR

I'll say it again should checkout MYIS.net, the eastcoast option is vague. Like I said earlier they were the only servers I pinged under 100 for me being in the midwest.

I didn't get anywhere close with multiplay or I3D.

This being said I'm pretty sure that the open BETA will also have these servers running again so we can make better judgement then.

LordCanti

gillFTR said:
I'll say it again should checkout MYIS.net, the eastcoast option is vague. Like I said earlier they were the only servers I pinged under 100 for me being in the midwest.

I didn't get anywhere close with multiplay or I3D.

This being said I'm pretty sure that the open BETA will also have these servers running again so we can make better judgement then.

Right now the list of potentials is pretty long:

i3d
Multiplay
MYIS
Gameservers

(and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment, but have written down elsewhere)

Gameservers is the cheapest at $83 a month for 64 players. The other three hover right around $100 a month. All of them have server options on the East Coast of the US.

Hopefully the beta will have full 64 player conquest, so we can really get a feel for how well the servers perform. For what it's worth, I saw great performance out of all three of the alpha hosts I can remember playing on (multiplay, i3D, and myis).

we were briefly touching on the subject of admin management for the 64-slot server over in the BF3 news thread. Here is my post(s) on the matter:

Snrub, I've got admin experience from BF2/BF2:SF when my old clan held a ranked bf2 server at the top20 in the world, and my old clan mates who still happen to play BF2 have tons of experience and are currently BF2 server admins.

Maybe if I can get them to join us on the GAF BF3 server they can admin it with that ex-military iron-fist of theirs. If not at least, I volunteer to admin while I play if need be.

Mumble shenanigan's and joking aside, I'm not familiar with anyone else in PC-BFBC2-GAF who has had extensive server admin experience on a high-ranking/high-traffic server.

So, If Snrub or whoever controls the BF3 server is looking for admins, i suggest they look to those with experience in the matter, aside from their BF3 playing skills.

From my BF2 experience, the easiest way to manage a large server is to look for admins based on time zones for the best possible 24/7 admin coverage, 3 groups should be enough: north america, europe & asia...that is of course, if the GAF 64-slot server is going to have any admins on it at all.

LordCanti

Cuban Legend said:
From my BF2 experience, the easiest way to manage a large server is to look for admins based on time zones for the best possible 24/7 admin coverage, 3 groups should be enough: north america, europe & asia...that is of course, if the GAF 64-slot server is going to have any admins on it at all.

This is basically what I had in mind as far as admins go. There should be someone around capable of banning spammers/griefers/etc at least during the times when most people would be playing. I was thinking that these admins would be limited to the ability to kick/ban/mute, and that we'd have a place for people to dispute bans on the blog (if it ever came to that). The ability to change server parameters, to reboot the server, etc, would basically stay closer to the vest so that me and Snrub didn't wake up one morning to find that the server had been down all night thanks to someone messing with the server config.

The process of nailing down rules is ongoing. I think the first vote can safely be wrapped up here shortly (TK off is winning by a landslide). The fewer rules, the less we need to worry about having a fleet of admin's to nitpick every little thing that goes on in the server. I don't think anyone wants the server to turn into one of those places where you can be banned for being too good and pissing off an admin (who would then pull up some random rule for why you'd been banned).

How do you guys feel about "Should base raping be allowed?" as the next poll, or is it going to be another landslide like TK'ing was?

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
server admins should be like george washingtonian presidents; they don't want the power, but they don't have a choice.

Basically. I'm hoping that this democratic process will leave admins with the job of essentially keeping watch for TK'ers (like people who fill a chopper, and wreck it out of bounds, leaving everyone to die of suicide), AFK'ers, and base rapers (which a script should be able to do whenever someone creates one, like they've done for BC2). No one should have the ability to ban someone else from the server because that person has pissed them off. So many servers on BC2 forget that, and kind of just give admins the power to get rid of anyone at any time for any reason.

Spl1nter

LordCanti said:
Basically. I'm hoping that this democratic process will leave admins with the job of essentially keeping watch for TK'ers (like people who fill a chopper, and wreck it out of bounds, leaving everyone to die of suicide), AFK'ers, and base rapers (which a script should be able to do whenever someone creates one, like they've done for BC2).

Its better not to use shitty scripts to deal with base rapers. Someone shouldnt be punished for killing someone who is camping at there base. Just to have a good set of admins.

LordCanti

Spl1nter said:
Its better not to use shitty scripts to deal with base rapers. Someone shouldnt be punished for killing someone who is camping at there base. Better just to have a good admin.

The good scripts have penalties for killing from your base as well as for killing someone in the opponents base.

I'm hoping BF3 won't be like BC2, and that there will be a clear delineation between the bases and the flag areas. Too many maps in BC2 have a base that pretty much backs right up onto a flag, and it's difficult to know when you've crossed the magical arbitrary line between "in the base" and out.

I guess this is one more thing to add to ye olde pile o' poll questions (whenever these scripts actually exist, which I imagine will be some time after the game launches).

Spl1nter

LordCanti said:
The good scripts have penalties for killing from your base as well as for killing someone in the opponents base.

I'm hoping BF3 won't be like BC2, and that there will be a clear delineation between the bases and the flag areas. Too many maps in BC2 have a base that pretty much backs right up onto a flag, and it's difficult to know when you've crossed the magical arbitrary line between "in the base" and out.

I guess this is one more thing to add to ye olde pile o' poll questions.

You can take even a map like Atacama conquest were the base if further back, if you are in the heli you should be allowed to attack anyone firing at your from their main base. The man base AA can take you out from past B.

LordCanti

Spl1nter said:
You can take even a map like Atacama conquest were the base if further back, if you are in the heli you should be allowed to attack anyone firing at your from their main base. The man base AA can take you out from past B.

I think the point of a script like the one I mentioned is to completely keep people from doing any sort of fighting from their base (to get them out into the field, where the action should be). In your scenario, the person launching the AA attack from the base would be penalized for having taken down your chopper from his base.

This is all assuming that base raping is even something people want enforced as a rule.

Top Bottom