• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visually, Flood Zone doens't look all that exciting. It looks REALLY fun though.

Levelcap is also insanely good at Battlefield.

Bookoo

Visually, Flood Zone doens't look all that exciting. It looks REALLY fun though.

hype level +5.

I am really happy to hear his positive views on the new rush. That was my favorite in BC2, but didnt enjoy it as much in BF3.

he just wrote on reddit that he cant upload it
has to wait till october 29

he also wrote that one of them definitely looks better than the other (x1 and ps4)

You'd think with X1 having an exclusive at launch that it would be the one that would look better. But if that was true they would've purposely gimped the PS4 version

Leb

It's pretty bizarre watching a press video where the player actually knows how to play the game in question.

Newlove

he also wrote that one of them definitely looks better than the other (x1 and ps4)

Can you link that if it isn't too much trouble? Navigating reddit to find something is like finding a needle in a haystack.

bidguy

Banned
You'd think with X1 having an exclusive at launch that it would be the one that would look better. But if that was true they would've purposely gimped the PS4 version

could be the xbox version since jackfrags wrote that people will be surprised.

sucks to wait till 29th

Salz01

Somebody help me out on my logic.

Both NFS rivals and BF4 are powered by FB3.
Rivals is shown this week to look the same on PS4 and PC. At 30fps.
Is it safe to assume that BF4 will look very close to the PC running at 60fps? Or will ps4 take a significant visual downgrade to get it running at 60fps? I guess goes for Xboxone too.

Kssio_Aug

I have to admit, I was never a Battlefield fan, but this BF4 looks really interesting and funny to play!
Im thinking about buying it to PS3, and upgrade the PS4 version at launch at the same time that I buy my Killzone SF.

Loved that giant scenario with high builds that you can explore and build new strategies.

He's the best there is, at least on youtube.

The dude knows the ins and outs of the games better than anyone and he's a really smart guy. I've been subbed to him since he had like 10,000 subscribers. He's just gotten better and better

Is it safe to assume that BF4 will look very close to the PC running at 60fps? Or will ps4 take a significant visual downgrade to get it running at 60fps? I guess goes for Xboxone too.

You can't apply that logic because they're different games with different dev teams, it doesn't work like that

bidguy

Banned

this isnt the same developer. dice isnt known for optimising console games.

pc >>> next gen >>>>>>>>> current gen

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In before TheSeks says that Flood Zone is the worst map ever

No, that's still Metro which was a good idea on paper but in practice bad.

I'm going to have to watch the Jackfrags video later or wait a few days. I'm trying to go in blind before I rate the maps but I did look at the "Levolution" (ugh) moment on that map and it's kinda underwhelming, yeah. But at least you don't die from it like you would bailing from the Skyscraper in Seige of Shanghai if you were jumping out RIGHT as it started to collapse.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

I'm going to have to watch the Jackfrags video later or wait a few days. I'm trying to go in blind before I rate the maps but I did look at the "Levolution" (ugh) moment on that map and it's kinda underwhelming, yeah. But at least you don't die from it like you would bailing from the Skyscraper in Seige of Shanghai if you were jumping out RIGHT as it started to collapse.
Im not gonna watch any new maps vids... wanna experience them on mah PS4 :3

So, is there any word on them providing an option for BF3 vehicle controls?
Confirmed.
They made a post about the Beta changes, and this was one of 'em.

Raven77

I haven't noticed this before, do the maps have less of a deadzone in conquest 64?
In other words, are they bigger?

Absolutely.

Usually the Conquest Large versions of the maps have an extra 1-4 flags spread out across parts of the map that are otherwise out of bounds in the Conquest Small versions like in the videos.

For example. Operation Locker will probably be a grind fest in conquest small. But here is the Conquest Large version (supposedly)
Operation_Locker_3.jpg

TheSeks

So, is there any word on them providing an option for BF3 vehicle controls?

"It's in the cards." - DICE

AKA: Don't hold your breath.

I like that when you sneak up behind someone and knife them, there is actually an animation of stealing the dog tags off their neck. That is hilarious.

Although apparently that was in BF3, as well, and I just never noticed it.

It was in BF3. It was hard to see on consoles but on PC it's able to be seen easily above the 720p resolution. I think there's even snapshots that players have done where they have the dogtags in hand photos.

Milennia said:
I haven't noticed this before, do the maps have less of a deadzone in conquest 64?
In other words, are they bigger?

Yes. Maps zones are extended by a bit to add 2 flags (generally for BF3, dunno about BF4) for "Conquest Large."

Basically:

Consoles/Conquest: 3-4 flags
Conquest Large/PC only "mode": 4-6 flags.

I'll watch any multiplayer footage I can find, I'm only trying to save myself from spoilers on the single player campaign.

Hey guys! This dude cares about the singleplayer!

*everyone laughs at antitrop*

Jack Frags video has much nicer visuals, as well as being a slightly better player, imo. Both videos are amazing and I am thoroughly impressed by the map. Looks like so much fun.

I think LevelCap is better with vehicles, and JackFrags is a better shot.

I watched Jack Frags afterwards. You're right, they're BOTH very good.

I think the Jack Frags video has better quality, but I was mostly referring to the general aesthetic of the map. I can already foresee hundreds of "looks like BF3" posts.

Actually being able to go underwater in Battlefield is so insane. One of my favorite additions to BF4.

Tekku

Levolution is a pretty big deal on Flood Zone. The boats don't spawn until you trigger it. And it seals off a lot of passages, as well as open up new ones.

antitrop

Modern Military Shooters are my favorite genre in video games. :(

It's too bad the campaigns always suck ass. Only CoD4 and Spec Ops have really impressed me in the last half-decade or so. I enjoyed MW2, as well, even if not as much as MW1.

BF3, MW3, and MoH: W being the lowlights of the last few years. I at least hope that BF4 will be better than BF3, which isn't very difficult.

Marvel

could never
I'll watch any multiplayer footage I can find, I'm only trying to save myself from spoilers on the single player campaign.

I was gonna do this this morning, just watch everything. But I want that day my PS4 arrives to be so fresh and exciting.

New, ya know? it's really hard to resist though lol.

k4n3

Banned

It's too bad the campaigns always suck ass. Only CoD4 and Spec Ops have really impressed me in the last half-decade or so. I enjoyed MW2, as well, even if not as much as MW1.

BF3, MW3, and MoH: W being the lowlights of the last few years. I at least hope that BF4 will be better than BF3, which isn't very difficult.

i always beat the SP before i go into MP some how i feel like im obligated to do it lol, i keep hoping maybe it will be good this time.... some of the early IW cod games had some what decent storys hope DICE can actually get one right for once

TheSeks

Levolution is a pretty big deal on Flood Zone. The boats don't spawn until you trigger it. And it seals off a lot of passages, as well as open up new ones.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm saying the "event" is underwhelming. It just doesn't have the same "wow" impact that Siege of Shanghai's had. I do like the idea of a flooded zone and having to use the rooftops as an idea. Just like I liked the idea of battling through a Metro station. But we know how Metro turned out so... :/

Eh, I'd rather DICE's singleplayer department get the "Rallysport Challenge" IP from MS and make a PC version of that (there's one for 1 but not 2) after doing Mirror's Edge 2. >_> Just leave Battlefield alone, they can't really do singleplayer for it. Frankly, if they're going to do singleplayer just do bots. Training Area is a good idea but I'd rather have the ability to raise bot skill levels to "destroy you and your family" levels and below to "practice" on.

Though the training area should help me see if I can finally do keyboard flying instead of having to fumble to put a PS3 controller on my PC to "switch" to to fly. :/

antitrop

Actually being able to go underwater in Battlefield is so insane. One of my favorite additions to BF4.

That was the part that impressed me the most, after the Levelution. I really haven't enjoyed "learning levels" in a competitive shooter since my Counter-Strike days in high school.

BF4 maps actually look to encourage a bit of that, they seems so complex and complicated in the best way I can mean that. I'm really liking what I saw.

Overdoziz

Banned
Confirmed.
They made a post about the Beta changes, and this was one of 'em.
The way they mentioned it in the feedback made it sound more like they wanted to just inform people that the Veteran layout is similar to BF3's, not that they've actually changed anything since the beta.

But at least you don't die from it like you would bailing from the Skyscraper in Seige of Shanghai if you were jumping out RIGHT as it started to collapse.

I think they should fix that. Standing on top of a collapsing building shouldn't kill you. You should be able to stay on top and ride it down. If you're still standing when it hits the ground, I can understand the game killing you. But you should be able to jump into the air halfway down to engage your parachute.

antitrop

I think they should fix that. Standing on top of a collapsing building shouldn't kill you. You should be able to stay on top and ride it down. If you're still standing when it hits the ground, I can understand the game killing you. But you should be able to jump into the air halfway down to engage your parachute.
If something like that actually happened in real life, that would be a story that would get you free drinks at the bar for the rest of your life.

Milennia

Absolutely.

Usually the Conquest Large versions of the maps have an extra 1-4 flags spread out across parts of the map that are otherwise out of bounds in the Conquest Small versions like in the videos.

For example. Operation Locker will probably be a grind fest in conquest small. But here is the Conquest Large version (supposedly)
Operation_Locker_3.jpg

"It's in the cards." - DICE

AKA: Don't hold your breath.

It was in BF3. It was hard to see on consoles but on PC it's able to be seen easily above the 720p resolution. I think there's even snapshots that players have done where they have the dogtags in hand photos.

Yes. Maps zones are extended by a bit to add 2 flags (generally for BF3, dunno about BF4) for "Conquest Large."

Basically:

Consoles/Conquest: 3-4 flags
Conquest Large/PC only "mode": 4-6 flags.

Thanks for the clarification, hopefully the next gen console versions of the game , consist of conquest large style maps. I hate deadzones and 3 flag maps.

HariKari

Well designed linear maps are the best. Basically every map in BC2 was that way, and no one really complained. When you get to the more open randomness of a map like Caspain or Strike at Karkand, you lose that focused magic. It just becomes a flag scramble.

Absolutely.

Operation_Locker_3.jpg

Great, DICE didn't learn anything from Firestorm :\

After watching the map previews... I am actually impressed by all except for two, Operation Locker and Zavod 311. Beyond trash.

If something like that actually happened in real life, that would be a story that would get you free drinks at the bar for the rest of your life.

The kind of base jumping you do in Battlefield games is damn near impossible anyways. As is parachuting directly into the drivers seat of a boat and going on a murder rampage. But it's certainly fun :)

It's just annoying that if you're anywhere near the "hitbox" of the collapsing building, you die. Even if you're above the danger.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Probably get you a prison sentence if you just happened to be standing on top of a building wearing a parachute when it got destroyed.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, you wouldn't survive, but I wish they wouldn't just randomly kill you even if you're just standing in the proximity of the building. But I guess the day DICE implements proper physics in multiplayer is the day they'll actually make a decent singleplayer.

TheSeks

It's the way <D 2.0> worked in BC2: The building is a "box" and when the collapse animation begins, it traps people in there after a time limit of like 10 seconds (so if people feel the rumble/hear the rumble they can bail out of windows) to let the person that collapsed the building earn the kills they worked to get.

The problem is, if you bust a window and jump right as the window closes BF4 counts you as a kill even though you're right outside the building (that's collapsing to the "south") while being to the "north" of the building. It's a bit bullshit.

I dunno if BF3 had the same "hitbox trap" effect on buildings that collapse since I never got into a situation where the building would collapse quick enough that I couldn't get right out of because most of the buildings don't drop in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom