• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Every thing is about choke point for them now. That's why even bf2 maps remake in bf3 had flags removed/changed ( even on karkand ) so every thing would be more condenced, whith less flag you can flank and capture without needing to become mass murderer. ( yes some of us did like being able to understand the flow of a map and cap flag you knew you would be able to easily stealth capture )

Seem like their vision a of map design is either 'flag cluster in the middle', "straight line" and maybe "U with water in the middle ( aka another form of straight line when it come to infantry )"
No, I don't think there's any pigeon-holing their map design. Its all over the place, because they obviously want maps that play differently.

Mayyhem

That new commercial was awesome. Got me HYPE. It's going to be so hard to not cave and by the 360 version before X1 comes out

Seanspeed

Banned
Glad they reworked support a little bit. Claymores and this new device sounds fun. Might go down that path.
I think all the classes sound great now. I always liked Assault, Engineer has its obvious capabilities and draws, Support sounds great now and even Recon could be fun, now they've got the ability to have carbines as well.

It should go a ways in giving people incentive to switch around more and not be afraid to change classes when its called for.

Sethos

Banned
New commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3cYpGGmkk

EHQeBEI.png

Subtle.

ucVr4DU.gif

derFeef

I think all the classes sound great now. I always liked Assault, Engineer has its obvious capabilities and draws, Support sounds great now and even Recon could be fun, now they've got the ability to have carbines as well.

It should go a ways in giving people incentive to switch around more and not be afraid to change classes when its called for.

Yeah, agreed. Might be the best class system since 2142 :)

Reminds me of the safezones on the End Game maps in BF3 which were made equal for both infantry and air vehicles because of CTF. Really annoying to deal with if you're flying in a helicopter.
Well, they can't just let you fly a flag to an area that's out of bounds for ground troops...

That new commercial is really good. DICE usually make some pretty great trailers for BF games

I know the SP will be total shit like BF3s was but you can't deny how good the visuals are in the campaign. It's the only reason I play it

koryuken

Hey guys, I haven't been following BF4 developments...

What is the MP client for BF4? Are we still stuck with the shitty "Origin" browser abomination?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Really loved that LevelCap video - the JackFrags video was great too, but I just loved the LC one more.

I just love the look of that level in general actually, especially the rooftop layout and pathways. A real shame that I won't be playing it anytime soon, and if I did, I'd rather it be on next-gen than current-gen consoles. The 360 beta showed potential, but watching both those videos and knowing that it won't look as that on console, I don't know man. Again, current-gen I might be able to deal with since the game play and weapon selection is so damn good, but even for that I won't be playing soon.

Serra

What is the MP client for BF4? Are we still stuck with the shitty "Origin" browser abomination?

Yes, you will still use battlelog on the PC.

Personally I liked the battlelog in BF3, so unless they changed it drastically, im fine with it.

Raven77

No, I don't think there's any pigeon-holing their map design. Its all over the place, because they obviously want maps that play differently.

I agree completely. And actually, you hit the nail on the head as to why their modern maps are not as good of Battlefield maps as their legacy maps.

When you try to design a map that can accommodate 8-64 people, and work on 8 different game modes (all of which play pretty differently), it is extremely difficult to pull off. I think some of the BF3 maps were decent, at best. Generally DICE is trying to do too much in each map. Mechanics use many tools for a reason, DICE is trying to use 1 map to do 20 things and it just isn't working.

Sethos

Banned
I know Battlelog isn't getting much love but I think it's damn amazing. I don't have to start the game, can just browse around for a server, quickly check if anyone's playing on my favourite servers and I can keep browsing whatever I want right up to the point where the game loads. I don't even have to open Origin, open the game - Just a bookmark and join a server, then it does everything for me.

Can't find a single negative about Battlelog.

Leb

Why do people say this? Now I'm incredibly anxious.

You're missing the larger issue here. On an internet filled with image macros of varying relevance to the topic being discussed, this is perhaps the most on-point image I've ever encountered.

Seriously, look at the bird's neck and tell me that the next generation isn't upon us.

Really loved that LevelCap video - the JackFrags video was great too, but I just loved the LC one more.

I just love the look of that level in general actually, especially the rooftop layout and pathways. A real shame that I won't be playing it anytime soon, and if I did, I'd rather it be on next-gen than current-gen consoles. The 360 beta showed potential, but watching both those videos and knowing that it won't look as that on console, I don't know man. Again, current-gen I might be able to deal with since the game play and weapon selection is so damn good, but even for that I won't be playing soon.

I love the underwater passages once it's flooded. Looks like a classic.

elyetis

Except maybe in the DLC, bf3 was really only about choke point, and flag cluster even on "big maps".

Caspian ? flag cluster in the middle, the only reason jeeps exist is not to go from flag to flag, but to leave the main base.
Kharg straight line ( except 1 flag yay ! ).
Storm ? straight line ( again maybe except for 1 flag ).

What did they do to Karkand ? remove 2 flag where they decided there wasn't enough action, and added one right in the middle of 3 other flags.
Even Gulf of Oman got one of it's flags moved so it would be very close to another flag, so they could get more close quarter infantry action in the city.

The fact that they want to cater to infantry perpetual action packed crowd on the 'big maps' would be one thing if there was many of them, but they actually do it while seven map out of 10 are already 100% made for them, and I'm speaking of conquest there, they also have other game mods like squad deathmatch or rush also completly made to cater to them.

Wurdfurd

Still so torn on whether or not to get this on PS4. Already getting on PC but I kinda want to double dip and play SP on ps4...

Anyone buying the PS3 version and not a PS4 wanna give me their next gen upgrade code? ;)

I'll probably wait for reviews to see if SP is any good..

Raven77

Not sure how anyone can like Battlelog.

It's completely unnecessary (why can't I browse servers in-game?). It also makes it take much longer than necessary to join a new game.

Wurdfurd

It's completely unnecessary (why can't I browse servers in-game?). It also makes it take much longer than necessary to join a new game.

I actually like battlelog. in game or not, at least it works and has substance. stats, server browser, forums, friends lists etc.

Still so torn on whether or not to get this on PS4. Already getting on PC but I kinda want to double dip and play SP on ps4...

Anyone buying the PS3 version and not a PS4 wanna give me their next gen upgrade code? ;)

you still need the disk

Don't even get an ounce of hope, 3 missions I have seen seem very similar to 3's.

Im a huge SP guy(I don't even start COD's MP till I finish the story)
I don't think I will even touch 4's campaign.

Raven77

I actually like battlelog. in game or not, at least it works and has substance. stats, server browser, forums, friends lists etc.

I agree that Battlelog, minus the server browser (which is terrible and not needed), would work just fine.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Battlelog works better than any of the in game browsers battlefield ever had.

wrongway

Here's a mirror for those map previews that were nuked from youtube: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=31a_1382722288

All current-gen, Conquest Small footage except for Flood Zone, which is from that everyeye video, and Zavod 311, which is the TDM version of the map.

They all look pretty promising to me, with the exception of Operation Locker which I'm not really sold on. Reserving judgement til I get to play it of course, but it just makes me think of the shitfest that was Damavand CQ. :x

Sethos

Banned
I was skeptical when it was first introduced into the BF3 beta... but ever since then, I've loved it. Seems like there are some nice improvements for BF4 now too.

It's a huge step up from regular in-game server browsers ... God, the hassle of starting the game, waiting for it to load, go to the server browser and wait for the list to update and populate and then you could join. Oh it's full, keep hitting refresh.

Tekku

Much longer? As opposed to launch the game, watch a bunch of company logos, go through a main menu, scroll the server list and then wait for the game to load? C'mon man, just think about it for a second.

With Battlelog you can bookmark your favorite server page and join a game within a matter of seconds. And while you wait you can search the web, chat with friends, invite someone, watch kittens on Youtube or whatever. It's SO much more comfortable.

And I don't know if you know this, but on console you can use your tablet or smartphone to scroll through the server list on Battlelog and boot a new game without even pressing start once on your game controller.

Leb

The other great thing about battlelog being in a browser is the ability to put it up on your second monitor and then run BF4 borderless fullscreen so you can have the battlescreen up on your second monitor.

That's pretty dope, no lie.

Sorry if I missed this earlier. But have they done any changes to the jets at all? It's really annoying seeing people on jets stomp an entire team even when being spammed by IGLA/Stingers in BF3.

Sorry if I missed this earlier. But have they done any changes to the jets at all? It's really annoying seeing people on jets stomp an entire team even when being spammed by IGLA/Stingers in BF3.

Nerf them until they're useless?

Seriously, it doesn't take much to get one other person to use an IGLA/Stinger. Or you could, you know, learn to jet better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom