• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS3 version of the game seems to have a lot of texture pop in, at least from what I've seen in the map preview videos.

Maps seem to be better than most of the base BF3 maps though, so that's good.

I dunno if BF3 had the same "hitbox trap" effect on buildings that collapse since I never got into a situation where the building would collapse quick enough that I couldn't get right out of because most of the buildings don't drop in that game.

I'm pretty sure it had that same effect that was in BC2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The PS3 version of the game seems to have a lot of texture pop in, at least from what I've seen in the map preview videos.

Should be better than the beta where stuff like AC fans popup five seconds after you're in their zone and killing you. Had that happen a few times in the beta.

Great, DICE didn't learn anything from Firestorm :\

Or Arica, or Bazaar, or...

All the conquest maps are straight lines now a days. Remember when BC1 on consoles had H style conquest or Wake Islands U in 1942? DICE doesn't remember. :(

Overdoziz

Banned
It's the way <D 2.0> worked in BC2: The building is a "box" and when the collapse animation begins, it traps people in there after a time limit of like 10 seconds (so if people feel the rumble/hear the rumble they can bail out of windows) to let the person that collapsed the building earn the kills they worked to get.

The problem is, if you bust a window and jump right as the window closes BF4 counts you as a kill even though you're right outside the building (that's collapsing to the "south") while being to the "north" of the building. It's a bit bullshit.

I dunno if BF3 had the same "hitbox trap" effect on buildings that collapse since I never got into a situation where the building would collapse quick enough that I couldn't get right out of because most of the buildings don't drop in that game.
There is a small window after a building has collapsed in which you can die by touching the rubble in BF3.

Raven77

Keep in mind that I believe DICE put much more attention into the larger versions of the maps this time around because they want to snatch up that Next-Gen crowd early. The best way for them to do that is to emphasize the 64 player maps on consoles for the first time in console history (I believe).

New vids are great. Seriously impressed with the quality of the weapon models vs vanilla BF3. Shit looks right. Love the new sound for the M4.

kidko

Kinda dumb that they aren't just showing all of this stuff on the official marketing channels. It's all looking really good.

Overdoziz

Banned
New commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3cYpGGmkk

EHQeBEI.png

Subtle.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Plz no. I don't need 12 year olds that don't know how to throw ammo and type "Faggot" at me 24/7, DICE/EA. Plz no. What are you doing? EA/DICE, STAHP.

antitrop

Anyone else getting Django Unchained vibes from that song? Anyways, awesome footage. :)

I liked the song choice, but the actual footage was just as lame as the Ghosts launch trailer, to me. Just quick cuts of explosions and set-pieces, doesn't do anything for me. It's lazy.

But, seeing as I hated the music choice they used for the Ghosts trailer, at least there's something about this one that I can appreciate.

Seanspeed

Banned
Great, DICE didn't learn anything from Firestorm :\
Huh? Its an infantry-based map. There is no comparison to Firestorm.

People should really give up expecting the SAME exact sort of gameplay/map for all of them. There's more linear maps(Locker, Flood map) and there's spread out ones(Paracel, Shanghai) from what we've seen so far.

Variety. It must suck to not like it.

Tekku

I liked the song choice, but the actual footage was just as lame as the Ghosts launch trailer, to me. Just quick cuts of explosions and set-pieces, doesn't do anything for me. It's lazy.

But, seeing as I hated the music choice they used for the Ghosts trailer, at least there's something about this one that I can appreciate.

Well I guess it's made for the audience who don't scan the internet for every piece of footage out there. Some nice visuals and music can be the best way to lure mainstream buyers.

antitrop

Well I guess it's made for the audience who don't scan the internet for every piece of footage out there. Some nice visuals and music can be the best way to lure mainstream buyers.
Even stupid dudebro bullshit like Gears of War can have interesting and exciting marketing pieces, like the "Mad World Trailer".

It's not unreasonable for me to expect better out of MMS advertising, they've become so complacent that it's pathetic.

Seanspeed

Banned
It is OK, I'm sure there will be karkand-type map running 24x7 for the people who like that stuff.
That's one of my biggest complaints with BF. Everybody seems to swarm to these super-specific servers, where its either 1000 tickets/45-60 minute long matches or just like 2 or 3 maps on rotation.

Not enough people who play in full-map rotation, normal ticket matches.

Overdoziz

Banned
That's one of my biggest complaints with BF. Everybody seems to swarm to these super-specific servers, where its either 1000 tickets/45-60 minute long matches or just like 2 or 3 maps on rotation.

Not enough people who play in full-map rotation, normal ticket matches.
I don't get why PC doesn't have official servers. Private servers can be great, but most of the time I vastly prefer a consistent, admin-free experience.
Was that likely all PC footage in from that commercial?
It will be the best looking version so most likely yes.

Should be better than the beta where stuff like AC fans popup five seconds after you're in their zone and killing you. Had that happen a few times in the beta.

Or Arica, or Bazaar, or...

All the conquest maps are straight lines now a days. Remember when BC1 on consoles had H style conquest or Wake Islands U in 1942? DICE doesn't remember. :(

A real shame, I guess good map design is hard.

Firestorm ? what I see there seems as bad as Damavand Peak conquest.

I've avoided that map(and most other Rush focused maps) like the plague, so I went to take a look at the layout and...

Peak.jpg

Jesus.

Huh? Its an infantry-based map. There is no comparison to Firestorm.

People should really give up expecting the SAME exact sort of gameplay/map for all of them. There's more linear maps(Locker, Flood map) and there's spread out ones(Paracel, Shanghai) from what we've seen so far.

Variety. It must suck to not like it.

Being an infantry-based map doesn't excuse the flag placement. BF2 has several infantry-based maps and none of them have 6 flags in a straight line.

k4n3

Banned
wonder how much mantle is going to really help... might be worth putting off SP till its done so i can crank up the settings even higher

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't get why PC doesn't have official servers. Private servers can be great, but most of the time I vastly prefer a consistent, admin-free experience.
Yea. I think my best experience with BF3 was on the official servers, before they introduced paid private servers.

I will usually support giving players options, but there's no denying that its not always for the best.

ABeing an infantry-based map doesn't excuse the flag placement. BF2 has several infantry-based maps and none of them have 6 flags in a straight line.
The point is that its a different type of map. Like I said, DICE seem to favour variety, whereas a lot of players(I'd even say most that post on here about it) prefer very specific types and HATE anything that doesn't conform.

Lakitu

st5fu
I really loathe EA's marketing for this. Embarrassing.

I also noticed there were infantry only servers on PS3. Great news.

elyetis

Being an infantry-based map doesn't excuse the flag placement. BF2 has several infantry-based maps and none of them have 6 flags in a straight line.
Every thing is about choke point for them now. That's why even bf2 maps remake in bf3 had flags removed/changed ( even on karkand ) so every thing would be more condenced, whith less flag you can flank and capture without needing to become mass murderer. ( yes some of us did like being able to understand the flow of a map and cap flag you knew you would be able to easily stealth capture )

Seem like their vision a of map design is either 'flag cluster in the middle', "straight line" and maybe "U with water in the middle ( aka another form of straight line when it come to infantry )"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom