• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Calion

Yeah, it feels and controls differently, but the gameplay remains mostly the same.

I got used to the controls about an hour in.

Very mixed feelings on the beta on PS3 so far. I am hopeful that they can address the glitches and framerate issues atleast before release. And by glitches i mean glowing hovering bullets and falling through the level while prone.

I'm worried though, because this is a glorified multiplayer demo rather than a real betatest :/

But, i can't wait to get my medic in action with that UMP-45! :D

Also i put up a PS3 GAF Platoon, i don't know if these carry over to the final game but it's there. And when the PSN friendlist inviting starts working, lets put this thing together properly! :D

Jas

meppi said:
Well that's it for me today. :mad:

Ejas sends me an invite, we go into a game.
I get put on a squad with 3 other idiots shouting and yelling.
Exit the squad and spawn: CRASH yet again.

It's fucking stupid to make a beta like this open to all.

I'm positive that this will do a lot of harm instead of getting the good word out. Blerg.

Sorry Meppi, I kept trying to join your game but I guess it's not working.

Hunting Beast sent me an invite and all it did was kick me back to the main screen.
PC version has problems with squads joining servers too.

Yeah, controls feel off right now.

I'm still getting used to the controls myself. I have the sensitivity pretty low but it still feels really sensitive when aiming sometimes.

I'm still enjoying the beta though and will probably still get it day 1 if I have enough cash for it. I really just want to see how the final product turns out once all the glitches are fixed, conquest mode is in and the server browser browser is used. I hope servers can be created on the console. would love a gaf server.

Jas

Nabs said:
Hey Jas, you should join us in Mumble sometime.

I will, my PC mic isn't that great tho :(
I need to pick one up before the game comes out.

At least the join feature is working on PC so I can play with you guys.

Nabs

Awesome. We should have a nice group of players later today.

If you want to test your mic you can try out the loopback feature. Settings (Click Advanced) > Audio Output. If it's really that bad, feel free to hit the mute button.

meppi

I think I know what I dislike about the controls.

Seems like the momentum is all screwed up in BF3.
For some reason when you swing your scope left or right, it doesn't react the way it did on BC2. It seems to accelerate a lot more even though the motion you make is constant, which just doesn't make any sense.
Not good...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
meppi said:

For some reason when you swing your scope left or right, it doesn't react the way it did on BC2. It seems to accelerate a lot more even though the motion you make is constant, which just doesn't make any sense.
Not good...

Yep. Tons of games do this now. It totally sucks.

It's for twitchy players... and people who come from kb&m and can't adjust to a smooth analog.

I'm doing a little better with it, but I still hate it. I automatically hate all games that are like this.

1stStrike

Banned
Oi, I played a couple rounds on PC. I got... 0 kills.

Couple annoyances that happened to me.

1. Launching a game is a PITA from the web browser. I don't like being forced to have my browser opened while running the game.

2. The engineer rocket launcher is... weird. I don't like it.

Overall, once I get used to it, I think I'll enjoy the game. Not sure if I'll get it on PS3 though.

meppi

Evolved1 said:
Yep. Tons of games do this now. It totally sucks.

It's for twitchy players... and people who come from kb&m and can't adjust to a smooth analog.

I'm doing a little better with it, but I still hate it. I automatically hate all games that are like this.
I don't understand how developers can be so fucking dumb.

First Guerrilla, although they certainly did have to reduce the input lag, but that didn't mean they should throw out the whole feel of the weapons which was Killzone's strongest point to begin with and replace it with the cookie cutter "I feel right at home in COD" BS.
Now DICE? FFS

We don't need all our FPS games to control like one another.
With all the BS of them crapping on COD, now they go as far as to make the game feel more like it? I mean WTF. That's just beyond embarrassing.

1stStrike

Banned
Starting to get used to it and getting kills... but either the game client is glitching out, or the servers running the game are crashing (could be server software related). I'll be playing and I'll randomly get a message saying the server connection has been lost via the browser window and the client just closes. Grr =\

No_Style said:
I actually posted these on my blog for the very same reason:

Server Browser – Having encountered so many “Server is full” messages while trying to join a fellow GAF member, the inclusion of a server browser in Battlefield 3 is more than welcome.

I've been playing the BF3 beta (PS3) and my first two issues were addressed!

It's too early to tell if texture pop-in will be a problem or not because it's just Operation Metro. And there's no Server Browser in the beta.

P.S - Who's going to create the BF3 console community thread?
that's one thing that's nice about the 360, in BC2, if the game is full, then friends in that game don't show as joinable. i'm sure that DICE could do the same on PS3, but it's more work, since it's not a system-wide ability.

Jas

Nabs said:
Awesome. We should have a nice group of players later today.

If you want to test your mic you can try out the loopback feature. Settings (Click Advanced) > Audio Output. If it's really that bad, feel free to hit the mute button.

Thanks, will do! I'll be on the PC version for a little bit tonight, I need some Caspian!

After a couple of more rounds on PS3 I guess join works but it won't work if the game is full (there's no prompt to tell you)
Is there anyway to invite a friend to squad in the middle of a round like in BC2? I didn't see it :\

No_Style

It's a shame folks aren't liking it. I, on the other hand, love how they handled the shooting. I want to be able to clear out a room with a clip's worth of precision aiming and this game allows that to happen.

It is similar to Medal of Honor 2010, but there's more recoil and a slower pace.

I wouldn't dismiss BF3 until Conquest and a real Battlefield map is shown.

P.S - Default sensitivity was too sensitive for me. I dropped it down by 1 or 2 notches and that was all it took for to adjust. I did something similar for BC2.

meppi said:

Not good...
i jjust realized it now, but the aim reminds me of Red Faction II. i played that game a bunch back on Xbox.

No_Style said:
It's a shame folks aren't liking it. I, on the other hand, love how they handled the shooting. I want to be able to clear out a room with a clip's worth of precision aiming and this game allows that to happen.

It is similar to Medal of Honor 2010, but there's more recoil and a slower pace.

I wouldn't dismiss BF3 until Conquest and a real Battlefield map is shown.

P.S - Default sensitivity was too sensitive for me. I dropped it down by 1 or 2 notches and that was all it took for to adjust. I did something similar for BC2.
hah, i put my sensitivity TO THE MAX!!!

JJD

Evolved1 said:
I think I'm going to hold off on this at launch... will probably move my money over to something else.

I really don't like it at all. And I don't mean the glitchy beta stuff... but the feel of it. It feels terrible. Like a completely different game.

If they don't give us some options to adjust the sticks beyond just sensitivity, than I might skip BF3 altogether.

As it stands right now I can't play this. It's not fun. Terrible map and terrible analog settings.

Pass.

Don't do that man. I was hating the beta too, but it's beginning to grow on me. I've played some matches with a good squad and it helped a lot! I don't know who Dice send those invites to, but most of those guys clearly don't have an idea of what they should be doing.

An infantry focused map is not the best way to get the feeling of the game. That said, I felt that Dice is trying to cater to the COD players a lot...as Olimpia said before, it reminded me a little of Medal Of Honor "gunplay" whatever this is. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just different and it will take a while to get used to. Weapons are much more lethal now, I can't be sure without the stats, but I believe is closer to Vietnam or Hardcore in that regard.

I doubt we will be getting sniping Uzis or shotguns this time, I was having a hard time killing guys at a distance with the first assault rifle and a 4x scope. It may just be my shitty skills, but the guns seem to have much more recoil now. And all your unlocks are weapons specific, when you get a new one you start from zero.

I still believe it's a good game, and I look forward to playing with you guys, but it's a little worrying that the Beta is in this state so close to release. I played BC2 beta, and it was a lot more polished and stable. Dice has a whole month on crunch ahead of then.

Evolved1

Sensitivity isn't the problem, it's the acceleration.

JJD... we'll see man, I've been playing but I don't like. And I find this unlocking stuff really obnoxious.

Edit: It's impossible to get into a friend's game. Server is always full... can never join.

Evolved1

And what the hell... I thought we were getting server browsers? This is still blind-ass matchmaking as far as I can tell.

No_Style

Evolved1 said:
And what the hell... I thought we were getting server browsers? This is still blind-ass matchmaking as far as I can tell.

Not in the beta.

Also this thread has turned into the official BF3 console community thread. BOOM.

1stStrike

Banned
How many of you guys are going to be playing on PC? I can do either PC or PS3, but I think that based on what I've heard about the console versions, PC is really where it's at right now. Though, I do wanna run with the same crowd as before.

JJD

Evolved1 said:
BF3: Prone Warz

Prone is a little fucked up! Lol!

I killed two guys defending that mcomm behind a counter in the second base inside the metro. I went prone in the middle of the bodies, and I'm not joking I must have killed 6 or 7 other players trying to disarm it. No one could see me among the bodies, and as soon as some of then disappeared I would drop other guy and crawl next to him. One of the dudes who I previously shot, tried to knife me in the back but got the wrong guy, and knifed a body, just to be shot to death by my firearm! It was amazing!

I think I will end up getting used to everything in BF3, except the spotting. It's freaking useless to me now. Spot a dude, shot him, he goes prone, spoting vanishes. WTF. If you don't kill him as soon as you spot, he's just going to lose the marker. So what's the point in spotting now?

Proning is really something that takes awhile to get accustomed to, it's not necessarily a bad thing. But it makes for some really small targets in staircases and bushes :/

Atleast snipers now have that spotlight on them always :p

JJD

Noisepurge said:
Proning is really something that takes awhile to get accustomed to, it's not necessarily a bad thing. But it makes for some really small targets in staircases and bushes :/

Atleast snipers now have that spotlight on them always :p

I found some good spots with a good view of the stairs inside the metro, guys come crawling the stairs in prone, BANG! Headshot!

That's the problem with prone, yeah, you're a small target now, but your most vital area is the easiest part of your body to hit!

Oh and the front grip is heavenly! I could do without optics, but I'm guessing grips will be a mainstay in my loadouts.

Evolved1

I love how when you're sprinting and you glitch against some geometry it kills your sprint... and you have to left off the stick and press it down and forward to start running again.

Awesome.

That only killed me about half a dozen times. Trying to like this but the more I play the less I want to.

abuC

JJD said:

I killed two guys defending that mcomm behind a counter in the second base inside the metro. I went prone in the middle of the bodies, and I'm not joking I must have killed 6 or 7 other players trying to disarm it. No one could see me among the bodies, and as soon as some of then disappeared I would drop other guy and crawl next to him. One of the dudes who I previously shot, tried to knife me in the back but got the wrong guy, and knifed a body, just to be shot to death by my firearm! It was amazing!
Lol that's awesome.

1stStrike

Banned
When you're defending on metro, go up past B on the first set and go prone right there on the hill in the bushes. Not only are you in the bushes, but you partially sink into the ground, so you can see everyone as they run over the hill.

Good ol' prone glitches.

Dr Prob

Banned
JJD said:

I enjoy sitting there in prone and watching squadmates spawn in headfirst:

T8u2m.jpg

Downside to that joy is sitting there in prone and having squadmates spawn in and collision boot you out into the death zone. heywtf

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No_Style said:
Not in the beta.

Also this thread has turned into the official BF3 console community thread. BOOM.

Why not? Most of us PS3 players bitched in here for over a year. Might as well get this to |OT3| with BF3 bitching.

JJD

Hey catpee! Nice games against almost 2 full squads of gaffers! :)

Anyone else is having mic problems? I can hear everything fine, including my voice, but I don't hear a single word from my squadmates, and they can't hear me... :-(

CatPee

JJD said:
Hey catpee! Nice games against almost 2 full squads of gaffers! :)

Anyone else is having mic problems? I can hear everything fine, including my voice, but I don't hear a single word from my squadmates, and they can't hear me... :-(

I could hear you fine, even when you weren't in my squad too.

Proximity chat = in
3AQmK.gif

I'm used to the faster pace now. It was a bit jarring at first, but now I find it more fun than the old Rush games of BC2. Recoil is also implemented better where there's not a lot at close range, but a hell of a lot of kick at mid/long range. The sprint and prone through the ground bugs are annoying though. Squad/Friends options are completely missing in-game, which is fucking odd. Hopefully this is some ancient build and the bugs and screen tearing get ironed out before release.

Now bring on the vehicles and JETS!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Evolved1 said:
I think I'm going to hold off on this at launch... will probably move my money over to something else.

I really don't like it at all. And I don't mean the glitchy beta stuff... but the feel of it. It feels terrible. Like a completely different game.

If they don't give us some options to adjust the sticks beyond just sensitivity, than I might skip BF3 altogether.

As it stands right now I can't play this. It's not fun. Terrible map and terrible analog settings.

Pass.

Agreed...

So sad though...I was super super hyped for BF3... :(

1stStrike

Banned
CatPee said:

Proximity chat = in
3AQmK.gif

I'm used to the faster pace now. It was a bit jarring at first, but now I find it more fun than the old Rush games of BC2. Recoil is also implemented better where there's not a lot at close range, but a hell of a lot of kick at mid/long range. The sprint and prone through the ground bugs are annoying though. Squad/Friends options are completely missing in-game, which is fucking odd. Hopefully this is some ancient build and the bugs and screen tearing get ironed out before release.

Now bring on the vehicles and JETS!

I'm all for ground vehicles. However, air vehicles will go the same as any other game with them in it.

1. Everyone rushes for the helicopters/jets.

2. The shittiest players on the server end up flying them and crash or get blown up right away - OR - the other team sucks and the guys that get the aircraft spend the entire map in them.

3. Half your team stands at the spawn waiting for the aircraft to be blown up and respawn.

That's usually how it went in BC2 anyway, and why I prefer maps that have all ground vehicles. Not only are they easier to deal with, but you don't have to worry about a bunch of retards on your team standing there the whole time doing nothing.

Ocho

Oh man, remember the early days of BC2? When the lag was soooo bad we couldn't even play (rubber company 2, anyone?)? And look, we stayed 'till the end. Hopefully they'll fix stuff up soon.

Also: I've yet to play the beta, but Metro seems an odd choice to show what BF is. I remember the beta and demo of BC2 had Arica Harbor and that snow-map-I-forgot-the-name, respectively. A perfect balance of vehicle action and on foot warfare. Arguably, the two maps I loved the most, and the beta certainly made me buy the game (why you so good, Arica?).

My only hope is that they bring Caspian Border on consoles during the beta duration.

1stStrike

Banned
I just unlocked the scope for the assault rifle on PC. Came in MVP and went 15:4 lol. I need mah scope :eek:

Meanwhile, PS3 version is still downloading... I figure that'll be done by like 4 am at this rate. Go PSN.

Evolved1 said:
I'm starting to adjust... but I still prefer BC2 control.

I'm adjusting.
Love that last grenade that killed olimpia and dan :p
Most annoying bug for me right now is the :
  • Random orange/white flashes.
  • Rare occurance of dark navy blue tint on screen (won't go away unless I die)
  • sinking into the ground.

Other than that, the clunkiness of pulling out guns and equipment is annoying.
Also what's the point of asking me if I want to accept revive or not if I get revived anyway?

Sad that this is feeling nowhere as good as the bc2 beta & demo.
Still buying day 1...but...

JJD

CatPee said:

Proximity chat = in

Really? Damn, I hope my headset is not broken...at least the mic is OK.

If I see someone playing BC2 I'll jump in to test.

Anyone else having chat problems?

Evolved1

This locks up my PS3 every time I try and leave a game... really annoying.

I still can't get over the fact we have less squad options compared to BC2. I mean you cant even join friends in a game, or switch to their squad if a spot is open, or accept invites... it's absurd.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Obviously: DICE is scared of PS3 GAF steamrolling and losing them sales. We'll just have to deal with it and disperse and bitch at Joe Q. Random to roll with us.

Still not getting the PS3 version currently.

JJD

Dreamgazer said:
Also what's the point of asking me if I want to accept revive or not if I get revived anyway?

You really have to be on top of a fallen soldier to revive him, I'm not feeling this too. BC2 was a little more forgiving.

JJD

Evolved1 said:
This locks up my PS3 every time I try and leave a game... really annoying.

I still can't get over the fact we have less squad options compared to BC2. I mean you cant even join friends in a game, or switch to their squad if a spot is open, or accept invites... it's absurd.

I could join Olimpia and Catpee games yesterday fine from the friends menu. Their squad was full, so I joined their teams. There was no warning or heads up that I was going to join when I pressed X though, and if the game was full nothing happened...I guess it's jut Beta bullshit...no way that will be the same on the full game...right Dice???????

Top Bottom