• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

-Silver- said:
I really wanna argue with you about the SV98 vs VSS comment but your Mx0 comment just makes me rage too hard. It sucks that not many people bought that manga.

He wants to stick with Shounen Jump, and not succumb to preassure to put in fanservce what do you expect?
(when ToLoveru was the king of ecchi comedy to Jump readers.)

The series would have been fine on Shounen Sunday, or other competittor mangazines (or even jump SQ)

CatPee

Dreamgazer said:
VSS rocks.

His new manga title sucks even more
Like for real sucks, not "aww they killed the series" suck

Mirror-something-something's ok. It's lacking the comedic outrageousness that was in Pretty Face and Mx0 though. :(

Dude should really move on to a new mag who won't can a series as soon as it dips into the teens in rank.

-Silver-

CatPee said:
Mirror-something-something's ok. It's lacking the comedic outrageousness that was in Pretty Face and Mx0 though. :(

Dude should really move on to a new mag who won't can a series as soon as it dips into the teens in rank.
I don't think the ratings were bad, the sales were though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dreamgazer said:
Feeling bad that I'm leaving ace all alone in his game.
Currently not in the mood to play bc2 due to beta fiasco

I'm not in the mood due to server-clearing Cold War (every fucking time) and circle strafing Oasis hell that I just don't have the patience for anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Evolved1 said:
I'm not in the mood due to server-clearing Cold War (every fucking time) and circle strafing Oasis hell that I just don't have the patience for anymore.

It only clears if you troll. But frankly Cold War is built to troll. If you allow the attackers to get into the base 9/10 of the time they're going to collapse A/B that are inside buildings and then quickly flood the open-air one.

Nice map, but it's very lop-sided toward attackers unless the defense trolls and scares the attackers into submission.

JJD

Just played the beta a little bit. The graphics are fine, nothing awesome like the PC footage but good for the PS3. I still think KZ3 looks better. Speaking of KZ the soldiers movement in BF3 reminded me a lot of KZ in a good way. Your soldier feels heavier, more glued to the ground. I think it's more realistic, but it's also a tad slower than BC2, there was no input lag on my commands.

Sound is awesome as expected. But I don't think I like Operation Metro very much...when the game is out and everyone learns the maps I believe there will be some major choke points...

Spoting was not as easy as in BC2, looks like you really have to keep the guy in your sights, and the orange dot was really small. From what I played Dice could just scrap the system. But maybe the other players were not spoting anyone like me.

In game kit selection was horrible IMO, BC2 was a lot easier, and you can switch sides in the middle of the game.

Most guys playing were horrible...I armed 4 mcomms and ended my first match with a K/D of 34/6, and I joined in the metro part! From what I played defence was really struggling to keep the attackers at bay. The spawn system was the same as BC2.

Prone really changes the game, there's some devious spots to hide and camp...

Overall I liked the game. It's not the second coming as I was expecting but good nonetheless.

Ohhh and an mcomm exploded as a squadmate was disarming it. I thought the timer would stop...

meppi

JJD said:
Just played the beta a little bit. The graphics are fine, nothing awesome like the PC footage but good for the PS3. I still think KZ3 looks better. Speaking of KZ the soldiers movement in BF3 reminded me a lot of KZ in a good way. Your soldier feels heavier, more glued to the ground. I think it's more realistic, but it's also a tad slower than BC2, there was no input lag on my commands.
Doesn't surprise me that KZ3 looks better. It'll probably end up being one of the best looking PS3 games along with Uncharted 2+3.
The movement impressions sound great to me. Loved KZ2 for not just the gunplay, but also the way the characters actually felt.

Been thinking about this for a while now.
I really would love to see DICE take on Killzone.
That's my only problem with Battlefield. Everything looks so damn boring thanks to the ho-hum war setting we've seen in hundreds upon of games. :-/
The KZ universe certainly has the atmosphere and character to be something special.
Too bad Guerrilla doesn't have the skill to pull of anything but mediocre gameplay, unless they do it by accident and then "fix" it later on...

Calion

JJD said:

Sound is awesome as expected. But I don't think I like Operation Metro very much...when the game is out and everyone learns the maps I believe there will be some major choke points...

Spoting was not as easy as in BC2, looks like you really have to keep the guy in your sights, and the orange dot was really small. From what I played Dice could just scrap the system. But maybe the other players were not spoting anyone like me.

In game kit selection was horrible IMO, BC2 was a lot easier, and you can switch sides in the middle of the game.

Most guys playing were horrible...I armed 4 mcomms and ended my first match with a K/D of 34/6, and I joined in the metro part! From what I played defence was really struggling to keep the attackers at bay. The spawn system was the same as BC2.

Prone really changes the game, there's some devious spots to hide and camp...

Overall I liked the game. It's not the second coming as I was expecting but good nonetheless.

Ohhh and an mcomm exploded as a squadmate was disarming it. I thought the timer would stop...

I'd like to echo the bolded. The layout of the kit selection is bulky and confusing.
The only other thing I don't care for....is that you can't cook grenades. I mean, you couldn't "cook" them in BC2, but you could atleast get your aim right and lob it exactly like you wanted it to. Not in BF3!

Other neat bits:

-Remember how slow you were notified of heals (Squad or not)? It's 10x more fast now and you can see 4 notifications at a time (if that makes sense).
-The flashlight is EXTREMELY effective in CQC.
-Spotting feels different, but refreshing.
-Characters don't talk (Pre-scripted lines) nearly as much when hurt, healed, pinned down, etc. (Not exactly a good thing in my book, but whatever)
-The new 100 ticket count for each set is interesting, but will take some time to get used to.

olimpia84

Played the beta for a few hours, already up to rank 7. BF3 is pretty much Medal of Honor... like, the physics from your character don't have anything to do with BC2. So if you guys enjoyed MOH online then this is the game for you lol.
Graphics are OK, metro level is horrendous (begs for choke points all along), new spotting is harder since the arrow is smaller, damage is increased (you die sooner, feels like hardcore mode), optional revival is cool.....

All in all it looks like it's shaping to be a solid game but it needs a lot to catch up with BC2. I'm glad this is just the beta so they have time to change things.

-Silver- said:
Something must be wrong with your aim, people seem to love running to you when you have that gun.

My aim is fantastic.

everything I said is relative to the other guns in the game, so yeah, it does have alot of recoil and shitty hipfire. Of course you burst fire the gun to be effective, that's with any gun in the game. My point is, you have to wait longer in between bursts to ensure the next shot is somewhat accurate compared to the other guns....... because it has more recoil. People pick up on these things when they chose the VSS, even if they're not conscious of the guns flaws, and that's why not alot of people flock to the VSS. Yeah it's a decent gun, but it has drawbacks and is best in the hands of a skilled player.

JJD

Calion82v said:
I'd like to echo the bolded. The layout of the kit selection is bulky and confusing.
The only other thing I don't care for....is that you can't cook grenades. I mean, you couldn't "cook" them in BC2, but you could atleast get your aim right and lob it exactly like you wanted it to. Not in BF3! I don't really understand this. Not being able to cook then is stupid, but now you can even hold then. As soon as you hit L2 you throw it.

Other neat bits:

-Remember how slow you were notified of heals (Squad or not)? It's 10x more fast now and you can see 4 notifications at a time (if that makes sense).
-The flashlight is EXTREMELY effective in CQC. I was amazed at how effective the flashlight was on the underground part of OP Metro. I was shooting all around trying to kill the guy coming for me but it was useless. I wonder how it will work in the open?
-Spotting feels different, but refreshing. Did you like it? I felt it was almost useless.
-Characters don't talk (Pre-scripted lines) nearly as much when hurt, healed, pinned down, etc. (Not exactly a good thing in my book, but whatever) I hope they include that on the final release
-The new 100 ticket count for each set is interesting, but will take some time to get used to.

As I said the game has potential, but the release date is awfully near and I fear Dice may not be able to fix everything until their deadline.

Did you sign in on the Battlelog? I thought it was nice.

abuC said:
Can you put the flashlight on a shotgun?

If I'm not mistaken the guy that killed me was using a flashlight equipped shotty.

meppi said:
Doesn't surprise me that KZ3 looks better. It'll probably end up being one of the best looking PS3 games along with Uncharted 2+3.
The movement impressions sound great to me. Loved KZ2 for not just the gunplay, but also the way the characters actually felt.

Been thinking about this for a while now.
I really would love to see DICE take on Killzone.
That's my only problem with Battlefield. Everything looks so damn boring thanks to the ho-hum war setting we've seen in hundreds upon of games. :-/
The KZ universe certainly has the atmosphere and character to be something special.
Too bad Guerrilla doesn't have the skill to pull of anything but mediocre gameplay, unless they do it by accident and then "fix" it later on...

I think the Killzone universe is great! And I loved KZ2. I've got it's platinum. I don't know what went wrong on KZ3, but Guerrila fucked up...bad! I couldn't play the online mode for more than 30 minutes. And the single player was uninspired. I hope they take a break from KZ, and try something new until they can figure out what to do with KZ4.

meppi

I fucking hate this game sometimes! :mad:

Start a game of conquest. Get thrown in with a bunch of noobs that don't know what they are doing. No matter what squad you pick, there always is at least one moron sniper camping on a hill for the entire game.

Change servers. What do I get, even bigger retards.
2 wookies shooting tracer darts at each other in the base camp. :-/
I somehow manage to convince them to jump in a jeep with me and take B since there are 2 LMG fuckers camping on the hill who took me down 30 sec ago.
I drive up there, jump out, while those two stay in the jeep right next to the guys.
I kill 2 and the 3rd one gets me. In my when I want to respawn I notice the 2 woolies are still alive in the jeep and haven't moved an inch!
I spawn and clean up B.
For some reason there's a level 3 tank whore who somehow knows where I'll spawn every single time...
My team sure does trace the bastard, but never fires a single missile at him. :mad:
After dying 5 times and shooting 8 missiles at this tank as he repairs it, I finally take him out.
Starting to make a comeback. The game throws me to the title screen.

Jump into another server.
Get coupled with 2 Frenchies who at least know what they are doing, but they are yelling and fucking singing though out the match. WTF. :-/
No problem, I just mute them.
Start capping bases and blowing up tanks left and right and soon I'm at the top of the list.
The damn game crashes my PS3! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarg.

BF3 better not have this kinda shit. :(

abuC

JJD said:
If I'm not mistaken the guy that killed me was using a flashlight equipped shotty.
YesJackNicholson1.gif

meppi

ochobit said:
It's the curse of online gaming.
Stupid teammates and opponents that abuse the lamest tricks in the book to pretend and be good at a game?

yeah I know. I was talking about those crash issues and such though. ;)
As those send me over the edge because they seem to only happen when you finally find a decent server to play on, which is beyond infuriating.

Jas

olimpia84 said:
Played the beta for a few hours, already up to rank 7. BF3 is pretty much Medal of Honor... like, the physics from your character don't have anything to do with BC2. So if you guys enjoyed MOH online then this is the game for you lol.
Graphics are OK, metro level is horrendous (begs for choke points all along), new spotting is harder since the arrow is smaller, damage is increased (you die sooner, feels like hardcore mode), optional revival is cool.....

All in all it looks like it's shaping to be a solid game but it needs a lot to catch up with BC2. I'm glad this is just the beta so they have time to change things.

Feel the same about Metro. (haven't played it on PS3 yet)
I've been playing on the Caspian map on PC and it's significantly better than Metro in every way.
I can see why they aren't using it right now because it is a bit buggier than Metro and it lags alot with 64 players but it's a huge missed opportunity.
That map makes a much better impression about the game.

JJD

Jas said:
Feel the same about Metro. (haven't played it on PS3 yet)
I've been playing on the Caspian map on PC and it's significantly better than Metro in every way.
I can see why they aren't using it right now because it is a bit buggier than Metro and it lags alot with 64 players but it's a huge missed opportunity.
That map makes a much better impression about the game.

Holy shit, it's buggier than Metro??? Damn Dice, you get less than a month to work things up.
I guess this going to be another typical Battlefield launch. :-(

JJD said:
Holy shit, it's buggier than Metro??? Damn Dice, you get less than a month to work things up.
looks like DICE is on the path to deliver another well known Battlefield tradition!

Jas

JJD said:

Well after the update this afternoon for the PC version it actually might be better than Metro now, lol.

I was falling through the ground before the update but damn it got even worse after it.

Eric WK

The Faceless Master said:
looks like DICE is on the path to deliver another well known Battlefield tradition!

Yo, what do you think of the 360 beta? I can't believe it's so unpolished. Plays well, but my goodness, it's almost depressing to see the state it's in.

With the open BF3 beta about to drop, here's a question for all of the BFBC2 diehards:

What were the shortcomings of BFBC2 that you want to see addressed in BF3?

For me (on PS3):
  • Choppers needed better counters
  • Bolt-action quickscoping was OP when compared with shotguns
  • You could be endlessly revived by a trolling medic (e.g. right in front of a tank)
  • Carl Gustav was annoying against infantry
  • Knifing lunge was OP in front-on confrontations
  • I preferred the slightly higher damage model of BFBC2 Vietnam (non-hardcore) over BFBC2 vanilla (non-hardcore)
  • No ability to restrict servers to local/good connections only (I had to manually IP block overseas servers to ensure I wasn't constantly put on servers on the other side of the world)

No_Style

I actually posted these on my blog for the very same reason:

Hit Detection – Those double kills, delayed kills and complete misses when I clearly have a bead on them — I hope these are addressed in Battlefield 3

Inconsistent Knifing – It could be related to the above, or it could be a completely unrelated. It doesn’t matter what the cause is, the end result is me getting the jump on someone, initiating a knife, watching it connect and not yield a kill. It’s not a big problem against the oblivious, but against a veteran player? I’ve been knifed back.

Texture pop-in – There were instances where I could see someone off in the distance completely exposed. Thinking it would be a free kill, I would take aim only to discover that a hill or a tree now stands between myself and the “free kill”. It’s an uncommon occurrence, but it does happen.

Server Browser – Having encountered so many “Server is full” messages while trying to join a fellow GAF member, the inclusion of a server browser in Battlefield 3 is more than welcome.

I've been playing the BF3 beta (PS3) and my first two issues were addressed!

It's too early to tell if texture pop-in will be a problem or not because it's just Operation Metro. And there's no Server Browser in the beta.

P.S - Who's going to create the BF3 console community thread?

No_Style said:
I've been playing the BF3 beta (PS3) and my first two issues were addressed!
That's seriously good news. All my Australian friends are reporting horrible lag in the BF3 Beta but i think that's just because there aren't any Australian servers for the Beta and they're being connected to European and North American servers. Of course without a server browser for the consoles it's impossible for them to know.

endlessflood said:
With the open BF3 beta about to drop, here's a question for all of the BFBC2 diehards:

What were the shortcomings of BFBC2 that you want to see addressed in BF3?

Off the top of my head (on PC):

• Hit detection. Less shooting through people, and less dying after I've moved behind cover.
  • They need to focus more on adding incentives to do objectives. I would like to see kills and deaths removed from the scoreboard, atleast during the game. Points for doing objectives and support actions should be much greater than points for kills.
  • Knifing in general. I prefer an equippable knife without the autolockon and charge bullshit. Most importantly, it needs to works as intended, it's so fucking inconsistent now.
  • Overpowered explosives. First of all, they need to have a longer minimum range before arming. Secondly, explosive damage upgrade should only affect damage on vehicles.
  • Every weapon needs to have bullet drop, and a little more of it than there currently is.
  • Separate sensitivity for infantry and vehicles. I play with low sensitivity and it is a pain in the ass to swirl the turrets on tanks around.
  • More (good) maps.

Evolved1

All of questionmark's and endlessflood's are good and I echo them... but in addition, off the top of my head:

• Less screen shake from mortars... or at least a smaller AOE.
  • Circle strafe should not be possible in choppers.
  • Shouldn't have to choose between lightweight and optics
  • Recons shouldn't have mortars.
  • Shouldn't be able to pick up a kit w/in a foot or two of an MCOM
  • Just weren't enough maps in Vanilla and too many CQB maps
  • Crate damage is bullshit
  • I don't think any crates should ever be in <2.0> buildings
  • Should've had proximity chat in vehicles
  • Throwing C4 (even though I do it) is pretty cheap
  • Shotgun bug
  • FF off :/
  • Absolutely no control over server option... can't even filter maps!
  • No way to link multiple squads to join games makes life harder than it needs to be
  • Conquest ticket bleed is not fast enough with all bases capped
  • White Pass... just Ugh.
  • Vietnam... sorry, not enough maps to give it legs and in the end would've preferred four more vanilla maps

Az

Since the beta is dropping today, the old PS3 crew please add me again, I'd hate to play with randoms. Wes is ready, I am ready. Dreamgazer, Evolved, Neo, Fersis, No Style, Faceless, abu, and whoever I forgot.
When I get some, it's on.

Evolved1

TheAzRim said:
Since the beta is dropping today, the old PS3 crew please add me again, I'd hate to play with randoms. Wes is ready, I am ready. Dreamgazer, Evolved, Neo, Fersis, No Style, Faceless, abu, and whoever I forgot.
When I get some, it's on.

They really changed the game, I'm not feeling it. I hate the sticks atm and they were perfect in BC2.

Is your PSN same as you gaf tag? I thought I had you on my FL already.

Az

Evolved1 said:
They really changed the game, I'm not feeling it. I hate the sticks atm and they were perfect in BC2.

Is your PSN same as you gaf tag? I thought I had you on my FL already.

I'll have to check it out. Someone made a comment saying it was like BC2 and COD had a baby. Really hoping it's not like that.

AzRim904. My PS3 was at my brother in law's place for a while so I am sure he deleted/added new people

olimpia84

I'm still having hit detection problems in this BF3 beta. My scope sight can be right on somebody and shots won't register at all...
There are a tons of bugs too. So far, not good.

meppi

Seems like the squad system is totally fucked in this Beta.
Only got it to work once after crashing and resetting for over half an hour.
Joining people in game seems to be impossible and when you squad up before going into a game, more likely then not you'll get split up. One will enter the game, the other will get kicked, or you'll end up in different teams.

A real mess.

Will be interesting to see if everything gets fixed before release or even in a day-1 patch.

I agree with you Evolved, it feels very different right now.
Not in the KZ2-KZ3 way, but still. Weapons certainly feel a bit weird.

TheSeks

Well, sounds like I'm not missing too much. I think DICE is too busy masturbating instead of polishing the game (and adding FUCKING TEXT CHAT) at this point. Shame. But I'll get to play BF3 eventually... SkeletononParkBench.jpg

Evolved1

I think I'm going to hold off on this at launch... will probably move my money over to something else.

I really don't like it at all. And I don't mean the glitchy beta stuff... but the feel of it. It feels terrible. Like a completely different game.

If they don't give us some options to adjust the sticks beyond just sensitivity, than I might skip BF3 altogether.

As it stands right now I can't play this. It's not fun. Terrible map and terrible analog settings.

Pass.

TheSeks

I'm curious what Cuban (who plays both 360/PC BC2) thinks.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
I'm curious what Cuban (who plays both 360/PC BC2) thinks.

I have to say that (for me) this is always a particularly divisive issue... some people are apparently fine with the analog control over a wide range of shooters.

I'm not. I'm very particular about it. It's the primary reason I put down most shooters (Killzone, CoD) and one of the main reasons I love BC1&2 -- because DICE nailed it.

But this is crap. If this was the retail copy it'd go straight to the pile with all the other shooters I never play because they have weird analog settings and no way to adjust them.

I wonder how many people will really pick up on it... or if it'll bother anyone else. But this bothers me like framerate or screen tearing bothers other people. Some people can't or don't see it, while others can never unsee it. If that makes any sense.

TheSeks

Too bad I can't play for myself and see. I can generally adjust to default thumbstick settings after a while. Maybe you're just not used to it.

abuC said:
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/geek-pics/YesJackNicholson1.gif

What good is a flashlight... when I'll be shooting you from mid-range?

olimpia84

Evolved1 said:
I think I'm going to hold off on this at launch... will probably move my money over to something else.

I really don't like it at all. And I don't mean the glitchy beta stuff... but the feel of it. It feels terrible. Like a completely different game.

If they don't give us some options to adjust the sticks beyond just sensitivity, than I might skip BF3 altogether.

As it stands right now I can't play this. It's not fun. Terrible map and terrible analog settings.

Pass.

I know what you mean. As I said before, they went (for some odd reason) with the Medal of Honor 2010 'route'. In terms of controls and aiming BC2 nailed it almost perfectly so I don't understand why they revamped everything for BF3.

meppi

Well that's it for me today. :mad:

Ejas sends me an invite, we go into a game.
I get put on a squad with 3 other idiots shouting and yelling.
Exit the squad and spawn: CRASH yet again.

It's fucking stupid to make a beta like this open to all.

I'm positive that this will do a lot of harm instead of getting the good word out. Blerg.

Evolved1

I couldn't figure out how to join someone else's game if I'm currently in a game, or check invites... lol. Someone sent me an invite, but I have to quit my game and go to the main menu to accept?

I'd rather play BC2 Cold War against a full team of recons over this beta...

meppi

Yeah, those team options are buggy as hell right now, just like the KZ3 beta.
Well worse actually since you can't seem to play in a squad of friends without crashing the game 9/10 times.

If things are going to turn out the way it's looking now, I can see myself sticking with BC2 to be honest.
Too bad they won't make new maps for it.
Again, not just talking about all the bugs and such, even though there are tons and tons of them.
No idea why the hell they decided to fuck with the controls at all.
I remember when I put on BC2 for the very first time and my first thought was: wow this controls perfectly.

Not happy about that part right now. Not happy at all. :-/

TheSeks

Evolved1 said:
I'd rather play BC2 Cold War against a full team of recons over this beta...

Hey now, don't knock. Those long games are still free wins and I troll the enemy team into submission. Dealwithit.gif or go to Oasis and have me rage for once.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Hey now, don't knock. Those long games are still free wins and I troll the enemy team into submission. Dealwithit.gif or go to Oasis and have me rage for once.

I'm not knocking. I'm 100% serious.

I'll be sticking with BC2 until the spring when I build a PC that can run ARMA.

I won't be moving on to BF3:Medal of CoD.

Ocho

Evolved1 said:
I'm not knocking. I'm 100% serious.

I'll be sticking with BC2 until the spring when I build a PC that can run ARMA.

I won't be moving on to BF3:Medal of CoD.

Shame I won't be able to play until 7.30pm to see what you're talking about. It can't be THAT bad, right? Right, guys?!

Evolved1

ochobit said:
Shame I won't be able to play until 7.30pm to see what you're talking about. It can't be THAT bad, right? Right, guys?!

It's just different. For some I suppose this won't be an issue. Especially if you're comfortable with other shooters.

I hate most other shooters, so the change (among all the other changes) is that bad. The game does not feel at all like BC2. Not at all. It's more a hybrid of BF2 & CoD/MoH. But BC2 is no where to be found in there in the feel of the controls or gameplay.

This of course is only my opinion... but I've played quite a lot of BC2 so I feel like I have a sound basis for comparison.

I'm sure some people are going to just love this game, but I'm going to skip it unless they make drastic changes to the controls. And I think that's doubtful.

Edit: just read this post in one of the other nine million BF3 threads, but I'm seeing this a lot:

excaliburps said:
Just played about 2-3 lives of BF3. Feels different from BC2 to be honest. I am digging it.

So... like I said... if you don't mind them switching up the gameplay from BC2 then hey, you might like it.

Top Bottom