• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
XiaNaphryz said:
Browsing around the web, initial impressions of the patch seem pretty positive.

Now if only we can get the boycotters to finally pick up the Bayonetta goodness. :p

I got the game. The combination of GAF hype and the release of the patch made me get it. I'm at chapter 3 now, and I had to deal with the horrible load times, installing the game now.

border said:
What are the perfumes supposed to do?

They give you special costumes pieces for your weapons.

The costume pieces will only stay on when you have that specific weapon equipped.

You have to activate the perfume in the item menu though.

Chao

What can I say, I'm getting tired of this game. I'm probably at one of the last levels
Cereza is gone and I have to find her
and it's getting tedious for me.
The level art design is SO boring I can't stand it anymore. I feel I'm always on the same place, everything is either black, white, grey or yellow with sprinkles of red from time to time. And when the classic
Capcom gauntlets/boss reusing (even though they're not Capcom anymore)
made appearance it really kicked me on the nuts. I was bored at that point, but now I have to do all this shit again?

The game started really awesome for me, then it started to feel dull, and I don't know if I'm even going to finish it at this point.

You can have my hardcore gamer card, I suposse I failed.

Shuusui

SEGA tweeted this earlier on in the day:

Check out the InDis AV Room video review of Bayonetta: http://tinyurl.com/y9oavou - now they have me all amped to play, nice.

Being bored I checked it out and damn if this isn't a professional-grade video. I've listened to their podcast a few times (they had Shane Bettenhausen on last year) but the video portion has me really excited -- especially since the PS3 version that I'm borrowing now has a patch!

My question is, how the hell do I get those funky costumes? I've been holding the game for three days, but not put more than an hour in yet =(

gogogow said:
I highly doubt it, unless the patch is like a gig in size. So how big is the patch?
If it did improve the textures, SEGA would be pimpin it from the get go.

The entire 2nd pic is just sharpened, even the text is sharper.

A lot of screens have been posted. Anyway, the patch is 150 - 170 megs, I forget the exact size. The install is 4gb+ isn't it? Who knows what they did. I notice the installed version screen in the link has screen tearing in it, though.

DarknessTear said:
Guess I suck at this game! Playing it on normal, I've gotten a lot of Stone Awards. I'm at Chapter VII right now.

Everybody gets Stones in their first runs. You don't get Platinums unless you are really experienced, or GOING for the Platinum awards. Just keep playing.

IF my friends list is anything to go by, the game found it's audience just like I said it would.

Anecdotal, I know, but I really hope this cracks NPD this month.

RuGalz

I can't believe they had to patch in detail texture on PS3 as if someone forgot to include them when the game shipped or something. :lol The load time is much better now that I can go through the game again. Thanks Sony!

RSB

Banned
Mejilan said:
Last night I farmed the chapter vii boss using the Durga exploit until I had enough halos to purchase the Bracelet of Time, at which point I started using the Kilgore exploit on the chapter ii boss.
I went for three sessions of that until I wearied of it, and went from a few thousand halos to 1.5 million, to 6 million, to 14 million. It's so fucking cheap, it's awesome.
Going to do one last time run tonight to bump me over 20 million, which should be all I need to finish cheesing my way to the rest of the unlockables!
Yeah, that glitch is amazing, and very fun to do, actually. Every time I play that level, I always do it, even if I can´t use the money on anything anymore. My personal record is 37 million halos in just one run.

Speaking of records, I've beaten my own personal record on Angel Attack, getting 240 points (my previous record was 235) It could have been even better, but I failed one shot, and missed a Double Kill. Maybe next time...

I´ve already spent over 100 hours on this game. The good thing is that I'm still finding new challenges to overcome, like playing on Hard and Infinite Climax with Jeanne, and getting Pure Platinum on every level with Bayonetta. Maybe one day I'll even try to beat the game with Little Zero on Infinite Climax (now that's hard) This game is so good... and so fun!!! :D

Bye ;)

zoukka

DarknessTear said:
Guess I suck at this game! Playing it on normal, I've gotten a lot of Stone Awards. I'm at Chapter VII right now.

Well even though you don't die and get good scores, the fact that you probably won't find all the fights in the level lowers your score considerably. In fact I don't like that so many fight sections are hidden.

Garcian

Finished it on normal now & am as in love with the game as ever - going to do some Alheims & so on before going back & doing a hard run.

I've been trying the get the platinums on chapter XIV achievement with no joy so far. Keep getting hit :(

EekTheKat

After playing again (PS3 version - stopped after finishing normal, but now I'm doing my hard run), textures look improved in a sense that they look like they're better filtered now.

The shaders seems redone, in a sense that a lot of scenes no longer look as flat as before. Lots of scenes seem to "pop" more. Color/gamma seems to be redone.

Lighting seems better, they've fixed/toned down the semi transparent overlay on a lot of scenes so it doesn't overly blur the image.

Framerate seems about the same/marginally better. Some of the scenes that were problems before are still problems post patch.

The patch really did quite a lot in improving image quality IMHO, I was originally going to only throw an hour into playing it again but wound up playing for like...4 :lol

I think SEGA should release a proper patch to match the game on PS3 to the xbox360 version. Half the people suffer just because they have a PS3 and thats no way to establish a franchise.

zoukka said:
Well even though you don't die and get good scores, the fact that you probably won't find all the fights in the level lowers your score considerably. In fact I don't like that so many fight sections are hidden.

If anything this is the one thing I dislike about Bayonetta's scoring system. In DMC games I'm pretty sure your chapter score wouldn't be penalized if you didn't complete the Secret Missions. I like DMC's system a lot better, with Bayonetta you have to memorize where the hidden stuff is (miss-able too!) all while going fast or you will NOT get a good chapter rank.

Net_Wrecker said:
Put it on Easy or even lower with the accessory that constantly refreshes your magic.

Which accessory is that?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
hey gang, is there a way to download the patch on PC and load it over to the PS3? I don't have connection on my ps3 :(

jetsetfluken said:
If anything this is the one thing I dislike about Bayonetta's scoring system. In DMC games I'm pretty sure your chapter score wouldn't be penalized if you didn't complete the Secret Missions. I like DMC's system a lot better, with Bayonetta you have to memorize where the hidden stuff is (miss-able too!) all while going fast or you will NOT get a good chapter rank.

Which accessory is that?

Play the game the way you want, and if you don't get platinum, WTF cares. That's my motto at least.

suikodan

EekTheKat said:
After playing again (PS3 version - stopped after finishing normal, but now I'm doing my hard run), textures look improved in a sense that they look like they're better filtered now.

The shaders seems redone, in a sense that a lot of scenes no longer look as flat as before. Lots of scenes seem to "pop" more. Color/gamma seems to be redone.

Lighting seems better, they've fixed/toned down the semi transparent overlay on a lot of scenes so it doesn't overly blur the image.

Framerate seems about the same/marginally better. Some of the scenes that were problems before are still problems post patch.

The patch really did quite a lot in improving image quality IMHO, I was originally going to only throw an hour into playing it again but wound up playing for like...4 :lol

^This

I resumed my game after installing the patch, it has been a week or so since I played but I did notice that the graphics were MUCH sharper to the point of saying "Wow ... (what a change)"

Man, I'm playing through the game on normal with Jeanne. It's like playing through on hard with Bayonetta. Really, this game was made for witch time and just doesn't work without it IMHO. I find myself PKP, repeat instead of getting WT and being more creative with my combos.

thundr51

palpabl_purpura said:
Man, I'm playing through the game on normal with Jeanne. It's like playing through on hard with Bayonetta. Really, this game was made for witch time and just doesn't work without it IMHO. I find myself PKP, repeat instead of getting WT and being more creative with my combos.

Yes, Jeanne requires a much different strategy than Bayonetta. I died like 3x on Fortitude last night! With bayo I rolled over him like he wasn't there. :lol

Try to save up a bunch of money to buy the Mahaa-kalaa and either Selene's light or the rosary thing. Or if you've finished 100 chapters you'll get that accessory that allows you to go into WT when you want...then you'll need to save up 500k halos for that... :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
palpabl_purpura said:
There's some vids out there that show it's possible to do long combos without the need for WT, like the first sequence of that strategy guide trailer.

petyvaz

Neo Member
palpabl_purpura said:

Dodge offset is your friend here.

I use it a lot to push bigger combos to the crowd.

XiaNaphryz said:
There's some vids out there that show it's possible to do long combos without the need for WT, like the first sequence of that strategy guide trailer.

No, I have no problem doing long combos without WT, it's just that with guys like Grace and Glory, or their big brothers, you can't really put those strings together. They have combo breaker, and super armor, plus if you manage to get one in the air, the other will just attack you. Without WT, I just have to keep everything short and sweet because there's no way to slow down the enemy. There will either break the combo without WT, will use super armor to trade blows with you.

This patch is awesome by the way. I played it before the patch for 3 chapters and then waited for the patch to come out and WOW it's so much easier to play now. I can't imagine beating the entire game before the patch. Just... ew. The highest award I got is Silver... boo. D:

petyvaz said:
Dodge offset is your friend here.

I use it a lot to push bigger combos to the crowd.

Crowds not a problem. The problem is when two enemies like G and G. Multiple Ardors in a small area is bad as well as they will spam sword combos. And the beads suck with Jeanne. In order to get the bomb, you must activate the bat within.

After not knowing who to be mad at regarding the awful port :lol i'm ready to buy this game for the ps3, so could someone who has that version let me know if it's worth buying.

LiK

Solid_Rain said:
After not knowing who to be mad at regarding the awful port :lol i'm ready to buy this game for the ps3, so could someone who has that version let me know if it's worth buying.
I'll be comparing the 360 ver to the patched PS3 port when I have time. Should be fun. Lord knows how much I hated it before the patch.

Solid_Rain said:

just buy it, there is no reason to skip on bayonetta, doesn't matter if we're talking before or after the patch.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm, after putting 30 hours on the clock and getting 40 of the 50 achievements (way more than I thought I'd get), I think it's time to set Bayonetta aside for a few months.

But now I find myself itching to replay the DMC series... or at least 1, 3, and 4.

Canova

Banned
Picked up a copy of this game during lunch.

Still don't know what to expect. Not too big about combo-galore action game. I still much prefer Ninja Gaiden kinda action, fast, straight-forward, kill or be killed, no fancy-pancy combo.

Speaking about Ninja Gaiden (Itagaki's version), I think it's the very top of the action genre. The action is un-equaled, fast, heart-pumping, non-stop action. Sad thing is, other developers are more interested in imitating DMC or GOW kinda actions. OR maybe they're just incapable of creating something similar to that of Ninja Gaiden (Itagaki's version)

ok don't hate on me.... i played the xbox version for the first time today... it really put the ps3 version into sharp relief as being rather shit... i was horrified at how different they are a

Dreavus

palpabl_purpura said:
No, I have no problem doing long combos without WT, it's just that with guys like Grace and Glory, or their big brothers, you can't really put those strings together. They have combo breaker, and super armor, plus if you manage to get one in the air, the other will just attack you. Without WT, I just have to keep everything short and sweet because there's no way to slow down the enemy. There will either break the combo without WT, will use super armor to trade blows with you.

This has been true for me as well. I'm playing through on hard at the moment, and Gracious and Glorious just refuse to be comboed. That huge string that they pull off on the Ardor at the beginning of this video just doesn't work on these guys; they either flip out of it, or the other one comes in for a swipe.

Top Bottom