• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Fugu

pmj said:
I watched them all. I regret not skipping them. The story is incomprehensible.

Aside from the story and a few other things, I really liked this game, but as someone who is new to the genre and not and not good enough to play it on Hard, is there anything else that should be done or am I done with the game?

The items you can buy all seem entirely useless and there are no achievements for getting them from what I see, so is there a point? Hard is, as I said, out of reach, getting anything but stone is as well, and finishing the game in less than 3 hours is never gonna happen either. It even counts time you spend at the menu where you can select to play, save or go to Gates of Hell, so I don't know how that's even supposed to work.
The three hour limit only counts the time you spend on verses. It doesn't count time spent walking between verses, or time spent in the menu, or anything else that's not actually gameplay.

Hard isn't that hard; skip the prologue because for some reason it's bizarrely difficult compared to what comes after it. If you can beat normal, you should at least be able to get through the first third of hard. A few weapons and the Moon have challenges, as well.

pmj

Fugu said:
The three hour limit only counts the time you spend on verses. It doesn't count time spent walking between verses, or time spent in the menu, or anything else that's not actually gameplay.

Hard isn't that hard; skip the prologue because for some reason it's bizarrely difficult compared to what comes after it. If you can beat normal, you should at least be able to get through the first third of hard. A few weapons and the Moon have challenges, as well.

Thanks. Fighting an army of Grace and Glory (?) in the first chapter led me to believe that it would ramp up from that. God I hate those enemies. But me beating normal was with all stone awards aside from the first and last chapter and usually 10+ continues so it doesn't actually say anything about my skill at the game.

Llyranor

pmj said:
Thanks. Fighting an army of Grace and Glory (?) in the first chapter led me to believe that it would ramp up from that. God I hate those enemies. But me beating normal was with all stone awards aside from the first and last chapter and usually 10+ continues so it doesn't actually say anything about my skill at the game.
I finished the game on normal with almost all stone awards, and 5-10+ deaths per level for the most part. I immediately started the game again on hard (you can just load up your last save to play in NewGame+ and retain all your equipment).

It is a steep learning curve, especially the prologue, but it's very doable. The game doesn't get progressively harder; it just maintains a fairly constant challenge. I'm starting to really appreciate hard mode; really makes you learn the little ins and outs of the combat mechanics. Dodge offset, parries, more efficient use of Witch Time, different utilities of different accessories depending on circumstance, figuring out which weapon combos work best in which situations, etc. I'm still earning stone awards everywhere, but man is it satisfying to win some of those fights. If you like a good challenge, you should definitely try it. I used to find the fights against Grace and Glory (and whatever those who prevent Witch Time are) really challenging, but now I can handle them pretty well (not easily, but at certainly at a level where I feel pretty awesome when I defeat them).

Stone award winners unite!

pmj

I might get back to Hard if I feel confident enough after playing some more on Normal. I really need to practice dodge offset. I can do it on the practice screen and on easy enemies, but many enemies attack so fast that the dodge is never planned and I lose the combo. It's not that big of an issue though; I only use the sword and PKP does good damage, has good range and comes out quickly enough that it can be spammed with success. PP.K is another quick and good one. The only thing hurting are my combo scores.

But man, the game is really punishing when you take damage and miss verses. It's disheartening to see a bunch of silver, some gold and a platinum and get a stone for the total anyway. And with that Enzo sound playing, it's like they're mocking you. I'd have been much happier with no award at all if you don't do well enough.

About witch time, it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it lasts something like two seconds and other times much longer, even in the same fight against the same enemy. Is it random or decided by your timing with the dodge? Or maybe by the type of attack you dodge? I could never figure that out.

Witch time is just based on the type of attack you dodge. It might be based on the damage of the attack, a fixed value assigned to every attack, or a modifier based on enemy type. I believe the only way to get increased witch time from an attack is to bat within or counter.

Man, this game (as well as Uncharted 2) has really ruined my expectations for games. Everything I play I just think about the amazing combat system in Bayonetta, the amount of depth of moves and equipment and really just nothing comes close. I'm playing NMH2 right now, and really going from Bayonetta's silky smooth combat to NMH's is not fair. Oh and I went back and played some NG and GOW after beating Bayo, the core gameplay of Bayo is just too damn strong. Damn you Kamiya!

gogogow

Just finished the game. Definitely one of the best action games i've played. Only, I have no idea what the story is about :lol

pmj

Scythesurge said:
Man, this game (as well as Uncharted 2) has really ruined my expectations for games. Everything I play I just think about the amazing combat system in Bayonetta, the amount of depth of moves and equipment and really just nothing comes close. I'm playing NMH2 right now, and really going from Bayonetta's silky smooth combat to NMH's is not fair. Oh and I went back and played some NG and GOW after beating Bayo, the core gameplay of Bayo is just too damn strong. Damn you Kamiya!
I thought Bayonetta was great but it has a number of glaring flaws that could be fixed in a sequel, or even done right from the start in another game by another developer. I wouldn't know about NMH and GOW though as I've never played anything else in this genre.

Too much to hope for?

pmj said:
I thought Bayonetta was great but it has a number of glaring flaws that could be fixed in a sequel, or even done right from the start in another game by another developer. I wouldn't know about NMH and GOW though as I've never played anything else in this genre.

Too much to hope for?

What exactly are these glaring flaws.

pmj said:
I might get back to Hard if I feel confident enough after playing some more on Normal. I really need to practice dodge offset. I can do it on the practice screen and on easy enemies, but many enemies attack so fast that the dodge is never planned and I lose the combo. It's not that big of an issue though; I only use the sword and PKP does good damage, has good range and comes out quickly enough that it can be spammed with success. PP.K is another quick and good one. The only thing hurting are my combo scores.

But man, the game is really punishing when you take damage and miss verses. It's disheartening to see a bunch of silver, some gold and a platinum and get a stone for the total anyway. And with that Enzo sound playing, it's like they're mocking you. I'd have been much happier with no award at all if you don't do well enough.

About witch time, it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it lasts something like two seconds and other times much longer, even in the same fight against the same enemy. Is it random or decided by your timing with the dodge? Or maybe by the type of attack you dodge? I could never figure that out.

That's one criticism I have with the game is that it punishes you for not playing the game a certain way. If PKP works for you, you shouldn't be penalized for this. I agree that you shouldn't be able to get PP when using items, but to count item use as death (even purple lolly pops) is a bit extreme. I just play the game the way I want, try to take as little damage as possible, and use whatever stragegy I feel works best. Just ignore stone, bronze, gold, etc. That would be my advice to you.

As for witch time, yeah, the game sometimes cheats you out of witch time. I don't know why, but especially with the Selene's Light assessory, WT can only last 2 seconds.

remz

my little brother just pressed YYYYYYY (the combo with the stabs ending in a huge slash) through the whole game and was getting platinum combo scores every verse. :S

palpabl_purpura said:
I agree that you shouldn't be able to get PP when using items, but to count item use as death (even purple lolly pops) is a bit extreme.

What do you mean? You say it's okay that using items lowers your rank, but then you say it shouldn't lower your rank? If items didn't lower your rank, it'd be too easy to get good ranks.

As for witch time, yeah, the game sometimes cheats you out of witch time. I don't know why, but especially with the Selene's Light assessory, WT can only last 2 seconds.

That makes sense. After all, you shouldn't get just as much WT for getting hit as you would for dodging properly.

palpabl_purpura said:

1) Selene's Light uses up magic, with no magic you will only get 2 seconds of witch time.

2) Witch time lasts longer if you are using combos on enemies.

dewm tew

Banned
Scythesurge said:

how good are you at ninja gaiden?

the fun factor raises exponentially with skill

Scythesurge said:

just spent a couple hours with bayo after not having played it for most of a month. &, yeah, it's definitely a very special game, in a zone of it's own :) (&, yes, the new install option seems to've noticeably improved the ps3 version)...

remz said:
my little brother just pressed YYYYYYY (the combo with the stabs ending in a huge slash) through the whole game and was getting platinum combo scores every verse. :S

Yeah, I can do a really sick juggle or stuff that requires alot of skill and get less combo points than just pressing punch over and over. The scoring system in the game is one of it's few faults.

remz

palpabl_purpura said:
Yeah, I can do a really sick juggle or stuff that requires alot of skill and get less combo points than just pressing punch over and over. The scoring system in the game is one of it's few faults.
Haha yeah, exactly! I was pretty shattered that he was beating my scores without even trying other shit out. He didn't even know he could change weapons with L, and forgot hwo to equip stuff after using the sword for so long

I just can't work the combo scoring out at all. I realise using the same moves over and over loves the point value, but when I mix stuff up I still seem to only get 1 point per hit. I can't figure out how the multiplier and shit like that works. I want an awesome score damnit!

remz

Fimbulvetr said:
Really?

I consistently get platinum combos with the occasional gold and I switch weapons a lot.
Maybe I don't switch weapons enough? I dunno sometimes I play and i can't seem to score worth shit. other times it goes through the roof. I just would've liked there to be a little guide to it or something

Don't rely on charge attacks too much(unless using any guns, the whip, or the ice skates), they kill too quickly for less points than using smaller weaker attacks. It's best to use them when an enemy is nearly dead.

Wait til an enemy is nearly dead before using torture attacks.

Attacks gain more points in witch time, attacks gain more points when enemies are enraged.

JEKKI

yo this gaze of despair item is broken as hell.

ever since that whole out of body alfheim fiasco, I have never taken it off...

prior to it, I really had to struggle to get platinum combo scores.

now with gaze of despair, it feels like I get them for free o_O

Llyranor

Heh, just finished hard and instantly started a non-stop climax playthrough. It's not often I play a game 3 times in a row. Then I'll need to do the speed and platinum runs, and do all the alfheims.

Finished the game. It's only after Chapter 6-7 that I started using the dodge. With that I was able to do some great combos and survive longer. This game is the DMC3 spiritual successor in my opinion.

Truespeed

Has there been any analysis on what the PS3 patch actually fixes besides removing 5GB of space from your HDD? Did they fix anything else or was this just a quick pump and dump?

I could swear that the game doesn't look as washed out in some areas (the
Fortitudo
intro comes to mind, I thought that certain shots looked washed out there but they look better now) but that could be a placebo effect. I'm sure the framerate isn't any better, though I would like someone to prove me wrong (I know the problem areas are still just as bad).

Truespeed said:
Has there been any analysis on what the PS3 patch actually fixes besides removing 5GB of space from your HDD? Did they fix anything else or was this just a quick pump and dump?

I know the game loads way way faster, some say the graphics are a bit improved, I don't know what else. It's a great patch though. The install should be mandatory. Everyone should thank Sony for making Sega not look any worse than they already do.

I am a bit surprised that Sony made a patch for the game, though.

JEKKI said:
yo this gaze of despair item is broken as hell.

ever since that whole out of body alfheim fiasco, I have never taken it off...

prior to it, I really had to struggle to get platinum combo scores.

now with gaze of despair, it feels like I get them for free o_O

I thought gaze would assure me platinum, but after a couple of "no damage" silvers, I asked my self, "Why am I wasting an assessory slot for this damn thing.?"

LiK

DarknessTear said:
I know the game loads way way faster, some say the graphics are a bit improved, I don't know what else. It's a great patch though. The install should be mandatory. Everyone should thank Sony for making Sega not look any worse than they already do.

I am a bit surprised that Sony made a patch for the game, though.

considering the bad word of mouth from the press and reviews for the shoddy port, i can see why this patch was needed if they were able to fix the issues.

i don't think a mandatory install is required but an optional one should've been there. some people here actually didn't have issues with the ridiculous loading times. go figure.

johnyqd

PS3 specific question:

How do I check my score info on a level? The only way I've been able to get the saved score breakdown is by re-beating the level and looking at the comparison.

Dreavus

johnyqd said:
PS3 specific question:

How do I check my score info on a level? The only way I've been able to get the saved score breakdown is by re-beating the level and looking at the comparison.

You should be able to hit R1 on the "level select" screen (where you have the option of starting the stage, visiting the Gates of Hell, or saving) to bring up a menu. One of the options on there should be "play history".

I'm not quite sure if it's there from the get-go; I never bothered checking my scores until after I beat the game. If you don't see it on there you may have to finish the game first.

pmj

IcebergSlim3000 said:
What exactly are these glaring flaws.
A bit late, but story, overly long cutscenes, QTEs, some technical issues like screen tearing, a few spots of confusing level design that took me some trial and error to get through, enemies that attack the instant a cutscene ends, occasionally wonky camera, buggy Outrun stage and much too long After Burner stage. That's a few things.

My only other experience with the genre are the demos of DMC4, NG2 and Dante's Inferno, neither of which managed to grab me, and I still really liked Bayonetta. But as good as it is, a sequel could be much better if they threw out the bad and gave us more of the good. I think they can do it and I very much looking forward to it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fugu said:
I thought the three hour limit only counts your overall time, which is the chapter times added up? Note that chapter time is NOT just the verses added up - it counts the time in-between as well.

johnyqd

Dreavus said:
You should be able to hit R1 on the "level select" screen (where you have the option of starting the stage, visiting the Gates of Hell, or saving) to bring up a menu. One of the options on there should be "play history".

I'm not quite sure if it's there from the get-go; I never bothered checking my scores until after I beat the game. If you don't see it on there you may have to finish the game first.

Thanks, I'll double check when I get home, but I don't think it's there. I bet it just doesn't show up until I beat the game.

goldenpp72

johnyqd said:
Thanks, I'll double check when I get home, but I don't think it's there. I bet it just doesn't show up until I beat the game.

I believe play history is only available once you win the game one time.

Llyranor

You buy that 200,000 accessory first, then nullify attack if you L stick in the direction of incoming attacks at the right time. It's awesome.

iratA

OMG what a game! What an ending!! :lol I just finished this tonight and I'm pretty wowed by it all tbh. Clearly one of the best action games ever made. This was a labour of love by its makers that much is certain.

Initially I wasn't confident I'd really like this game. The Jazz music and some other stylistic choices didn't really sit well with me. But the whole thing just kind of came together for me in the final chapters and I just ended up falling in love with its insane action and style. Yup I'm a convert.

So yeah those that aren't feeling this game at the start should definately stick with it. The final chapters and cinematics, do a really good of making the game feel like a more well rounded whole, rather than a string of seperate insane action set pieces.

But yeah this game has got the goods.

zoukka

I hate everything that doesn't include me controlling Bayonetta and killing things. I hate riding missiles, driving motorcycles, smashing buttons like crazy and watching cut-scenes. And most of all the story. It's worse than anything DMC ever cooked and I hate the characters. Jeanne is the most boring villain ever and when you beat her.... really Capcom? Don't get me started with the douche and the mummified brat. Or the cut-scenes with static assets :lol

Such a shame the meat of this game is hidden under a thick blobby pile of shitfat.

/end vent

Played "the lost Holy Grounds" on NSC with Jeanne today. Unfortunately, while the enemies are more agressive, the experience is somewhat marred by extreme damage modification. Will be playing on normal from now on.

Dave1988

zoukka said:
I hate everything that doesn't include me controlling Bayonetta and killing things. I hate riding missiles, driving motorcycles, smashing buttons like crazy and watching cut-scenes. And most of all the story. It's worse than anything DMC ever cooked and I hate the characters. Jeanne is the most boring villain ever and when you beat her.... really Capcom? Don't get me started with the douche and the mummified brat. Or the cut-scenes with static assets :lol

Such a shame the meat of this game is hidden under a thick blobby pile of shitfat.

/end vent

Really...really??

smh

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Scythesurge said:

I'd say that when it comes to variety in weapons and combos, Bayonetta really pales in comparison to Ninja Gaiden 2.

The weapons in Bayonetta are really disappointing. I was hoping that each one would have their own move lists, but they felt too similar to me.

ravien56

So playing 360 version, on infinite climax mode, loving this game but one thing I cannot do is Dodge Offsets. I think it may be the controller or maybe I just suck but whenever I try doing it, I'll be dodging then I'll accidently hold down the RT instead of the Y button or whatever. Any tips?

Llyranor

I think it's the timing. You need to press the attack button BEFORE you press dodge. Takes a split second to do anyhow, but you have to actively think about pressing the attack first.

Top Bottom