• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

border

It looks like the strategy guide has been pushed back to February 15:

http://www.future-press.com/index.php?book=102&skip=0

I'm starting to get the sinking feeling it will never be released though, despite the awesome trailer and all the work that went into it. It would appear that they have cancelled the softcover version, and all that's available now is the Collector's Edition Hardcover.

gogogow

Can someone with the PS3 version maybe check the leaderboards to see how many players there are? Just check the one with the most players. I checked the leaderboards of the 360 version and there are at least 158k players. I take it the leaderboards consists of JP, US and EU players.

tirminyl

Something may be wrong with me mentally, but I cannot assign items to my dpad on the 360. It says to hold down 1 of 3 directional buttons to assign but if I do so it moves the item wheel. Please tell me I am missing something obvious :lol

So yea, I sent my copy back. All the cutscenes just butchered my interest when I'm looking for something I can just pick up and play right now. They weren't so much stylish and over the top as impact-less and overly long. Also I remembered how much I loathe having to buy combos in action games.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll pick it up later. Worries me though for this game's livelihood if I couldn't enjoy it immediately even while being so predisposed.

border said:
It looks like the strategy guide has been pushed back to February 15:

http://www.future-press.com/index.php?book=102&skip=0

I'm starting to get the sinking feeling it will never be released though, despite the awesome trailer and all the work that went into it. It would appear that they have cancelled the softcover version, and all that's available now is the Collector's Edition Hardcover.

Not surprising. It looks more like a vanity project to show off combos than a useful guide with solid strategies that don't require you to juggle an Ardor for 30+ seconds. Any game mechanics information can already be found in the Japanese Climax Bible.

border

mjemirzian said:
It looks more like a vanity project to show off combos than a useful guide with solid strategies that don't require you to juggle an Ardor for 30+ seconds.

What brought you to that conclusion? Other than one extended juggle in the trailer?

Any game mechanics information can already be found in the Japanese Climax Bible.

Step 1: Become fluent in Japanese
Step 2: Beat Bayonetta

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Son of Godzilla said:
So yea, I sent my copy back. All the cutscenes just butchered my interest when I'm looking for something I can just pick up and play right now. They weren't so much stylish and over the top as impact-less and overly long. Also I remembered how much I loathe having to buy combos in action games.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll pick it up later. Worries me though for this game's livelihood if I couldn't enjoy it immediately even while being so predisposed.
skip the cutscenes?

Roto13

gogogow said:
Can someone with the PS3 version maybe check the leaderboards to see how many players there are? Just check the one with the most players. I checked the leaderboards of the 360 version and there are at least 158k players. I take it the leaderboards consists of JP, US and EU players.
I don't think the leaderboards actually work in the PS3 version. :p

Canova

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

same here.

the cutscenes are so cheesy and annoying in the beginning. Lost my interest already.

After Darksiders, which is straight to the point, this game feels like it's trying too hard

Son of Godzilla said:

1) Skip cutscenes.

2) You don't buy combos, you buy moves that make combos and the chaining of combos more convenient.

NinjaFusion said:
ok don't hate on me.... i played the xbox version for the first time today... it really put the ps3 version into sharp relief as being rather shit... i was horrified at how different they are a

You could at least make trolling less obvious

Ledsen

Son of Godzilla said:

You don't buy combos, you buy a few moves, that's all.

Truespeed

Unregistered007 said:
I think SEGA should release a proper patch to match the game on PS3 to the xbox360 version. Half the people suffer just because they have a PS3 and thats no way to establish a franchise.

The patch you're asking for would be over 6 GB in size.

Dreavus

palpabl_purpura said:
Finished the game on normal with Jeanne. She seems to take more damage than Bayonetta per hit, and the lack of WT/effective beads sucked.

I haven't quite unlocked Jeanne yet, but I'm curious... what happens for cutscenes? Do they all get skipped automatically or does it end up showing Bayonetta? I can't imagine them rewriting lines just for an alternate character.

Dreavus said:
I haven't quite unlocked Jeanne yet, but I'm curious... what happens for cutscenes? Do they all get skipped automatically or does it end up showing Bayonetta? I can't imagine them rewriting lines just for an alternate character.

Bayoneta's character model is switched out with Jeanne for cutscenes too.

KongRudi

Banned
Roto13 said:

Didn't work for me either. I tought that perhaps the servers were down the two days I used to play the game. :-/
But maybe that is a difference between a game converted, and a game ported to a console. :p Stuff like that won't work.

PS3-version had it's issues, but it probably were a good idea to release the game that early, in the relatively open game-window in January compared to the more crowded feb/march. :)
That way it wouldn't compete as much with games like MAG, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, God of War, FF13, and they probably worried about japan GT5-release wich were delayed aswell. :)

gogogow

Roto13 said:
:( That's too bad.

Anyway, I just installed Bayonetta Xbox 360 version to the HDD. Loading a chapter:
With Install - 6 seconds
Without Install - 15 seconds

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fimbulvetr said:
Bayoneta's character model is switched out with Jeanne for cutscenes too.

Is it the same as Zero where she's just put in her idle animation during the still frame cutscenes? :lol

Shito

gogogow said:
Anyway, I just installed Bayonetta Xbox 360 version to the HDD. Loading a chapter:
With Install - 6 seconds
Without Install - 15 seconds
Yup, but be careful with that: it worsens the framerate and tearing problems.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I started up the game last night. Fucking awesome! It's definitely a lot like DMC, except more linear. There seems to be more emphasis on combat than exploration in this game. I just finished the
fight against the first main boss, Fortitude. That was one incredible battle.
I can't wait to continue my journey! How long is this game, btw? For instance, how much further in the game do I have to go based on the spoiler I just mentioned?

Shito said:
Yup, but be careful with that: it worsens the framerate and tearing problems.

av12812_0.gif

Thankyou

LMAO

RSB said:
Yeah, that glitch is amazing, and very fun to do, actually. Every time I play that level, I always do it, even if I can´t use the money on anything anymore. My personal record is 37 million halos in just one run.

Speaking of records, I've beaten my own personal record on Angel Attack, getting 240 points (my previous record was 235) It could have been even better, but I failed one shot, and missed a Double Kill. Maybe next time...

I´ve already spent over 100 hours on this game. The good thing is that I'm still finding new challenges to overcome, like playing on Hard and Infinite Climax with Jeanne, and getting Pure Platinum on every level with Bayonetta. Maybe one day I'll even try to beat the game with Little Zero on Infinite Climax (now that's hard) This game is so good... and so fun!!! :D

Bye ;)

It's easily among the best games of this generation, and has surpassed Ninja Gaiden Sigma as my favourite of its respective genre. So yeah, I definetely agree with your sentiments, and I'm probably going to pour over hundred hours into it as well.

border said:
What brought you to that conclusion? Other than one extended juggle in the trailer?

Step 1: Become fluent in Japanese

The whole trailer is him beating up weak angels with combos. The one time he fights jeanne he is not playing on climax mode, because WT activates. Seems to be high on flashy combos and low on practical advice for climax mode or PPs.

You don't have to be fluent in japanese, just use google translate on the bayonetta japanese wiki and you can get most of the info from the book.

border

mjemirzian said:
The whole trailer is him beating up weak angels with combos. The one time he fights jeanne he is not playing on climax mode, because WT activates. Seems to be high on flashy combos and low on practical advice for climax mode or PPs.

So you really think it's 440 pages of "How to beat up weak angels"? Exactly how much practical advice would you like them to include in a trailer? :lol It's a bunch of flashy stuff because that's what grabs people's attention. I'm not saying it'll be the ultimate resource, but it's gotta be better than coughing up $50 for a strategy guide in Japanese.

You don't have to be fluent in japanese, just use google translate on the bayonetta japanese wiki and you can get most of the info from the book.

State that is provocative but always in combination with Dineta stars because it does not provoke the course actually meaningless.
Angel of the state to take anger multiplier combo bonus, earning best play. It is not necessary to be equipped.

During the attack or combo, the reservoir of Iaido, punished, moderate rigidity Daddji five times, you can even disable the attack was apparently incapacitated state.

Step 1: Learn Engrish

If reading some shit translation on the internet suits you that's fine, but the reason people buy strategy guides is because they aren't satisfied with that sort of thing.

Canova

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
It's easily among the best games of this generation, and has surpassed Ninja Gaiden Sigma as my favourite of its respective genre. So yeah, I definetely agree with your sentiments, and I'm probably going to pour over hundred hours into it as well.

:lol

you've gotta to be joking. I don't know what exactly so excellent about this game. I'm on chapter 7. I'm gonna take a break from it and back to get all my GOW2 trophies

About this game:

- I skipped all the cutscenes, they're all too long, cheesy, and annoying. I have no freaking clue what the story is all about. Before you said story don't matter, then why there are so many goddamn cheesy cutscenes. Heck even if I want to skip them, I have to push 3 buttons, is there any faster way to skip the cutscenes?

- combat? what's new about the combat? witch time, big deal? if the controller has better button configuration maybe, why the heck did they put dodging in R2 and lock on R1?

- Art direction, level design? horrible! no explanation needed

- Bayonetta is annoying bitch. They tried to hard to make her a female Dante.

The only thing I like is the enemies, there are many sub-bosses fights. The rest of the game is very much forgettable, nothing new, nothing original.

NG, DMC, and GOW are much much better game than this wannabe

canova said:

you've gotta to be joking. I don't know what exactly so excellent about this game. I'm on chapter 7. I'm gonna take a break from it and back to get all my GOW2 trophies

About this game:

- I skipped all the cutscenes, they're all too long, cheesy, and annoying. I have no freaking clue what the story is all about. Before you said story don't matter, then why there are so many goddamn cheesy cutscenes. Heck even if I want to skip them, I have to push 3 buttons, is there any faster way to skip the cutscenes?

- combat? what's new about the combat? witch time, big deal? if the controller has better button configuration maybe, why the heck did they put dodging in R2 and lock on R1?

The only thing I like is the enemies, there are many sub-bosses fights. The rest of the game is very much forgettable, nothing new, nothing original.

Sorry you didn't like the game, but I keep on coming back to Bayonetta. You can quickly skip cutscenes on PS3 by holding L2+R2+select. If witch time isn't your deal, then play without, and try different weapons to mix up the experience. If you don't like playing as Bayonetta, then you should unlock Jeanne. She's much cooler than Bayo.

BTW, any strategies on Jeanne vs 3 Kinships? I PP it once because I got lucky with the bat within. Is there a way to consistently beat them without TBW?

Pimpbaa

canova said:

About this game:

No YOU gotta be joking.

Llyranor

canova said:
The depth of the combat system has little to do with Witch Time. It's nice and it works, but if anything, it's the least innovative addition to the mechanics.

Dave1988

canova said:
I have no freaking clue what the story is all about.

Yeah, it's kinda hard for a story to make sense when:

canova said:
- I skipped all the cutscenes, they're all too long, cheesy, and annoying.

canova said:
Heck even if I want to skip them, I have to push 3 buttons, is there any faster way to skip the cutscenes?

R2+Select is three buttons now?

canova said:

I'd say the single most important innovation is Dodge Offset, but I'm sure you don't even know what it is or how to perform it.

canova said:

No, please do explain.

I won't even bother with the rest of your post.

LowParry

I went through the game. And in the end, with other people's reactions to being good, why? The game overall was very "meh" like DMC4 was. Maybe a Bayonetta 2 will change that but still, I don't get the excitement for this game. I really enjoyed the combat but that was about it.

Zeliard

canova said:

you've gotta to be joking. I don't know what exactly so excellent about this game. I'm on chapter 7. I'm gonna take a break from it and back to get all my GOW2 trophies.

It's almost like satire.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
canova said:

About this game:

-You skip the cutscenes yet complain the story makes no sense? It's impossible to understand the story in any game you skip cutscenes on, no shit. They do start off way longer than I'd like, but they really die around chapter 3-4 and don't show up much until the end. The plot isn't really hard to understand, it just starts confusing. The story doesn't matter in these games(DMC, NG, etc), GoW is the only one with a decent attempt but the gameplay of that isn't near the rest. Back + R2 skips them instantly.

-Dodge offset is huge and allows you to maintain combos with breaks in between, every single thing is cancleable which is a bold move, and the entire set up of combos makes it easy to pick up with any weapon but incredibly hard to master. All the accessories do nothing but compound on the crazy depth there is. What's wrong with the dodge/lockon setup? Tip: Lockon is useless and never ever needs use.

-The art/level design looked really cool to me in later levels, but it's all subjective here anyway.

-See above.

It's not a game for everyone, but holy crap at the combat gripe especially. You don't even explain anything regarding it, just say "So what?" and mention the dodge/lockon buttons for some reason.

scently

I just finished the game.
My impression is that its a very good game, I particularly like the witch time.
That said, I am returning it tomorrow. Its not the kind of game that i will ever play again.
Next stop, Mass effect 2.

pmj

Dave1988 said:
Yeah, it's kinda hard for a story to make sense when:
I watched them all. I regret not skipping them. The story is incomprehensible.

Aside from the story and a few other things, I really liked this game, but as someone who is new to the genre and not and not good enough to play it on Hard, is there anything else that should be done or am I done with the game?

The items you can buy all seem entirely useless and there are no achievements for getting them from what I see, so is there a point? Hard is, as I said, out of reach, getting anything but stone is as well, and finishing the game in less than 3 hours is never gonna happen either. It even counts time you spend at the menu where you can select to play, save or go to Gates of Hell, so I don't know how that's even supposed to work.

pmj

viewtiful_dru said:
um you need the Moon of Maha Kalaa to get some achievements, get cracking.
I knew I shouldn't have wasted my reward for finishing the game on costumes. Get cracking I will, it shouldn't take that long.

Canova

Banned
border said:
Barely 1/3 of the way through the game in normal mode

well then fuck me, I don't think I want to put up with another 2/3 of this non-sense. Maybe I'll come back later when my game queue is empty, but right now I have a few more interesting games to spend my time on.

I won't crap this thread anymore, I voiced my opinion and that's that

Natural

With the Gaze of Despair equipped - do you earn more points/halos when defeating the 'enraged' enemies as opposed to not having it equipped?

Top Bottom