• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BaronLundi said:
And... it's back to third party sellers only with outrageous prices.

So, does that mean it was a mistake? I put down an order.

Veelk

Banned
Hello,

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item:

Future Press "Bayonetta: The Official Guide, Limited Collector's Edition"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3869930039/

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #203-8883124-5236326 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

:'(

i always get my butt kicked by the secret boss. It's so annoying. He's kinda OP. The final boss was kinda hard too, but man the end sequence was so over the top awesome and the BGM too.

Frankfurt

Banned
So, so late, but anyone else kinda has a love/hate relationship with this game?

I've finished the game on normal, and it was a breezy run... But there was just some stuff that made me shake my head in dissapointment.

+ Besides the character designs, the game is gorgeous.
- The writing is incredibly mediocre. It tries to go for a tongue-in-cheek feel but it falls so, so flat. It's like Shoot-em-Up or Smokin' Aces or some weird Uwe Boll action comedy (have you seen an Uwe Boll attempt at comedy?). They need to watch Evil Dead 2 or any real action with fun and comedic tones some day. The same exact ideas and even scenes could've been pulled off with some rewrites.
+ Controls are smooth as butter...
- ... except when it comes to launchers (who thought holding back in a game this fast, where you fight multiple enemies, with auto aim no less, would be a good idea? if any enemy even walk one feet to the side, the launcher doesn't come out, as it's no longer "back")
+ Replay value (outside of bosses, which are just way too boring)
- Bayonetta is a wild, fun chick... that doesn't actually seems to have any fun outside of random dance scenes - she's an amnesic Jason Bourne deciding to dance then being all sad the very next scene.
+ QTEs are short and have smooth transitions.
- The camera... oh God, the camera. 80% of the cast is 3 times faster than the camera.
+ The bosses should've been the Challenges. They're way more fun and creative to fight.
- Off-screen projectiles.
+ Lots of post-ending stuff.
- All the characters are clichés, and not in a RE way. In a FFXIII way.
- Boring boss fights. When the average enemies are so fun to fight, why have the bosses to be so dull? Even thought the bosses are short and easy, they're still way too boring, it's the most bored i've been doing something so short.
- Journal pages add nothing to the game. It actually only supports the somber, undercooked side of the game, which makes everything feel like a Uwe Boll movie.
- I spent 90 minutes practicing combos my first time with the game... only to find out that you only need two or three combos max (on normal, at least - one on the ground, and the other two in case you choose to launch, which you never need to). It's like having a fighting game with 400 moves where you can beat 90% of players by pressing one button.
- Panther mode is useless outside of opening two doors. In fact, it guarantees the camera will lose you.

Amazon... What you're doing to us...

QMfFc.gif

Veelk

Banned
Frankfurt said:
- Bayonetta is a wild, fun chick... that doesn't actually seems to have any fun outside of random dance scenes - she's an amnesic Jason Bourne deciding to dance then being all sad the very next scene.

The hell? At most, she's serious when she is confused, but otherwise she is teasing the enemies and essentially playing with them the entire time before she kills them.

- The camera... oh God, the camera. 80% of the cast is 3 times faster than the camera.

Camera is hard to do in an action game, and trust me when this is seriously the best camera I've ever seen in an action game.

- Off-screen projectiles.

You may see an enemy charging up from the side of the screen before leaving it, but they never attack you when you don't have the camera on them while they charge up. And you also have sound cues you can listen for.

- Journal pages add nothing to the game. It actually only supports the somber, undercooked side of the game, which makes everything feel like a Uwe Boll movie.

I think your taking the story way too seriously.

- I spent 90 minutes practicing combos my first time with the game... only to find out that you only need two or three combos max (on normal, at least - one on the ground, and the other two in case you choose to launch, which you never need to). It's like having a fighting game with 400 moves where you can beat 90% of players by pressing one button.

Wrong way to play the game. It's a common misconception that to be deep, action games need to require all sorts of moves to win, but this is untrue. The opposite is true in fact, an action game is deep when you can play a game with any way you so choose, but it provides a different experience nonetheless. Anyone can beat bayonetta, sure, but can you master it? Did you get all pure platniums for your simple combos? Can you do stuff like this? If not, then you're doing it wrong.

- Panther mode is useless outside of opening two doors. In fact, it guarantees the camera will lose you.

This is just flat out wrong. I and many others use panther mode all the time and maintain control. And it also keeps your dodge offset so you can get to an enemy long distance and keep it going. It's one of the most useful moves in the game.

Generic said:
This is just flat out wrong. I and many others use panther mode all the time and maintain control. And it also keeps your dodge offset so you can get to an enemy long distance and keep it going. It's one of the most useful moves in the game.
Panther Dodge offset is a fucking beast.

I always use panther, but it's almost always by pure accident :/. I really want a sequel. I liked Bayonetta she was a awesome and kicked so much butt.

mudkyp

I feel like a complete fanboy with this game. Anytime someone says something slightly critical I want to flip out and yell 'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE GENIUS'. But I'm a rational person, Bayonetta isn't for anyone. And people who don't like Bayonetta are people who hate fun.

ace3skoot

Hey guys and girls, playing PS3 version, and loving the theme and style. First off the controls are heavenly, really tight and well thought out, also the panther transformation stop me spamming dodge button so much, which whilst frustrating at first taught me to play better. The camera is a bit whack though.

I just bought the crow transformation technique and I’m just wondering if it has any practical application? I haven't saved yet so just wondering if its a waste of money or not?. Also what accessories would you recommended, they are all pretty pricey and I’m not exactly clear what any of them actually do?

ezekial45

Banned
ace3skoot said:
Hey guys and girls, playing PS3 version, and loving the theme and style. First off the controls are heavenly, really tight and well thought out, also the panther transformation stop me spamming dodge button so much, which whilst frustrating at first taught me to play better. The camera is a bit whack though.

I just bought the crow transformation technique and I’m just wondering if it has any practical application? I haven't saved yet so just wondering if its a waste of money or not?. Also what accessories would you recommended, they are all pretty pricey and I’m not exactly clear what any of them actually do?

The crow form is useful outside of combat for getting to areas that might be out of your reach. For it's uses in combat, it gives you a pretty great aerial advantage. The crow form can summon "feathers" which act as not only homing attacks, but only as a damage barrier since they hover around Bayonetta. Also, the crow form has a bashing ram attack at well.

It's pretty useful, i think. You can't really go round with any move, imo.

Generic said:
Camera is hard to do in an action game, and trust me when this is seriously the best camera I've ever seen in an action game.
Must have forgotten to change the camera speed setting. I wholeheartedly agree about the camera in this game being the best in its kind, in fact the game spoiled me in while playing NGS2 because of the damn camera.lol

Riposte

The only thing bad about this game is that its scoring system doesn't keep up with its awesomeness. We will just have to settle with showing orgasmic videos on YouTube and playing one of the best games yet made. sigh...

Curufinwe

Krauser Kat said:
Panther Dodge offset is a fucking beast.

It's what got me past some brutal battles against Joys on Hard and NSIC, particularly the end of Verse 4 of Chapter 6 on Hard which is an AP where you can only get hit twice.

Sai-kun said:
Holy. Shit. :lol WOW. That was absolutely INSANE.

This video is not as good, but the skill level required is more attainable.

Just finished it and im blown away. Devil May Cry 4 is still in my backlog and I'm not sure it's going to be worth the time to even put the disc in my PS3 after playing Bayonetta. lol

GAF hype usually is hit or miss for me. This is one of those games where the hype is completely justified X a million gazillion.

I played the PS3 version and just want to say to anyone that is reading this that hasn't picked up Bayonetta because of the hate it gets on PS3 to PLEASE go get it. It's a masterpiece and your just depriving yourself of one of the greatest gaming experiences ever.

Way too much hyperbole on here about how "unplayable" it is on the PS3. Give me a break. Some of you are way too jaded and I hope I never get that way or else I'd just stop gaming all-together.

Good to see this thread bumped, I've been wanting to post.

criesofthepast said:
Just finished it and im blown away. Devil May Cry 4 is still in my backlog and I'm not sure it's going to be worth the time to even put the disc in my PS3 after playing Bayonetta. lol

I played the PS3 version and just want to say to anyone that is reading this that hasn't picked up Bayonetta because of the hate it gets on PS3 to PLEASE go get it. It's a masterpiece and your just depriving yourself of one of the greatest gaming experiences ever.

Trust me, Bayonetta really makes it hard to go back to any other action game :p I was playing GoW3 and Bayo almost at the same time and I thought GoW3 was "pretty cool I guess" until I started playing Bayo. I never looked at it the same way.

You need to keep playing, at least complete it on hard and then go back to normal to plat it and then you unlock this character and play through the game again and then you unlock another secret thing and... :D

I played the PS3 version too by the way, and while it kinda sucks seeing the 360 version, it's still the same game and it's completely worth it. I also played it way after it came out, and I, too, thought it must've been overhyped and so I waited for the hype to die down... I'm so glad I didn't miss out :)

I still have to finish my NSIC run (lost my cutie J save due to my stupidity and that made me stop playing for a while) but then it will be my first platinum trophy ever, which seems only fitting.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just picked this up at Ultimate electronics for 15$, Loving the style of this game and the gameplay is tons of fun! Should have picked it up sooner for sure!

also kinda like the Sinatra song pop remake.......

Trin3785 said:
Just picked this up at Ultimate electronics for 15$, Loving the style of this game and the gameplay is tons of fun! Should have picked it up sooner for sure!

also kinda like the Sinatra song pop remake.......

All of the soundtrack is great :) You'll be able to listen to it in the game when you finish it.

This has been in my backlog for a while now, but I finally started playing it. So far, it embodies everything I love about Japanese games (super deep gameplay, tight controls, original character designs), and some of the things I hate about them (non-sensical story, over-reliance on cutscenes, cheesiness).

It's quite fun though. There are so many combos I have no chance of memorizing even a third of them, but that's a good thing. What's up with the music whenever you go into battle, though? God, it's making my ears puke.

criesofthepast said:

GAF hype usually is hit or miss for me. This is one of those games where the hype is completely justified X a million gazillion.

Way too much hyperbole on here about how "unplayable" it is on the PS3. Give me a break. Some of you are way too jaded and I hope I never get that way or else I'd just stop gaming all-together.

Seriously, if you have the choice between PS3 Bayonetta and NO Bayonetta, then you fucking pick PS3 Bayonetta :lol

ArachosiA 78 said:
This has been in my backlog for a while now, but I finally started playing it. So far, it embodies everything I love about Japanese games (super deep gameplay, tight controls, original character designs), and some of the things I hate about them (non-sensical story, over-reliance on cutscenes, cheesiness).

It's quite fun though. There are so many combos I have no chance of memorizing even a third of them, but that's a good thing. What's up with the music whenever you go into battle, though? God, it's making my ears puke.

HEATHEN!!

ArachosiA 78 said:

BLASPHAMY
The soundtrack is amazing, but maybe you can turn it lower or something in the options. And if you want to skip the cutscenes, don't forget RT + Back (well, on 360).

Jintor

mudkyp said:
I feel like a complete fanboy with this game. Anytime someone says something slightly critical I want to flip out and yell 'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE GENIUS'. But I'm a rational person, Bayonetta isn't for anyone. And people who don't like Bayonetta are people who hate fun.

A bit late, but I am with this guy.

Dahbomb

WTF @ Panther mode being useless.

After Dodge Offset it's probably the most versatile and useful ability in the game. It speeds up your game, evasion and combo ability by multiple folds, if you can handle it. The pressure you can apply against multiple enemies at great distances is just too good.

It sealed the deal about Bayonetta being the true action evolutionary game of this generation. If some Western developer was making an action game and had mechanics like Dodge Offset and Panther form, they would've spent like 2 hour documentary videos on that shit and hyped it up for months as like TRUE NEXT GEN ACTION GAMING ONLY POSSIBLE ON NEXT GEN HARDWARE.

Riposte

Dahbomb said:
It sealed the deal about Bayonetta being the true action evolutionary game of this generation. If some Western developer was making an action game and had mechanics like Dodge Offset and Panther form, they would've spent like 2 hour documentary videos on that shit and hyped it up for months as like TRUE NEXT GEN ACTION GAMING ONLY POSSIBLE ON NEXT GEN HARDWARE.

lol, I see your point, but it just isn't true. It is outrageous to assume this could happen. That is just way too obscured for "professionals" to know, let alone be interested in talking about. Now if Bayonetta did something involving accessibility, twitter, or leaderboards then we'd get long discussions about it or the indie game that would've ripped it off.

Alx

I still need to get back to this game... I have 2 achievements left to unlock (get platinum medals on the shooting chapters, and find all treasure chests), and I don't think I finished the game with
Jeanne
on hard nor NSIC.

Is it true that I can unlock the shooting achievement in easy mode ? I may be tempted to "cheat" on this one.

Roto13

Alx said:
Is it true that I can unlock the shooting achievement in easy mode ? I may be tempted to "cheat" on this one.
Yeah. It's a pain in the ass if you do it on anything higher than Easy. :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Alx said:

For that one, Yellow Lollipops are your friend on top of playing on Easy.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
warpaint said:
I've just bought this today
Now get down on your knees and pray with me.

"Dear Lord. Thank you for the Bayonetta we're about to receive."

toff74

Started playing it for the first time last night..

Was late and after that opening sequence i wasn't sure whether i was having a VERY strange dream or was actually playing the game.

I do know it controls like a dream.. the combo system is a little special and the graphics and sound just make one sweeeet package!

Loved it.. I WANT MORE!!!!!

Jintor

It's the videogame violence causes real life violence brigade but they've switched targets

Because any depiction of sex or sexual attraction = encouragement of rape

Of course, given the comments, I think there's at least a couple of trolls mixed in there

Top Bottom