• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
do a three hour climax run. I did a 3:05 climax run by accident.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tokubetsu said:
How does tortures work? Full magic right? Does that deplete when I get hit/interrupted mid combo?

A big magic orb means you can do one, if you gain a lot of the broken crystals you can get multiple big orbs to be able to do a lot. And yeah, you lose some when you get hit. You also gain some from going into witchtime and such.

Zertez

LiK said:
really? he's actually easier than some of the other bosses.
Believe you are thinking about father balder. Father rodin is by far the toughest thing in bayonetta. He can destroy you before you have time to blink.

Dreavus

Anyone have some tips on how to get a decent combo score when it comes to bosses? I'm working on my platinum normal difficulty run and I can't get my combo score above a silver on Fortitudo. What ends up happening is I get witch time off a fire ball, I stomp on him as much as I can hoping he gets dizzy, punch him some more and then throw him at the last second for a bit more damage. Shortly after that he'll fly to the edge of the arena to make things explode, and this is where I lose my multiplier since I guess he's out of range? (I'm constantly shooting him while he's flying up there.) How are you supposed to keep a multiplier string going like you do in a regular fight when he flies away and can't seem to be hit during that time?

eso76

Dreavus said:
Shortly after that he'll fly to the edge of the arena to make things explode, and this is where I lose my multiplier since I guess he's out of range?

Keep taunting your enemies when they are out of reach to keep the multiplier going. Occasionally, this will make them mad.
I believe charging moves also works.

(on my second playthrough. Complaints about cutscenes and checkpoints i had the first time completely erased and playing on hard gives you a lot more enemies for you to have fun with. Definitely in my top 3 games this generation)

ultim8p00

Banned
Fuck this. I think I'll do my pure platinum run on Normal. That shit is impossible on hard. The first Jeanne bossfight on hard is so full of shit. She'll do a wicked weave right in the middle of you beating the shit of her...just like that. And it doesn't help that the camera is shit and I keep sticking to the wall. Whoever thought this walking on walls nonsense was cool is dumb.

Dahbomb

ultim8p00 said:
Fuck this. I think I'll do my pure platinum run on Normal. That shit is impossible on hard. The first Jeanne bossfight on hard is so full of shit. She'll do a wicked weave right in the middle of you beating the shit of her...just like that. And it doesn't help that the camera is shit and I keep sticking to the wall. Whoever thought this walking on walls nonsense was cool is dumb.
The camera definitely doesn't help at all in this fight.

By the way one of the first things that I did in this game was go to Option and Camera and increased the speed of the camera (both X and Y). Way too slow on default, the speed is turned down all the way to slowest. It helped me out a lot.

ultim8p00 said:

I think the camera should have been fixed. It's almost impossible to work the camera in that kind of environment.

So, a week and a half after it ships, the damn thing still hasn't arrived. I'm going to try and rent it from Blockbuster (so yeah, £5 to play a game I own :lol). One thing I'm not sure about though is, can you switch difficulties during the first play-through?

ultim8p00 said:
Really? :\

That... isn't good. Quite cheap.

Dahbomb said:
The camera definitely doesn't help at all in this fight.

By the way one of the first things that I did in this game was go to Option and Camera and increased the speed of the camera (both X and Y). Way too slow on default, the speed is turned down all the way to slowest. It helped me out a lot.
Oh fuck! :O I tried this and boy was I making playing my first play through more difficult.:lol :lol

Roto13

Tranced Shadow said:
Thanks! That's fine, I'm only worried that normal might be too difficult :lol :lol :lol
Also remember that you can turn off the "Automatic" part of "Easy Automatic" by taking off the Marionette accessory.

Which I now realize is the fourth locked accessory in the shop that that other poster was talking about earlier.

It makes the game play itself when you mash attack buttons, in case it hasn't quite clicked for someone. :p

Since this thread is already spoilered the F out

i finally got Rodin... No bracelet of time here! Just the moon and rosaries...

the 3rd phase of him is so intense, my heart felt like it was going to explode when i would get him to his last bar

I think I may be able to no hit him now, it's definitely possible. Very cool how you get ranked and can still fight him whenever you want.

I have a MASSIVE strategy for the entire fight now, anyone who is having issues just ask.

anyways, I am very happy this game seems to finally getting the positive attention it deserves. now that people have actually played it that is... i love you kamiya, if your listening.

LiK

Zertez said:
Believe you are thinking about father balder. Father rodin is by far the toughest thing in bayonetta. He can destroy you before you have time to blink.

ah yes, my bad, was reading too quickly. i haven't checked out Lost Chapters yet. i unlocked it last night by simply playing normally. but yea, i heard he's a tough mofo.

btw, not having too much trouble with Infinite Climax mode, i'm up to Chapter 8 before i went to bed last night. i think playing all the Alfheims really made me good at dodging and parrying. you guys should play those if you plan on playing Infinite Climax later.

even Glory and Grace are sorta easy for me now. the only guys that give me trouble are Glorious and Gracious. they're fast mofos....

Trojan X

Banned
Wow... What happened to you people's skills on this game? Normal mode is just a training ground for you to play the game on HARD and Non-stop Climax, the true modes to play this game.

My friend and I are playing this game using plenty of dodge cancels, combos and parrying. We only play the game in HARD and Non-stop Climax mode. Look, here's a video of my friend playing the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iBp9R7toU

Roto13

LiK said:
ah yes, my bad, was reading too quickly. i haven't checked out Lost Chapters yet. i unlocked it last night by simply playing normally. but yea, i heard he's a tough mofo.
The Lost Chapter is a series of like 100 fights with groups of angels and bosses. You unlock the Rodin fight by earning (not keeping) 10 million halos.

Trojan X

Banned
LiK said:

btw, not having too much trouble with Infinite Climax mode, i'm up to Chapter 8 before i went to bed last night. i think playing all the Alfheims really made me good at dodging and parrying. you guys should play those if you plan on playing Infinite Climax later.

even Glory and Grace are sorta easy for me now. the only guys that give me trouble are Glorious and Gracious. they're fast mofos....

Good job!! You are definitely great at the game if you find Grace and Glory easy!

Fugu

Trojan X said:
Wow... What happened to you people's skills on this game? Normal mode is just a training ground for you to play the game on HARD and Non-stop Climax, the true modes to play this game.

My friend and I are playing this game using plenty of dodge cancels, combos and parrying. We only play the game in HARD and Non-stop Climax mode. Look, here's a video of my friend playing the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iBp9R7toU
I like watching other people play because it demonstrates how many different ways there are to play this game successfully. For example, this guy dodge offsets way less than I do but he parries a fair bit more.

Zeliard

Bayonetta is like the designers took everything people asked for in the genre and stuffed it into one game - like they actually listened to the fanbase. A large amount of mostly-balanced weapons (the hidden ones seem a bit overpowered), and since you can put two different ones on your feet, you have the ability to basically quickly switch between four weapons at any point during combat. Ninja Gaiden 2 came out with a ton of cool weapons but people were rightfully miffed that you couldn't switch between them without the game pausing itself.

There's also a long combo list for every weapon combo you're sporting, and since almost every move can cancel into something else, you can also develop your own makeshift, freeform combos during combat. It feels nearly limitless in possibilities.

The only thing that would make the combat in Bayonetta superior to me is if it put a little bit more emphasis on defense, ala Ninja Gaiden Black. NGB is still fairly unique in that respect - Bayonetta and most other games in the genre generally go with the "offense is the best defense" mentality, while NGB is all "no, defense is the best defense".

Roto13

Chamber said:
So what would you guys say are the most useful accessories to purchase?
Aside from unlockables, the Moon of whatever is incredibly handy. Gaze of Despair is great if you're trying to build combos. That one that heals you when you taunt is pretty much necessary for the Lost Chapter, but not really that handy for the rest of the game. Those beads that replace your witch time with a counter attack are great on Infinite Climax mode since you don't have witch time anyway.

NIN90 said:
How do I exactly execute a counter? It seems like it just randomly happens when I parry.

There's a very small window where if you block you'll do a counter. It's essentially the same as going into bat form on a dodge.

eso76

Really? :\

That... isn't good. Quite cheap.

true her weave attack comes out of nowhere and quite suddenly, but she generally yells something at you like a millisecond before, so you can more or less dodge it.
I agree that the camera there makes the fight a mess, but i found that fight very easy compared to some of the stuff you have to face before that. Maybe because i was fighting her constantly tapping the stick in her direction to counter her attacks which worked beautifully :p

Oh, I can be even cheaper than her :p

eso76 said:
true her weave attack comes out of nowhere and quite suddenly, but she generally yells something at you like a millisecond before, so you can more or less dodge it.
I agree that the camera there makes the fight a mess, but i found that fight very easy compared to some of the stuff you have to face before that. Maybe because i was fighting her constantly tapping the stick in her direction to counter her attacks which worked beautifully :p

Oh, I can be even cheaper than her :p

Before using a weave she will always say "BURN!" and have a red charging effect around her.

KaYotiX

Banned
Game is sooo gooood!!!! Love this game so much!!

Ive been trying to use air combos more now that im playing on Hard, there are alot of different ways to play this game.

Zeliard said:
Bayonetta is like the designers took everything people asked for in the genre and stuffed it into one game - like they actually listened to the fanbase. A large amount of mostly-balanced weapons (the hidden ones seem a bit overpowered), and since you can put two different ones on your feet, you have the ability to basically quickly switch between four weapons at any point during combat. Ninja Gaiden 2 came out with a ton of cool weapons but people were rightfully miffed that you couldn't switch between them without the game pausing itself.

There's also a long combo list for every weapon combo you're sporting, and since almost every move can cancel into something else, you can also develop your own makeshift, freeform combos during combat. It feels nearly limitless in possibilities.

The only thing that would make the combat in Bayonetta superior to me is if it put a little bit more emphasis on defense, ala Ninja Gaiden Black. NGB is still fairly unique in that respect - Bayonetta and most other games in the genre generally go with the "offense is the best defense" mentality, while NGB is all "no, defense is the best defense".

So you complain that ninja gaiden 2 should have had real-time weapon switching, but then praise it for being a defense-oriented game?

ultim8p00

Banned
God's Beard said:
So you complain that ninja gaiden 2 should have had real-time weapon switching, but then praise it for being a defense-oriented game?

He praised Ninja Gaiden Black for being defense oriented, which is true. NGII and NGB have completely different gameplay.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
God's Beard said:

Ninja Gaiden 2 needs real time weapon switching, Ninja Gaiden Black is defense-oriented. Even still, you can have a defensive gameplay style and real-time weapon switching.

I was thinking about who really is to blame for the PS3 version being not as good of a product as the 360 version. I keep reading on the net that Bayonetta was supposed to be a 360 exclusive, and that Sega ported the game to the PS3. Platinum games has washed it's hands of the situation, saying it's Sega's fault.

However, I dug up an old EGM from September 2008, roughly 1 year before Bayonetta's release in Japan. It says that the title is multiplatform for 360 and PS3. It says that development began in "shortly after Okami shipped", which would mean late 2006 or 2007. It give no mention of Sega doing the port. So, we can assume that up to a certain point in time, that Platinum Games was responsible for the PS3 version, and was coding for the PS3 version. At what point Sega became involved is unknown to me. This also raises the question of the extent of involvement of Sega. Did they simply just publish the game? I doubt it. There's plenty of blame to go around, and both parties are no angels (fittingly appropriate reference given it's Bayonetta we're talking about). Anyone who blames the PS3 hardware is just a flaming troll (i.e. Digital Foundry/Eurogamer), because we've seen quite of few technical marvels out of this little black box. A good craftsman never blames his tools.

So, I don't buy Platinum Games washing it's hands of the whole Bayonetta incident. They do share some culpability as well as Sega. There is also the question of will it/can it (the PS3 version) be fixed. A) I don't have the expertise to determine whether or not a patch to fix these issues is even technically possible, and B), this is big business we're talking about. There not interested in doing the right thing, but about the bottom dollar. Either way, there's ZERO percent chance that this game gets patched because of above stated reason B, and possibly point A as well.

Just food for your thoughts.

TreIII

So, have any of you guys "graduated" to Jeanne, yet? :D

Playing Hard Mode with her is definitely no joke. Glad I invested in getting her a Bangle of Time, as well.

And Little Zero? ....SO not worth the trouble to get. Just completed the game on normal with him nonetheless...

Zeliard

I don't hear that many people talk about the nunchucks at all, though I guess since they require 100 chapters cleared, most people just haven't gotten to that point yet. I wonder just how effective they are.

TreIII

Zeliard said:
I don't hear that many people talk about the nunchucks at all, though I guess since they require 100 chapters cleared, most people just haven't gotten to that point yet. I wonder just how effective they are.

They're actually quite nice.

I mean, you're not going to get another Pillow Talk-type weapon of sheer raw power, but you instead get a weapon that allows for a lot of hits that can pad your combo score. The "bullets of light" that the Soifong shoots out with each hit go all over the damn place, and the weapon itself can even hit "ENRAGED!" enemies out of their "super armor".

Plus, the 360 attack sends the nunchaku flying around the arena. While it's out of your hands, you can still fight normally (pistol style, just with no pistols).

I still think Rodin is probably the best weapon in the game. Anything that allows you to summon overpowered lasers in the ground or in the air gets my vote! :lol

Zeliard

TreIII said:
They're actually quite nice.

I mean, you're not going to get another Pillow Talk-type weapon of sheer raw power, but you instead get a weapon that allows for a lot of hits that can pad your combo score. The "bullets of light" that the Soifong shoots out with each hit go all over the damn place, and the weapon itself can even hit "ENRAGED!" enemies out of their "super armor".

Plus, the 360 attack sends the nunchaku flying around the arena. While it's out of your hands, you can still fight normally (pistol style, just with no pistols).

I still think Rodin is probably the best weapon in the game. Anything that allows you to summon overpowered lasers in the ground or in the air gets my vote! :lol

Sounds great. The nunchucks are weapons I can't wait to try out. Rodin and Pillow Talk are essentially way overpowered, right?

I am actually curious if anyone's beaten the secret boss without Pillow Talk. I haven't seen it yet. I've just seen vids like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqdzE5w7XjE

Still impressive, though, that one.

_tetsuo_ said:
Ninja Gaiden 2 needs real time weapon switching, Ninja Gaiden Black is defense-oriented. Even still, you can have a defensive gameplay style and real-time weapon switching.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is still defense-oriented. It's not a combo game.

Trojan X

Banned
I suggest to buy this guide, I've heard that it is Godly!

41mNV0LbB0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3869930039/

Top Bottom