• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
iconoclast said:
Anyone know how to complete Alfheim challenge #10 (chapter 5) on Hard? You have to stay in the air for 30 seconds, but the devil bringer whip doesn't work on the electric/fire dogs that you fight. I must have killed over 10 of them to try and get different enemies to spawn, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen (unless I'm not killing them fast enough?). Can't figure out what I should be doing to juggle these guys for 30 seconds...

edit: I guess I'm supposed to be jumping off their heads when they're on the ground? These challenges are awful.

By the way, if anyone was having trouble with this, I just figured out you have to break the head piece off of the dogs in order to drag them with the whip (it breaks off around 30% HP I believe). This might be common knowledge, but I just spent like 45 minutes on this challenge trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. :lol

So far that has been the hardest part of my Pure Platinum run.

mikeGFG

Banned
mjemirzian said:
I'm pretty sure the enemies are the same on hard as they are infinite climax, they just have more health/damage and only bracelet of time can trigger WT.

One trick I like to use with the 'Use Wicked Weave' alfheims is equip the Eternal Testimony and mix in <- -> P or K attacks which take 3 magic. They are fast and work well mixed up with the standard PKP.

Didnt even think of the eternal testimony + <>P/K moves. Very good call.

For anyone interested, a short Pure Platinum Guide. Fairly incomplete, but working on it. Has some decent advice and a layout of all verses/alfheims.

http://stashbox.org/768938/pure plat.txt

hmm just found something even more interesting about pillow talk.. if you charge it up, most of the attacks count as wicked weaves.. in other words, charge it up and own everything in the 'use wicked weaves' alfheims.

mjemirzian said:
hmm just found something even more interesting about pillow talk.. if you charge it up, most of the attacks count as wicked weaves.. in other words, charge it up and own everything in the 'use wicked weaves' alfheims.

Hot tip. YB(h)RYR spam gets tiresome.

Taking damage or spending time outside of an active verse/alfheim does not
count against your medals. If it doesn't say Verse X in the upper right of
the screen, it doesn't count.

Are you SURE about this? I am 99.9999% sure I Pure Platinum'd every verse in Chapter 3(?), but took damage from one of the falling lava waves near the end. Wound up with -122 damage and a regular Platinum.

iconoclast said:
Hot tip. YB(h)RYR spam gets tiresome.

I wasn't suggesting using Pillow Talk for every verse in the game, just the Use Wicked Weaves alfheims. And surprise, you'll be spamming PKP/<>P in those alfheims anyway. I will, however, touch your hot tip that you so graciously offered.

iconoclast said:
Are you SURE about this? I am 99.9999% sure I Pure Platinum'd every verse in Chapter 3(?), but took damage from one of the falling lava waves near the end. Wound up with -122 damage and a regular Platinum.

Yes, damage taken or time wasted outside of a verse does not count. Proof here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOHF_aSM0l8

Skip to the end for the score and -37 damage, but still pure plat.

Anyone check out this guy called hsypersakura2009 on youtube? He has pure platinum on every boss except Rodin, which he got a platinum on. No damage award on every boss including Rodin. Insane

palpabl_purpura said:
Anyone check out this guy called hsypersakura2009 on youtube? He has pure platinum on every boss except Rodin, which he got a platinum on. No damage award on every boss including Rodin. Insane

I used to watch that guy's videos of resident evil 5.

palpabl_purpura said:

He uses the kilgore exploit/glitch, boring to watch him destroy every boss in half the time it normally takes.

mjemirzian said:
I wasn't suggesting using Pillow Talk for every verse in the game, just the Use Wicked Weaves alfheims.
Yes, I know :lol Though the charge only lasts a little while, I'll have to test it and see how well it works afterward. Still useful to know though.
Yes, damage taken or time wasted outside of a verse does not count. Proof here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOHF_aSM0l8

Skip to the end for the score and -37 damage, but still pure plat.

I've already pure platinum'd all of Normal and usually wind up with 0 - 80 damage by the end, but in Chapter 3 I actually saw myself get hit with the lava (as opposed to having no idea what damaged me) and finished the level anyway. I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% positive I pure platinum'd every verse in the stage but still had a regular platinum at the end.

Dave1988

mjemirzian said:
For anyone interested, a short Pure Platinum Guide. Fairly incomplete, but working on it. Has some decent advice and a layout of all verses/alfheims.

http://stashbox.org/768938/pure plat.txt

Hey, I remember you from the Valkyria Chronicles vids on Youtube. Great work on those.

Anyway, I have a question:

Chapter V
Verse 13
More Harmonies.

Where is this verse? I always miss it.

Dave1988 said:
Where is this verse? I always miss it.

After you kill the second dragon in front of the gate that leads to Jeanne, backtrack to where you killed the first dragon and the harmonies will spawn.

Sorry, I don't remember names of most of the enemies in the game.

LiK

alright, finally found all the incomplete Alfheims and complted them all. now to look for the rest fo Antonio's notes and those Umbram resting places....

> I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% positive I pure platinum'd every verse in the stage but still had a regular platinum at the end.

hmm well you could do something like PP chapter 2 and jump off a cliff several times to take damage and see.. chapter 2 would be shorter/easier to PP w/ environmental damage as an experiment than 3

> Hey, I remember you from the Valkyria Chronicles vids on Youtube. Great work on those.

Thanks, glad you liked them!

> Where is this verse? I always miss it.

Oops. I forgot to mention that one is missable and its location.

The umbran tombs are annoying.. there's like 45 of them.

Dave1988

mjemirzian said:
The umbran tombs are annoying.. there's like 45 of them.

44 to be exact. The one hidden behind a door in Broken Sky was a bitch to find. It was the only one I missed on my first playthrough. Had to use a guide to find it.

Dave1988 said:
44 to be exact. The one hidden behind a door in Broken Sky was a bitch to find. It was the only one I missed on my first playthrough. Had to use a guide to find it.

That was my last and I found it by complete fluke. Feels good, man.

Going from Bayonetta combat to Ass Creed 2 combat is like I have had all my limbs cut off :lol

mjemirzian said:
> I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% positive I pure platinum'd every verse in the stage but still had a regular platinum at the end.

hmm well you could do something like PP chapter 2 and jump off a cliff several times to take damage and see.. chapter 2 would be shorter/easier to PP w/ environmental damage as an experiment than 3

I just did this. PP'd all of chapter 2 and jumped off the bridge a bunch, still got a PP at the end with 4000 damage. I guess I was still in a verse when I got hit in chapter 3? I dunno, but I'm glad this is confirmed now :lol

LiK

okay, only 2 achievements away from 1000. guess i'll need to deal with the Umbram resting places. guess i'll look for them in Infinite Climax mode.

iammeiam

I usually avoid games that require good reflexes, because mine kind of suck, but holy crap is this game fun.

The most amazing thing is how much better at it I am than when I started; I beat Normal last night and started up a Hard playthrough today; I've gone from swearing profusely and panicking every time Grace & Glory show up to happily beating down three of the bastards in a row without issue. Granted, the accessories help, but I'm also better at dodging and not getting insta-combo'd into oblivion. I will probably wind up 'cheating' my way through the Jeanne stuff this time (farming/producing a crapload of yellow suckers), since the parry accessory doesn't seem to help when she's Wicked Weave'ing at me, but otherwise I've had a much easier time with the first five chapters on Hard than I did on the initial Normal playthrough.

This game is awesome, I hope it does really well so we can get a sequel, but I'm kind of unsure how they'd have an ending with larger impact than
sending the spirit of God flying into the sun, then beating the shit out of the corpse of god during re-entry.

goldenpp72

Anyone have tips on how to pure platinum? I beat ng2 on master ninja but I can't seem to get more than a few in a given chapter and I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

LiK said:
okay, only 2 achievements away from 1000. guess i'll need to deal with the Umbram resting places. guess i'll look for them in Infinite Climax mode.
yeah, I dunno what's up with those chests

I assume the one I'm missing holds the heart I'm missing

Are there any chests that, the first time around, don't have heart or moon pieces?

goldenpp72 said:
Anyone have tips on how to pure platinum? I beat ng2 on master ninja but I can't seem to get more than a few in a given chapter and I don't know what i'm doing wrong.
Pure Platinums are basically perfect runs. You have to maximize your combos, minimize your time, and never get hit.

goldenpp72 said:

Katana in hands, Durga on feet, dodge offset, YBY, hold-attack with the durgas, dodge attacks for witch time, don't get hit (<- most important one). I use the Gaze of Despair and Moon of Mahaa-Kaala (or whatever it's called) as accessories. Taunt and use your guns to keep your combo going for the entire verse.

If you get hit during a fight, you can exit to title screen and restart from the beginning of the verse. That's all I got.

ShockingAlberto said:
yeah, I dunno what's up with those chests

I assume the one I'm missing holds the heart I'm missing

Are there any chests that, the first time around, don't have heart or moon pieces?

Yeah, there are a few. One's that are easy to miss that don't have a heart are in the beginning of chapter 12 (before verse 1 I think) you can smash a door on the left side of the room and behind it is a chest. Another one that's VERY easy to miss is at the start of chapter 10; activate the gears and jump on the archway that's over the street, and there will be a chest (it's in the same area as the chapter 2 Alfheim I think). There's a couple more I believe, I used this guide: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=193882

I was also missing one heart, and it was on chapter 8. Ride up the white arch on the right side of a bridge during verse 3 and a heart will be on it. Might be the one you're missing.

Slurmer

Banned
So, I just sold my 360 version (selling my 360) for the PS3 version--man it really is lackluster in comparison. Still fun to play, but it's pretty crazy experiencing just how bad the port is.

Roto13

Zeliard said:
Ah!

How useful are those four (?) hidden accessories anyway? All the accessories I ever hear anyone talk about are the ones that are available from the start.
I can only think of three, but there might be one I'm forgetting.

They're all pretty useful. One of them lets you spend magic to use Witch Time whenever you want. One of them automatically recharges two of your magic rune things, which is awesome for the After Burner stage. And one puts you in permanent "Serious" mode (boss mode) making most of your attacks into Wicked Weaves. That one is pretty overpowered. :p You can just mash your way through Ultimate Climax with it. But you unlock it for getting all of the Tears of Blood, so it's not exactly easy to come by.

ultim8p00

Banned
Just started hard mode. Holy fucking shit you guys were not kidding. You really need to know your shit if you want to stand a chance. The difficulty rivals Ninja Gaiden. I've been getting golds/plat/p.plat for the most part and it feels great. I just wish there was no penalty for dieing because the QTEs are so fucking stupid. I hate when I do so much hardwork and it's all gone because I didn't fucking mash buttons fast enough or I didn't press the button at the speed of light.

goldenpp72 said:
Master the bats! That thing owns. If your reflexes are good enough, you can basically do whatever the fuck you want and take no damage.

Katana+ Durga rapes like nothing else, especially the Fire Durga's exploding charge attacks and the Katana's pp charge attack. That shit is almost broken. Use them to quickly kill angels.

Panther transformation has some invincibility on the start, so use it to bail out when you are getting rushed, and go behind enemies to attack. Basically just use it to get away and calm down when shit gets too hectic, which it does ALL THE TIME on hard mode.

Bernbaum

I was surprised that a softcock character such as Luka was included in the narrative but he was entertaining. Having such a weak-spirited male character kept the narrative grounded and Bayonetta's instant recognition of his feebleness didn't stop her from at least humouring him. Their relationship parallels that of Cereza and her stuffed animal.

ultim8p00

Banned
hamchan said:
Was I the only one that liked Luka?

Also what difficulty should I start Ninja Gaiden at if I can beat Bayonetta at normal?

It's hard to say because Bayonetta is much more generous and forgiving in terms of checkpoints and stuff and that definitely adds to the overall difficulty.

Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma: Normal
Ninja Gaiden II: Path of The Warrior
Ninja Gaiden Sigma II: Path of the Mentor

KaYotiX

Banned
Just beat this game, WTF awesome is what Bayonetta is!!! Now on my way to do Hard mode. Im not going to 1000/1000 this but i will beat hard mode :D

remz

Bernbaum said:
I was surprised that a softcock character such as Luka was included in the narrative but he was entertaining. Having such a weak-spirited male character kept the narrative grounded and Bayonetta's instant recognition of his feebleness didn't stop her from at least humouring him. Their relationship parallels that of Cereza and her stuffed animal.
hence the cheshire thing I suppose.

he was indeed entertaining if nothing else- I had no problem with him

hamchan said:
Was I the only one that liked Luka?

Also what difficulty should I start Ninja Gaiden at if I can beat Bayonetta at normal?

I liked him but I wanted to fight him the whole game. I know he would never stand a chance against Bayonetta, but it would still probably be a fun fight.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow @ chapter 5.

Pure plat, plat, gold, gold, silver, plat, plat, plat, pure plat, gold, plat, pure plat, missed verse, plat...yet I got gold overall because the camera freaked out at that segment where the dragon breaks the serpent road and I instantly died. So glad this game has such fucking retarded bullshit sprinkled throughout, that wasn't an easy level either.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Arrrgh, I want Jeanne. Stupid fucking Platinums. I'm tempted to use the goddamn code to unlock her but I'll try my best to do this shit legit.

Papercuts

Uh...wow.

Apparently you can instantly die on chapter 8 too, awesome! I just found out you could take the white arches earier on and get on the other side of the road, but then that shit happens. Greeeat.

Ughjhfkas I want to stab whoever designed this level in the face with a fork, this is so dumb. You need to cross to the other side of the road for a heart piece but then it's incredibly easy to get a bullshit death.

Papercuts

My god, now I glitched through the highway after one of the jumps. I feel a stone coming on from this.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Fyrus said:
Does anyone else crash sometimes when loading the "Item" menu? This is the third time today this has happened.. I'd think it was my 360 but it only happens on the "Item" menu. :/
Happened again. Needed to heal because I kept messing up on that awful Ch13 boss..

*ffuuu pic goes here*

Papercuts said:
Wow @ chapter 5.

Pure plat, plat, gold, gold, silver, plat, plat, plat, pure plat, gold, plat, pure plat, missed verse, plat...yet I got gold overall because the camera freaked out at that segment where the dragon breaks the serpent road and I instantly died. So glad this game has such fucking retarded bullshit sprinkled throughout, that wasn't an easy level either.
LOL the same exact shit happened to me, except I didn't miss any verses

Papercuts

viewtiful_dru said:
LOL the same exact shit happened to me, except I didn't miss any verses

I have no idea what verse I missed at the end, I never found it in any of my plays. But holy crap, that made me rage.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Uh...wow.

Apparently you can instantly die on chapter 8 too, awesome! I just found out you could take the white arches earier on and get on the other side of the road, but then that shit happens. Greeeat.

Ughjhfkas I want to stab whoever designed this level in the face with a fork, this is so dumb. You need to cross to the other side of the road for a heart piece but then it's incredibly easy to get a bullshit death.
same thing happened to me. pro-tip, don't use panther mode on that bridge unless you know which section to jump over before it happens. :lol

Papercuts said:
I have no idea what verse I missed at the end, I never found it in any of my plays. But holy crap, that made me rage.

I mentioned it earlier; backtrack as far as you can after you kill the second dragon and you'll fight a group of Harmonies.

Slurmer said:
So, I just sold my 360 version (selling my 360) for the PS3 version--man it really is lackluster in comparison. Still fun to play, but it's pretty crazy experiencing just how bad the port is.

Well, why did you sell your 360 version then?

Mr Jared said:
Are talking the scene towards the end where you're sort of ... running vertically along the platforms trying to get to the upside-down silo at the top? That part's pretty easy.. just wait until the platforms reappear near you and then just make your way on over. Then once you're on the other side, you can move along from there around the silo if you have to. The platforms actually disappear fairly slowly.

I decided to jump into the whole sexual debate surrounding Bayonetta, more or less in its defense. Feel free to have a read. In the meantime I'm not sure where to go with the game.. I don't want to do hard mode :lol I hate fighting non-witch time enemies.

Pretty nice write-up man!

Top Bottom