• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Helping a friend with an annual Meatfest party he does. The menu

45 lbs brisket
30 lbs pulled pork
13 racks pork ribs
15 lbs chicken thighs
10 lbs tri tip
Hot links
Smoked salmon
Bacon wrapped sausage loaf (aka bacon explosion)

We are about 12 hours into the smoke now with 10 hours to go. We are using 5 barrel smokers with 2 iGrills for easy temp monitoring. Hopefully will have some pics to post later.

Good God man, can I come? Sounds amazing

CrankyJay

Banned
Helping a friend with an annual Meatfest party he does. The menu

45 lbs brisket
30 lbs pulled pork
13 racks pork ribs
15 lbs chicken thighs
10 lbs tri tip
Hot links
Smoked salmon
Bacon wrapped sausage loaf (aka bacon explosion)

We are about 12 hours into the smoke now with 10 hours to go. We are using 5 barrel smokers with 2 iGrills for easy temp monitoring. Hopefully will have some pics to post later.

Yo, can I be your friend?

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, just put on my ribs.

This is my first smoke using a clay dish as my heat sink. I went with a 14 inch that sits on top of the water bowl

Temps rising nice and steady so far, even with some wind at 12-15 mph.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
man oh man this thread makes my mouth water...where can One learn how to BBQ? Any Tips for a novice?

Like difference between gas vs charcoal

If you want to get into it, check out a few Youtube Channels that can show you what all is involved with BBQ. Be ready to be patient, and don't get discouraged when you screw up and destroy some meat you paid good money for. It happens.

Good Ole JB - http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
BBQ Pit Boys - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrL1ugI6xGqQ7VEyV6aRAg
Grill with Weber - http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCEBG5mwkD55WseNJryLdDSw
Cooking With Surfin Sapo - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFtxgBxWUFBj5PrLHCe4KbQ

Lastly, once you get the basics down, don't be afraid to put your own touch into the process. Winds, humidity, temperature all play a role in BBQ. You will have to have the confidence to adjust.

From Memorial day:

941466_10201023342803057_1574603518_n.jpg

Those are bootleg McRibs made fresh and smoked for an hour. Added diced Jalapeños and grilled onions on a toasted bun with a small amount of mayo and Famous Dave's Devil Spit

Ridli

Gottdam, just the brisket and the pulled pork is more than enough to feed 80 people. I can't imagine how many pounds of potato salad have been made as well. That actually sounds like an entire weekend menu.

It must smell glorious.

Chris R

3 hours in. Just drizzled on agave nectar and sprinkled in brown sugar and foil wrapped with beer.

Meat candy.

Smoking beans and bacon under the ribs.

What exactly is the full setup here? Like where you have your coals and everything else under the meat.

CrankyJay

Banned
Slightly overdid the ribs but flavor and smoke wise these were my best ever. Smoked beans with bacon were great and homemade slaw. Served with homemade garlic jalapeño dill pickles. I like to make my own everything.

BBQ sauced on left, dry on right.

Log4Girlz

Slightly overdid the ribs but flavor and smoke wise these were my best ever. Smoked beans with bacon were great and homemade slaw. Served with homemade garlic jalapeño dill pickles. I like to make my own everything.

Dat looks so gud.

andycapps

Dem dry ribs..

Did "Beer Can Chicken" (but not really since I read beer can chicken is a load of bullshit here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/beer-can-chicken_b_1634001.html) for the first time and it turned out awesome

Awesome job there. I need to make chicken this way soon.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
A question for BBQ-gaf.
I wanted to make pork ribs (with you know bbq sauce and everything else) for the first time, so I bought a rack of ribs, it was already cut in half and packed and I didn't notice that there was a layer of skin on it... Sooooo, do I remove it or not? If yes, how? Cook it and then remove it, or before cooking? :lol

mcfrank

A question for BBQ-gaf.
I wanted to make pork ribs (with you know bbq sauce and everything else) for the first time, so I bought a rack of ribs, it was already cut in half and packed and I didn't notice that there was a layer of skin on it... Sooooo, do I remove it or not? If yes, how? Cook it and then remove it, or before cooking? :lol

Assuming you are talking about the membrane on the underside of the ribs, wash the ribs with water under the sink then pat dry with a paper towel. Put the ribs down flat on a cutting board membrane side up and wiggle a butter knife between the membrane and the second rib bone. Make a gap big enough to get your index finger in then and stick it in and remove the knife. Grab the membrane with your index finger and thumb, use your other hand to hold the ribs and then rip the membrane off (hopefully in one piece). It takes practice but isn't too tough. You don't have to get it all.

a guide

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Assuming you are talking about the membrane on the underside of the ribs, wash the ribs with water under the sink then pat dry with a paper towel. Put the ribs down flat on a cutting board membrane side up and wiggle a butter knife between the membrane and the second rib bone. Make a gap big enough to get your index finger in then and stick it in and remove the knife. Grab the membrane with your index finger and thumb, use your other hand to hold the ribs and then rip the membrane off (hopefully in one piece). It takes practice but isn't too tough. You don't have to get it all.

a guide

No, I mean skin, a thick layer, like 0.5cm more or less.

Like this, but not that thick:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/i...lta110900019/10658709-pork-ribs-with-skin.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
All right, thanks you!

I bought it at a supermaket here, the ribs were already packed, and the skin was on the downside, so I totally didn't see it. :lol
Next time I'm buying from a butcher shop.

If you have a local wholesale club near you like a Sam's, BJ's, or Costco sign up there...ribs and other BBQ cuts of meat are generally way less expensive there.

Choice brisket is $.80/lb LESS at $4.19/lb than my local supermarket ($4.99/lb).

Loin-back ribs are like half the cost as well, and meatier.

another question:

is THIS any good?

I have something similar, and while it works really well for grilling, it's a royal pain in the ass to try and do BBQ with. The main problem is that it leaks air like crazy, so it's very difficult to control just how much air is getting in and out of it. Looking at the reviews too there's nothing for the coals to sit on, which at least mine has that.

-PXG-

First batch of pics from my friends Meatfest. Some of this I helped with, some I did not.

Pure. Utter. Sex.

Vyroxis

Banned
Working with the classic rule of 'If it's made of meat it's good to eat' I will be grilling and smoking a raccoon this weekend that has been terrorizing my neighbor. Never eaten raccoon before, so this will be an adventure assuming we can catch the fucker.

nomster

Your bucket list includes carnivorous animals that eat garbage? Maybe it'd taste alright turned into a summer sausage or something (with a ton of pork fat added), but my guess is smoked raccoon will taste like smoked house cat.

Vyroxis

Banned
Yah, I'm not expecting it to taste awesome. But after my experiments with woodchuck and muskrat last year, I never count anything out till I've tried it.

Thought I would share this here.

Got a Weber One Touch 22 1/2 in Gold in Blue, excited to get to smoking some meats on it.

9128541911_5e355a261a_c.jpg

Just doing a first burn to make sure any residue from production is gone before cooking with it.

9130755062_ec38d1f2d7_c.jpg

All of it looks amazing I never knew there was more to bbqing than charcoal and fire I started watching pitmasters and reading now I want to try all this.

Brisket day!

6lb flat

gItgMOB.jpg

No full packers sadly. Will mop this all day to keep moist.

Fuck yea.

Smoked some brisket a few weeks ago, Aaron Franklin/Texas style. I think I let it sit a bit too long, next time will cut back on it.

Really want to try some post-oak; hickory was nice though.

Ridli

Got a Weber One Touch 22 1/2 in Gold in Blue, excited to get to smoking some meats on it.

I must say, there is something to be said about a splash of color in the backyard. I only hope the color stays that nice.

All of it looks amazing I never knew there was more to bbqing than charcoal and fire I started watching pitmasters and reading now I want to try all this.

Welcome! If you're quick, you have plenty of time to get setup in time for the July 4th.

9128541911_5e355a261a_c.jpg

Just doing a first burn to make sure any residue from production is gone before cooking with it.

9130755062_ec38d1f2d7_c.jpg

Daaaaaaaamn that blue looks good. I bought a green one about a month ago and love it so far (though I'm seriously rethinking the color after seeing yours!). I think I've probably used it at least 5 nights a week since it arrived.

I was really impressed with how well it holds temperature, it's really a very capable little smoker. It's also the first grill I've had that lets me easily smother charcoal to reuse. So nice!

Top Bottom