• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Ridli

Some delicious pork today. The bark in particular was nice and spicy.

CwVFsPH.jpg

Ak0iVAY.jpg

No filters, but I still feel a little instagram-y.

andycapps

This is from Friday night/Saturday morning. Did the overnight cook, went through quite a bit of charcoal but it took a decent amount of time to cook this Boston Butt. Went on at midnight and came off at noon. It stalled for quite a while at 190, but I wanted to get it up to 200-205. I could have wrapped it, but I wasn't in that much of a hurry because we had a late breakfast.

The meat fell apart and it was awesome as always. The temp I took it to was really nice and the fats and collagen inside the meat had really been melting, so the meat was very juicy. I think I'm about ready to tackle ribs or brisket. Pork butt is nice and consistently awesome at this point.

Side note, I think I got a bad lid on my WSM. One of the sides of the handle it looks like the weld is slipping. It's still holding, but I think I'm going to contact Weber about having them send me a new lid.

Crisco

Banned
Did ~6 pound yesterday as well. Turned out pretty good. I got it on the the damn WSM at close to 8AM and by 9PM it was still technically a couple degrees from being done according to the recipe. Ran into a couple problems keeping the coals lit and the thing hot enough through the whole cook, but it was my first time so I expected problems. Anyway, we pulled it off and even though it wasn't technically "done" it was still mostly moist and tender, just a few tougher muscles on one side. Fun, albeit frustrating at times, experience. I imagine my second try will go smoother.

What's the cheapest I could get to use as a smoker? Weber grill with Smokenator? I've only grilled, but never smoked anything before so I'd rather get something cheaper with for now.

Crisco

Banned
You can smoke with basically anything that has a lid, a way to control/monitor temperature, and a way to get some wood on the heat source. Stuff like the Smokenator makes it easier, but you don't really need it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Did ~6 pound yesterday as well. Turned out pretty good. I got it on the the damn WSM at close to 8AM and by 9PM it was still technically a couple degrees from being done according to the recipe. Ran into a couple problems keeping the coals lit and the thing hot enough through the whole cook, but it was my first time so I expected problems. Anyway, we pulled it off and even though it wasn't technically "done" it was still mostly moist and tender, just a few tougher muscles on one side. Fun, albeit frustrating at times, experience. I imagine my second try will go smoother.

It takes time getting there. You will screw up some perfectly good cuts of meat while learning. My wife got completely tired of ribs as I kept trying to get them right.

What temperature were you cooking at? 13 hours for a 6 pound anything seems long.

Crisco

Banned
It takes time getting there. You will screw up some perfectly good cuts of meat while learning. My wife got completely tired of ribs as I kept trying to get them right.

What temperature were you cooking at? 13 hours for a 6 pound anything seems long.

225-250 for the most part. I think the increased cook time was due to two things: the coals started to go out on me during the 160-180 range, which caused the temperature to drop all the way down below 210 a few times. Also, I think I overfilled the water pan at one point, spilling some water on the coals and such, which also caused the temperatures to drop a lot. Basically lots of rookie mistakes.

AVclub

So this may be a silly question, but I figured someone might have some experience. Can I use a smoker box in my oven and slow cook meat that way? I have a GE Cafe series freestanding oven with an exhaust hood that goes outside, above it. They can bake at a pretty low temperature.

I know gas fire is cheating, but rather than fussing with briquettes all day, I think it might be nice to marinate some meats and toss them in the oven for the day. Has anyone tried this? Is it a stupid idea?

andycapps

So this may be a silly question, but I figured someone might have some experience. Can I use a smoker box in my oven and slow cook meat that way? I have a GE Cafe series freestanding oven with an exhaust hood that goes outside, above it. They can bake at a pretty low temperature.

I know gas fire is cheating, but rather than fussing with briquettes all day, I think it might be nice to marinate some meats and toss them in the oven for the day. Has anyone tried this? Is it a stupid idea?

That's an interesting question, and I'm curious to see the response, as well. For most people that don't have exhaust hood that goes outside, it'd smoke up your whole house and you'd be miserable.

I don't think it's going to give you great results, but it'd likely start your BBQ itch enough to buy a smoker.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
225-250 for the most part. I think the increased cook time was due to two things: the coals started to go out on me during the 160-180 range, which caused the temperature to drop all the way down below 210 a few times. Also, I think I overfilled the water pan at one point, spilling some water on the coals and such, which also caused the temperatures to drop a lot. Basically lots of rookie mistakes.

Yeah, that will happen. Probably has to do with the toughness of some of the meat as well. I never have re-filled the water during a cook and usually I only start with it half filled at most. You will get a feel for it. Some don't put any water in that pan.

Don't get discouraged. Everyone has snafus and issues while cooking. Heck, even now I have made mistakes that has made me opt for a plan B for dinner.

CrankyJay

Banned
That's an interesting question, and I'm curious to see the response, as well. For most people that don't have exhaust hood that goes outside, it'd smoke up your whole house and you'd be miserable.

I don't think it's going to give you great results, but it'd likely start your BBQ itch enough to buy a smoker.

They probably could, as long as they don't mind a greasy interior to their oven.

I'd imagine high bills for cooking something 8+ hours in the oven.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I have some questions on gloves.

Best gloves for grabbing the cooked meat?

Best gloves for hot charcoal?

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, that will happen. Probably has to do with the toughness of some of the meat as well. I never have re-filled the water during a cook and usually I only start with it half filled at most. You will get a feel for it. Some don't put any water in that pan.

Don't get discouraged. Everyone has snafus and issues while cooking. Heck, even now I have made mistakes that has made me opt for a plan B for dinner.

Haha yeah, my biggest takeaway lesson from the whole thing is that the water pan in the 22" WSM never needs refilling. I thought the damn thing was near empty when it was done, but when I went to dump out this morning, it was at least half full. It's huge.

Ridli

What's the cheapest I could get to use as a smoker? Weber grill with Smokenator? I've only grilled, but never smoked anything before so I'd rather get something cheaper with for now.

Man even just a basic weber will give you enough of what you need to start smoking. When I get home ill show you the ghetto ass setup I'm currently using.

I have personally never used the smokenator, but it gets strong reviews from places I trust.

If you are really concerned about price, get a nice cheap weber kettle. You will be a little constrained on space but you can do a lot with just that out of the box by properly positioning your coals.

Looks like some good cooking by BBQ GAF this past weekend.

I did a brisket and here are the results....cooked it for exactly 8hrs at 275F. Pulled it of at 195F internal temp in thickest part of the flat (probed like buttah)

Then let it rest to cool a bit before I wrapped in foil in a cooler with towels for insulation for 1.5 hrs before slicing.

15# brisket on the cooker about 4 hrs in...

Sliced.

Plated up with homemade mac & cheese

Man even just a basic weber will give you enough of what you need to start smoking. When I get home ill show you the ghetto ass setup I'm currently using.

I have personally never used the smokenator, but it gets strong reviews from places I trust.

If you are really concerned about price, get a nice cheap weber kettle. You will be a little constrained on space but you can do a lot with just that out of the box by properly positioning your coals.

That's how I started out, on a kettle and I still use it for small cooks

This is a great article on how to set up a kettle for smoking

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html

BTW up until now I've exclusively used newspaper to light my chimney, but damn if these things aren't great...

Weber Chimney starter cubes

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AN7RGG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been curious about those lately. For a while now I've been making something similar out of about equal parts paraffin wax and hardwood sawdust, but at $8 a box I really can't compete with these once you factor in the time it takes.

CrankyJay

Banned
I've been curious about those lately. For a while now I've been making something similar out of about equal parts paraffin wax and hardwood sawdust, but at $8 a box I really can't compete with these once you factor in the time it takes.

They were great, lit easily (apparently even when wet). My brother used them for a pig roast he did. He was silly and using 3 to a chimney but you only need one, lol.

Anyone know of a good marinade recipe for Spare ribs? I'm ready to prepare 3.5lbs of it tonight or tomorrow. How would I cook it in the oven?

CrankyJay

Banned
So, I've been doing some research...it seems if you want to jump into smoking but don't have a lot of money you can get by doing this configuration.

Silver 22.5 inch: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RALU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Charcoal holders are only available for the 22.5 inch model: Charcoal holders: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEMGM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And because the Silver 22.5 inch doesn't have this, get the hinged grate to be able to add more coals to the charcoal holders:

Hinged grate: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEPHKW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This set up will allow you to cook indirect with the holders on the outside and water pan in the middle or only 1 side under the hinged grate.

Your total: $134

And you also snag yourself a charcoal grill when you don't want to smoke.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
For a starter I just use a paper towel dipped in used oil. Those cubes work great but this is even cheaper. Doesnt take much to get charcoal or briquets going.

That's how I started out, on a kettle and I still use it for small cooks

This is a great article on how to set up a kettle for smoking

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html

So, I've been doing some research...it seems if you want to jump into smoking but don't have a lot of money you can get by doing this configuration...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a weber kettle since I need a new grill anyway. I might pick up a few things for it to make it easier to try smoking =]

andycapps

For a starter I just use a paper towel dipped in used oil. Those cubes work great but this is even cheaper. Doesnt take much to get charcoal or briquets going.

I'll just stick with a newspaper I bought a few months back that I can take a piece of paper out of to light the chimney. It'll probably last me another year or two at this rate.

oneils

My ex girlfriend is an awesome cook. When I heard that she added a BBQ/grill to her repertoire I got insanely jealous. She even tried to cook a whole duck in the BBQ once. That didn't work out too well but she will try just about anything.

I'm a terrible cook and this thread is just killing me. Great to see all of this awesome stuff.

CrankyJay

Banned
My ex girlfriend is an awesome cook. When I heard that she added a BBQ/grill to her repertoire I got insanely jealous. She even tried to cook a whole duck in the BBQ once. That didn't work out too well but she will try just about anything.

I'm a terrible cook and this thread is just killing me. Great to see all of this awesome stuff.

What didn't work about the duck?

I'm guessing the skin/fat didn't render well...need high heat for that.

CrankyJay

Banned
Any 18.5" WSM owners using clay saucers? What size should I be aiming for? How far down the water dish do you want it to sit?

edit: Did some research, I'm going to try a 12 to 12.5" sauce to sit slightly in the bowl.

AzerPhire

So, I've been doing some research...it seems if you want to jump into smoking but don't have a lot of money you can get by doing this configuration.

Silver 22.5 inch: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RALU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Charcoal holders are only available for the 22.5 inch model: Charcoal holders: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEMGM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And because the Silver 22.5 inch doesn't have this, get the hinged grate to be able to add more coals to the charcoal holders:

Hinged grate: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEPHKW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This set up will allow you to cook indirect with the holders on the outside and water pan in the middle or only 1 side under the hinged grate.

Your total: $134

And you also snag yourself a charcoal grill when you don't want to smoke.

What are your thoughts on the Weber versus other BBQs like the BGE, Kamado or Broil King Keg?

I currently have a mid range propane grill and want to get better results and also try different meats like ribs, pulled pork, brisket.

Also in terms of size what does GAF recommend? At most I would be cooking for 8 but for day to day stuff would just be my wife and I.

CrankyJay

Banned
What are your thoughts on the Weber versus other BBQs like the BGE, Kamado or Broil King Keg?

I currently have a mid range propane grill and want to get better results and also try different meats like ribs, pulled pork, brisket.

Also in terms of size what does GAF recommend? At most I would be cooking for 8 but for day to day stuff would just be my wife and I.

I mean, if you have money for a BGE or Kamodo go for it...

If you're looking for a lower price point to see if slow cooking/smoking is your thing, then a WSM is like half the price.

I own a 18.5" WSM and I can easily cook four 8 pound butts on there (top and bottom rack)...that would feed like 30+ people.

With a rib rack you can stand up ribs to fit more.

Here are some size comparisons if a WSM 18.5 to 22...

18.5 on LEFT, 22.5 on RIGHT

ribs1.jpg

ribs3.jpg

chicken2.jpg

DSC01756-01.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Meh, went to my local wholesale club to get a brisket for tomorrow. All gone. Every other time I go they're never out. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Got pork loin back ribs instead. Just rubbed them down and will let them sit overnight.

Chris R

Well I'm a tritip convert after tonight. Never had any tritip worth a damn before (mostly because it was coming from a single source, my friends dad) but man, the preseasoned stuff from costco is tasty. Just the right amount of sugar to bark up nice and crunchy, almost makes me want to run out and buy a slicer to make ultra thin slices next time I cook this cut of meat.

Also need to grab a butt (or something) sometime this next week so I can try some long time grilling next weekend. Costco also had competition charcoal (yes I know, still not lump) on massive sale so I grabbed some of that and might want to get my sear on for some ribeyes.

mcfrank

Helping a friend with an annual Meatfest party he does. The menu

45 lbs brisket
30 lbs pulled pork
13 racks pork ribs
15 lbs chicken thighs
10 lbs tri tip
Hot links
Smoked salmon
Bacon wrapped sausage loaf (aka bacon explosion)

We are about 12 hours into the smoke now with 10 hours to go. We are using 5 barrel smokers with 2 iGrills for easy temp monitoring. Hopefully will have some pics to post later.

Milchjon

45 lbs brisket
30 lbs pulled pork
13 racks pork ribs
15 lbs chicken thighs
10 lbs tri tip
Hot links
Smoked salmon

We are about 12 hours into the smoke now with 10 hours to go. We are using 5 barrel smokers with 2 iGrills for easy temp monitoring. Hopefully will have some pics to post later.

Sounds insane :-O

How many people will this feed?

man oh man this thread makes my mouth water...where can One learn how to BBQ? Any Tips for a novice?

Like difference between gas vs charcoal

ShinAmano

45 lbs brisket
30 lbs pulled pork
13 racks pork ribs
15 lbs chicken thighs
10 lbs tri tip
Hot links
Smoked salmon

Mother of God...how many people? Edit...80...that is a ton of meat for 80 people...I love it!

I think I am going to smoke some wings tomorrow. Keeping it easy this weekend after back to back long cooks these past two weekends.

Great thread...looking at these pics makes me hungry though.

45 lbs brisket
30 lbs pulled pork
13 racks pork ribs
15 lbs chicken thighs
10 lbs tri tip
Hot links
Smoked salmon

32061_125545567483542_4643252_n.jpg

a toast to the host that could boast the most roast!

Top Bottom