• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

I've had BBQ all over the country. If I had to rank by state...

1. North Carolina - it's not so much that their meets or sauces were better, it's their sides that took the whole package over the top for me. Their vinegar based stuff is pretty legit too.

2. Texas - just straight up masters of meat.

3. Tennessee - my goodness, just flawless perfect flavors that downright cause many many feelings of pleasure. Who'd of thunk that Memphis has the best nachos in the world?

Daaaaaaaamn that blue looks good. I bought a green one about a month ago and love it so far (though I'm seriously rethinking the color after seeing yours!). I think I've probably used it at least 5 nights a week since it arrived.

The green looks damn nice too. I ended up going blue cause I saw one while walking my dog, and just loved the look in person. We've got plans to do a lot of grilling this week, time to break it in. Then probably smoking some ribs this weekend.

I was really impressed with how well it holds temperature, it's really a very capable little smoker. It's also the first grill I've had that lets me easily smother charcoal to reuse. So nice!

I think they're just so damn versatile, be it low and slow or high heat cooking. I started my charcoal life with a knock off kettle and while it was good, the Webers are just so damn well made. It probably has the best air control I've seen on a charcoal grill. The blades have some pressure on them so they actually seal and block air.

dionysus

Yaldog
I've had a Weber charcoal smoker (not a grill) for a while. Following the directions I could never get the temperature above 190, no matter how many coals I added. I went through 3 bags of charcoal once and 6 hours smoking about 10 lbs of sausage.

Just this weekend I was trying chicken and having the same problem. Then an epiphany hit me. So the procedure on this grill is to have a pan above the coals filled with water. Now evaporation and boiling is essentially a heat dissipator. One of water's unique properties is the extreme amount of energy used to convert a liquid to a gas. I had too much water in that damn pan. Cut the water back to about 1/3rd of what I had in there and I was able to make about 15 briquets last 4 hours and the smoker staid between 225 and 250.

Smoked chicken is so good. Now that I am no longer frustrated with my smoker, I am thinking of doing turkey and brisket next. Any recs?

CrankyJay

Banned
I've had a Weber charcoal smoker (not a grill) for a while. Following the directions I could never get the temperature above 190, no matter how many coals I added. I went through 3 bags of charcoal once and 6 hours smoking about 10 lbs of sausage.

Just this weekend I was trying chicken and having the same problem. Then an epiphany hit me. So the procedure on this grill is to have a pan above the coals filled with water. Now evaporation and boiling is essentially a heat dissipator. One of water's unique properties is the extreme amount of energy used to convert a liquid to a gas. I had too much water in that damn pan. Cut the water back to about 1/3rd of what I had in there and I was able to make about 15 briquets last 4 hours and the smoker staid between 225 and 250.

Smoked chicken is so good. Now that I am no longer frustrated with my smoker, I am thinking of doing turkey and brisket next. Any recs?

Were you putting in cold water? It's supposed to be hot.

Alternately, you can ditch the water entirely and just buy a clay saucer from a hardware store and wrap it in tin foil and use that as a heat sink.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of Kingsford's product. I like lump charcoal, but I like to use briquettes for smoking since they're more consistent than lump. That said, when I do use them I like natural briquettes. I've been using Stubb's natural briquettes since I've been too damn busy to order any Wicked Good ones. I don't like how much ass the Stubb's ones produce though. That said does anyone have any experience with their all natural competition briquettes? In my area those seem to be the only 2 choices in natural briquette, again unless I order some from Wicked Good's website.

Chris R

Any suggestions for a good cut of meat for a first time smoke run? Going to be smoking whatever I end up with in a regular Weber kettle so it should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Shooting for a Saturday cook so I figure I should get the meat today so I can get a rub on it tomorrow night before cooking it. Was thinking either a nice pork butt or some ribs, but I do love a nice brisket as well.

CrankyJay

Banned
Any suggestions for a good cut of meat for a first time smoke run? Going to be smoking whatever I end up with in a regular Weber kettle so it should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Shooting for a Saturday cook so I figure I should get the meat today so I can get a rub on it tomorrow night before cooking it. Was thinking either a nice pork butt or some ribs, but I do love a nice brisket as well.

I'd go Chicken(1-2 hours depending on cut) OR Ribs (4-5 hours) OR pork shoulder (8+) in that order.

forgot about this thread.

My brother and I bought a smoker for his house. Made some wings a few weeks ago. Also made a pork shoulder, but don't have the pics of that haha

179709_10101775124163804_1699722799_n.jpg

Those wings look damn good.

So I ended up finding some Royal Oak natural briquettes and smoked some ribs today with a mix of them and Stubbs. Plus a few Apple wood chunks. I only managed to get 1 or 2 photos since I had to pick up some family at the airport, coming back from Florida this morning. So my time ended up being really pressed to get these done. Hence not trimming off the chine bone area. Though I did get the skirt trimmed and the membrane off the back. Here's a photo of them about 30 minutes from being done after I threw just a bit of sauce on them.

9171089970_86ceaa0b4c_h.jpg

The Weber worked amazingly well. For about 90% of the smoke it just took little adjustments here and there to keep the temp right where I wanted it. They came out great, tender but not too tender, really juicy and flavor full. Had a nice smoke ring too, I'm sorry I didn't grab a photo of one of them done. Everyone was so hungry when they came off, no one wanted to give me a chance to take a photo of them.

Chris R

Ended up with some St. Louis pork ribs. Smoked ok but I need to either come up with a new method or replace the wood chips. Started with a foil plate but had to move to foil pouches but still the foil reacted with the charcoal couldn't be reused. Resulted in a bunch of baby sitting over the 6 hours the ribs were in. Just had the meat over a tray of water with the coals on the other side of the Weber with the soaked chips above. Tried to keep it as close to 225 that I could but there was some fluctuations.

Pretty good smoke ring though, but I'm not sure if I'll go with the St. Louis ribs again (actually, I'm thinking these were closer to spare ribs with the extra bone and cartilage that was in the bit I had). Good flavor as well. Nice little Saturday project. Time for more research before next weekend!

With 4th of July coming up I would like you guys to help me out BBQ gaf what are some good ways you guys prepare ribs include ribs sauces tips anything helps gaf

Ridli

With 4th of July coming up I would like you guys to help me out BBQ gaf what are some good ways you guys prepare ribs include ribs sauces tips anything helps gaf

My current favorite rib sauce is the Fischer and Wieser Rasberry/Chipotle. It's a nice blend of sweet and spicy, which is how I love to do my ribs. You can find it at costco, but it's going to be hit or miss if you can get it in a local supermarket. Good news is, Amazon has it for sale in numerous quantities. It also tastes delicious over cream cheese w/ crackers as the easiest hors d'oeuvre you can make.

For rubs, remember that pork reacts well to sweet, so don't be afraid to put some sugar in there. Personally I use a simple rub of sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground chiltepin, along with anything else I want to experiment with (which means whatever else I have in the kitchen). Chiltepin may not always be available everywhere, but feel free to substitute your favorite chile powder.

However, please keep in mind that sauce/rub recommendations are incredibly subjective. In the end, you are the one that has to eat them so make sure it's something you like.

For the technical stuff, no post that I make will be as comprehensive as the guides that are up at amazingribs.com. If you have never worked with a rack of ribs, at the very least make sure you learn about cutting and trimming.

ShinAmano

Smoked a brisket yesterday. I injected it with a mixture of beefbroth, beef marinade and bscon grease. Needless to say it was awesome. Ill post pics later.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

did some babyback ribs the other day, the rub was penzys southern rib style and then i added thyme. And then my homemade bbq sauce. my fiancé loved it.

ShinAmano

Here we go...

6lb Flat
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/9178906814/

Injection marinade of broth, and bacon grease
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/9176689671/

12 hours after the last pic all rubbed down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/9178906670/

About 8 hours later
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/9176689505/

So it was tasty...not as much of a smoke ring as I would have thought. I think the injection worked great and will continue with that method moving forward.

Also can anyone tell me how to have the pics show up when I use the image tag? Is flikr just not supported on gaf?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Here we go...

6lb Flat

About 8 hours later

So it was tasty...not as much of a smoke ring as I would have thought. I think the injection worked great and will continue with that method moving forward.

Also can anyone tell me how to have the pics show up when I use the image tag? Is flikr just not supported on gaf?
when viewing your picture, click share, they have the [img ] code right there. copy paste here. done.

Been lurking in this thread for awhile and got inspired. I've smoked on a kettle grill before but never had a dedicated smoker. I decided to go with an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann). I got it for a couple reasons, one the price. $50 + a couple bucks extra to mod it (more on that in a bit) is something I couldn't pass up. Sure some day I'll upgrade to something better but spending $300 on a WSM when we just had twins was something I couldn't justify.

Two, I also was drawn to being able to mod it. I like to tinker and thought the minimal amount of modding that needed to be done would be fun. I ended up drilling holes in the charcoal pan (a must), buying a real thermometer which I installed on the hood (the one they give you literally just says Cold, Ideal, Hot), I installed the legs on the outside for easy access to the charcoal pan, and I used a Smokey Joe charcoal grate which fits like a charm and works great.

I fired up the ECB twice so far. Once during Memorial Day to make ribs (sorry no pics of those) and today to do a trial run of pork butt (picnic roast) for the 4th. The ECB did a decent job. For the ribs it took me some wresting with the temps to get a good temperature, but come to find out it mostly had to do with the briquettes I was using. I used the Kingsford Competition briquettes and since I never used them before they burned really fast so I was constantly refilling the tray. For today's cook, I got just the regular blue bag Kingsford and things went way better than last time. Temps held, charcoal burned as expected, and lasted throughout the entire cook with real issue.
Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share my experience. Now on to the pics.
Here's my smoker:
KsXsKlR.jpg

The only real mods you can see here is the thermometer and the legs put on "backwards"
nR0D3tx.jpg

Here's the butt just before I wrapped it.
VcNjvJw.jpg

After resting and finishing up in the foil. The bone practically jumped out of the meat.
QptLO4U.jpg

The smoke ring.
Pork tasted great and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the 4th.

So I wanna take a shot at smoking a brisket. I'm thinking a rub with some injection.

Anyone have any good rub or injection recipes? I prefer sweeter flavors.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Been lurking in this thread for awhile and got inspired. I've smoked on a kettle grill before but never had a dedicated smoker. I decided to go with an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann). I got it for a couple reasons, one the price. $50 + a couple bucks extra to mod it (more on that in a bit) is something I couldn't pass up. Sure some day I'll upgrade to something better but spending $300 on a WSM when we just had twins was something I couldn't justify.

Two, I also was drawn to being able to mod it. I like to tinker and thought the minimal amount of modding that needed to be done would be fun. I ended up drilling holes in the charcoal pan (a must), buying a real thermometer which I installed on the hood (the one they give you literally just says Cold, Ideal, Hot), I installed the legs on the outside for easy access to the charcoal pan, and I used a Smokey Joe charcoal grate which fits like a charm and works great.

I fired up the ECB twice so far. Once during Memorial Day to make ribs (sorry no pics of those) and today to do a trial run of pork butt (picnic roast) for the 4th. The ECB did a decent job. For the ribs it took me some wresting with the temps to get a good temperature, but come to find out it mostly had to do with the briquettes I was using. I used the Kingsford Competition briquettes and since I never used them before they burned really fast so I was constantly refilling the tray. For today's cook, I got just the regular blue bag Kingsford and things went way better than last time. Temps held, charcoal burned as expected, and lasted throughout the entire cook with real issue.
Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share my experience. Now on to the pics.
Here's my smoker:

Pork tasted great and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the 4th.

Good stuff. Yeah the Kingsford competition burns hotter, faster and leaves alot less ash, but you end up using much more of it. Your finished product came out really good. That bark is nice and I am sure it was tasty.

So I wanna take a shot at smoking a brisket. I'm thinking a rub with some injection.

Anyone have any good rub or injection recipes? I prefer sweeter flavors.

I really have never used an injection for brisket. Not that I am totally against it, just never used it and haven't seen my brisket as lacking in any way so far. As far as rub, I use a rub from Salt Lick, a restaurant in Austin - www.saltlickbbq.com I sprinkle a light payer of brown sugar over that as well.

The_Salt_Lick_Original_Dry_Rub.jpg

Not sure that is available where you are though. I think out of the nationally available stuff, the Weber branded stuff is good, so is the McCormick stuff. I would avoid the stuff from Emeril, I find all of his stuff extremely salty.

dskillzhtown

Here we go...

6lb Flat

About 8 hours later

Right-click on the image, you will get options for the size image you want to put into your post. Then right-click on that image to get the image URL that you can put in the IMG tag.

9178906814_a317c6a902_c.jpg

9176689671_d1cdde8e1a_c.jpg

9178906670_4dd2840e89_c.jpg

9176689505_6593be6632_c.jpg

The smoke looks good. The smoke ring is cool for pictures, but has zero effect on taste, which is most important. How much wood did you use during the smoke? I use a crapload usually through the entire smoke I have some chunks in there.

I like to do the 3-2-1 method for ribs. I use a really basic rub that is based on one Alton Brown does on Good Eats, that leans way to the sweeter side. When it comes to pork and ribs I prefer sweeter to hot. I do 8 parts sweet (like brown sugar) 3 parts salt (like kosher) 1 part hot (cayenne pepper or something similar) and 1 part mix of seasonings (stuff like onion powder, old bay, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, what ever you like etc etc) Some times I'll do paprika as the 1 part hot. It's all about what you like though and experimenting.

I'm sure with the links you've already gotten you can find a way better explanation for the 3-2-1 method than I could give you.

For the ribs it took me some wresting with the temps to get a good temperature, but come to find out it mostly had to do with the briquettes I was using. I used the Kingsford Competition briquettes and since I never used them before they burned really fast so I was constantly refilling the tray. For today's cook, I got just the regular blue bag Kingsford and things went way better than last time. Temps held, charcoal burned as expected, and lasted throughout the entire cook with real issue.

Makes me glad I wasn't able to find any this weekend to play with. I did find some Royal Oak natural briquettes. So I did mine with a mixture of half them, and half Stubs natural briquettes. Both worked great, held their temps, burned consistently, and took only minimal management from me of the air vents. I laid out total 40 of each in alternating layers. For my 6 hour cook I ended up only burning, just a little bit more than half of them.

That pork butt looked damn tasty by the way.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've got a 3lb brisket that I'm going to try to cook tomorrow. I've got some rub and beef broth to soak. Problem is I have a gas grill. I've seen a recipe that recommends putting down some small dry sticks on the foil and get them to smoke.

Anyone cooked one of these on a gas grill? What about a good sauce recipe? HELP ME , MEAT GAF!

Ended up with some St. Louis pork ribs. Smoked ok but I need to either come up with a new method or replace the wood chips. Started with a foil plate but had to move to foil pouches but still the foil reacted with the charcoal couldn't be reused. Resulted in a bunch of baby sitting over the 6 hours the ribs were in. Just had the meat over a tray of water with the coals on the other side of the Weber with the soaked chips above. Tried to keep it as close to 225 that I could but there was some fluctuations.

Pretty good smoke ring though, but I'm not sure if I'll go with the St. Louis ribs again (actually, I'm thinking these were closer to spare ribs with the extra bone and cartilage that was in the bit I had). Good flavor as well. Nice little Saturday project. Time for more research before next weekend!

St. Louis ribs are essentially trimmed up spare ribs.

andycapps

I've got a 3lb brisket that I'm going to try to cook tomorrow. I've got some rub and beef broth to soak. Problem is I have a gas grill. I've seen a recipe that recommends putting down some small dry sticks on the foil and get them to smoke.

Anyone cooked one of these on a gas grill? What about a good sauce recipe? HELP ME , MEAT GAF!

A brisket on a grill? The only way you could possibly do that would be to only use one of the burners on the far side and a water pan under the meat. Have you used your gas grill for smoking before?

desertdroog

Here is what my friends smoked for the Fourth of July, yesterday.

Box of Applewood;
frnwnge.jpg

Chicken, Pork Belly and Bacon
Bie7vpz.jpg

They then took the smoked, glazed with Arizona honey, bacon and pork belly and grilled it after (note the candy looking piece of Pork Belly on the lower right...yeah, it tasted like it looked. Natures candy)
Uz82ztY.jpg

My friend also provided hand pickled Hot Banana and Cajun Bell peppers from his garden.
dSvzaKU.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
BBQ plate...

* Smoked loinback ribs, used a mix of hickory and apple wood.
* Smoked bbq beans with bacon, sat below the ribs to catch the drippings
* Mac Salad
* Home made jalepeno garlic dill pickles

Uw6r8hU.jpg

x2E4zOU.jpg

Ridli

I had a good time over the fourth visiting some friends and playing the traveling chef. We had a good chunk of people and I ended up preparing about a dozen lbs of pulled pork and six racks of spareribs w/ assorted tips. Unfortunately the gin made me a bit forgetful on pics (sorry).

But I did want to say I had a hell of a time using the gas smoker we borrowed from my friends neighbor. It was a upright propane deal from Charbroil and a bit of a PITA. I expected an easier time of controlling temps with a gas fuel source, but even on low settings it ran hot and went through all the water in the basin in record time. As soon as the water was out It could jump up to 300 super quick. And on top of that the wood chip basin being directly under the racks meant I ended up with a super bark on the membrane side of my meat and not much on top of the ribs.

I'm sure there are some gas smoking setups that can work, but I'd warn anyone away from the charbroils. It'll be nice to get back home to charcoal next week.

Anyone got a good no-hassle ribs recipe/cooking guide? I've got my propane grill, some St. Louis short ribs in the freezer and some BBQ sauce. What's the easiest way to get tasty ribs?

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone got a good no-hassle ribs recipe/cooking guide? I've got my propane grill, some St. Louis short ribs in the freezer and some BBQ sauce. What's the easiest way to get tasty ribs?

Do you care about smoke flavor at all? If not, just bake 'em off in the oven at 275 or 300 until fork tender, then glaze with BBQ sauce and crisp them up on your propane grill.

You can get these smoke cannisters made for propane grills. Also things like smoke boxes where you can add wood chips to a propane grill. That might be more of a hassle than you want though.

Another option is mixing up liquid smoke and honey glazing it on the meat, wrap in foil and cook low and slow on the propane grill. I've had great results from that just don't get your temp to high which should be no problem on a propane grill.

This might help too.
http://www.bbq-smoker-guide.com/ribs-gas-grill-smoker.html

andycapps

Do you care about smoke flavor at all? If not, just bake 'em off in the oven at 275 or 300 until fork tender, then glaze with BBQ sauce and crisp them up on your propane grill.
This, or if you can spring for it you could get a Weber kettle grill and go the charcoal route for tastier ribs.

dskillzhtown

YouTube has the answer to everything BBQ Ribs on a Gas Grill

This guy knows what he is talking about. IMO, charcoal/wood would be the best option, but your ribs should turnout damned good if you follow the video I posted.

dskillzhtown

I had a good time over the fourth visiting some friends and playing the traveling chef. We had a good chunk of people and I ended up preparing about a dozen lbs of pulled pork and six racks of spareribs w/ assorted tips. Unfortunately the gin made me a bit forgetful on pics (sorry).

But I did want to say I had a hell of a time using the gas smoker we borrowed from my friends neighbor. It was a upright propane deal from Charbroil and a bit of a PITA. I expected an easier time of controlling temps with a gas fuel source, but even on low settings it ran hot and went through all the water in the basin in record time. As soon as the water was out It could jump up to 300 super quick. And on top of that the wood chip basin being directly under the racks meant I ended up with a super bark on the membrane side of my meat and not much on top of the ribs.

I'm sure there are some gas smoking setups that can work, but I'd warn anyone away from the charbroils. It'll be nice to get back home to charcoal next week.

I do not want to bee that guy claiming Charcoal/Wood or bust, because I do believe there is a market and a place for propane grills. Throwing some chicken on for dinner when you don't want to heat up your house. Gas grills are great for hot dogs, burgers, and sausage. But when I think about real BBQ: brisket, pulled pork, whole chicken, etc. Wood/Charcoal can't be beat.

Dennis

Banned
BBQ plate...

* Smoked loinback ribs, used a mix of hickory and apple wood.
* Smoked bbq beans with bacon, sat below the ribs to catch the drippings
* Mac Salad
* Home made jalepeno garlic dill pickles

Uw6r8hU.jpg

x2E4zOU.jpg

oh god this looks too good to exist.......

YouTube has the answer to everything BBQ Ribs on a Gas Grill

This guy knows what he is talking about. IMO, charcoal/wood would be the best option, but your ribs should turnout damned good if you follow the video I posted.
This is how I did ribs before I got a charcoal grill. It works great but you need to be attentive.
I do not want to bee that guy claiming Charcoal/Wood or bust, because I do believe there is a market and a place for propane grills. Throwing some chicken on for dinner when you don't want to heat up your house. Gas grills are great for hot dogs, burgers, and sausage. But when I think about real BBQ: brisket, pulled pork, whole chicken, etc. Wood/Charcoal can't be beat.
I love my gas grill. It's quicker, cleaner, and makes great steaks, burgers, dogs, and chicken. I use it as my "daily" cooker. The charcoal grill and especially the smoker is a weekend thing.

Ridli

There is certainly a place for propane. I have a propane grill for those same exact reasons. I'm mostly writing about my experience attempting to smoke pork using a propane setup that is being marketed as a smoker, but preforms poorly at its intended task.

I'm just sharing my experiences with the Char Broil vertical smoker. No smoker should have preformed like that, regardless of heat source. You can use propane for this task, but I would warn GAF from purchasing Char Broil's products specifically.

desertdroog

Memorize this:

4-3-2-1 Spice Rub
Combine in a small bowl or resealable container:

4 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Makes3/4 cup

BBQ-Gaf, those of you who have smoked beef ribs, what wood did you use? I typically do my pork with Apple, but I'm not sure how that would go with beef ribs.

Crisco

Banned
Are there any grocery store chains that sell whole packer briskets? Even Costco seems to only sell flats.

Speaking of Costco , I cooked a pair of their pre-rubbed spare ribs today and they turned out awesome. Really great if you just want a no hassle prep. Right out of the package and onto the smoker. Cheap too, $20 for two full racks.

Are there any grocery store chains that sell whole packer briskets? Even Costco seems to only sell flats.

Speaking of Costco , I cooked a pair of their pre-rubbed spare ribs today and they turned out awesome. Really great if you just want a no hassle prep. Right out of the package and onto the smoker. Cheap too, $20 for two full racks.
Walmart does. They are very hit and miss though for quality.

Made three racks of baby backs today. Was extremely pleased with the results. The definite favorite was the guava glaze i made for one rack, definitely need to keep that one for the future.

Log4Girlz

Walmart does. They are very hit and miss though for quality.

Made three racks of baby backs today. Was extremely pleased with the results. The definite favorite was the guava glaze i made for one rack, definitely need to keep that one for the future.

Guava? You latino?

Top Bottom