• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Rib racks are usually only good for smallish racks of ribs. Anytime you get racks that are really thick and meaty they end up pressing up against each other. Two rib racks spaced out in a four slot rack is perfect though. Honestly it just makes it a little more convenient. A 22 inch weber can accommodate 4 racks of rib with or without a metal rack. You'll just have them overlapped a bit and will have to rotate them. Which you have to do with the metal rack anyway.

Key is time and moisture. I like to spray the racks down with chicken broth whenever i tend to the coals or rotate them.

jchap

I recently rigged up a mini WSM with a PID controller and fan combo for smoking on the go. Made some kick ass mesquite smoked ribs and brisket for the test run this past weekend. The water bowl made it surprisingly easy to hold sub 200 degree temps when cold smoking at the start.

ag-my001

Some friends and I are having a smoke off tomorrow. I'm doing a brisket, one friend a turkey, the other pork ribs and butt. Should be awesome, but I'm nervous having never done a brisket before. Going with a simple salt and pepper rub, then throw the whole packer on at 225. Just waiting for the kamado to stabilize. Any tips for tomorrow morning when this thing is done/close to it?

GiJoccin

Some friends and I are having a smoke off tomorrow. I'm doing a brisket, one friend a turkey, the other pork ribs and butt. Should be awesome, but I'm nervous having never done a brisket before. Going with a simple salt and pepper rub, then throw the whole packer on at 225. Just waiting for the kamado to stabilize. Any tips for tomorrow morning when this thing is done/close to it?

don't freak out over the stall! stick to your guns

also, think about wrapping it at some point (preferably with butcher paper if you have it, or aluminum foil)

ag-my001

Oh, I'm not even going to be awake for the stall. I set my probe alarm for 200 and put the receiver near the bed.

As for wrapping, I haven't been doing it for anything lately. The kamado keeps air flow very low, so there isn't a ton of moisture loss. I'll put a pan under the meat to catch the juices, then inject them back into the meat before resting it.

Anyone aware of this new product called the Slow n' Sear? It's $80 and basically a new version of the Smokenator, and Meathead from AmazingRibs is already crazy about it.

I'm considering ordering one.

slow-n-sear-300x300.jpg

water on the left, charcoal and wood on the right

Got mine today! It looks very nice. Can't wait to try it out, although I'm going to be busy for the next few weekends :(

MRSA

Banned
Anyone aware of this new product called the Slow n' Sear? It's $80 and basically a new version of the Smokenator, and Meathead from AmazingRibs is already crazy about it.

I'm considering ordering one.

slow-n-sear-300x300.jpg

water on the left, charcoal and wood on the right

I like it better than the Smokenator from just looking at it, maybe I'll get it next spring. Adding fuel should be much easier to manage than the Smokenator.

On a side note, its not que but I bought a Weber Q1200 from Target for $100, they're clearancing all their BBQ/Grilling stuff again.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I like it better than the Smokenator from just looking at it, maybe I'll get it next spring. Adding fuel should be much easier to manage than the Smokenator.

On a side note, its not que but I bought a Weber Q1200 from Target for $100, they're clearancing all their BBQ/Grilling stuff again.

Nice. In the past, the local Target locations don't put any BBQ stuff on clearance. That is part of the curse of living in a region where you can BBQ year-round.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
What is BBQ GAF's opinion on the Bradley Smoker?
It's about 250 at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FFYHM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know a buddy with one, but he only uses it to keep stuff warm. Personally, I have never encountered an electric smoker that gives the same taste as wood/charcoal, they also lack alot of the control that a conventional smoker could give you.

It's your money, but I would hit up YouTube to learn more about smoking meat in general and decide what will work for you. Traeger makes pellet smokers that I know some people swear by if they don't have the time to fiddle with a conventional smoker. I believe they go higher than 250 degrees as well.

Either way, do some research. I bought my mom a pellet smoker thinking she would like the fact it was a "set and forget" type deal, but she said the fiddling was the best part of BBQing.

Word, Target clearance this time of year is really nice. Late last week I got a Spirit E-210 for $280. Charcoal will always be my preference but this is a damn nice grill.

I love late summer clearance season at Target.

Are you planning to pick up the folding stand for the Q? I bought the 1000 several months ago for camping/tailgating and it's great, but I really think it'd benefit from the folding stand.

phanphare

Banned
+1 for the Target clearance

last year I got a 22" Weber One Touch Silver for $50 thanks to this thread

I had done all my research on what I wanted and was about to pull the trigger on the 22" One Touch Gold for $160. I even went to the hardware store to make sure they had one and almost bought it on the spot. glad I didn't because I came home and saw in this thread that Target might have the Silvers on clearance. I called my local store, confirmed that there were some still there, and went and got it. the only downside is it doesn't have the fancy ash catcher mechanism thing but for $100 extra it wasn't worth it in the slightest. I just put a bucket under there instead haha. works just as well.

it's almost football season too, I'm getting pumped. the fall is grilling/smoking season for me.

MRSA

Banned
Word, Target clearance this time of year is really nice. Late last week I got a Spirit E-210 for $280. Charcoal will always be my preference but this is a damn nice grill.

I love late summer clearance season at Target.

Are you planning to pick up the folding stand for the Q? I bought the 1000 several months ago for camping/tailgating and it's great, but I really think it'd benefit from the folding stand.

I don't think I'm gonna pay $70 for the cart when I just paid $100 for the actual grill. I'm really probably only going to use it as a compliment to my kettle to cook burgers and stuff while the kettle smokes some ribs or something.

Also this thing seems perfect for tailgating.

Grilling chicken wings for the first time tomorrow night. Any neat advice?

Planning to apply a spicy rub (Slap Ya Mama hot) several hours before, then reverse sear (indirect for ~15min and then sear over direct).

just ordered one of these, can't wait to try it out
Awesome! I haven't tried mine yet but planning to next month. It certainly looks high quality.

Stasis

We were about to go get a Weber Genesis to replace an old propane grill that's sat outside many a winter (Quebec) but we inherited a decent 2 year old propane from my gfs parents. Don't remember the brand but its not bad.

Now I'm thinking I wanna use some of the previously reserved Genesis cash on maybe an egg, or a kettle. I'm intrigued by the slow n' sear as well. I've never cooked on anything but a standard propane grill and we're limited by our short summers.

Any general recommendations? Is it at all feasible as it starts to get colder? Spring/Fall up here, say. I need to start researching but just browsing pics in this thread... driving us crazy.

phanphare

Banned
We were about to go get a Weber Genesis to replace an old propane grill that's sat outside many a winter (Quebec) but we inherited a decent 2 year old propane from my gfs parents. Don't remember the brand but its not bad.

Now I'm thinking I wanna use some of the previously reserved Genesis cash on maybe an egg, or a kettle. I'm intrigued by the slow n' sear as well. I've never cooked on anything but a standard propane grill and we're limited by our short summers.

Any general recommendations? Is it at all feasible as it starts to get colder? Spring/Fall up here, say. I need to start researching but just browsing pics in this thread... driving us crazy.

eggs are great, they really are, but for what they do they are way too pricey imo. honestly what they excel at is high heat grilling. searing steaks, grilling pizzas, etc. they're also very economical with fuel because of how well insulated they are but again if you get a standard egg you're gonna be out like $1000-1300.

perhaps I'm just cheap and biased but my weber kettle has treated me very well. great grill. great smoker. got it for $50. even when it's not on sale you're still only looking at $100-150 depending on which model and size you go for.

Awesome! I haven't tried mine yet but planning to next month. It certainly looks high quality.

yeah I can't wait to try it out. gonna be doing a brisket in 2 weeks I believe. having the water be in the same unit as the coals was what pushed me over the edge. now I don't have to use a separate water pan to block the direct heat and provide moisture. so now I'll have an increased cooking area and also won't have to boil water for the water pan before a cook.

I love my BGE. Awesome as a smoker and grill. Cold weather really won't affect it as far as smoking is concerned (I've seen crazy pics of snow-surrounded eggs chugging away). Great community also (plenty of forums). One of the best things I've purchased.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I love my BGE. Awesome as a smoker and grill. Cold weather really won't affect it as far as smoking is concerned (I've seen crazy pics of snow-surrounded eggs chugging away). Great community also (plenty of forums). One of the best things I've purchased.

love mine as well. I smoke on it year round, whether there's the rare icicles hanging from my roof or 105 outside.

otapnam

Just get a genesis and a 22" one touch gold.

You can use your genesis for grilling and the kettle for smoking . itll only cost you 100-150 or less(used) for the kettle too

n64coder

love mine as well. I smoke on it year round, whether there's the rare icicles hanging from my roof or 105 outside.

As much as I like grilling, I'm ok with packing up my grill for the winter and focusing on baking instead. I do enjoy making stews/roasts/casseroles during the winter months.

captive

As much as I like grilling, I'm ok with packing up my grill for the winter and focusing on baking instead. I do enjoy making stews/roasts/casseroles during the winter months.

that's great you can bake a cake on the egg!

Not sure I would ever try it but I've ready you can. I do soups and chilis on it my self.

ReAxion

It's your money, but I would hit up YouTube to learn more about smoking meat in general and decide what will work for you. Traeger makes pellet smokers that I know some people swear by if they don't have the time to fiddle with a conventional smoker. I believe they go higher than 250 degrees as well.

I got a Traeger recently and its highest number setting is 375, with a High setting I haven't used yet.

Stasis

Thanks for the advice guys. Two different sides to consider now. Maybe I'll start with the Kettle since its so cheap, and then decide whether to get a Genesis or Egg after we've spent time using the Kettle and gifted propane grill. So we can figure out which is more worth upgrading for us.

UrokeJoe

Thanks for the advice guys. Two different sides to consider now. Maybe I'll start with the Kettle since its so cheap, and then decide whether to get a Genesis or Egg after we've spent time using the Kettle and gifted propane grill. So we can figure out which is more worth upgrading for us.

Weber Kettle is always a good start. So versatile and has a huge knowledge base on the internet. You really can't go wrong with buying one if you want to cook outside.

These are some good resources for starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb

and

http://tvwbb.com/forum.php

So I grilled chicken wings for the first time, and they were the best chicken wings I've ever had.

I got 12 fresh whole wings, rinsed them off, cut them up, discarded tips, patted them dry and tossed them in a couple freezer bags with some peanut oil and Slap Ya Mama hot seasoning. I let them chill for about 8 hours. I made the buffalo sauce with 1/2 cup Crystal hot sauce, 1/2 cup butter and 2 minced garlic cloves. I let that chill, too.

Grilled over indirect heat for ~20 mins and then seared for ~5 each side. Reverse sear method is where it's at. Tossed in the sauce afterwards and BOOM. Crispy on the outside, juicy and spicy on the inside, delicious sauce, best wings ever.

n64coder

that's great you can bake a cake on the egg!

Not sure I would ever try it but I've ready you can. I do soups and chilis on it my self.

I've done peach cobbler in a kamado. Very tasty.

Yes, I've done baking in my grill because I didn't want to have the heat be in the house. In the winter time, it's the opposite since I do want the oven/stove heat to help heat the house. Plus, I don't want to deal with shoveling snow off my deck/grill to use it and stand outside in the cold where the grill is inefficient because it's trying to overcome the outside weather.

It gives me a break from BBQ because if I have it too much like I do over the summer, I do get tired of it.

MRSA

Banned

Check Craigslist or if you're lucky Target for clearances on all their BBQ stuff. You can pick up a Weber kettle for cheap on CL if you look.

I have two BBQ opinion questions but I think I will separate them into separate posts. Here is the first one:

Kirk or Picard?

Just kidding. Obviously it's Picard.

Ok: I have a Genesis, whatever model was new 3 years ago. When I decided I wanted to get into smoking, I bought the smoker box attachment and with some experience learned how to use it effectively. I'm not bragging when I say I smoke shit pretty damn good and like most of us, I imagine I'm much more critical of the outcomes than those that enjoy eating what I made.

Confidence in outcome aside, I have refill that smoker box every 45 minutes to an hour or so, which means opening the pit and also means that I have to be very attentive for 12 hours or whatever. How can I up my game? I don't want a Traeger style where you fire and forget. As an earlier poster quoted his Mom, tending is half the fun, but I would like to not have to be so damn on it. That way I could start a smoke at midnight and still get some sleep with only a couple of wake ups to check and re-up wood. Have a brisket ready for that noon game!

Also willing to spend SOME money but maybe not BGE money... Something more mobile than my Genesis would be nice too, that also has more capacity. I think I could compete in small local BBQ contests.

What say you BBQ GAF? Any advice? Got a recommendation or am I where I need to be already? My daydream image is one of those big ass black metal ones, but maybe that's more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks if you read this, second question incoming and it will be much shorter, I promise!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Whoa, hey, didn't even know there was a thread for BBQ! I just finished eating a couple delicious burgers I just grilled in my backyard. Gotta kick off Labor Day weekend right.

Made them on Baby's First Grill, aka a $20 Char-Broil grill I bought at Target a couple years ago. Hey, it gets the job done, even if it's not even waist high.

painey

Whoa, hey, didn't even know there was a thread for BBQ! I just finished eating a couple delicious burgers I just grilled in my backyard. Gotta kick off Labor Day weekend right.

Made them on Baby's First Grill, aka a $20 Char-Broil grill I bought at Target a couple years ago. Hey, it gets the job done, even if it's not even waist high.

cooking burgers over foil on a bbq.. you might as well have cooked them in a pan in your kitchen

captive

cooking burgers over foil on a bbq.. you might as well have cooked them in a pan in your kitchen

damn, no need to be so harsh. In some parts of the country BBQ is hamburgers and hotdogs on a propane grill. :)

MRSA

Banned
I have two BBQ opinion questions but I think I will separate them into separate posts. Here is the first one:

Kirk or Picard?

Just kidding. Obviously it's Picard.

Ok: I have a Genesis, whatever model was new 3 years ago. When I decided I wanted to get into smoking, I bought the smoker box attachment and with some experience learned how to use it effectively. I'm not bragging when I say I smoke shit pretty damn good and like most of us, I imagine I'm much more critical of the outcomes than those that enjoy eating what I made.

Confidence in outcome aside, I have refill that smoker box every 45 minutes to an hour or so, which means opening the pit and also means that I have to be very attentive for 12 hours or whatever. How can I up my game? I don't want a Traeger style where you fire and forget. As an earlier poster quoted his Mom, tending is half the fun, but I would like to not have to be so damn on it. That way I could start a smoke at midnight and still get some sleep with only a couple of wake ups to check and re-up wood. Have a brisket ready for that noon game!

Also willing to spend SOME money but maybe not BGE money... Something more mobile than my Genesis would be nice too, that also has more capacity. I think I could compete in small local BBQ contests.

What say you BBQ GAF? Any advice? Got a recommendation or am I where I need to be already? My daydream image is one of those big ass black metal ones, but maybe that's more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks if you read this, second question incoming and it will be much shorter, I promise!

Get a Weber kettle, it does everything, literally.

Also this is your last chance to stock up on Kingsford blue, $10 for 37lbs.

Hey there BBQ GAF! I just found this thread and I'm a chef at a from scratch bbq restaurant. Just here to tell you about our

PULLED BACON.

Thats right, we slow smoke a seasoned pork belly, after we cure it in house and pull it apart.

Then we put it on the flattop wuth a press and boom crispy pulled bacon sandwiches. Its pretty fuckin good.

Im going to have to read through this entire thread now ...

Get a Weber kettle, it does everything, literally.

Also this is your last chance to stock up on Kingsford blue, $10 for 37lbs.

Hey thanks for the reply man. The Kettle seems to be the overwhelmingly popular option.

Is Blue going away or just because it's on sale for a Labor Day?

otapnam

Hey thanks for the reply man. The Kettle seems to be the overwhelmingly popular option.

Is Blue going away or just because it's on sale for a Labor Day?

Blue is on sale on memorial day jul4th. N labor day. Its 50% off. If u grill or bbq alot you will quickly understand why ppl stock up :)

Paskil

Just tossed two six pound pork shoulders in the smoker. I really need to start writing down the different rub mixtures I throw together. Each time, it ends up different. I used turbinado sugar, ground peppercorn, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and a little bit of onion powder, cayenne, and ground mustard. Smoking with cherry and hickory. I usually don't put salt in my rubs since I tend to dry brine most of my meats, overnight.

Will probably take 10 or so hours to complete, so will be shredding them up and using them for dinner tomorrow night and dinner/lunch through the week. I only cook for myself so I tend to freeze and give away a lot of the meat I smoke. Pretty excited, it's been a few months since I last smoked something (I think June, geez).

Top Bottom