• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You're welcome. I was scared of doing brisket at first, and I'd still recommend doing pork for a while until you get the hang of it, but really brisket is about the same, it just takes longer to cook.

I actually find pork butt takes longer to cook because its so much thicker. Also brisket doesn't have to take forever, by all means cook brisket how you want and enjoy it. But this brisket I made for fathers day took 6.5 hours, it was 12lbs.

4 hours of smoke @ 225 and into the foil. Raise the temp to 275-300. Till 205 internal temp.

Out of the foil.

It was so tender.

Also some chickens I did. Brining plus the rub recipe I use have gotten loads of compliments.

I actually find pork butt takes longer to cook because its so much thicker. Also brisket doesn't have to take forever, by all means cook brisket how you want and enjoy it. But this brisket I made for fathers day took 6.5 hours, it was 12lbs.

4 hours of smoke @ 225 and into the foil. Raise the temp to 275-300. Till 205 internal temp.
Have you guys found that the foil is a really important part of smoking? I've never used foil because I read that it prevents the bark from getting that almost crispy texture, but sometimes I end up with parts of my meat a little dry. Maybe foil would help that? I've also been working on pork baby back ribs, and it seems like only 1 out of every 5 times or so do I get them so tender they are falling off the bone. I'm not sure what the problem is, I try to be consistent with every step of the process...

captive

Wow those chickens look beautiful. Makes my mouth water.
thanks. The recipes I use are fantastic, I'll post them if people are interested.

Have you guys found that the foil is a really important part of smoking? I've never used foil because I read that it prevents the bark from getting that almost crispy texture, but sometimes I end up with parts of my meat a little dry. Maybe foil would help that? I've also been working on pork baby back ribs, and it seems like only 1 out of every 5 times or so do I get them so tender they are falling off the bone. I'm not sure what the problem is, I try to be consistent with every step of the process...
Yes it does make the bark less crunchy.

However, I foil for several reasons. 1. After a certain point the meat literally can't take any more smoke. 2. The stall, foil speeds meat through the stall because the moisture the meat is giving off can't evaporate when its in the foil, thus evaporative cooling does not occur.

If someone has 14 or more hours to smoke a brisket, more power to them. I've got a 9 month old and my wife would be less than pleased if I were monitoring and getting up that early to do meat for that long.

The only meat I don't foil regularly is chicken & turkey, as they don't need the low slow to break down the meat. I'll foil them if they've gotten too much smoke and the skin is turning too dark. The second chicken posted above, I should have foiled, its a little too dark for my taste.

ag-my001

1) Foil can shorten cook times for long cooks like brisket or pork butt.

2) Foil can be an easy way to keep the juices that leave the meat so you can use them later. If you use a drip pan, they'll often evaporate or get burnt.

3) Foil can help tenderize the meat, at the cost of the bark. If you want fall of the bones pork ribs, foil is the way to go.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I never foil. I think captive and ag have listed reasons to do so, but I have never felt the need to. The only reason I consider it is to shorten cooking time, but I haven't done it to this point.

thanks. The recipes I use are fantastic, I'll post them if people are interested.

Yes it does make the bark less crunchy.

However, I foil for several reasons. 1. After a certain point the meat literally can't take any more smoke. 2. The stall, foil speeds meat through the stall because the moisture the meat is giving off can't evaporate when its in the foil, thus evaporative cooling does not occur.

If someone has 14 or more hours to smoke a brisket, more power to them. I've got a 9 month old and my wife would be less than pleased if I were monitoring and getting up that early to do meat for that long.

The only meat I don't foil regularly is chicken & turkey, as they don't need the low slow to break down the meat. I'll foil them if they've gotten too much smoke and the skin is turning too dark. The second chicken posted above, I should have foiled, its a little too dark for my taste.

1) Foil can shorten cook times for long cooks like brisket or pork butt.

2) Foil can be an easy way to keep the juices that leave the meat so you can use them later. If you use a drip pan, they'll often evaporate or get burnt.

3) Foil can help tenderize the meat, at the cost of the bark. If you want fall of the bones pork ribs, foil is the way to go.

I never foil. I think captive and ag have listed reasons to do so, but I have never felt the need to. The only reason I consider it is to shorten cooking time, but I haven't done it to this point.
I think I'll definitely try foil when I do ribs next, this is all great advice. How do you know when to wrap them in foil? Just going off of the color of the bark and whether it's taken on enough smoke? Usually I get up really early to start a pork shoulder, and plan on it taking 12 hours or so, but it's good to know I can speed it up if necessary.

Same here, plus I like a delicious crunchy bark and I just can't bring myself to make it softer.

I think I'll definitely try foil when I do ribs next, this is all great advice. How do you know when to wrap them in foil? Just going off of the color of the bark and whether it's taken on enough smoke? Usually I get up really early to start a pork shoulder, and plan on it taking 12 hours or so, but it's good to know I can speed it up if necessary.

Are you using a temperature gauge? It's generally the time when the temperature of the meat is rising painfully slow, usually around 160° - 170°.

captive

For ribs, most people use the 3 - 2 -1 or 2 - 2- 1 method. Meaning 3 hours of smoke, 2 hours in foil another hour outside of foil. At around 225.

BGE website has a recipe where you do an 1.5 hours of smoke at 325 and then an hour of foil and they fall off the bone.

For pork butt or brisket, I just go by 4-5 hours of smoke, and then into the foil. The results have been fantastic so I don't change it.

captive

I am going to buy this grill today (picking it up from home depot but this is the link I have)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MKB5TXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have always had hand me down grills so i've never had to properly season a new one

what do GAF?

should I get a chimney starter?
the smoke from the charcoal should season the inside of it fine. Propane grills are the ones you need to season cause they rust so easily.

You can use a chimney start. I find a paper towel twisted up and soaked in canola oil is more than enough to lit a pit.

I am going to buy this grill today (picking it up from home depot but this is the link I have)

I have always had hand me down grills so i've never had to properly season a new one

what do GAF?

I got a chimney starter when I got my Weber 22" about 5 years ago, andI consider it an absolutely necessity. I would never go back to using lighter fluid again.

phanphare

Banned

what do GAF?

that's a great grill, I've got the same one except I got the one without the ash catching thing on the bottom. it was on clearance for a really low price so I couldn't say no, otherwise I would have gotten the one you did.

I've smoked on it quite a few times to great results

also yeah, chimney starters are essential, in my opinion

andycapps

what do GAF?

Some people say to season your grill with some fatty cuts of meat, I didn't do all that. Just do a dry run really hot and burn off the inside some, then cook your meat.

So i bought the grill as mentioned above

and the chimney, and those little cubes

I got some lumpwood charcoal

I bought a small ass rack of ribs (2 pounds, about 6(?) ribs)

and a very small brisket just for me and the wife (under 2 pounds as well)

just to get used to the thing

I'm looking at the amazingribs site...

so I want to do the corner thing with the coals and then do a pan of water next to the meat?

I have no idea how long to cook these small cuts of meat for either, but it's gonna be a learning experience!

i'm very excited

otapnam

So i bought the grill as mentioned above

and the chimney, and those little cubes

I got some lumpwood charcoal

I bought a small ass rack of ribs (2 pounds, about 6(?) ribs)

and a very small brisket just for me and the wife (under 2 pounds as well)

just to get used to the thing

I'm looking at the amazingribs site...

so I want to do the corner thing with the coals and then do a pan of water next to the meat?

I have no idea how long to cook these small cuts of meat for either, but it's gonna be a learning experience!

i'm very excited

Check this forum out : http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?69-Barbecuing

MRSA

Banned
What's on the menu for freedom tomorrow?

Making some moink balls right now to bring to work for my boss' last shift.

ag-my001

Just tried a pizza on my BGE knock off...total disaster.

Anyone have any techniques they want to share?
Treat it more like a regular oven rather than a brick oven. If I mix up the dough myself, I always bake it for a few minutes first. This helps to ensure that after I put on the toppings and cook it for real, the center will be done without burning the cheese.

Unless you've got the high quality gasket on your Kamado, trying for those 700 temps will just burn it out quickly.

Chris R

Ya, dough no toppings needs to cook for just a bit, then I flip it and top it and lid it up.

Butt almost done, just temped to 192 so I have another half hour or so to get it to 203.

Treat it more like a regular oven rather than a brick oven. If I mix up the dough myself, I always bake it for a few minutes first. This helps to ensure that after I put on the toppings and cook it for real, the center will be done without burning the cheese.

Unless you've got the high quality gasket on your Kamado, trying for those 700 temps will just burn it out quickly.

Ya, dough no toppings needs to cook for just a bit, then I flip it and top it and lid it up.

Butt almost done, just temped to 192 so I have another half hour or so to get it to 203.
Great, can't wait to try it

Thanks!

GiJoccin

Great, can't wait to try it

Thanks!

i usually do pizza in the oven on a pizza stone, but when i've done it on the grill, i make it as hot as possible, keep the dough slightly thicker so that it doesn't fall apart on the grill grates, and cook one side down with the top open. Once i have some char on the bottom, I flip it over and top it quickly while on the grill, and close the top

Chris R

Forgot to post a picture of the finished product!!!

Rvf3rtX.jpg

So tasty! My rub was a little too salty this time though, so I need to tweak it for next time.

n64coder

i usually do pizza in the oven on a pizza stone, but when i've done it on the grill, i make it as hot as possible, keep the dough slightly thicker so that it doesn't fall apart on the grill grates, and cook one side down with the top open. Once i have some char on the bottom, I flip it over and top it quickly while on the grill, and close the top

It's good to read different pizza techniques.

I have a stone on my grill that I preheat to about 550. I make the pizza on a screen, put it on the stone and cook it. Usually the bottom is done but the top is not brown enough. I take the pizza off and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Comes out perfect.

For you smokers out there,
I made a rub yesterday and I overdid it. Slow cooked a giant sirloin with Hickory chips on my Webyr Termynatyr Genysys S330 grill. .

Here's my problem, it cooked to a perfect medium rare, but my rub is too salty.

Do you have any fixes for meats in situations such as this, or is it a "too bad so sad; use less salt next time"?

mcfrank

For you smokers out there,
I made a rub yesterday and I overdid it. Slow cooked a giant sirloin with Hickory chips on my Webyr Termynatyr Genysys S330 grill. .

Here's my problem, it cooked to a perfect medium rare, but my rub is too salty.

Do you have any fixes for meats in situations such as this, or is it a "too bad so sad; use less salt next time"?

Can you scrape some of it off? Not idea but that is your only option.

GiJoccin

What kind of grill would you meat smokers recommend for a guy starting out with a limited budget?

probably a weber kettle, if you're looking to grill. you can also do some smoking, tho it's not ideal for that. if you want a pure smoker, weber smokey mountain is a nice first smoker :)

MRSA

Banned
Love my Weber kettle, its that time of year again where Target is starting to clearance their BBQ stuff you might be able to get a Weber 22" silver for 50% off.

Weber is also adding new features for next year's batch and bringing back their Mastertouch.

newsguy

Currently have a 5.5 lb Boston butt in the kamado. 3 hours into the smoke. At 4 hours I'm gonna probe it and maybe foil it. I'll take some pics

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
What kind of grill would you meat smokers recommend for a guy starting out with a limited budget?

22" weber kettle gold runs $150 lasts I checked. It can be used for direct or indirect grilling, and also slow smoking using the minion method or fuse method. It is a very versatile little piece of equipment and unlike most of the cheap garbage out there, Webers are built to last.

newsguy

For a limited budget you can't go wrong with the Webber kettle. The reason you see one in everyone's yard is because they're tanks. Few things are built to last like those little grills.

otapnam

U can always hitup craigslist for webers too.

Probably find a 22" used performer platinum for 150. Usually just needs a lil cleaning

phanphare

Banned
Love my Weber kettle, its that time of year again where Target is starting to clearance their BBQ stuff you might be able to get a Weber 22" silver for 50% off.

Weber is also adding new features for next year's batch and bringing back their Mastertouch.

this

I got a 22" weber kettle for $50 last year during the fall

I've smoked on it a good bit and it does great

captive

Just tried a pizza on my BGE knock off...total disaster.

Anyone have any techniques they want to share?

What specifically happened? Did you make your own dough or storebought? Cook it on the grill first or not? Did you burn the pizza or have a hard time getting it off the grill?

captive

Oh, hey BBQ. Nice stuff guys.
Houston/Texas GAF Randals has brisket for 1.69/lb until tomorrow.

Paskil

4th of July weekend brisket

11694895_10153421395624798_7531590352380372765_n.jpg

11702693_10153422271884798_8901223954577350772_n.jpg

11402950_10153422271444798_6061632885435069860_n.jpg

That looks fantastic. I need to do another packer brisket. I did no smoking over the weekend because I had to go to a couples wedding shower on the 4th. I'll probably make up for it with a pork shoulder in the near future. I love doing shoulders because it's just a stress free process. Practically impossible to mess up and there's so much you can do with the leftovers. I made pulled pork nacho's with some of the leftovers last time. Used some in a pot pie, as well.

All these pork shoulders have me drooling.

Anyone have any really good tried and true vinegar based hot mustard recipes (not horseradish)?

Oh, hey BBQ. Nice stuff guys.
Houston/Texas GAF Randals has brisket for 1.69/lb until tomorrow.

DAAAANG. We talking select/choice? I usually go to Costco and they have prime packers at around $3.59 a pound in Wisconsin.

Top Bottom