• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DAAAANG. We talking select/choice? I usually go to Costco and they have prime packers at around $3.59 a pound in Wisconsin.

Choice. 3.59 for prime is a good price, its normal price around here is usually around 5 bucks a pound.

SpecX

4th of July weekend brisket

11694895_10153421395624798_7531590352380372765_n.jpg

11702693_10153422271884798_8901223954577350772_n.jpg

11402950_10153422271444798_6061632885435069860_n.jpg

Damn this looks awesome. Just bought a Brisket yesterday I plan to do this weekend. I tried once and it didn't look anywhere near as good as this. Any tips on cooking method and preparing?

mcfrank

Damn this looks awesome. Just bought a Brisket yesterday I plan to do this weekend. I tried once and it didn't look anywhere near as good as this. Any tips on cooking method and preparing?

Sure - I use this rub

I trim the brisket and rub it at least 12 hours prior to smoking (24 is better). I smoke between 225 - 250 until the meat is 198+ (I fell asleep and this brisket got up to 204, which is why you can see it is falling apart a bit but that is not a big deal)

I prefer mesquite for brisket, but some people dont like that. This was hickory and it was good. Oak works well too.

Picking your brisket at the store is important, you want to make sure to get one that is a fairly uniform thickness and is relatively bendy. If you get one that has a super thick point end and a thin flat end, it will be impossible to cook it properly as a whole piece and you will need to separate them.

I am happy to answer and specific questions, but the best resources I have found are:

BBQ With Franklin Youtube Channel

http://amazingribs.com

and

Aaron Franklin's book

SpecX

Big Thanks! My mouth is already watering for Saturday. I'll have to check when I get home, but might have to cut a piece off due to it thinning out a bit on one side.

I never got a chance to take pictures but I did another couple of racks of Spare ribs for the 4th and they turned out great. I had to prep them and take them a few hours away so I did my rub and put them in the over with a pan of beer for about an hour at 400 degrees.

I didn't cover them in a pan this time, I just put them directly on the over rack with 2 sheet pans below to catch the drippings. Super moist and fully cooked. I made some more doctored STUBBS sauce (less chilie sauce and a bit more vinegar this time)

I sauced them at the party and had them on the grill for about 5 minutes. Absolutely perfect. Someone else smoked a rack of ribs and all of mine were eaten first so I'm very happy with that. I'll probably do some more for the big Pinball campout in September.

Bold One

probably a weber kettle, if you're looking to grill. you can also do some smoking, tho it's not ideal for that. if you want a pure smoker, weber smokey mountain is a nice first smoker :)

22" weber kettle gold runs $150 lasts I checked. It can be used for direct or indirect grilling, and also slow smoking using the minion method or fuse method. It is a very versatile little piece of equipment and unlike most of the cheap garbage out there, Webers are built to last.

thanks guys, will look into it

to Amazon I go

meow

I know this isn't really BBQ, but I'm very new to this and only have access to an oven, so I'm going to try the low and slow oven baked ribs.

Can someone recommend a good bbq sauce? I have no experience, maybe something that isn't too overly sweet and has a bit of spiciness to it (not too much!) Or any suggestions on homemade sauces or adjustments to store-bought sauces also appreciated :)

captive

I know this isn't really BBQ, but I'm very new to this and only have access to an oven, so I'm going to try the low and slow oven baked ribs.

Can someone recommend a good bbq sauce? I have no experience, maybe something that isn't too overly sweet and has a bit of spiciness to it (not too much!) Or any suggestions on homemade sauces or adjustments to store-bought sauces also appreciated :)

Stubbs is pretty good.

You could make your own, there's loads of recipes out there, and you can more or less tell if its going to be spicy/sweet by the recipe ingredients and amounts.. I would advise against buying a BBQ to mix or "kick up" as its called since you are asking for recommendations. If you already knew the types you might like I would so go for it.

DAAAANG. We talking select/choice? I usually go to Costco and they have prime packers at around $3.59 a pound in Wisconsin.

Even 3.59 a pound for prime is an INSANE deal compared to here. I pay around 3 - 5 bucks a pound for Choice. Prime is easily like 8 - 10 dollars a lb.

Serious Eats did a pretty good rundown of bbq sauce styles and solid recipes for each.

I'll also agree with captive, Stubb's is pretty solid out of the bottle. I also like Trader Joe's KC style.

ag-my001

I visited a friend in Texas this week. Stopped by an HEB to grab some What-a-burger ketchup and saw packers @ 2.47/lb. Didn't see if it was prime or choice, but it didn't really matter. I never see packers in stores here in Maryland, and the flats that are available are $8+.

mcfrank

I visited a friend in Texas this week. Stopped by an HEB to grab some What-a-burger ketchup and saw packers @ 2.47/lb. Didn't see if it was prime or choice, but it didn't really matter. I never see packers in stores here in Maryland, and the flats that are available are $8+.

That is the only reason i miss living in texas

Paskil

Oh, I might as well share since I forgot. I recently smoked a prime rib (back in May). I was told by a few people to not do it, but they don't smoke meat, so what the heck do they know, AMIRITE? This might be too rare for some, but I was cooking for me and I love my beef rare, when the cut calls for it. I thought it turned out really well, but I was having trouble with my smoker box, so I wasn't able to impart as much of a smoke flavor as I wanted. All fixed now, but was kind of a shame since prime rib is so pricey.

6FrGgPoh.jpg

U7WNJ7ph.jpg

I tossed it in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes at the end for the outer sear.

meow

Stubbs is pretty good.

You could make your own, there's loads of recipes out there, and you can more or less tell if its going to be spicy/sweet by the recipe ingredients and amounts.. I would advise against buying a BBQ to mix or "kick up" as its called since you are asking for recommendations. If you already knew the types you might like I would so go for it.

Serious Eats did a pretty good rundown of bbq sauce styles and solid recipes for each.

I'll also agree with captive, Stubb's is pretty solid out of the bottle. I also like Trader Joe's KC style.
Thanks to both of you! Gonna take a look around and do some reading, and maybe try baking some tonight!

captive

Oh, I might as well share since I forgot. I recently smoked a prime rib (back in May). I was told by a few people to not do it, but they don't smoke meat, so what the heck do they know, AMIRITE? This might be too rare for some, but I was cooking for me and I love my beef rare, when the cut calls for it. I thought it turned out really well, but I was having trouble with my smoker box, so I wasn't able to impart as much of a smoke flavor as I wanted. All fixed now, but was kind of a shame since prime rib is so pricey.

6FrGgPoh.jpg

U7WNJ7ph.jpg

d00d, that looks great. Perfect temp on that meat.

I can't wait to do a prime ribs his Christmas, the past few years the wife and I have had the butcher cut us some thick thick ribeyes, then this past Christmas we did the same, my mom got a prime rib for Xmas dinner with the family and she paid only a few dollars more for her whole prime rib than we did for our two steaks. So we said fuck it, we'll do a prime rib next year. Gonna do the reverse sear method on my egg.

I've never used wood chips. What's the best application for them?

I've cooked ribs in the oven several times and it always turns out great. The only thing I'd change about this recipe is brushing on the BBQ sauce more often, like 3-4 times every 15 minutes at the end and maybe turn the heat up during that period. I also mix some of the drippings with the BBQ sauce.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Electric and propane smokers, or complimentary use with a charcoal grill for a hint of smokey flavor. Most of the time you'll need to soak them. When I smoke on my kettle I prefer the bigger chunks, but chips would work too.

meow

I've cooked ribs in the oven several times and it always turns out great. The only thing I'd change about this recipe is brushing on the BBQ sauce more often, like 3-4 times every 15 minutes at the end and maybe turn the heat up during that period. I also mix some of the drippings with the BBQ sauce.

Ooh, thanks! I'll pull them out around the 3 hr mark and start doing the bbq sauce like you said, I also read some suggestions to broil for the last 5 minutes so I think I'll try that too!

I picked up a little over 2 lbs of baby back ribs and threw together a dry rub from something I found online (brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, cayenne, onion, garlic). Let it sit for about 3 hrs (didn't have more time if I want it to cook in time, I already had to raise the temp to 265 F since I got a late start). I'm crossing my fingers that it comes out well!

edit: I went and found Stubbs and there were 6 different types and didn't know what to get! Went with Hickory Bourbon.

I'm about to hit 8 hours of smoking a pork butt. Color is looking great, smoke has been plentiful. I'm at 168 internal temp now, so at least a couple more hours I should think.

When it hits 195 degrees, should I wrap it in foil for an hour, or is it good to go as is?

Another question: do any of you apply more rub at the end of the smoke to try and add more crusty bark?

6FrGgPoh.jpg

U7WNJ7ph.jpg

I did one over Christmas. Scary, since the meat alone cost about $100 and I didn't know how it would turn out. I basically did it the same way you did and it indeed makes a perfect prime rib. Those rib bones made an amazing after Christmas lunch too. They had enough meat on them for me to throw it under a broiler for a bit. It was so good.

Ooh, thanks! I'll pull them out around the 3 hr mark and start doing the bbq sauce like you said, I also read some suggestions to broil for the last 5 minutes so I think I'll try that too!

I picked up a little over 2 lbs of baby back ribs and threw together a dry rub from something I found online (brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, cayenne, onion, garlic). Let it sit for about 3 hrs (didn't have more time if I want it to cook in time, I already had to raise the temp to 265 F since I got a late start). I'm crossing my fingers that it comes out well!

edit: I went and found Stubbs and there were 6 different types and didn't know what to get! Went with Hickory Bourbon.
Yep, I meant to mention broiling at the end too. And you chose well with hickory bourbon!

andycapps

I'm about to hit 8 hours of smoking a pork butt. Color is looking great, smoke has been plentiful. I'm at 168 internal temp now, so at least a couple more hours I should think.

When it hits 195 degrees, should I wrap it in foil for an hour, or is it good to go as is?

Another question: do any of you apply more rub at the end of the smoke to try and add more crusty bark?

Wrapping it in foil is up to you on whether you want it to get done quicker. I take mine to 203. I don't add more rub during the cook, I think it would give it a weird consistency if some of it was in a bark like consistency and some was barely on there.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Can you guys recommend and easy to use electric smoker for a smoking noob?

It all seems way more complicated than i expected.

I don't know of any electric smokers. I know Traeger pellet smokers seem to be popular. What exactly are you having a problem with? Maybe we can help.

Paskil

Can you guys recommend and easy to use electric smoker for a smoking noob?

It all seems way more complicated than i expected.

I bought a 40" Masterbuilt during a lightning sale on Amazon for $250 around Thanksgiving last year. I like it,but there are definitely issues with it like the smokebox being very fussy. Overall, I've gotten a ton of use for it and has sparked my inner BBQ fanatic. I want to get a Big Green Egg now and mess around with legit smoking (non-electric).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZTMTCG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have to smoke 3 pork shoulders this week. Giving two away and making pulled pork with the other for a family gathering. I mess with different ratios of spices each time trying to put together a winning rub.

I bought a 40" Masterbuilt during a lightning sale on Amazon for $250 around Thanksgiving last year. I like it,but there are definitely issues with it like the smokebox being very fussy. Overall, I've gotten a ton of use for it and has sparked my inner BBQ fanatic. I want to get a Big Green Egg now and mess around with legit smoking (non-electric).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZTMTCG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have to smoke 3 pork shoulders this week. Giving two away and making pulled pork with the other for a family gathering. I mess with different ratios of spices each time trying to put together a winning rub.

How often do you have to replace wood in an electric like that? I use a smoker box on my Weber gas grill, and it works great, but every hour or so you have to open it to replace chips/chunks.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
How do you guys handle mosquitoes when grilling?

My citronella candle doesn't do shit.

I just deal with it. We have them really bad here in Houston and end up with bites every single time I go out after dark. You can try to get some OFF spray, that might help.

NysGAF

I am happy to answer and specific questions, but the best resources I have found are:

BBQ With Franklin Youtube Channel

I just found Aaron Franklin this afternoon (should've come to GAF first) and was very impressed with his videos. I'm going to try my first brisket tomorrow. I wasn't planning on putting on a rub overnight, is that a mistake? From the videos I got the impression that he just used salt and pepper and threw it on. What's your experience?

otapnam

I just found Aaron Franklin this afternoon (should've come to GAF first) and was very impressed with his videos. I'm going to try my first brisket tomorrow. I wasn't planning on putting on a rub overnight, is that a mistake? From the videos I got the impression that he just used salt and pepper and threw it on. What's your experience?

If you are following Franklin make sure you are starting with a decent quality piece of meat.

For myself I've only done 2 briskets and have never done the 3-4 hr rest alot of people are doing these days. I'm very interested in seeing the results with that next time. I actually bought a new cooler just for that recently.

captive

If you are following Franklin make sure you are starting with a decent quality piece of meat.

For myself I've only done 2 briskets and have never done the 3-4 hr rest alot of people are doing these days. I'm very interested in seeing the results with that next time. I actually bought a new cooler just for that recently.

for any big hunk of meat like a brisket or pork butt you should let it rest at least an hour, if not more. I take my briskets off the pit and put them in the oven with the oven warm and let them sit in that for 2 or 3 hours before slicing.

Got a brisket defrosting right now. Gonna smoke it tomorrow.

zbarron

I just did my first smoke. It's a Cuban Pork Butt. I used Mojo seasoning and plan on using it for Cubanos.

Pork butt on smoker:
19590164784_7086321846_h.jpg

Pork cooked, bone removed:
20040525988_2dc25fae27_h.jpg

Pork shredded:
19605881954_1a97e56100_h.jpg

It started at 4 pounds and finished at about 2.2 pounds shredded weight. With the amount of charcoal and apple wood I needed to use with my ECB, I see how much more economical it would be to cook multiple at once. I could easily fit two on each grate and cut my usage of each to a quarter per finished butt.

n64coder

With the amount of charcoal and apple wood I needed to use with my ECB, I see how much more economical it would be to cook multiple at once. I could easily fit two on each grate and cut my usage of each to a quarter per finished butt.

Looks great! What is ECB?

So how much charcoal/apple wood did you use? What's the approximate cost?

The thing that scares me about going from gas to charcoal grill is having to spend a lot of money buying charcoal/wood. I switched my grill from propane to house natural gas so I'm no longer shelling out $16 per propane refill (I probably would go through 4 tanks per summer).

zbarron

Looks great! What is ECB?

So how much charcoal/apple wood did you use? What's the approximate cost?

The thing that scares me about going from gas to charcoal grill is having to spend a lot of money buying charcoal/wood. I switched my grill from propane to house natural gas so I'm no longer shelling out $16 per propane refill (I probably would go through 4 tanks per summer).

Thank you. ECB stands for El-Cheapo-Brinkmann. It refers to the Brinkmann Smoke 'N Grill. It's an insanely cheap charcoal smoker that isn't very good without any mods. I bought one used for $20 with most of the recommended mods already done to it.

I used about a 15 lb bag of Kingsford Charcoal that I got on sale for about $4. I also went through half of a bag of apple wood chunks that was $8. One thing to keep in mind though is this is with a very inefficient smoker. If I was using a Weber Smokey Mountain or a Kamado I probably would have had to use a lot less. Granted, this was from a 10 hour smoke from an amateur. Also outside temperature and wind will effect it too.

Still it wasn't exactly cheap. $12 for the meat and another $8 for the charcoal and wood came to $9.09 per pound of cooked meat. If I put three more pork butts in there it would have only been $6.36 per pound or with my butcher's discount on buying in bulk $5.64 per pound.

I don't regret it though. It was fun and the pork tasted amazing. Much better than what I would have gotten from that price from a steak.

Anyone aware of this new product called the Slow n' Sear? It's $80 and basically a new version of the Smokenator, and Meathead from AmazingRibs is already crazy about it.

I'm considering ordering one.

slow-n-sear-300x300.jpg

water on the left, charcoal and wood on the right

meow

Sorry to keep asking in here, I figure this is the best place to ask about meat (but if there's a more appropriate thread, would definitely appreciate a redirect!).

Does anyone have a go-to favorite rub or marinade for steak? Should I just stick with kosher salt + black pepper?

phanphare

Banned
Sorry to keep asking in here, I figure this is the best place to ask about meat (but if there's a more appropriate thread, would definitely appreciate a redirect!).

Does anyone have a go-to favorite rub or marinade for steak? Should I just stick with kosher salt + black pepper?

yes just stick with salt and pepper imo. that's all a good steak needs.

Konka

Banned

Yes.

captive

Adams Reserve All Purpose rub. its so freaking good.

Take the steak and sprinkle kosher salt on it an hour a head of time, then a few minutes before cooking put the Adams Reserve All Purpose rub on liberally.

absolutely. kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper is perfect.

protip: sometimes if I want to make "pepper steak," I'll put a bunch of whole peppercorns in-between a folded paper towel and smash it with a meat tenderizer. It makes for some nice large chunks of pepper to rub into the steaks.

ShinAmano

That is best...but from time to time McCormick (sp) steak rub is alright.

Also on bbq related news I will have my egg back this weekend. ..what to smoke? :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I agree. Keep it simple with nice beef. Maybe garlic and or celery seed.

When you guys smoke ribs in your charcoal grills, do you use a rib rack to stand them vertically, does it even matter? Or is a rack just to save space so you can get more ribs in there?

Any rack recommendations?

Top Bottom