• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
h-town Gaf, HEB has pork butts for 88cents a lb and brisket for $1.95/lb

for those doing the traditional beef rib roast Kroker has it for 4.49/lb

Thanks for posting!! I will pick up a brisket and a couple of pork butts to freeze. I am smoking two butts for Christmas gathering that I had in my meat freezer.

DrSlek

Christmas pork was a smashing success. 3.5kg (7.7 pounds) of deliciousness. My wife's stepdad especially appreciated it because he has coeliac disease and we made sure the dry rub was gluten free.

1f5lwbL.jpg

acksman

Bought a Maverick 733 for $35

Nice I bought a igrill2. It came down between those two. If I don't like the igrill will return it for the Maverick.

Have a nice Prime Brisket waiting to cook for New Years that I want to try it out.

Where did you get the 733 for that price?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
got a 14lb brisket about to go on, it was the smallest HEB had, they had some big fucking briskets, 18+ lbs.

Paskil

Got a giant wooden cutting board for Christmas, big enough for brisket. Going to Costco today to hopefully get a 10-15lb brisket. The last few times I went, the selection was kind of awful. On the plus side, the price is around $2.69/pound and is prime grade. Not smoking til next weekend so might have to stop back once or twice later this week.

acksman

got a 14lb brisket about to go on, it was the smallest HEB had, they had some big fucking briskets, 18+ lbs.

Captive post some pictures when you put that thing on. I would be interested in what type of prep you do and marinades.

Costco had Prime briskets for $2.77 a pound (Lewisville TX). I grabbed a 14lb as well to smoke for New Years. I use the SaltLick rub with Stubs BBQ sauce that I will dress up a bit to inject with some apple cider vinegar.

captive

Captive post some pictures when you put that thing on. I would be interested in what type of prep you do and marinades.

Costco had Prime briskets for $2.77 a pound (Lewisville TX). I grabbed a 14lb as well to smoke for New Years. I use the SaltLick rub with Stubs BBQ sauce that I will dress up a bit to inject with some apple cider vinegar.
Oh, well, I put it on at 9am. It's currently in foil, internal temp right at 190.

Nothing fancy I use the rub from playing with smoke and fire at BlogSpot, if you google it it'll come up, I've also posted it a few times.

I usually inject it with beef broth and salt and a few other things but I didn't this time.

MRSA

Banned
Nice I bought a igrill2. It came down between those two. If I don't like the igrill will return it for the Maverick.

Have a nice Prime Brisket waiting to cook for New Years that I want to try it out.

Where did you get the 733 for that price?

Amazon just cancelled my ordered due to technical error. I'll see what they'll do for me in chat later.

MRSA

Banned
Chatted with Amazon twice, the first rep only gave me $10 refund, second rep gave me another $25 refund. Took about a half hour but it worked out.

fwpx

Whats the consensus thermometer that GAF likes? I had an igrill, broke after 4 weeks.

I currently have a mastercraft electric smoker. I'd like something with some range. The bluetooth part of the igrill was cool...wish it wasnt so cheap..

MRSA

Banned
Whats the consensus thermometer that GAF likes? I had an igrill, broke after 4 weeks.

I currently have a mastercraft electric smoker. I'd like something with some range. The bluetooth part of the igrill was cool...wish it wasnt so cheap..

They all break, I really like the iGrill2, its just much more expensive than the Maverick.

Maverick. It's indestructible, just keep losing it.

File%2029-12-2015%2C%2010%2051%2023%20PM.jpeg

Just got this haul for NYE. Brisket, 3 beef short ribs and a tri tip. Looking forward to a day playing with fire.

Edit: any idea how to post a photo from an iPad?

You can't go wrong with the Maverick ET-732

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The wireless range on it is pretty damn good too.

Though I would suggest ditching the probes that come with it and buying the newer upgraded Hybrid probes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016AO6B6G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The big difference is they seem to be a little better in their construction (in the wire) and they're water proof. I went through a couple of the older style probes but these seem to be lasting longer and holding up much better.

I've been using this one with the original probes over a year now without any issues. Just make sure to wipe it clean and not submerge the probes in water or anything and it should be fine.

Your one of the lucky ones then. I've never submerged mine in water and baby them and they just stop working. On the main Weber forum I'm on I'm pretty sure everyone there has gone through multiples of the original probes.

JaY P.

Just wanted to introduce myself by posting my New Year's St. Louis Ribs. I put them on about 2 hours ago. For the smoke I am using a combo of apple and pecan. Anyways without further ado, here are my ribs. I'll post the results when they're done.

RZbUYYD.jpg

hWpKJd1.jpg

kJsTny6.jpg

crPVxMI.jpg

QcHwbgR.jpg

kvQfh6T.jpg

CScl1DV.jpg

MglNsFF.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
Just wanted to introduce myself by posting my New Year's Baby Back Ribs. I put them on about 2 hours ago. For the smoke I am using a combo of apple and pecan. Anyways without further ado, here are my ribs. I'll post the results when they're done.

RZbUYYD.jpg

hWpKJd1.jpg

kJsTny6.jpg

crPVxMI.jpg

QcHwbgR.jpg

kvQfh6T.jpg

CScl1DV.jpg

MglNsFF.jpg

Do you foil them at any point?

I like to do my ribs at 275. 3 hours unfoiled, 1 foiled.

Paskil

Happy New Year smoker gaf.

Started out at 16lbs of prime brisket from Costco. I trimmed 2.5lbs of fat. I dry brined it overnight with 2tbsp of kosher salt. I always coat in mustard to stick the rub. I throw my rubs together so they can sometime vary. This was (all TBSP) 3 garlic/onion powder, 3 fresh ground black pepper, 3 turbinado sugar, 2 Hungarian paprika, 2 cumin, 1 chilj powder, 3/4 cayenne pepper. Would have tossed in some dried mustard if I had on hand.

Started at 03:30 central. Will post some more pictures later. My assumption is that I will cut the flat off around 200°, wrap in foil/towels and put in a cooler for two hours. Will slice up the point and put back in the smoker for two hours in an aluminum pan. I need a new knife, so planning on hitting up a local store when they open at 11:00.

JaY P.

Well here are the results of my New Year's Smoke. Sorry for the late update. Got real busy after the New Year.

JP12BrY.jpg

About 3 1/2 hours into the cook.

L7fey1O.jpg

lzjDVXg.jpg

BodSPKw.jpg

^ Looking good!

Your one of the lucky ones then. I've never submerged mine in water and baby them and they just stop working. On the main Weber forum I'm on I'm pretty sure everyone there has gone through multiples of the original probes.

Yeah, I'm fairly surprised myself. After all the posts I've read of the probe failures on other forums, I figured mine would go out quick. I'm going to see how long they'll last me.

PBY

Banned
Ruined my 4th bleeping brisket.

Can you overdo a brisket? Bc mine are pulled at 202, and they are all chewy and tough. Thinking next time I pull one at 200, I'ma put butter/marinade on it, and leave it in the oven at 200 for two hours.

phanphare

Banned

Can you overdo a brisket? Bc mine are pulled at 202, and they are all chewy and tough. Thinking next time I pull one at 200, I'ma put butter/marinade on it, and leave it in the oven at 200 for two hours.

yeah when you rest a big brisket the internal temperature will generally rise about 5 degrees

I pull mine around 195-197 so it'll get up to just about 203, which is my preferred internal temperature for brisket

also I've found that brisket really needs to rest for at least an hour after taking it off the smoker

PBY

Banned
yeah when you rest a big brisket the internal temperature will generally rise about 5 degrees

I pull mine around 195-197 so it'll get up to just about 203, which is my preferred internal temperature for brisket

also I've found that brisket really needs to rest for at least an hour after taking it off the smoker

I let it sit for an hour wrapped in the oven (off), and still rubbery.

My other worry is that I'm fucked from the start, since the briskets I use are flat, 3-4 lbers. Worried their too small and dry out?

phanphare

Banned

My other worry is that I'm fucked from the start, since the briskets I use are flat, 3-4 lbers. Worried their too small and dry out?

hmmm, maybe try pulling them at a lower temperature

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I would start by checking your thermometer for accuracy. From my experience those basic ones from chain stores are terribly inaccurate and gave me many undercooked briskets. If the meat is tough then that's probably because it hasn't cooked long enough for the connective tissue to break down, resulting in chewy meat.

Also since you're doing just the flat, consider a brine or injection to help keep it moist. And don't forget to use a water pan.

PBY

Banned
Thanks^
I would start by checking your thermometer for accuracy. From my experience those basic ones from chain stores are terribly inaccurate and gave me many undercooked briskets. If the meat is tough then that's probably because it hasn't cooked long enough for the connective tissue to break down, resulting in chewy meat.

Also since you're doing just the flat, consider a brine or injection to help keep it moist. And don't forget to use a water pan.

Not using a water pan since Im on the pit barrel cooker. I haven't been injecting though, so I will also try that next time. I use an iGrill2, which seems good so far

captive

I've done one to 205 and pulled it from the pit, let it rest for 2 hours and it was the most tender brisket i've done. but holy shit 3-4lb? mine as well get a tri-tip. Get a whole packer brisket, the fat in the point protects the flat.

I'll post this again, this guy talks at length about brisket, from buying it, to preparing it to cooking it. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Not using a water pan since Im on the pit barrel cooker. I haven't been injecting though, so I will also try that next time. I use an iGrill2, which seems good so far
dont inject it, by all means you can, but keep it simple, eliminate all variables until you get a brisket you like.

also you can calibrate any thermometer by putting it icey water.

PBY

Banned
I've done one to 205 and pulled it from the pit, let it rest for 2 hours and it was the most tender brisket i've done. but holy shit 3-4lb? mine as well get a tri-tip. Get a whole packer brisket, the fat in the point protects the flat.

I'll post this again, this guy talks at length about brisket, from buying it, to preparing it to cooking it. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

dont inject it, by all means you can, but keep it simple, eliminate all variables until you get a brisket you like.

also you can calibrate any thermometer by putting it icey water.

That's a great article. Thank you.

mcfrank

Prime Brisket on sale for $2.79/lb at Costco in Hawthorne CA. Might be worth checking yours too as that is the best price on Prime I have seen in s while.

MRSA

Banned
Prime Brisket on sale for $2.79/lb at Costco in Hawthorne CA. Might be worth checking yours too as that is the best price on Prime I have seen in s while.

That's been the regular price lately, been meaning to pick one up but been too apprehensive on doing a whole brisket.

If yr just cooking flats then that could be the problem. Next get a full packer and time try wrapping in butchers paper at around 160f then at 195f take off and wrap in towels and pop it in a cooler for an hr or 2

Oh and keep a full water pan at the fire end.

ColdPizza

Banned

You need to stop using temperature solely as a guide for doneness...temperature is ONE guideline for doneness, but not the end all be all.

The ultimate test is is the feel...all briskets vary so you can be done anywhere from 180 to 205.

Also, are you doing a full packer or just the flat? If you're doing just the flat you've already put yourself at a major disadvantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

edit: yup, I see your'e using flat...sorry man, I've been in your shoes. I'll never do flats only again. The good news is you can chop/cube up the meat and put it into a chili.

dskillzhtown

You need to stop using temperature solely as a guide for doneness...temperature is ONE guideline for doneness, but not the end all be all.

The ultimate test is is the feel...all briskets vary so you can be done anywhere from 180 to 205.

Also, are you doing a full packer or just the flat? If you're doing just the flat you've already put yourself at a major disadvantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

edit: yup, I see your'e using flat...sorry man, I've been in your shoes. I'll never do flats only again. The good news is you can chop/cube up the meat and put it into a chili.

I agree with all of this. Doing flats-only is hard, really hard. If you need something smaller than a full brisket, see if the grocery store sells a center cut with a bit of flat and the point. I have had limited success with flat-only, but it took alot of babysitting.

zbarron

I just picked up a 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain that was in an open box at Walmart for $100. It is in perfect condition and clearly unused.

Has anyone here used one of these before? Was this a good grab? I am able to return it if I want. I know a lot of people love the WSM but I wanted to know if the 14.5" model is as good and if it is very limited size wise on what it can cook.

Thanks.

I just picked up a 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain that was in an open box at Walmart for $100. It is in perfect condition and clearly unused.

Has anyone here used one of these before? Was this a good grab? I am able to return it if I want. I know a lot of people love the WSM but I wanted to know if the 14.5" model is as good and if it is very limited size wise on what it can cook.

Thanks.

The 14.5" is the version I have and it easily fits more than enough food for my needs. I don't know how many people You need to cook for, but I've been able to fit 2 full pork shoulders (10 - 15#) and another rack of pork ribs and a few sausages scattered here and there. I've cooked a spatchcocked 12# turkey in there with the bottom rack still empty.

The ribs will have to stand up straight if you have a pork belly or something else in there, but other than that I haven't had any issues.

If you want to do brisket, you'll have to fold it until it shrinks. A full rack of ribs, I usually just cut in half and throw one on each rack if that's all I'm cooking.

zbarron

The 14.5" is the version I have and it easily fits more than enough food for my needs. I don't know how many people You need to cook for, but I've been able to fit 2 full pork shoulders (10 - 15#) and another rack of pork ribs and a few sausages scattered here and there. I've cooked a spatchcocked 12# turkey in there with the bottom rack still empty.

The ribs will have to stand up straight if you have a pork belly or something else in there, but other than that I haven't had any issues.

If you want to do brisket, you'll have to fold it until it shrinks. A full rack of ribs, I usually just cut in half and throw one on each rack if that's all I'm cooking.

Thanks. How do you setup your charcoal? I'm a little concerned with it's smaller charcoal area I'll have a hard time setting up a snake, donut or minion method.

ColdPizza

Banned
You basically got it 50% off....I think that's a good deal.

I'm not sure how long of a cook you'll be able to get on there with a smaller basket.

This website is a pretty awesome resource for all things WSMs: http://virtualweberbullet.com/

Perhaps they have a section on the 14.5" with that info, or you could sign up to the forums to ask what the cook times are on there.

You could probably manage a shoulder without having to add any coals.

I did a brisket, beef ribs and Tri tip on NYE and It was some of the best I've done, I'll post photos when I can

Quick question: I'll be in Portland for 3 days, in LA for 10 days, then driving to Colorado through New Mexico. Any good BBQ joint tips?

mcfrank

I did a brisket, beef ribs and Tri tip on NYE and It was some of the best I've done, I'll post photos when I can

Quick question: I'll be in Portland for 3 days, in LA for 10 days, then driving to Colorado through New Mexico. Any good BBQ joint tips?

LA is not a great BBQ town. Maple Block in Culver City is said to have the best brisket in town, but it is pretty pricey. Bludsoes and Phillips are considered good.

Locals will say Dr. Hogly Woglys is good, but don't be fooled. It isn't. Best BBQ I have had in LA has been homemade (my own and various friends). It is just not the towns wheelhouse. Now, Mexican and pan-Asian you are in business.

PBY

Banned
hzQGqRM.jpg

Did a lot better w my brisket yest.
Still was a touch dry, but that's my fault, my past briskets were so tough I was worried about gumminess and I put it in the oven for about an hour at 200.

Question - Working on getting my flavors right, so far I use a rub + mustard - how do I get my bark crustier? I pull and foil w/ beer at 160, thinking about foiling it, taking it to 180, and letting it hit 188 unwrapped/hanging again.

dskillzhtown

Thanks. How do you setup your charcoal? I'm a little concerned with it's smaller charcoal area I'll have a hard time setting up a snake, donut or minion method.

I use minion method with my 14.5 - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/minion-method-explained-with-tutorial

It works well. I do add some unlit charcoal to the bottom of the can though. The 14.5 is a great investment if you aren't cooking for an army of people. I have the 14.5 and the 18. I NEVER use the 18 anymore.

Top Bottom