• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

andycapps

hzQGqRM.jpg

Did a lot better w my brisket yest.
Still was a touch dry, but that's my fault, my past briskets were so tough I was worried about gumminess and I put it in the oven for about an hour at 200.

Question - Working on getting my flavors right, so far I use a rub + mustard - how do I get my bark crustier? I pull and foil w/ beer at 160, thinking about foiling it, taking it to 180, and letting it hit 188 unwrapped/hanging again.

Not a brisket expert as I've only done a couple, but from my general BBQ knowledge if you want a tougher bark I'd skip the foil and only do so if you're in a hurry. If you must do foil, then leaving it off at the end like you said may help with that some.

PBY

Banned
Not a brisket expert as I've only done a couple, but from my general BBQ knowledge if you want a tougher bark I'd skip the foil and only do so if you're in a hurry. If you must do foil, then leaving it off at the end like you said may help with that some.

My understanding w/ foil is that it also helps keep it moist when your pushing from 160 to 188.

I kept reading around today, and I think the happy medium will be to wrap in butcher paper. If the bark is still moistish after, Im going to let it sit, then put it on the weber to finish it off.

Any other thoughts on how the brisket looks/what I could do better?

ColdPizza

Banned
I pull and foil w/ beer at 160, thinking about foiling it, taking it to 180, and letting it hit 188 unwrapped/hanging again.

The bark needs to completely set before foiling it. I've run into this situation multiple times, and the only advice I can give you is to (choose 1 or more of the following, you don't necessarily have to do all):

1. Foil later, when the bark has set
  2. Consider smoking at a higher temp
  3. Eliminate some moisture from your pit (generally not recommended)
As for dryness, have you considered injecting? A simple solution of beef broth and oil might help things. Where is your heat source? For example, I prefer to smoke my briskets fat cap down in my WSM as sort of a heat shield. If I had a Traeger or a barrel smoker where the heat comes in from an offset box, I would consider doing fat cap up. Don't worry about "basting" the meat. I've read plenty of articles that suggest the muscle fibers on a brisket don't open up enough for external fat molecules to penetrate.

Also, when selecting your brisket, are you looking for good marbling? Only fat from within the meat itself will break down and keep these things moist (hence adding some oil to your injection).

Hope that helps. I'm no pro, but these are all findings from my trial and error on briskets.

PBY

Banned
The bark needs to completely set before foiling it. I've run into this situation multiple times, and the only advice I can give you is to (choose 1 or more of the following, you don't necessarily have to do all):

1. Foil later, when the bark has set
  2. Consider smoking at a higher temp
  3. Eliminate some moisture from your pit (generally not recommended)
As for dryness, have you considered injecting? A simple solution of beef broth and oil might help things. Where is your heat source? For example, I prefer to smoke my briskets fat cap down in my WSM as sort of a heat shield. If I had a Traeger or a barrel smoker where the heat comes in from an offset box, I would consider doing fat cap up. Don't worry about "basting" the meat. I've read plenty of articles that suggest the muscle fibers on a brisket don't open up enough for external fat molecules to penetrate.

Also, when selecting your brisket, are you looking for good marbling? Only fat from within the meat itself will break down and keep these things moist (hence adding some oil to your injection).

Hope that helps. I'm no pro, but these are all findings from my trial and error on briskets.

Thanks, this is helpful. I need to get better at picking briskets.

As far as heat source, Im on a pit barrel cooker, so I angle the fat cap up when I hang vertically. I think I'm going to try to foil later, and use butcher paper.

andycapps

My understanding w/ foil is that it also helps keep it moist when your pushing from 160 to 188.

I kept reading around today, and I think the happy medium will be to wrap in butcher paper. If the bark is still moistish after, Im going to let it sit, then put it on the weber to finish it off.

Any other thoughts on how the brisket looks/what I could do better?

I don't know if it really keeps it more moist, but it definitely helps the meat cook quicker because it traps in that water vapor from the meat and it powers through the "stall" quicker. Because of that steam, it also is going to take away the bite of your bark, so it's a personal choice whether to do it or not, or whether to do it and leave the foil off for the last couple hours. I know Meathead only recommends using foil if you have to.

I injected with beef broth as well like the above poster. Had good results and it wasn't dry at all. Quality of meat really matters with brisket, IMO.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't know if it really keeps it more moist, but it definitely helps the meat cook quicker because it traps in that water vapor from the meat and it powers through the "stall" quicker. Because of that steam, it also is going to take away the bite of your bark, so it's a personal choice whether to do it or not, or whether to do it and leave the foil off for the last couple hours. I know Meathead only recommends using foil if you have to.

Here is a brisket I did foil wrapped, and how I think I like my bark. Just salt and pepper and smoke. By the time the fat mixes with it it kind of makes it like a sticky candy-like bark.

nFRG7GB.jpg

Butcher paper seems to be all the craze lately. I'm sure these paper companies just love Aaron Franklin for making it popular, but the product does have a breath-ability that foil doesn't.

PBY

Banned
Here is a brisket I did foil wrapped, and how I think I like my bark. Just salt and pepper and smoke. By the time the fat mixes with it it kind of makes it like a sticky candy-like bark.

nFRG7GB.jpg

Butcher paper seems to be all the craze lately. I'm sure these paper companies just love Aaron Franklin for making it popular, but the product does have a breath-ability that foil doesn't.

GodDAAMN. This is beautiful. What did you use to smoke it? Also I'm assuming you didn't wrap it the whole time, just did the crutch?

ColdPizza

Banned
GodDAAMN. This is beautiful. What did you use to smoke it? Also I'm assuming you didn't wrap it the whole time, just did the crutch?

Just an 18.5" WSM with some hickory chunks and charcoal. I think I ended up wrapping it around 170ish. I mean, I've read other guides that recommended 160 just like you did but the bark just wasn't set/crusty enough.

When I slice my beef, I don't fan out the slices. I keep them together. The air will just oxidize and dry out the surface of the cut meat.

PBY

Banned
Just an 18.5" WSM with some hickory chunks and charcoal. I think I ended up wrapping it around 170ish. I mean, I've read other guides that recommended 160 just like you did but the bark just wasn't set/crusty enough.

I think that's going to be my plan going forward, just let it ride hanging til the bark is set.

andycapps

nFRG7GB.jpg

I really need to do a brisket as soon as it starts to warm up a little here. Butcher paper is an interesting idea.

Thanks. How do you setup your charcoal? I'm a little concerned with it's smaller charcoal area I'll have a hard time setting up a snake, donut or minion method.

I use the minion method. I do add some charcoal from time to time, but I usually just top it off a bit whenever I check on the water pan.

Paskil

It's subzero here in Wisconsin, but I did a brisket yesterday. I don't wrap mine so they usually take 18+ hours. I might try the butcher paper next time. I also did two pans of smoked Mac and cheese. I didn't take any pictures of the brisket, except for some of the burnt ends that I separated and wrapped in bacon before registering seasoning and putting back in the smoker. Here's the end result.

PBY

Banned
It's subzero here in Wisconsin, but I did a brisket yesterday. I don't wrap mine so they usually take 18+ hours. I might try the butcher paper next time. I also did two pans of smoked Mac and cheese. I didn't take any pictures of the brisket, except for some of the burnt ends that I separated and wrapped in bacon before registering seasoning and putting back in the smoker. Here's the end result.

Awesome. I've been wanting to mess around w/ bacon wrapped dates on the smoker - when you tee up the bacon, do you cook it first, then finish it on the smoker? or just let it ride on the smoker? And do you season the bacon w/ rub?

ColdPizza

Banned
I really need to do a brisket as soon as it starts to warm up a little here. Butcher paper is an interesting idea.

I would recommend on doing some research on it first. There are various kinds of butcher papers out there (some with wax or other coatings), that you probably won't want to use. Some purveyors online are aware that home BBQers want this paper and are selling it for ridiculous amounts.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Awesome. I've been wanting to mess around w/ bacon wrapped dates on the smoker - when you tee up the bacon, do you cook it first, then finish it on the smoker? or just let it ride on the smoker? And do you season the bacon w/ rub?

whenever i do bacon wrapped shrimp or jalapeno poppers, i wrap the bacon uncooked onto whatever and then let it cook on the grill/smoker the bacon protects whatever you are cooking and drips its fatty goodness into it. I've not done, but have seen people put bacon directly on top of brisket and also put it on a rack above brisket to drip its goodness onto the beef.

for bacon wrapped shrimp i put BBQ sauce on it, and it can absorb some of that smokey goodness and will also caramelize.

andycapps

I would recommend on doing some research on it first. There are various kinds of butcher papers out there (some with wax or other coatings), that you probably won't want to use. Some purveyors online are aware that home BBQers want this paper and are selling it for ridiculous amounts.

Yeah I was wondering about the ones I've seen with wax coatings on the inside. I'd keep that far away from my meat. It's worth trying, but I still think the quality of meat and and such is far more important than what you wrap it with, if anything.

BBQ industry is funny. One or two top people start doing something and then suddenly everyone jumps on it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I don't wrap briskets but I use that paper to line my counters with and do all the prep work on it so I don't have all that shit to clean up. Plus I can use it in the chimney starter after I'm done. I got a 700+ feet roll of it for under 30 bucks, I suppose you could use it on BBQ since it doesn't have any coatings.

http://www.amazon.com/Boardwalk-KFT3040765-Kraft-Paper-765ft/dp/B004NG8PIQ/ref=pd_sbs_328_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31Uj4s2B2oL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1EJCZ9C9TQWFVBYQZ50S

I use it for other things around the house too, it comes in handy for things other than BBQ.

newsguy

I hadn't seen the this thread in so long. I've been doing lots of smoking/grilling lately. I've been perfecting my reverse sear. Found that costco sells spinalis from the ribeye, it's like meat butter. When reverse seared properly, it's like butter and so tasty. Delicious. Also, I've been doing lots of beef ribs lately, I prefer them to pork ribs. Put some meat church rub on them and smoke them all day, so rich and tasty.

mcfrank

9Udu9QP.jpg

Here is one I did that was a no-wrap. The bark was amazing, but it took a long time to push through the stall. Helps that it was not a huge cut.

I use uncooked bacon when doing doing dates or MOINK balls. Also, don't use thick cut bacon. Takes forever and you'll overcook what's inside. Rub is up to you. I use it on MOINK balls, don't think I did on dates. I need to dates again soon. Here's some MOINK balls I did.

14840011467_bff42f8bb6_z.jpg

15023473201_72201123e6_z.jpg

15026165232_c49454419c_z.jpg

Paskil

Here's the flat from my brisket. I already posted the bacon wrapped burnt ends above, but the wrapped and non-wrapped are in the freezer so I can't take pictures. I refrigerated the flat overnight because I put it wrapped in a cooler for three hours after I pulled it. It was then Kate to slice, and honestly, its easier to slice after it has refrigerated. Tastes good and exactly what I was hoping for. I sliced it a bit thicker so it doesn't just fall apart when trying to bag it up for next weekend.

Paskil

Sorry, double post. I was on my phone and came back afte setting it aside and it was at the post screen. Didn't want to lose the post so posted again mistakenly.

Sacrilege probably to BBQ Gaf

But I got bought a pressure cooker at Christmas and been using that way more than my Smoker...

Liquid Smoke :eek:
Spice & Herb Rub
Joint of Brisket
Some Beer

Done in an hour

DrSlek

Did my first brisket today. 2.5KG.
I think it turned out pretty good for a first try. I found it cooked faster than a pork shoulder. Reached the temp where I'd normally wrap it in only 3 hours. I let it go for another hour before doing so. I suppose that's a good thing though, as it took me a good 2 hours to bet the weber alight. I don't know why it just refused to light. After I wrapped it, I brought it inside and put it in the oven for about 3-4 hours. Then let it sit for another 4 hours after it reached 198F.

Anyway, the result tastes bloody good. Seems pretty tender, but I haven't properly sliced it yet so I can't be sure. I've got it in the fridge now, waiting for my brother to get here.

ag-my001

#BlizzardBBQ

Who's with me?!

Just a leisurely path to walk...
tmp_28136-20160123_095154603512604_zpsjaqkjerh.jpg

To the one warm spot outside...
tmp_28136-20160123_1133361552006140_zpsapzmgmz8.jpg

For some nice pork spare ribs...
20160123_113342_zps0hfc29op.jpg

Just 5-6 hours to go.

I smoked some cashew nuts in june last year and put/stored them in a jar.
well...tonight I ate half of that jar because nothing else was here...they looked funny but tasted "normal".
I'll report back in tomorrow how i t goes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I smoked some cashew nuts in june last year and put/stored them in a jar.
well...tonight I ate half of that jar because nothing else was here...they looked funny but tasted "normal".
I'll report back in tomorrow how i t goes.

RIP I guess.

ColdPizza

Banned
BTW, not that it's a big deal, but if anyone is looking for more even slices on their ribs and brisket, I wholeheartedly recommend a few of the Victorinox knives.

(get the ones with the fibrox handles)

12 inch granton edge slicing knife...I got it for $44 on Amazon but it seems to have gone up $10 in price. Look around.
FSRA9RF.png

8 inch breaking knife...basically a bigger version of a boning knife. cheapest I found it was for $25 on Cabellas website

AOUuAmW.png

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
This is my first time attempting corned beef pastrami, I'm using Meathead's recipe and process from amazingribs.com. I picked up a 3lb flat from HEB with a nice fat cap, just put it in the bath tonight. I am probably going to smoke it all the way through though since I don't have something to steam it with.

captive

incoming cell phone pics.

Wifey wanted some ribs. Who am i to argue with a pregnant lady, especially when she was pregnant with our first, she couldnt even walk down the meat aisle without wanting to throw up.

Having not been really happy with my ribs, i hadn't done them in a while. so i went with a more simple rub and did 275 for ~2 hours, ~1 in foil and then a few minutes after foil with BBQ sauce on. Used Pecan and Cherry with Oak lump.

They were really good, wife loved them. Though i am pretty much at the point that if i'm going to do ribs, start getting them from a butcher or direct from a farm. The store bought ones have like no meat on them, compared to when you go to a BBQ restuarant. My boss at a previous job had bought ribs direct from a farm, they had like quarter to a half an inch more meat on each side than these baby backs.

right before foiling.

after they came off.

smoke ring.

incoming cell phone pics.

Wifey wanted some ribs. Who am i to argue with a pregnant lady, especially when she was pregnant with our first, she couldnt even walk down the meat aisle without wanting to throw up.

Having not been really happy with my ribs, i hadn't done them in a while. so i went with a more simple rub and did 275 for ~2 hours, ~1 in foil and then a few minutes after foil with BBQ sauce on. Used Pecan and Cherry with Oak lump.

They were really good, wife loved them. Though i am pretty much at the point that if i'm going to do ribs, start getting them from a butcher or direct from a farm. The store bought ones have like no meat on them, compared to when you go to a BBQ restuarant. My boss at a previous job had bought ribs direct from a farm, they had like quarter to a half an inch more meat on each side than these baby backs.
If you have a Restaurant Depot in town you can join the KCBS or St. Louis BBQ Society and get a free membership. Great selection of meat and the prices are pretty awesome. I like supporting my local butcher but they are always high on their prices.

Chris R

If temperatures stay in the mid 30s for me next weekend I'm thinking it might be time to bust out the grill on Saturday to have some pulled pork ready for "The Big Game"

Maybe even something day of, but it can't be pork butt since that just takes too long for it to be ready by 3 when the game starts.

PBY

Banned
sb8dp9J.jpg

Thanks for all your help re bark. Tweaked some stuff in my process - ie no foil, let it go to 202, and checked mostly by feel instead of temps. Still have a lot to learn.

andycapps

sb8dp9J.jpg

Thanks for all your help re bark. Tweaked some stuff in my process - ie no foil, let it go to 202, and checked mostly by feel instead of temps. Still have a lot to learn.

That bark looks much improved. Good stuff. That's what's fun about BBQ. It's an art, and it takes time to master. Helps that communities like this exist.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
It's the week I look forward to/dread all year. The week of the Super Bowl. That means cooks galore.

2 Pork Shoulders
Moinks (got the idea from this thread, they seem simple enough)
Sausage
Hot Wings
Ribs
MAYBE a Brisket

I will take plenty of pics/video to post. The reason I dread it is because every single year it seems to be rainy/windy/cold the entire weekend. So the cooks take longer and I have to go out in the wet.

Atleast this year I am making a plan to get it done so that I don't need to be up all night on Saturday.

Pork Shoulders - Friday evening/Saturday morning
Brisket - During the day Saturday
Ribs - Saturday evening
Wings prep - Saturday
Wings cook - Sunday
Sausage smoke -Sunday
Moinks - Sunday

That SHOULD give me time to jump in the shower, change and greet guests without charcoal all over my hands.

PBY

Banned
That bark looks much improved. Good stuff. That's what's fun about BBQ. It's an art, and it takes time to master. Helps that communities like this exist.

Thanks, there were a lot of great tips in this thread. I actually used butcher paper instead of foil, and WOW. Its 10000x better - didn't have that wet/soggy feel, heated up just as quickly, and kept in the juices just as well.

In fact, I dried it out a little because it heated up faster than I was expecting. Will never foil again, I wrapped it in butcher paper once the bark was set around 185 degrees btw.

Does anyone have any good cooking time guideline for something like smoked sausages?

I'm going to a local Amish market this week and want to get some sausages to smoke for the Super Bowl, and I don't have any clue how long and at what temperature I should smoke them at.

ColdPizza

Banned
Thanks, there were a lot of great tips in this thread. I actually used butcher paper instead of foil, and WOW. Its 10000x better - didn't have that wet/soggy feel, heated up just as quickly, and kept in the juices just as well.

In fact, I dried it out a little because it heated up faster than I was expecting. Will never foil again, I wrapped it in butcher paper once the bark was set around 185 degrees btw.

How many hours did it take you to get to 185? Also, what was the weight of the brisket?

PBY

Banned
How many hours did it take you to get to 185?

That was the other thing.

The Pit Barrel usually cooks really fast, especially for a 4-5 lb piece of brisket. Normally I'd hit 160 in 2-3 hours, wrap, then hit 190-200 in another 90 mins.

This time, I hit 160 in about 2.5 hours, but left it hanging. It hit 185 at about 7 hours. I wrapped it in the butchers paper bc it had totally stalled, and was dipping back down to 184. It took about another hour to hit 202.

captive

Does anyone have any good cooking time guideline for something like smoked sausages?

I'm going to a local Amish market this week and want to get some sausages to smoke for the Super Bowl, and I don't have any clue how long and at what temperature I should smoke them at.

it really depends on the type of sausage, and the cook temp. I just monitor them and take them off when they look like they are about to crack, or if a part of them has already cracked.

For johnsonville italian sausages for instance, at 225 i leave them on for about 30-45 minutes.

ColdPizza

Banned
That was the other thing.

The Pit Barrel usually cooks really fast, especially for a 4-5 lb piece of brisket. Normally I'd hit 160 in 2-3 hours, wrap, then hit 190-200 in another 90 mins.

This time, I hit 160 in about 2.5 hours, but left it hanging. It hit 185 at about 7 hours. I wrapped it in the butchers paper bc it had totally stalled, and was dipping back down to 184. It took about another hour to hit 202.

Alright...here's your other problem...

What kind of brisket are you getting that's only 4-5 pounds?

It usually takes me 6+ hours to reach 160-170 on a 13lb brisket at 250. I'm afraid your cut of meat is too small for the bark to set before the meat is completely overdone.

Do you have access to a Walmart that has a grocery section? You can find a Select (and sometimes choice) full packer brisket anywhere between 13-18 pounds for about $40.

PBY

Banned
Alright...here's your other problem...

What kind of brisket are you getting that's only 4-5 pounds?

It usually takes me 6+ hours to reach 160-170 on a 13lb brisket at 250. I'm afraid your cut of meat is too small for the bark to set before the meat is completely overdone.

Do you have access to a Walmart that has a grocery section? You can find a Select (and sometimes choice) full packer brisket anywhere between 13-18 pounds for about $40.

This was a flat. The meat actually wasn't totally overdone, the pit barrel tends to just cook faster than traditional smokers.

That said - I live in NYC so I pay 55 bux for a 5 lb flat, no Walmarts near me.

Top Bottom