• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Thanks.

I've got like a half dozen corned beef in the freezer. The grocery store had them on clearance for like $4 a package. I'm thinking of smoking them into pastrami on Friday.

zbarron

It's not BBQ but for those considering a Slow N Sear:
27678595875_2cb934c7de_b.jpg

27577604132_e32bfae3e3_b.jpg

It works great for skewers. It's the perfect size and since the steel doesn't let nearly as much heat through it protects the exposed wood. I didn't soak these and this is at the end of the cook. I moved the SNS closer to the center and it still left plenty of room to keep the skewers warm until they were ready to serve. My next test will be stir frying in a carbon steel wok over it.

Kampuchea

Banned
This thread makes me hot and bothered. I want to buy a smoker but don't have the space, if I had the money I'd buy that Weber Summit charcoal smoker, too bad I'm a poor college student. I'll buy a second hand Weber kettle and use that instead.......wait my apartment complex won't let me use charcoal :(

ink4n3

Made 17.5 lbs of pulled pork for a party my wife had. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but it my times always seem to take way longer than what is posted online. Smoked this for 22 hours to reach 203 deg.

mcfrank

Made 17.5 lbs of pulled pork for a party my wife had. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but it my times always seem to take way longer than what is posted online. Smoked this for 22 hours to reach 203 deg.
I count on 1.5-2 hours hours per pound l so that seems pretty long if each of those pieces is 8.5 lbs.what temp were you smoking at and how is your temperature management?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
DIY kettle pizza was successful on the first attempt. Temp got up to 950F with floor and ceiling temps of 700F-750F. I need to replace the stone with a thicker one ... this one is cheap. But the pizzas turned out great.

You can see I fucked up stretching the first one out onto the peel by the oval shape. Still tasted great. The 2nd one has a home made pizza sauce in place of san marzano tomatoes and some pickled jalapenos my sister gave me from her garden. The 2nd one was my favorite.

It took 1 full chimney of briquettes and about 1/2 - 3/4 chimney of lump on top plus 3 chunks of mesquite. I only made 2 but temps held up long enough to do 4 or 5 without having to add more wood.

Edit : Each one took about 2 - 2 and a half minutes to cook with 3 or 4 slight rotations on the stone.

Made some ribeyes with asparagus and red potatoes yesterday for my sisters in law. Simple stuff, but they were super impressed, saying everything was delicious and it was the best steak they'd ever had.

I love cooking for people. Everyone cooks outdoors but only some of us are passionate about it and actually know what we're doing :p

snacknuts

we all knew her
DIY kettle pizza was successful on the first attempt. Temp got up to 950F with floor and ceiling temps of 700F-750F. I need to replace the stone with a thicker one ... this one is cheap. But the pizzas turned out great.

You can see I fucked up stretching the first one out onto the peel by the oval shape. Still tasted great. The 2nd one has a home made pizza sauce in place of san marzano tomatoes and some pickled jalapenos my sister gave me from her garden. The 2nd one was my favorite.

It took 1 full chimney of briquettes and about 1/2 - 3/4 chimney of lump on top plus 3 chunks of mesquite. I only made 2 but temps held up long enough to do 4 or 5 without having to add more wood.

Edit : Each one took about 2 - 2 and a half minutes to cook with 3 or 4 slight rotations on the stone.

Great job, those look awesome.

This might be a stupid question, but if I have charcoal in my grill that didn't burn all the way up, can I re-use it the next time I get the grill going?

zbarron

Great job, those look awesome.

This might be a stupid question, but if I have charcoal in my grill that didn't burn all the way up, can I re-use it the next time I get the grill going?
Absolutely. I do this all the time. When you're done grilling shut all the vents and close it tight and in a few minutes they'll stop burning. I'll often put a layer or two of fresh briquettes in the bottom of the chimney so they prevent ones that are too small from slipping through and top it with the used ones and light as normal.

Edit:wrong word. Start/stop. same difference.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Made some ribeyes with asparagus and red potatoes yesterday for my sisters in law. Simple stuff, but they were super impressed, saying everything was delicious and it was the best steak they'd ever had.

I love cooking for people. Everyone cooks outdoors but only some of us are passionate about it and actually know what we're doing :p

yea i love cooking for people too.

My brother in law still raves about a steak i made for him over a year ago, and i dont even remember how i cooked it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Absolutely. I do this all the time. When you're done grilling shut all the vents and close it tight and in a few minutes they'll start burning. I'll often put a layer or two of fresh briquettes in the bottom of the chimney so they prevent ones that are too small from slipping through and top it with the used ones and light as normal.

Awesome, thanks.

Friggz

if you dont mind my asking, did you make your own dough? also, what are you cooking the pizzas in?

zbarron

I made the dough myself. The oven is a DIY version of this made with about 40 or 50 bucks worth of stuff.
I was also curious about the dough. Did you make a Neapolitan dough? You got amazing hole structure and leopard spotting and the cornicione looks perfect. Very well done. I am jealous. I've had so many pizza nights end in failure I've pretty much lost confidence in being able to make a really good one.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I was also curious about the dough. Did you make a Neapolitan dough? You got amazing hole structure and leopard spotting and the cornicione looks perfect. Very well done. I am jealous. I've had so many pizza nights end in failure I've pretty much lost confidence in being able to make a really good one.

Yeah, it was a Neapolitan style dough, I even used the Caputo brand 00 flour. I'm going to see how my tried and true King Arthur bread flour fares in the same recipe to see if it's worth the extra money for 00 flour. This is my recipe for 2 x 250g dough balls (I use baker's math) :

303g flour
197g water (cold)
5.3g salt
3.0g active dry yeast

and a 2 or 3 day cold ferment in the fridge. Many recipes you see online will suggest a 1 or 2 hour rise at room temp but from my experience a cold ferment produces far better flavor and structure.

zbarron

Yeah, it was a Neapolitan style dough, I even used the Caputo brand 00 flour. I'm going to see how my tried and true King Arthur bread flour fares in the same recipe to see if it's worth the extra money for 00 flour. This is my recipe for 2 x 250g dough balls (I use baker's math) :

303g flour
197g water (cold)
5.3g salt
3.0g active dry yeast

and a 2 or 3 day cold ferment in the fridge. Many recipes you see online will suggest a 1 or 2 hour rise at room temp but from my experience a cold ferment produces far better flavor and structure.
Very nice. I baked a lot of bread for a while and also used baker's percentages and a digital scale. I always used instant yeast though. I never saw the benefits of active dry.

I like cold fermentation for the reasons you listed and also cold dough is a hell of a lot easier to handle than room temperature dough which would be especially handy for pizza.

When I grill chicken wings, I toss them in the buttery hot sauce after cooking. They are good, but the sauce isn't really cooked onto the meat.

I'd like to do it differently, maybe with a thicker sauce and sear them after saucing. I'm looking for a sticky buffalo sauce. Any ideas or recipes?

zbarron

When I grill chicken wings, I toss them in the buttery hot sauce after cooking. They are good, but the sauce isn't really cooked onto the meat.

I'd like to do it differently, maybe with a thicker sauce and sear them after saucing. I'm looking for a sticky buffalo sauce. Any ideas or recipes?
I'm not sure to be honest. I've never been big on cooking the sauce on but one thing I can say not to do is reduce the sauce on the indoor stovetop. You will cough your lungs out. Trust me on this.

I'm not sure to be honest. I've never been big on cooking the sauce on but one thing I can say not to do is reduce the sauce on the indoor stovetop. You will cough your lungs out. Trust me on this.

I hadn't actually been reducing it at all. I think that's my problem. I'll use a skillet instead of a pot and let it simmer a lot longer. Maybe even add some starch for thickening.

...and I'll do it with the overhead fan on :)

zbarron

I hadn't actually been reducing it at all. I think that's my problem. I'll use a skillet instead of a pot and let it simmer a lot longer. Maybe even add some starch for thickening.

...and I'll do it with the overhead fan on :)
I still wouldn't recommend reducing. In most recipes the acid is added last because cooking it mutes it's flavor. Corn starch is an easy test. You could also make a blonde roux with butter and flour and then whisk in hot sauce if you want to get chef-y. I've never tried it, but experimenting is always fun and educational. It'd change the flavor but if you added tomato paste that would thicken it.

captive

i use franks red hot original with butter in a pan. However, Franks came out with a "thick" version of the sauce, which was in fact too thick. So i used half of the original and half of the thick and it was fucking perfect. You could dip the wings in the sauce and the sauce would stick to it.
Unfortunately i dont think they make it anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UR39VG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

in the regular sauce the suace drips off the wings but with the mixture it would stick perfectly.

zbarron

i use franks red hot original with butter in a pan. However, Franks came out with a "thick" version of the sauce, which was in fact too thick. So i used half of the original and half of the thick and it was fucking perfect. You could dip the wings in the sauce and the sauce would stick to it.
Unfortunately i dont think they make it anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UR39VG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

in the regular sauce the suace drips off the wings but with the mixture it would stick perfectly.

Was the thick version similar to the thickness of Sriracha. That is easy to find. Half Franks and Half Sriracha whisked into melted butter sounds tasty.

Another issue I've had with my buffalo wings is the slightly metallic taste, but then I read about reactive pans and found my problem. whoops!

DjRalford

BBQ GAF

I've never smoked anything in my life, but i have some 3/4" thick pork belly slices i want to smoke with hickorychips in a foil pouch on my gas bbq.

How long should i smoke them for?
Is it worth smoking, then cooking them slow, cooling them for 24hrs and bringing them up to temp on a high heat direct grill the following day?

Anything would be a help as i'm going in blind.

With Pork, you almost have to wrap it in Tin Foil at the end for at least 2 hours

suberzat

Where is the best place to pick up meat to grill in DC? From small portions for two to cookouts for 20+.
For the price:
For the quality:

captive

Was the thick version similar to the thickness of Sriracha. That is easy to find. Half Franks and Half Sriracha whisked into melted butter sounds tasty.
ive never had sriracha sauce. But the franks was about the same thickness as ketchup, which is why i cut it with the regular stuff which is too thin.

The other method i've done is to make a cornstarch slurry, which is just water and cornstarch and mixed that into the Franks original which also worked quite well.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I think you could probably put a thin layer of sauce on the wings while they're grilling, maybe two, to get it "cooked in." But even then, I would put extra sauce on at the end. My personal favorite wing sauce is equal parts Frank's and Sweet Baby Ray's.

I wish I had $20K laying around collecting dust so I could afford it!

Is THAT how much it costs.....

Holy shit, it's nice but fuck man I know a few machinists who could put something similar together for much less.

Granted it probably wouldn't have that much sheen, but still...

I was sitting in the doorway of the laundry room waiting for the dryer to finish. The guy next door decided to grill some bugers and asparagus for dinner. I was cringing the whole time watching him butcher it so badly. It really takes more skill than knowing how to start a fire.

ColdPizza

Banned
Is THAT how much it costs.....

Holy shit, it's nice but fuck man I know a few machinists who could put something similar together for much less.

Granted it probably wouldn't have that much sheen, but still...

I don't know man, it looks like some thought and engineering went into this...

I'm not saying I'd drop $20k on this, but this unit is pretty impressive...here you can see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJxtG_fH8g

I was sitting in the doorway of the laundry room waiting for the dryer to finish. The guy next door decided to grill some bugers and asparagus for dinner. I was cringing the whole time watching him butcher it so badly. It really takes more skill than knowing how to start a fire.

Yeah, it's crazy how many people make one big hot cooking zone and use lighter fluid lol

ColdPizza

Banned
It really is a thing of beauty though.

You know somehow I'm reminded of barbacoa and I have no idea why...

Ever make one of those? Or cook in a hangi?

If I owned land I would do all sorts of crazy shit. Haha.

There's something appealing about digging a hole in the ground and filling it with embers and just cooking meat.

zbarron

How much do you all pay for brisket, and where do you get it? The only places around me that sell it are my butcher for $4.49 a pound and Sam's Club which sells Choice whole beef brisket for $3.48 a pound? I've never cooked one and always wanted to but I don't want to overpay since those things are massive and the price would add up fast, and this being my first time there's a fair chance I'd mess it up.

ag-my001

The BJs wholesale has flats for $4.99/lb for flats, and a local butcher has packers for $4.89. The problem of being a BBQ fan in Maryland instead of Texas.

captive

The BJs wholesale has flats for $4.99/lb for flats, and a local butcher has packers for $4.89. The problem of being a BBQ fan in Maryland instead of Texas.

lol those are like retail prices for prime cuts of whole packer briskets here in texas.

How much do you all pay for brisket, and where do you get it? The only places around me that sell it are my butcher for $4.49 a pound and Sam's Club which sells Choice whole beef brisket for $3.48 a pound? I've never cooked one and always wanted to but I don't want to overpay since those things are massive and the price would add up fast, and this being my first time there's a fair chance I'd mess it up.

First time smoking a meat or first time smoking a brisket??

If it's smoking the meat, you can always try smoking a pork butt or pork shoulder. Those cuts are usually 99 cents to $1.99 a pound. Much cheaper, and probably a little more forgiving than beef. It can help you get a feel for your grill and maintaining temp for the duration of the cooking. Then jump into the more expensive cuts.

If you've got a spare freezer, you can also ask about buying a 1/4 cow that would give you several cuts of meat like brisket, ribs, ground beef, filets, and so forth. The prices on those usually come out to a few dollars per pound, but you're talking like 100lbs of meat. My butcher shop here sells brisket for $6.99/lb, so $4.50 seems like a steal to me.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I paid $2.67/lb for prime brisket not too long ago at HEB during a sale.

Liljagare

Found my favourite cut, served it for midsummers eve, Secreto de Iberico (from the black footed spanish pigs that eat acorns all day).. dang it is a juicy piece of meat:

906481d242cd1f3f2db8b105f4e2be05.png

zbarron

Yeah that's comparable to prices here in Ohio.
lol those are like retail prices for prime cuts of whole packer briskets here in texas.
I don't get why it's so much cheaper there.
First time smoking a meat or first time smoking a brisket??

If it's smoking the meat, you can always try smoking a pork butt or pork shoulder. Those cuts are usually 99 cents to $1.99 a pound. Much cheaper, and probably a little more forgiving than beef. It can help you get a feel for your grill and maintaining temp for the duration of the cooking. Then jump into the more expensive cuts.

If you've got a spare freezer, you can also ask about buying a 1/4 cow that would give you several cuts of meat like brisket, ribs, ground beef, filets, and so forth. The prices on those usually come out to a few dollars per pound, but you're talking like 100lbs of meat. My butcher shop here sells brisket for $6.99/lb, so $4.50 seems like a steal to me.
First time doing brisket. I've done over a sozen smokes of other meats. I've done chicken, st. louis ribs, country ribs, baby back ribs, pork butt, and beef short ribs. It feels time to try my hand at a brisket.
Shit's not fair. Still that's a sale price where this is an everyday price.

Also depends on which HEB, sometimes. :(

To be fair, though, Costco usually has prime briskets for less than HEB has choice or select. lately they've been sitting at $2.79/lb and holding, plus they tend to be bigger. Most of the HEBs around here in San Antonio don't have prime brisket, let alone 14lbs or bigger.

ColdPizza

Banned
Eh, I try not to trip myself up on meat selection. Cows are graded as a whole and not individual cuts. I've had brisket that was select before and has turned out bangin'. Just look for good marbling and dimensions and inject if it looks lean.

Edit: not that I'm saying prime or choice isn't better, but I'm not going to let it ruin my plans if I can't get either.

We are also forgetting left vs right sided brisket!!!! Left is best!

http://www.bbqsearch.com/search/101390.html

Also:

Another exception to the rule is that you can find a Prime Grade quality brisket that is marked Select and a Select grade marked Choice.

My rule of thumb is Flexibility and Marbleing. Evenness on the flat end is a plus. I'm going to inspect the lefties before I move on to the right handed ones.

Top Bottom