• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Also depends on which HEB, sometimes. :(

To be fair, though, Costco usually has prime briskets for less than HEB has choice or select. lately they've been sitting at $2.79/lb and holding, plus they tend to be bigger. Most of the HEBs around here in San Antonio don't have prime brisket, let alone 14lbs or bigger.

They have been consistent in the 3 stores I go to here in Htown. They are the only chain I get meat from, wal mart and kroger have always been hit or miss for me.

Right now they have packer briskets for $1.97/lb (choice)

I'm grilling ribs next weekend for 4th of July, but I only have access to a gas grill. Anyone got any marinade for ribs recipes or spice suggestions?

Hanzou

Up here in Canada brisket is at least $7 a pound and pork butt is a over $3. You select americans need to stop complaining! Plus gas is like $5 a gallon here. Ugh I hate the prices here sometimes.

zbarron

Slickeals posted a deal on a years Sam's Club Membership so I jumped on that and went today. They didn't have any full packers out so I grabbed a 7.5lb flat since I'm excited to do one. I'll grab a full packer next time. Anyone have any tips on doing a flat and it not being dry? I also got a pork loin I cut into 14 separate two inch thick chops so that should be tasty.

ColdPizza

Banned
Slickeals posted a deal on a years Sam's Club Membership so I jumped on that and went today. They didn't have any full packers out so I grabbed a 7.5lb flat since I'm excited to do one. I'll grab a full packer next time. Anyone have any tips on doing a flat and it not being dry? I also got a pork loin I cut into 14 separate two inch thick chops so that should be tasty.

When are you doing it? I bought Steven Raichlin's new project smoke book and he has a supposed fool proof way of doing a flat if you can wait a few hours. Kid is passed out on my lap so I can't get to it.

zbarron

When are you doing it? I bought Steven Raichlin's new project smoke book and he has a supposed fool proof way of doing a flat if you can wait a few hours. Kid is passed out on my lap so I can't get to it.

I'd like to start it tomorrow morning. Ideally I'd serve it for dinner but I hear it can take 12 hours plus resting so that's not likely. I was considering doing it overnight tonight but it's projected to rain.

Does he/you recommend dry brining it tonight or can I just salt/season it in the morning and make my life easier?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'd like to start it tomorrow morning. Ideally I'd serve it for dinner but I hear it can take 12 hours plus resting so that's not likely. I was considering doing it overnight tonight but it's projected to rain.

Does he/you recommend dry brining it tonight or can I just salt/season it in the morning and make my life easier?

it should not take 12 hours to do a 7.5 brisket flat, imo.

ColdPizza

Banned

I apologize for the late response. My kids overwhelmed me last night. I found it online.

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/slam-dunk-brisket/

edit: in my book he has instructions for both a flat and a packer. Seems like the online instructions are for the packer.

wondering now if the pickle juice is meant to act as a tenderizer.

zbarron

I apologize for the late response. My kids overwhelmed me last night. I found it online.

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/slam-dunk-brisket/

edit: in my book he has instructions for both a flat and a packer. Seems like the online instructions are for the packer.

wondering now if the pickle juice is meant to act as a tenderizer.

No need to apologize. i'm feeding my 4 month old right now so I understand. I decided to season it last night and I don't own butcher paper so I'm probably going to go with this method which seems traditional, with a relatively late wrap. I might wrap it earlier depending on how long it's taking and how my day is going though.

When I seasoned it I did what Malcolm Reed does in his video and did it in layers. The first one was black pepper and fluer de sel since I was out of kosher salt. Next I did my BBQ Rub, and then I finished it with a chicago style steakhouse seasoning and wrapped it in plastic wrap overnight. I'll probably toss it on in an hour.

Edit: Dammit. I used some Stubbs I had in the garage for a couple months and it must have absorbed some humidity since I'm getting a lot of white smoke and when I went to investigate it was coming from the charcoal not the wood. I'm thinking of just riding it out hoping it tones down in a bit but if thick white smoke will make the brisket inedible let me know and I'll take it out. No sense wasting that much meat.

f076cJj.jpg

Chicken wings over the weekend were a big success. I've made them many times before but I changed a few things around this time, including having a thicker sauce that stuck to the wings better. Here's my recipe for 20-24 chicken wings:

Sauce:
-mix 1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Crystal) with 2 cloves pressed garlic, 1 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
-heat mixture in a nonreactive pan over low heat until it starts to bubble
-mix in 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
-add small amounts of starch (I use potato starch) and stir until desired thickness is reached

Wings:
-separate 10-12 whole wings (I discard the tips), rinse and pat dry
-season wings with salt (I use Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning) and refrigerate for 2 hrs
-toss wings with oil (I use peanut oil) just before grilling
-set up two zone grill (I use Slow N Sear without water)
-smoke wings on indirect side for 20-30 minutes until brown, flipping once (I use soaked cherry wood chips)
-sear wings on direct side over high heat for 2-3 minutes each side
-toss wings in sauce and serve

captive

i can't believe in all the years i've been smoking i've still never done wings

smoked wings are overrated imo. I have a infrared grill, my wings are unbreaded, but i cook them at 700+ degrees on my infrared and the skin comes out like it was fried. Dip in sauce, they're amazing.
When we tried smoked wings they were just meh compared to crispy skin on the infrared grill.

Probably my favorite "non bbq" recipe, recipe here http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/2013/01/stuffed-pork-tenderloin.html
spiral cut pork tenderloin stuffed with spinach, asparagus, green onion, garlic & monteray jack.

and because we had extra asparagus we made a medley as well.

smoked wings are overrated imo. I have a infrared grill, my wings are unbreaded, but i cook them at 700+ degrees on my infrared and the skin comes out like it was fried. Dip in sauce, they're amazing.
When we tried smoked wings they were just meh compared to crispy skin on the infrared grill.

that's why you do both :D

suberzat

Where is the best place to pick up meat to grill in DC? From small portions for two to cookouts for 20+.
For the price:
For the quality:

Bolling AFB is the best place I've found so far to pick up meat.

Very good prices for the meat and brand vs stores off base.

A rack of ribs for $10.00

pack of 6 drumsticks for $2.00

12 wings for $5.70

Decent prices for me but still on the search for other shops

ColdPizza

Banned
Where is the best place to pick up meat to grill in DC? From small portions for two to cookouts for 20+.
For the price:
For the quality:

If you can get out of the city proper and go to Maryland or Virginia and find a Wegmans you'll get some good quality stuff for a good price.

zbarron

Brisket Update:

Here's my brisket as I'm about to wrap it. I wrapped it at 168*F so it was already somewhat into the stall. I was waiting for it to get to that color. In the time it took me to take the picture, wrap it, put it on and shut the lid it dropped about 10 degrees but that shouldn't be a problem. This was fat side up so those pools are the rendered fat.
27907639096_ab412dd4a5_h.jpg

Here's my graph of the cooker temp.
27840371322_ea07f95f34_b.jpg

After setting it up I made one vent adjustment at about 9:15. The dip at 12:15 was me refilling the water. The spiked near the end was keeping it open too long while transferring and wrapping it. I really can't praise the Slow N Sear enough. When I'm not messing with it, it's really steady and makes a nice humid environment.

Right now it's settled at 250 and I'm not sure if it's worth messing with. I see some say to pull it at 195 and others at 205. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and going at 200. I don't know a good way to test it while it's still wrapped.

ColdPizza

Banned
There isn't...you have to unwrap it and give it the jiggle test (should basically feel like jello) or take a gloved finger and see if you can pierce it easily. Temperature is just a guideline.

If you use the butchers paper though you can jiggle test it without unwrapping.

zbarron

There isn't...you have to unwrap it and give it the jiggle test (should basically feel like jello) or take a gloved finger and see if you can pierce it easily. Temperature is just a guideline.

If you use the butchers paper though you can jiggle test it without unwrapping.

I don't have butcher paper or gloves. I'll try taking it to 195 and try to pierce it with the handle of a spoon. If that goes in near effortlessly It should be done. My only concern is if it's not done, do I wrap it up and bring it all the way up to 200 even though in the process it'll drop to like 170?

captive

I don't have butcher paper or gloves. I'll try taking it to 195 and try to pierce it with the handle of a spoon. If that goes in near effortlessly It should be done. My only concern is if it's not done, do I wrap it up and bring it all the way up to 200 even though in the process it'll drop to like 170?

the internal temp isn't going to drop from 195 to 170 just from you unwrapping it. Even if you unwrapped it and left it would still climb 2-5 degrees. Meat always continues to cook after you take it off, from small pieces like chicken or steaks to large pieces like pork butts or brisket.

Use a temperature probe if you have one, it should slide in and out like cutting somewhat cool butter, not room temp soft butter.

I take mine to 205 internal temp and let rest for several hours, they come out super super tender.

ColdPizza

Banned

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a $7 pair of heat resistant PVC gloves.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Monkey-PVC-Coated-Cleaning-Gloves-Large-X-Large-24203-08/202759384

I use these to handle meat and pull pork. Less risky than tongs.

zbarron

the internal temp isn't going to drop from 195 to 170 just from you unwrapping it. Even if you unwrapped it and left it would still climb 2-5 degrees. Meat always continues to cook after you take it off, from small pieces like chicken or steaks to large pieces like pork butts or brisket.

Use a temperature probe if you have one, it should slide in and out like cutting somewhat cool butter, not room temp soft butter.

I take mine to 205 internal temp and let rest for several hours, they come out super super tender.
Thanks for the info. I probed and jiggled it at 5:00 since I wanted it to rest for an hour and serve at 6:00. It was at 193 but tested as perfect. I wrapped it back up in foil, shut all the vents and let it rest in the smoker.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a $7 pair of heat resistant PVC gloves.

I use these to handle meat and pull pork. Less risky than tongs.

I'm currently using these, They resist heat well but due to the material I can't touch the meat without getting them nasty.

This was the best BBQ I've ever made or had. Granted I live in Ohio so that's not the biggest claim.

After the rest I stuck it in a 350 oven on a half sheet pan and cookie rack for about 5-10 minutes to firm up the bark just a little bit. It came out wonderful I timed this thing to the minute. I got really lucky.

The smoke was easy enough and it was nice. The neighbor's outdoor cat paid me a visit. I think she smelled the meat.
27870193631_954fae0e16_b.jpg

Here's how it looked fully cooked, rested and firmed.
27668045060_0a338eefa0_b.jpg

I thought the color was perfect.

Here's a shot of the internal.
27870179031_3c491d75fd_b.jpg

The smoke ring is thin and to be honest I could only slightly taste the smoke. I don't know if I'm just used to the more mild smoked pork, or if I didn't use enough wood. I used Cherry which is a mild wood but better under than over smoked. It was amazingly tasty.

I cut it into 1/4" slices and it easily passed the pull test. The meat was tender, the fat was rich and tasty and the bark was firm and full of flavor.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
With Pork, you almost have to wrap it in Tin Foil at the end for at least 2 hours

I never wrap a pork butt while cooking, just no need.. there's almost zero chance the thing is going to dry out during a cook since there's so much fat in the meat, though I do tend to wrap after cooking while it rests.

I do foil brisket a lot of times, because I'm lazy and it takes to long to hit temp and foil get's it to finish quicker and considering after awhile it's not really taking on anymore smoke.

I usually foil ribs for the same reason, just cuts down on cook time I can't taste a good smoke diff by going foil/non-foil.. and I never end up with dry ribs which is a bonus.

The bark looks awesome.

Also, I bet that will taste smokier tomorrow.

Cubed up brisket also makes for bomb ass chili!

That's my go-to day 2 brisket dinner... makes bomb ass chili.

zbarron

Thanks for the kind words and good advice everyone. Without the nice tools I'm using or the invaluable shared knowledge of everyone here I couldn't have made such a perfect brisket on my first try.

I'm not sure about the chili. I'm back on the Ketogenic diet and not sure if I could make a good chili that's extremely low carb. My wife was surprised at how much she loved the taste of the fat cap. Next time I'll have to get a packer. She'll probably prefer the point and there should be more fat overall.

Chris R

Got a Walmart, Restaurant Depot, or a wholesale club like BJs, Sams, Costco around you?

Costco is a bit cheaper per pound, but it is also way too much meat for me to cook. I'm usually the only one eating my meat, a butt lasts me a week of lunches or dinners easy.

ColdPizza

Banned
Next time I foil pork shoulder it'll be towards the end and in a tin pan. Gonna collect all those juices and mix with the meat when pulling.

zbarron

Next time I foil pork shoulder it'll be towards the end and in a tin pan. Gonna collect all those juices and mix with the meat when pulling.

That's what I did with my most recent pork shoulder. I put the meat and all the juice from the foil and the drip pan below it into the stand mixer bowl and turned it on for a few seconds. The meat reabsorbed every drop like a sponge. It was tender and as juicy as a peach. It did pull it a little too fine for my liking, but I'm not sure if pulling it by hand will have it absorb quite as well.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
What's everyone smoking for this weekend?

I bought a brisket at HEB in Houston that I plan on smoking Saturday or Sunday. I am going to use a Traeger smoker to do it. I bought one for my mom years ago and she used it twice. I am going to bring it over to my place and try it out. Most likely will do some wings as well. I am not really up to doing it big this year.

I bought a brisket at HEB in Houston that I plan on smoking Saturday or Sunday. I am going to use a Traeger smoker to do it. I bought one for my mom years ago and she used it twice. I am going to bring it over to my place and try it out. Most likely will do some wings as well. I am not really up to doing it big this year.

How much are they per lb right now? I stopped by last weekend but didn't check the prices for them.

Thinking about doing something smaller this year too.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
How much are they per lb right now? I stopped by last weekend but didn't check the prices for them.

Thinking about doing something smaller this year too.

$1.94/lb at the one in Summerwood. The 'super trim' are like $3.50 but I never get those.

I'm also planning on smoking a brisket this weekend.

zbarron

sprung for a creekstone brisket, super excited to give it a shot, hoping i don't mess it up!
Damn. Those are pricey. I look forward to hearing how it turns out.
Any good recipes for a vinegar-based east Carolina BBQ sauce?
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/10/north-carolina-barbecue-vinegar-sauce.html
Is this what you meant?
$1.94/lb at the one in Summerwood. The 'super trim' are like $3.50 but I never get those.

I'm also planning on smoking a brisket this weekend.
Fuck. I paid $4.98 for my flat. I guess that's the price I pay for the 74*F day I'm enjoying today.

Paskil

My birthday was last week and since I haven't smoked anything since a packer brisket a few weeks ago, I'm going to make a pork shoulder for sandwiches for my birthday dinner on the 4th
MURICA
. I also pay people in smoked meat when they do me favors, so will be doing an extra shoulder for a coworker. I'm trying to think if I want to smoke anything else.

Anyone have a good vinegar mustard sauce recipe (with a bit of heat) to use on pulled pork sandwiches? Edit: Oh shit, post right above me, lol.

I bought a Thermapen instant thermometer last month. Highly recommend it. With the money I've spent on garbage thermometers, I should have just gone with the Thermapen from the start. I also think I might go buy a better flexible filet knife for fat and film trimming.

Red, White, or Blue Thermapen Mk 4 are on sale for $84.15. It seems expensive, but it's worth every penny.

zbarron

My birthday was last week and since I haven't smoked anything since a packer brisket a few weeks ago, I'm going to make a pork shoulder for sandwiches for my birthday dinner on the 4th
MURICA
. I also pay people in smoked meat when they do me favors, so will be doing an extra shoulder for a coworker. I'm trying to think if I want to smoke anything else.

Anyone have a good vinegar mustard sauce recipe (with a bit of heat) to use on pulled pork sandwiches? Edit: Oh shit, post right above me, lol.

I bought a Thermapen instant thermometer last month. Highly recommend it. With the money I've spent on garbage thermometers, I should have just gone with the Thermapen from the start. I also think I might go buy a better flexible filet knife for fat and film trimming.

Red, White, or Blue Thermapen Mk 4 are on sale for $84.15. It seems expensive, but it's worth every penny.
That was a vinegar sauce. It'd work well with pulled pork but if you want a mustard sauce try this.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/south-carolina-mustard-sauce-barbecue-recipe.html

A boning knife and an instand read thermometer are next on my list of tools I want.

Paskil

That was a vinegar sauce. It'd work well with pulled pork but if you want a mustard sauce try this.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/south-carolina-mustard-sauce-barbecue-recipe.html

A boning knife and an instand read thermometer are next on my list of tools I want.

Thanks for the recipe. I seriously cannot recommend the Thermapen enough. I bought three instant read thermometers over the last few years and probably spent around the price I paid for my Thermapen. They were all trash or took forever to get a temp read. The four second read for the Thermapen isn't an exaggeration.

All of that probably makes me sound like a product shill, but I bought mine from a pretty nifty BBQ store in Chicago and they surprisingly didn't mark it above the direct buy cost. I will sing their product praises from the rooftop because once I find a product I like, I am more than happy to share how happy I am with it.

If the thermapen is too pricey for anybody, take a look at the thermopop. It takes few seconds longer (5-6) but works just as well. I've had mine for a while now and it works great. Made by the same company and I've seen it from around $20-$30.

sangreal

The smoke was easy enough and it was nice. The neighbor's outdoor cat paid me a visit. I think she smelled the meat.
27870193631_954fae0e16_b.jpg

Here's how it looked fully cooked, rested and firmed.
27668045060_0a338eefa0_b.jpg

I thought the color was perfect.

looks good, but won't the neighbors notice the cat missing?

zbarron

Thanks for the recipe. I seriously cannot recommend the Thermapen enough. I bought three instant read thermometers over the last few years and probably spent around the price I paid for my Thermapen. They were all trash or took forever to get a temp read. The four second read for the Thermapen isn't an exaggeration.

All of that probably makes me sound like a product shill, but I bought mine from a pretty nifty BBQ store in Chicago and they surprisingly didn't mark it above the direct buy cost. I will sing their product praises from the rooftop because once I find a product I like, I am more than happy to share how happy I am with it.
Thermoworks products are great no doubt. According to TheSweetHome the one I linked (the runner up) is as fast or faster than the thermopop but the probe is shorter.

If the thermapen is too pricey for anybody, take a look at the thermopop. It takes few seconds longer (5-6) but works just as well. I've had mine for a while now and it works great. Made by the same company and I've seen it from around $20-$30.
I was considering that one but with free Prime shipping my choice is considerably cheaper.
looks good, but won't the neighbors notice the cat missing?
There's always a first time I suppose.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Fuck. I paid $4.98 for my flat. I guess that's the price I pay for the 74*F day I'm enjoying today.

Flats are usually more expensive here too, I think I paid $4.49 the past couple of times I got them to make pastrami with. They get processed by hand there at the super market, Kroger has been the only place I can find one at when I want one.

Hello BBQ Gaf, thinking of smoking a brisket this week however I'm in a bit of a jam. I live in a apartment complex that does not allow grills or smokers, however we do have grills available to us by our pool area. They are gas grills. I'm thinking of picking up a smoker box like this Does anyone have any experience with smoker boxes and gas grills?

Top Bottom