• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

ShinAmano

Bottle Share BBQ
2mo3wq0.jpg

suberzat

Hello BBQ Gaf, thinking of smoking a brisket this week however I'm in a bit of a jam. I live in a apartment complex that does not allow grills or smokers, however we do have grills available to us by our pool area. They are gas grills. I'm thinking of picking up a smoker box like this Does anyone have any experience with smoker boxes and gas grills?

But what if the apartment complex does not allow the smoker box and something goes wrong with the gas line. Will you leave or continue to grill.

Maybe you should just stick grilling to your local grocery store sausage and Tenderloin/streak.

Just don't want you to get hurt dude.

But what if the apartment complex does not allow the smoker box and something goes wrong with the gas line. Will you leave or continue to grill.

Maybe you should just stick grilling to your local grocery store sausage and Tenderloin/streak.

Just don't want you to get hurt dude.

So you don't have any experience with a smoker box? Thanks for the feedback.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hello BBQ Gaf, thinking of smoking a brisket this week however I'm in a bit of a jam. I live in a apartment complex that does not allow grills or smokers, however we do have grills available to us by our pool area. They are gas grills. I'm thinking of picking up a smoker box like this Does anyone have any experience with smoker boxes and gas grills?

I actually think I have that box. Or one like it. It depends if you can get the smoker box basically right on top of the heating element. Only then will you get some meaningful smoke but even then smoking on a gas grill isn't a very fruitful endeavor. Depends how big your brisket is too. It'll cook but you probably won't get a very good crust or smoke flavor. You could try doing the high heat method for brisket as long as the meat isn't ever directly above the heat.

I actually think I have that box. Or one like it. It depends if you can get the smoker box basically right on top of the heating element. Only then will you get some meaningful smoke but even then smoking on a gas grill isn't a very fruitful endeavor. Depends how big your brisket is too. It'll cook but you probably won't get a very good crust or smoke flavor. You could try doing the high heat method for brisket as long as the meat isn't ever directly above the heat.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it out this weekend and report my results.

Need help and/or suggestions. I'm attempting to cook ribs for the first time on a gas grill. I've read that there are these smoke bombs that you can make out of wood chips and foil to get hickory flavoring from a gas grill. Has anyone heard of this, or have any tips in general for grilling a rack of ribs?

ColdPizza

Banned
Need help and/or suggestions. I'm attempting to cook ribs for the first time on a gas grill. I've read that there are these smoke bombs that you can make out of wood chips and foil to get hickory flavoring from a gas grill. Has anyone heard of this, or have any tips in general for grilling a rack of ribs?

I think you'd be better off baking them in the oven until fall apart tender then saucing and crisping them up on the grill.

I just don't think you'll get much of any smoke on the ribs.

Then again, you can use my gas grill advice above for your ribs. Use indirect heat. Get soaked wood chips right on top of the heat. Foil wrap and puncture holes in it.

I've done this before. The local butcher where I pick up a lot of my meat has wood chips in a small foil pan.

You soak them over night, wrap the pan in foil day of the cook and poke holes with a fork on the top.

I assume throwing wood chips into foil will work really similar.

wowzors

Thanks for the recipe. I seriously cannot recommend the Thermapen enough. I bought three instant read thermometers over the last few years and probably spent around the price I paid for my Thermapen. They were all trash or took forever to get a temp read. The four second read for the Thermapen isn't an exaggeration.

All of that probably makes me sound like a product shill, but I bought mine from a pretty nifty BBQ store in Chicago and they surprisingly didn't mark it above the direct buy cost. I will sing their product praises from the rooftop because once I find a product I like, I am more than happy to share how happy I am with it.

What store if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Chicago and been thinking about getting a thermapen for a while.

I think you'd be better off baking them in the oven until fall apart tender then saucing and crisping them up on the grill.

I just don't think you'll get much of any smoke on the ribs.

Then again, you can use my gas grill advice above for your ribs. Use indirect heat. Get soaked wood chips right on top of the heat. Foil wrap and puncture holes in it.

I've done this before. The local butcher where I pick up a lot of my meat has would chips in a small foil pan.

You soak them over night, wrap the pan in foil day of the cook and poke holes with a fork on the top.

I assume throwing wood chips into foil will work really similar.

Thank you both. I might give it a shot just to see what the results will be, but could settle for the oven idea if I'm running low on time.

ColdPizza

Banned
Note to self (and others here)...if you're going to try to follow a recipe, make sure you can acquire the hardest to find recipe items first.

Had a hell of a time trying to find achiote paste (can order it on amazon) so then I had to try to find anatto seeds to make my own paste....took hours and like 6 stores...wow, never again.

anyway, making the citrus marinated pork butt recipe from the book, Smoke & Spice so I can make some pulled pork tacos...will try to take pics and let you know how it turned out.

was getting a little tired of standard pulled pork. this recipe calls for a half shoulder (about 3 to 3.5) pounds, and even then that's cut in half length wise and foiled at some point so this cook should only take 4-5 hours.

zbarron

Note to self (and others here)...if you're going to try to follow a recipe, make sure you can acquire the hardest to find recipe items first.

Had a hell of a time trying to find achiote paste (can order it on amazon) so then I had to try to find anatto seeds to make my own paste....took hours and like 6 stores...wow, never again.

anyway, making the citrus marinated pork butt recipe from the book, Smoke & Spice so I can make some pulled pork tacos...will try to take pics and let you know how it turned out.

was getting a little tired of standard pulled pork. this recipe calls for a half shoulder (about 3 to 3.5) pounds, and even then that's cut in half length wise and foiled at some point so this cook should only take 4-5 hours.
If you haven't already, try making Cubano sandwiches with it. It's pulled pork, ham, Swiss, yellow mustard, half sour dill pickles, and it's a cooked in a panini press. It calls for mojo marinated pork shoulder which is very similar to citrus marinated, possibly even identical. I don't own a panini press but had good luck sandwiching it between two preheated nested cast iron skillets. It's one of my top 3 sandwiches, and I was a professional Sandwich Artist for several years.

ColdPizza

Banned
If you haven't already, try making Cubano sandwiches with it. It's pulled pork, ham, Swiss, yellow mustard, half sour dill pickles, and it's a cooked in a panini press. It calls for mojo marinated pork shoulder which is very similar to citrus marinated, possibly even identical. I don't own a panini press but had good luck sandwiching it between two preheated nested cast iron skillets. It's one of my top 3 sandwiches, and I was a professional Sandwich Artist for several years.

Good idea for leftovers. I basically I'm making a variation of conchita pibil. I just have a ton of tortillas that need eating so I figure pulled pork will go well with it.

Chris R

Butts been on just over 5.5 hours at this point, looking GREAT.

Snake method ftw! I'll have to get one of those bluetooth thermos at some point though so I don't have to use the thermo on top of the grill during the cook and my meat thermo when I get close to being done.

Is my pork ruined??

So I started the grill last night around midnight with a 10lb pork shoulder. Sometime in the middle of the night, just a few hours in, the stupid sprinklers came on and put out my fire. It sat on the grill until 11am when I went to check on it. I went a head and restarted it because I wasn't sure what to do with it. Now it won't be done until like midnight or later.

I think I tried using too much of the mesquite charcoal, which is hardly uniformed in size and not enough kingsford charcoal to keep the burn going properly. I did try to create an even amount of charcoal all the way around. I ran a line of kingsford in front of the mesquite and a line of it on top of the mesquite. We were going to have our game night/4 of july bbq tonight, but we pushed it back until tomorrow. I also bought another pork shoulder to serve to every one.

I just hate the idea of throwing away so much food.

mcfrank

Is my pork ruined??

So I started the grill last night around midnight with a 10lb pork shoulder. Sometime in the middle of the night, just a few hours in, the stupid sprinklers came on and put out my fire. It sat on the grill until 11am when I went to check on it. I went a head and restarted it because I wasn't sure what to do with it. Now it won't be done until like midnight or later.

I think I tried using too much of the mesquite charcoal, which is hardly uniformed in size and not enough kingsford charcoal to keep the burn going properly. I did try to create an even amount of charcoal all the way around. I ran a line of kingsford in front of the mesquite and a line of it on top of the mesquite. We were going to have our game night/4 of july bbq tonight, but we pushed it back until tomorrow. I also bought another pork shoulder to serve to every one.

I just hate the idea of throwing away so much food.

I would highly advise not eating that or serving it to other people.

zbarron

Yeah. I think you know the answer. You had pork sit out for 11 hours outside. I know it sucks but it's a lot cheaper to throw it than to get sick with it. You owe it to your guests to toss it.

Yeah. I think you know the answer. You had pork sit out for 11 hours outside. I know it sucks but it's a lot cheaper to throw it than to get sick with it. You owe it to your guests to toss it.

We already postponed the bbq until tomorrow. I actually tried cooking it further but it turned into this nasty mush. Like I pulled the knife out and it looked like paste on it. It promptly went in the dumpster. We have a lot of homeless that rummage through the dumpster for recyclables (and they rip open nearly all the bags), I just hope no one tries to eat it.

I have a new freshly purchased pork shoulder on the grill again. I did my snake differently this time with the kingsford on the bottom in a neat little row and used the tiny mesquite chips across the top for the smokey flavor. I moved the grill down to the other end of the apartment row to where it's concrete to avoid the sprinklers.

zbarron

Speaking of Cubanos Serious Eats just posted a guide.

Glad to hear you have a backup pork butt. I hope this one goes better.

I bought some baby back ribs to smoke on the 4th but it's projected to rain all day. Is it even worth trying to smoke in the rain?

ColdPizza

Banned
Speaking of Cubanos Serious Eats just posted a guide.

Glad to hear you have a backup pork butt. I hope this one goes better.

I bought some baby back ribs to smoke on the 4th but it's projected to rain all day. Is it even worth trying to smoke in the rain?

It's fine so long as it's not pouring...you should be more worried about the wind that usually accompanies rain. Since you're on a kettle, just make sure the vent on the lid is on the opposite side of the coals.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just put on. Low and slow at 200. In theory my butt should never go above 200 internally. Red is due to the Achiote paste I made from anatto seeds. Will mop with a citrus mop (concentrated oj, cider vinegar, lime juice and oil)

tjhp8Wk.png

jchap

Just put on. Low and slow at 200. In theory my butt should never go above 200 internally. Red is due to the Achiote paste I made from anatto seeds. Will mop with a citrus mop (concentrated oj, cider vinegar, lime juice and oil)

tjhp8Wk.png

Just my opinion but 200 is too low. You won't render the fat. I think pork shoulders do best at about 275 and it will still take 8-10 hours to reach target temps.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just my opinion but 200 is too low. You won't render the fat. I think pork shoulders do best at about 275 and it will still take 8-10 hours to reach target temps.

This is less than 4 pounds sliced in half length wise, so two 2lb pieces. They'll be foil wrapped later too. The fat will render.

No way that's taking 8-10 hours.

Btw Dinosaur BBQ does their shoulders at 185, but for 18 hours. They put out some of the best pulled pork I've ever had.

zbarron

The fat will render. Fat renders just fine at 140 degrees. My only concerns with 200 would be if you had a large piece of meat the center Reaching a safe temperature in time and lack of bark since the malliard reaction doesn't really take place well at such a low temperature. Considering you are using small pieces and mopping neither seem to be a concern to you so I look forward to results.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm not expecting much in the way of bark considering the size and time and it was a paste I used instead of a dry rub. Though the sugar content of the mop may give it a nice glaze.

Btw the recipe called for 200-220 so I'm following their instructions exactly.

ColdPizza

Banned
My mini pork shoulders are already at 150 after 2 hours. Slight bark starting to form. Hopefully these taste awesome with all the sweetness and acid in the mop and the sauces.

ColdPizza

Banned
Adapting. Just upped the smoker to 220. Abandoning the mop. Making the cooking process fall too far behind. Stalling at 153. Going to wrap between 165-170

JaY P.

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my weekend experiment. This is my first pork butt that is about 8 lbs. I'm following Meathead Godwin's recipe in which I dry brined it for 12 hours, applied the rub on about an hour before putting it in the smoker, and cooking between 225 - 240. Hopefully all goes well in about 10 hours or so and I'll post results regardless of outcome.

My first Pork Butt
WFk8cs8.jpg

Holding Temp
7OWT5AT.jpg

Jesus all of this looks delicious. I think we are alright at BBQing but I'm gonna throw out this broken down grill and I'm going to order my Webber sometime this week and my friends/family gonna step up our BBQ game up big time. Thanks a lot guys/gals!

New question here, aluminum on the grill or no? We always put aluminum but I never see that anywhere else. So what say you guys?

Can't wait to see what else you guys have in store!

ColdPizza

Banned
Jesus all of this looks delicious. I think we are alright at BBQing but I'm gonna throw out this broken down grill and I'm going to order my Webber sometime this week and my friends/family gonna step up our BBQ game up big time. Thanks a lot guys/gals! New question here, aluminum on the grill or no? We always put aluminum but I never see that anywhere else. So what say you guys?

Can't wait to see what else you guys have in store.

I feel aluminum blocks heat and airflow. I only use it for stuff that may fall apart like vegetables or flaky fish.

Eilt

Neo Member
The chicken is done! Probably my best yet - started the temp a little higher to sear the skin and keep it from getting rubbery. Used a mix of whiskey and hickory chips and honey bbq rub.

image_zpscp60wndw.jpeg

Waiting on the brisket to hit temp now, just hit it with the last spray of apple jack (Snapple apple and Jack Daniels mixed) - don't do a ton of brisket so hoping for the best!

JaY P.

What's the best small (somewhat portable) grill?

For charcoal I would not buy anything other than a Webber. I made the mistake of buying a non Webber grill to save monies and never again! The Smokey joe is a small 14" grill that is portable. If you want something bigger get a 18" Webber kettle. Both can be had for less than $100.

For portable gas / propane I had a Webber q that served me well in my last apartment. That one cost me around $200.

Maybe others here will have better suggestions.

JaY P.

The chicken is done! Probably my best yet - started the temp a little higher to sear the skin and keep it from getting rubbery. Used a mix of whiskey and hickory chips and honey bbq rub.

image_zpscp60wndw.jpeg

Waiting on the brisket to hit temp now, just hit it with the last spray of apple jack (Snapple apple and Jack Daniels mixed) - don't do a ton of brisket so hoping for the best!

That looks tasty. What temp did you cook at? I mostly do my chicken at 375 to render out the fat and get crispy skin. However, use more smoke since it only cooks for about an hour - hour and a half.

Eilt

Neo Member
That looks tasty. What temp did you cook at? I mostly do my chicken at 375 to render out the fat and get crispy skin. However, use more smoke since it only cooks for about an hour - hour and a half.

I started it for the sear just over 300 and set it closest to the side fire box where the heat is emanating from. Let it smoke for about 2 hours around 225 afterward but kept it a little closer to the fire source than I normally do.

Forgot to take a carving shot of the brisket - here are a few scraps that were left.

image_zpsoz7ithqk.jpeg

Got my brisket from Costco, rubbed it today to set overnight in the fridge. Made sure the Heatermeter I built is connecting to the wifi at home properly (along with public viewable URL!). Got a fresh bag of BGE lump in the truck.

I'm ready for this.

Tomorrow...

Top Bottom