• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

I'm smoking some ribs right now using that Royal Oak lump. It's been going almost six and a half hours and is at 174*F. It's been unwrapped this whole time. Does this seem unusually long? They are St. Louis cut and a little over three pounds. I don't do this cut often and it's my first time with lump, plus I left the house for about 45 minutes during it so there are too many variables to pinpoint what's going on.

Edit: They were previously frozen but fully thawed if that matters.

What's temp is your smoker at? Seems long but several variables could come in to play. I usually don't even track rib temps though. Just do the bend test and they'll let you know when they're done.

Currently have some beef ribs on. First time doing them and hoping they come out well.

I bought half a wild fresh king salmon. She's wrapped in plastic wrap with a dry rub of white and brown sugars, salt and pepper. I'll pull her out tomorrow , rinse and put on a wire rack/baking tray and refrigerate to build up the pelicle for another 24 hours before she gets smoked with pecan wood. Nom nom nom.

zbarron

I bought the iGrill2, it seemed like a better deal.
Nice that's what I'm using.

From the app:
29401370771_53c6399771_b.jpg

This is my ribs internal temp. As you can see it dipped three times.
What's temp is your smoker at? Seems long but several variables could come in to play. I usually don't even track rib temps though. Just do the bend test and they'll let you know when they're done.

Currently have some beef ribs on. First time doing them and hoping they come out well.
225-250 on average. They bent to close to straight down but never any deep cracks. Also when I put on my nitrile gloves and tried to tear two bones apart there was a decent amount of resistance, making me think they weren't ready. They just hit 180 so I sauced them on the indirect side and I'm going to have them rest in the smoker with the vents shut until dinner in an hour.

I bought half a wild fresh king salmon. She's wrapped in plastic wrap with a dry rub of white and brown sugars, salt and pepper. I'll pull her out tomorrow , rinse and put on a wire rack/baking tray and refrigerate to build up the pelicle for another 24 hours before she gets smoked with pecan wood. Nom nom nom.
I'm so jealous. I got a piece of Atlantic salmon for cheap and threw it on the grill once the coal were wearing down. I love it but it makes my stomach churn. The wild salmons have so much more oil and fatty goodness that makes it impossible for me to eat it anymore.

The funny part about that salmon:
I split it between my friend that was staying over and neighbor who had just gotten home from a date. Him amd his date went to Red Lobster and he ordered the salmon. They agreed to pay individually beforehand, but he got put on the spot by the waitress and instead of her speaking up, he just said he'd pay to not seem like a douche. He said it was the most dried out and horrible piece of fish and wound up paying $70 for a crappy meal. My fish peice was just five bucks, tender and juicy, and a nice hint of smoke flavor. Plus it fed three of us.
I told him next time just tell the girl he has a personal chef and come down to my place. I can feed him a feast for a whole lot cheaper.

zbarron

Well the ribs came out and they were perfect.
28862238253_3f0afc8429_b.jpg

The had a great smoke ring, very flavorful, and I was easily able to get clean bones, but they weren't fall off mushy.

29195551160_9c1ab72828_b.jpg

It was a good meal.

Happy Labor day.

Happy last day of the BBQ Season (lol).

The had a great smoke ring, very flavorful, and I was easily able to get clean bones, but they weren't fall off mushy.

It was a good meal.

Happy Labor day.

What a classic meal. Yummy.

zbarron

Nice rib glove.

Did you smoke those deviled eggs or the beans?

http://barbecuebible.com/2015/04/03/smoked-eggs-easter-passover/
That's not my arm. The ribs were just that beautiful.

No. I honestly never heard of smoked deviled eggs. The meal was a collaboration with me supplying ribs and slaw, and grandma making the beans and deviled eggs. I've learned to just let her do them how she likes. She makes really good beans and the deviled eggs are always tasty.

First time doing beef ribs. Wow. Basically brisket on a stick. So good. Was a little heavy on the rub, but can't complain for first attempt.
Those look amazing. How long did they take? I can't find that cut around me sadly.

ColdPizza

Banned
That's not my arm. The ribs were just that beautiful.

No. I honestly never heard of smoked deviled eggs. The meal was a collaboration with me supplying ribs and slaw, and grandma making the beans and deviled eggs. I've learned to just let her do them how she likes. She makes really good beans and the deviled eggs are always tasty.

Raichlin is crazy, he smokes ice cream for God's sake.

I guess the egg whites are just perfumed for 10-15 minutes instead of smoked, but it would be interesting to try.

I love smoking my beans with bacon on top and bbq rub sprinkled over that...the bacon gets nice and browned and the beans get a little smoked and thicken up nicely.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm smoking some ribs right now using that Royal Oak lump. It's been going almost six and a half hours and is at 174*F. It's been unwrapped this whole time. Does this seem unusually long? They are St. Louis cut and a little over three pounds. I don't do this cut often and it's my first time with lump, plus I left the house for about 45 minutes during it so there are too many variables to pinpoint what's going on.

Edit: They were previously frozen but fully thawed if that matters.

you shouldnt be probing ribs for temp. The bones can throw the temp readings off. You need to do the bend test and or the tooth pick test.

Does anyone have experience with smoker boxes? The kind you can put in your regular propane grill? I'm having trouble cooking low 200-250 F while still keeping my chips hot enough to smoke. They won't smoke unless I turn up my burner, but I'm at 300-350 F at that range. I've tried so many positions for my smoker box, on the grill, on the burner shield, vertical, sideways. Do I just need to let more heat out of the bbq enclosure? I don't want to loose too much smoke that way...

ColdPizza

Banned
Does anyone have experience with smoker boxes? The kind you can put in your regular propane grill? I'm having trouble cooking low 200-250 F while still keeping my chips hot enough to smoke. They won't smoke unless I turn up my burner, but I'm at 300-350 F at that range. I've tried so many positions for my smoker box, on the grill, on the burner shield, vertical, sideways. Do I just need to let more heat out of the bbq enclosure? I don't want to loose too much smoke that way...

No, this is just the reality of smoking on propane grills with a smoker box. You just can't get them to smolder enough.

You would be better off with something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

xcJFh88.png

You light smoke pellets in one end, and this lights the adjacent pellets over time in a snake formation so you get more consistent smoke.

No, this is just the reality of smoking on propane grills with a smoker box. You just can't get them to smolder enough.

You would be better off with something like this...

You light smoke pellets in one end, and this lights the adjacent pellets over time in a snake formation so you get more consistent smoke.

Bah well that's not really what I want to hear. I just got the smoker box.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So what's the best way to do buffalo wings?

I can only say the way I do them.

• Marinate the wings for your desired time, I usually do a few hours or over night.
  • Set your kettle to indirect heating
  • Put your wings on the side away from the heat source
  • Once the wings are cooked, dip them in wing sauce and return them to the grill, again away from the heat source.
  • Pull them off after the sauce is cooked on, if you like it like that
  • Eat
Obviously there is plenty of room for customization in there. Some people like to cook the wings, dip them in sauce and eat. Some like to dip in sauce and put them right on top of the heat source. It is completely up to you.

I can only say the way I do them.

• Marinate the wings for your desired time, I usually do a few hours or over night.
  • Set your kettle to indirect heating
  • Put your wings on the side away from the heat source
  • Once the wings are cooked, dip them in wing sauce and return them to the grill, again away from the heat source.
  • Pull them off after the sauce is cooked on, if you like it like that
  • Eat
Obviously there is plenty of room for customization in there. Some people like to cook the wings, dip them in sauce and eat. Some like to dip in sauce and put them right on top of the heat source. It is completely up to you.

Yeah I want to cook the sauce on. What temperature should I do them at?

Chicken, I tend to just go by look and feel. You can use a thermometer on the drummettes, wings are a bit harder. Once you get a feel for them, it gets easier. I usually cook them at least 20 mins on indirect heat.

I usually sauce them and return them to direct heat for a few more minutes. Then toss them back to indirect until all of them are done.

This is like a once a year meal. Some time ago I bought 2lbs of rack of lamb from a butcher shop. Well each rack of lamb was only about one pound each (I was assuming one rack would've been 2). Well one rack of lamb was enough for our special dinner, and I've been waiting for the perfect time to make the second rack. Tonight fit that criteria.

Absinthe

Due to time I have been making ribs lately in my Sous vide machine and they turn out surprisingly well. Not as good as a traditional smoke, but more than enough to get my fix.

I do have a question on flavor and whether it's worth it to use a little liquid smoke or if there is something else I can throw in the bag before they get vac sealed?

Anyone here have experience with this?

ColdPizza

Banned
Due to time I have been making ribs lately in my Sous vide machine and they turn out surprisingly well. Not as good as a traditional smoke, but more than enough to get my fix.

I do have a question on flavor and whether it's worth it to use a little liquid smoke or if there is something else I can throw in the bag before they get vac sealed?

Anyone here have experience with this?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab.html

Step 4 said:
Place individual portions of rubbed ribs in vacuum bags. (Fold over the top of each bag while you add the ribs so that no rub or pork juices get on the edges of the bags, which can weaken the seal.) Add 4 drops (about 1/8 teaspoon) of liquid smoke to each bag. Seal the bags, transfer to refrigerator, and let rest for 4 to 12 hours.

It was a good meal.

Happy Labor day.

First time doing beef ribs. Wow. Basically brisket on a stick. So good. Was a little heavy on the rub, but can't complain for first attempt.

29483539745_99acbea10e_z.jpg

29403492761_89bfcc95ae_z.jpg

28865128933_ca89ed2430_z_d.jpg

28862809444_dbf0089e64_z_d.jpg

29378940992_e39a77d6fc_z_d.jpg

Damn all this looks so good. Smoking some more meat today three more racks of ribs. Trying to decide on which wood to use. Previously it's been a mixture of Apple and Hickory. Now I got some pecan wood to play with too. Anyone here got any side dish recipes that they cook on the smoker? I was thinking maybe some baked beans or something. Please share!

ColdPizza

Banned
marinating 2 7.5lb pork butts in a citrus/achiote paste for some smoked pork tacos on sunday for football day and my son's 1st bday...gonna have a taco bar

Chris R

So those beef ribs, do I just ask the butcher for "Beef Ribs"? Or is there something more specific I would need to ask for?

zbarron

Damn all this looks so good. Smoking some more meat today three more racks of ribs. Trying to decide on which wood to use. Previously it's been a mixture of Apple and Hickory. Now I got some pecan wood to play with too. Anyone here got any side dish recipes that they cook on the smoker? I was thinking maybe some baked beans or something. Please share!
Thanks. Pecans another good mild wood.

Beans is classic and goes right under the ribs.
No, but I'm sure it would turn out just fine.

Franklin does salt, pepper, and paprika.
That's what I was going to say.
Yes, I do that sometimes. Also Tony Chachere creole seasoning and a little bit of brown sugar works well too, that's what I use for pork most of the time.
Ooh. I've never thought of that. I just got some for jambalaya and used it to make Cajun fries to serve with grilled burgers.
marinating 2 7.5lb pork butts in a citrus/achiote paste for some smoked pork tacos on sunday for football day and my son's 1st bday...gonna have a taco bar
Can I come? Haha. That sounds so good.

But the butcher should know what I'm asking for if I say Plate Ribs? Just asking because I've never seen them in the display case.

They should. Ask for 3 bone plate ribs and they should be able to show you what they have (if they carry them). If you have a Restaurant Depot nearby, check them out. That's where I got mine. Paid $5.66/lb for them (split a 2pack with a friend).

zbarron

If you have a Restaurant Depot nearby, check them out.
I have one nearby but there website says this:
*Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.
It seems I wouldn't be able to shop there.

ColdPizza

Banned
Coals were fading at the 10 hour mark for my butts and rain just started moving in. I wanted to put them in an aluminum pan anyway with foil. Added and IPA and some OJ to the pans and will finish off real slow in the oven at 225.

Will let rest for 2-3 hours as well then pull. This is my first time making BBQ the day before a party. But this should really save me some time and stress tomorrow.

Couple way to get in - if you know anybody that has a tax exempt ID or join the KCBS ($35) or St. Louis BBQ Society ($25). Both offer one day passes to RD. Basically full membership since you can use it whenever you want. If you join either one just show your confirmation email when you go in if you do it right away and you don't have your card yet. They tend to be pretty laid back. You'll almost always find better meat prices there than anywhere else. Well worth it given the meat choices and everything else they carry.

ColdPizza

Banned
Butt 1
u6o2UAA.png

Butt 2
KZPSlNM.png

Had to tie up butt 2 because it was falling apart on me and I wanted it to cook more evenly.

Man, these just fell apart. Probably a little too much for my liking. I like to pull them into thumb sized chunks.

Mixed the juices and fat back into the meat and then bagged them for tomorrow to reheat for tacos.

Chris R

I've never thought to keep the juices....

well now I have something to try for my next butt

Ya, We don't have a RD here in Alaska, but my brother is a chef so we went into one in Colorado on vacation. So fucking awesome, we picked up a few things to buy (new knife and some other tools) but when we got to the cashier she told us about that and we just excused our way out of the building :(

I just put my pork shoulder on the grill for tonight. I forgot the one thing I wanted to do, put a drip pan underneath the meat. I don't have any pans that would work, and I forgot to buy a disposable one at the store. Go me.

I have a quart jar of my homemade bbq sauce (right down to making the tomato sauce for it), and I wanted a reason to use it up.

Those butts look tasty! Welp I finally did it,fucked up for the first time. I smoked two racks of ribs yesterday and it started raining a third of the way through so I was fighting the temps for the last 2/3's of the cook. I ended up taking them off at 5 1/2 hours thinking theyd be done as all my other cooks were perfect at 5-6 hrs. They werent done and the rain killed my fire so I figured id throw em in the over for another hour. They were more tender when i pulled em out so I start cutting them up. Grab a bone to taste em and immediately spit it out,I over salted the hell out of them...fuuuuuuck. Even BBQ sauce couldnt help. Problem was I ran out of rub (waiting for my boy to make some more) so I decided to make my own rub,shit didnt work. Anyways in the meantime I just made a batch of Meatheads Memphis dust to try on my cook for today. It smells to potent with the ginger n rosemary but I hope to god it tastes good. Cant afford to waste another 2 racks. Anyone else use his rub yet? I might try and throw some of that ruined rib meat in the beans Im smoking today,I dunno...

ColdPizza

Banned
Those butts look tasty! Welp I finally did it,fucked up for the first time. I smoked two racks of ribs yesterday and it started raining a third of the way through so I was fighting the temps for the last 2/3's of the cook. I ended up taking them off at 5 1/2 hours thinking theyd be done as all my other cooks were perfect at 5-6 hrs. They werent done and the rain killed my fire so I figured id throw em in the over for another hour. They were more tender when i pulled em out so I start cutting them up. Grab a bone to taste em and immediately spit it out,I over salted the hell out of them...fuuuuuuck. Even BBQ sauce couldnt help. Problem was I ran out of rub (waiting for my boy to make some more) so I decided to make my own rub,shit didnt work. Anyways in the meantime I just made a batch of Meatheads Memphis dust to try on my cook for today. It smells to potent with the ginger n rosemary but I hope to god it tastes good. Cant afford to waste another 2 racks. Anyone else use his rub yet? I might try and throw some of that ruined rib meat in the beans Im smoking today,I dunno...

In the same boat. Was planning on using that as well for the first time on guests from out of town.

Top Bottom