• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
not sure how you like but this is how my chickens typically turn out.

going above 325 i found i had foil the chicken to prevent the skin from turning black and disgusting.

Lenardo

Banned
for a brine for turkey i do a "light" cider salt brine

in 20 qt pot simmer for 5 minutes:
cup and a half kosher salt
1/4 cup whole all spice
8 bay leaves
qt apple cider

let cool
add in 3/4 gallon cider (making you use full gallon of cider)-stir

put turkey in pot, or conversely, put in :brine bag, trash bag, pail, whatever you use for brining, add brine, seal.
add in enough water to cover turkey- chill for 24hr in fridge, cooler, whatever, remove turkey, put on platter with paper towels, lets sit in fridge for ~8hr to drain excess.

Typically, i do this in the oven @350 until done (~4 hrs depending on size)since i didn't get the smoker until this year, i have yet to try smoking this recipe,

i use a apple cider glaze for basting..(2cups cider reduced to 1/4cup and a stick of unsalted butter)

Greenymac

Ok BBQ brethren, I guess Im gonna have to learn to post pics on GAF. For everyone smoking meats (especially turkeys) lets get some before and after shots. Gonna season my bird here soon with Brazilian Steakhouse seasoning and inject it with cajun flavor in prep for a smoke session tomorrow morning...

zbarron

Have any of you guys heard about the indoor smokeless grill? I'm planning to move to NYC and outside space to grill is very rare from what I've researched. One solution I can have for scratching my grilling urge is to buy this thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D6KCY4K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hopefully your oven will have a broiler in it. A broiler is essentially an upside down grill. You can adjust the heat by moving the grate closer and farther from the heat. If you really want grill marks, I'd suggest a cast iron grill pan, or a George Foreman if you want simple. George Forman even makes a model meant to imitate a grill
https://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GGR50B-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B00004W499/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1479834013&sr=1-13&keywords=george+foreman+grill

Honestly that seems pretty steep for what you're getting but if it makes you happy that's what counts. I'm also moving to an apartment so I know how it can be.

GiJoccin

I live in NYC, and I got lucky. I have a large outdoor space for my apartment size (easily 1/3 of my apartment is outside) without an apartment above me (so open skies). I'm not technically allowed to, but I have a gas grill and a weber smokey mountain (smoked a turkey 2 days ago, came out great!)

Hopefully your oven will have a broiler in it. A broiler is essentially an upside down grill. You can adjust the heat by moving the grate closer and farther from the heat. If you really want grill marks, I'd suggest a cast iron grill pan, or a George Foreman if you want simple. George Forman even makes a model meant to imitate a grill
https://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GGR50B-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B00004W499/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1479834013&sr=1-13&keywords=george+foreman+grill

Honestly that seems pretty steep for what you're getting but if it makes you happy that's what counts. I'm also moving to an apartment so I know how it can be.

Does the cast iron grill work on electric stovetops? Thanks for linking other options

zbarron

Does the cast iron grill work on electric stovetops? Thanks for linking other options
It depends. If you have a flat top it won't work at all. If you have coil burners it will work but admittedly not very well. Cast Iron is a very poor conductor of heat so it'll be hot right over the burners but not so much between. Since moving to a place with electric burners I moved my grill pan to the gas grill upside down to the griddle side. It also works in the oven where you can preheat it and get it nice and hot, then turn on the broiler and have heat coming from both sides.

It depends. If you have a flat top it won't work at all. If you have coil burners it will work but admittedly not very well. Cast Iron is a very poor conductor of heat so it'll be hot right over the burners but not so much between. Since moving to a place with electric burners I moved my grill pan to the gas grill upside down to the griddle side. It also works in the oven where you can preheat it and get it nice and hot, then turn on the broiler and have heat coming from both sides.

Most of the places I'm looking at are all flat top. So it sounds like the best idea for me is to consider the George grill or the indoor philips smokeless one. Granted if I were to get the philip one I would probably use it every week

I live in NYC, and I got lucky. I have a large outdoor space for my apartment size (easily 1/3 of my apartment is outside) without an apartment above me (so open skies). I'm not technically allowed to, but I have a gas grill and a weber smokey mountain (smoked a turkey 2 days ago, came out great!)

Ha sounds like you have a gem.

I'm looking up newer apartment complexes in Morningside for the first two years then if I stayed in the area longer I would want to head to lower Manhattan. Hopefully there are gems like the one you have. Open skies and grilling in NYC sounds amazing.

i'm glad I've always had access to a yard area in the apartments I've lived in.

I just bought a 22lb turkey today, 9lb ham to smoke, and a brine kit. I do Thanksgiving on Saturday so I'll take it out of the fridge on thursday to keep defrosting and put it in the brine at night.

ag-my001

Turkey on the smoker and I feel like I've misjudged. I've done two smoked turkeys before, and one took 2.5 hours, the other 4. Both at 350, so that was weird. Started early in case of a long cook (same brand and size as the 4 hour cook), but set the grill at 300 so it would take longer if it was like the first cook.

Two hours on, it's already at 135 internal, and turkey isn't exactly known for a stall. Time to clear out the bottom oven to hold it warm: dinner is in three hours.

Still, it smells amazing.

phanphare

Banned
turkey turned out great. no pics unfortunately but I did a whole turkey with locally seasoned peach wood. gonna go into a coma now.

mcfrank

zEvJ6Tn.jpg

There is only so much turkey a man can take before he needs a brisket. I'll be back in 11-12 hours with finished pics.

I'm disappointed. The weather is not my friend today and that means I have to cook everything inside. At least my neighbor is letting me use his oven too.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
think I'm just going to buy a Backyard Jambo soon. Will post pictures.

For someone that cannot access an outdoor area for grilling, is it possible to make good brisket?

I just assumed you always needed a large smoker or something that has to be outdoors.

Are there indoor smokers that won't set off alarms or other techniques?

ag-my001

For someone that cannot access an outdoor area for grilling, is it possible to make good brisket?

I just assumed you always needed a large smoker or something that has to be outdoors.

You might miss out on some smoke flavor, but an oven set to 225 will still get all the tenderness of a smoker. Maybe more, as it's definitely under control.

forms

So, being in the unfortunate situation of doing some keto, does anyone know any (decent) resources with appropriate recepies?

Bye bye, my favorite rubs, baked beans and home made bbq glazes and sauces.

....or?

zbarron

You could do it Jewish style. I was raised on it and while it's a different flavor than smoked brisket it's good.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/jewish-braised-brisket-recipe.html

You could also soud vide it.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html
I've sous vide BBQ Ribs to good results.

You might miss out on some smoke flavor, but an oven set to 225 will still get all the tenderness of a smoker. Maybe more, as it's definitely under control.
This is also an option and you can add some liquid smoke to make up for the lack of smoke flavor. I will say though ovens vary in temperature too. I tested mine with my probe thermometer and when set to 250 it goes to ~275 and then slowly drops to ~225 and then goes back up. I get a more stable temperature in my smoker. This option sure is easier though.
So, being in the unfortunate situation of doing some keto, does anyone know any (decent) resources with appropriate recepies?

....or?
I've done Keto while BBQing. It's not as bad as you think. I mean yeah you're going to have to skip the sauce, go with a vinegar based one, or buy a specific low carb one. I've tried making one with sugar free ketchup and stevia in place of ketchup and sugar, but to be honest I wasn't happy with it. Maybe you could do better.

The meat is fine and actually ideal since a lot of BBQ meats are high in fat like pulled pork, I wouldn't worry too much about the rub. It should only be a couple grams of carbs. As Meathead points out:
About the sugar. I encourage readers to experiment with recipes, and "no rules in the bedroom or dining room" is my motto, but I have gotten some emails that require a response. I appreciate that many of you feel the need to reduce sugar in your diets but sugar is in the recipe for more than flavor enhancement, it helps form the crust (called bark by the pros), an important part of the texture of the surface of ribs and smoke roasted pork. It mixes with the moisture and caramelizes making special unique flavors.
There are only about 2 tablespoons of rub on a large slab. Of that about 1 tablespoon is sugar. Some of it falls and drips off during cooking. If you eat half a slab, you're eating about 1 teaspoon of sugar. The glycemic load (GL) is about 3. Compare that with a slice of white bread with a GL of 10.
And for those of you who object to white sugar for non-dietary reasons, and use brown sugar instead, you need to know brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added. It is not unrefined sugar. I use brown sugar for the flavor and white sugar because it improves the bark.
If you want to cut back on carbs, leave off the sweet barbecue sauce. It has a lot more sugar. Switch to a Lexington sauce which is mostly vinegar, or just eat the pork with rub and no sauce. It's mighty good that way.
Bottom line: This recipe is a very successful rub from a taste and chemistry standpoint. I urge you to make it as specified the first time.
1tsp sugar has 4.2 carbs, and I usually split a rack 4 ways which makes the ribs I ate 2-3 carbs. Bigger chunks of meat will have a better meat to rub ratio and are even better.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Got a 15lb brisket and some baked beans on the smoker for Christmas dinner tomorrow

I'm wearing shorts and the AC is running on christmas eve

Christmas in south Texas!

Chris R

....or?

I'm starting Keto up again, never had an issue with BBQing.

My favorite rub has zero sugar, and when cooked right, good meat doesn't need a sauce :D BBQ beans being out does suck but whatever.

I'm late as fuck with this but:

(Belated) Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah guys

Did my first smoke in below zero degrees - god damn it took for ever to get the internal temperature where it needed to be but once it was there I maintained.

12 hours of good old fashioned smoking - it was paid back with egg nog, mistletoe kisses and a hefty slab of sirloin

mcfrank

Who is smoking for New Years? I am smoking 51.5lbs of meat including brisket,ribs, pulled pork, hot links, chicken, and salmon. Pics to come soon.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Who is smoking for New Years? I am smoking 51.5lbs of meat including brisket,ribs, pulled pork, hot links, chicken, and salmon. Pics to come soon.

I did a 15lb brisket for xmas. Cooked it a little too long and it didn't slice well, but still tender and juicy with a nice bark. I also did baked beans from scratch that turned out amazing, smoked those for about 3 hours. No pics though

zbarron

It's funny we all wanted to smoke at the same time. I have a 10.5lb pork butt on the smoker now. The meat's been on since about 10:00 and is now 130*. I've been cooking it at ~250*. I can't decide if I'm going to crutch it or not. I'll see what time it hits the stall and decide if I want it ready for dinner.

zbarron

It took 12 hours and truth be told it was a little underdone. I should have given it another hour or let it rest longer but I was ready to go to sleep.

32010032836_b7efd3d2f1_h.jpg

Not the prettiest butt, though I got some good bark on it.

Dan-o

I'm about to buy a charcoal smoker. A highly-recommended one.

Any tips for a first-timer?
What are the chances of totally botching my first cook?
Yes, I already know I need to do a dry cook first to break it in. I've never worked with charcoal before, but I've watched enough videos to hopefully not fuck it all up.

What was your first cook? How'd it go?

Teach me, GAF. Teach me to make delicious foodstuffs for my family.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm about to buy a charcoal smoker. A highly-recommended one.

Any tips for a first-timer?
What are the chances of totally botching my first cook?
Yes, I already know I need to do a dry cook first to break it in. I've never worked with charcoal before, but I've watched enough videos to hopefully not fuck it all up.

What was your first cook? How'd it go?

Teach me, GAF. Teach me to make delicious foodstuffs for my family.

I'd probably recommend a WSM if you're going that route. If you do a chicken or a pork shoulder as your first cook, chances are it will come out fine and you'll be hooked on smoking. Plenty of online guides that will walk you through each step.

My first cook was pulled pork and I loved it.

Nothing can go wrong. Just fill your charcoal properly. Add a temp gauge for extra assurance. And enjoy after a long day of doing nothing. All the work is in the prep. Nothin to worry about after that.

Some guy at the flea market was selling a pellet smoker for like $250 (nearly new but not quite). I sooo wanted it.

GiJoccin

Nothing can go wrong. Just fill your charcoal properly. Add a temp gauge for extra assurance. And enjoy after a long day of doing nothing. All the work is in the prep. Nothin to worry about after that.

I've had some issues with filling my charcoal correctly. Once in a while I think I've put too much in. How much coal should I be putting into my 18.5 WSM? one and a half lighter cans seems like the sweet spot, two full ones and i don't think i get good enough airflow to keep the fire stoked

I've had some issues with filling my charcoal correctly. Once in a while I think I've put too much in. How much coal should I be putting into my 18.5 WSM? one and a half lighter cans seems like the sweet spot, two full ones and i don't think i get good enough airflow to keep the fire stoked

Not sure about WSM. I smoke on my weber grill with the snake method.

ColdPizza

Banned

You can pretty much go to the top of the charcoal ring.

Top Bottom