• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Just wanted to give all you charcoal users a heads up. Home Depot has their annual charcoal sale going on right now. You can get 2 18lbs bags for $10. Owning both a kettle and smoker mountain I had to get myself 6 packs. This typically lasts me the entire year.

Wimp. I still have like 3 twin packs from the end of the year sale back in Nov. I've already used one pack. I have a small storage closet for my tables and charcoal, so I love stocking up when they go on sale.

Drek

Now on my way to Nashville, followed by KC and STL.
Where you planning to go in KC and STL? I lived in St. Louis for almost a decade and a fellow Q enthusiast and I spent three months (nearly four) pulling 16 hour days 7 days a week in KC with our one salvation being BBQ joints. My suggestions would be as follows:

En Route: If you come up IL-3 the slight detour to Murphysboro, IL and 17th Street Barbecue is worth it. Mike Mills hasn't been at the forefront in a while but their meat still holds up well today and it's an interesting as kind of a border fusion between Memphis and STL styles.

St. Louis: My #1 was always Bogarts, followed by Pappy's. I'd imagine these are both already on your list as they're the STL BBQ kings without real contest. They're both excellent, can't speak highly enough about them.

KC: Kansas City Joes (previously Oklahoma Joes) is my hands down favorite, liked it much more than Arthur Bryant's, and Gates' which I felt were very overrated. Jack Stack is ok, I'd probably take it over the previous two but to me comes nowhere close to Joes. If you're feeling brave LC's has the best burnt ends I've ever had, just as a warning though when I used to go there you'd occasionally find that the scrap yard nearby (if it's still there) would have forgotten to lock their gates and their big ass rottweiler liked to greet strangers with a growl.

zbarron

Anyone have any fav brisket rubs,homemade or store bought? Also any tips for smoking em?Smoking my first brisket soon..
Franklin's Evlolving Rub

I'm using the pork butt rub from the same video on a butt I have in the smoker now. I'm cooking it at 225 so I'll post results in a week once it's finished cooking.
Just wanted to give all you charcoal users a heads up. Home Depot has their annual charcoal sale going on right now. You can get 2 18lbs bags for $10. Owning both a kettle and smoker mountain I had to get myself 6 packs. This typically lasts me the entire year.
I saw this on Slickdeals. They also have a 50-Qt cooler on sale I'm thinking of jumping on for resting meat.

Anyone have any fav brisket rubs,homemade or store bought? Also any tips for smoking em?Smoking my first brisket soon..

If you don't go w/ just S&P, Meat Church Holy Cow is awesome on beef. Used it on beef ribs and it was great. Love all their rubs.

https://www.meatchurch.com/collections/bbq-rub/products/holy-cow-meat-rub

Those ribs:
29483539745_99acbea10e_z.jpg

29378940992_e39a77d6fc_z.jpg

Probably not the best place to ask but tonight I'm cooking steak on the stove/oven tonight. It's about a 3/4 inch tbone steak and I want to know what is the perfect time to sear it on the pan and then the perfect time to put it in the oven. I like my steaks medium(tried medium rare and it was just...no) but I do like medium because I still want some pink in it. So what are you guys optimal time to achieve a medium steak?

zbarron

Probably not the best place to ask but tonight I'm cooking steak on the stove/oven tonight. It's about a 3/4 inch tbone steak and I want to know what is the perfect time to sear it on the pan and then the perfect time to put it in the oven. I like my steaks medium(tried medium rare and it was just...no) but I do like medium because I still want some pink in it. So what are you guys optimal time to achieve a medium steak?

This question might be better suited in IronGAF but no worries. I never do time. It's impossible to say not knowing how hot your pan, your oven and your meat is, and even if we had all that information it's still a guess. It's done when it's done, you know? Do you have a thermometer?

This question might be better suited in IronGAF but no worries. I never do time. It's impossible to say not knowing how hot your pan, your oven and your meat is, and even if we had all that information it's still a guess. It's done when it's done, you know? Do you have a thermometer?

Yeah I have a instant read thermometer

zbarron

Yeah I have a instant read thermometer
At that thickness it might be done after searing it. Once it's seared check it with the instant thermometer and account for about 5 degrees of carryover cooking. If it's 135-140*F you're done. If it's more then it's medium well or higher, and if it's less just throw it in the oven for how long you think it'd take to get it the rest of the way. Steaks aren't too tricky. You got this. Even a medium well steak isn't half bad. especially the strip half of your T-bone. The fat will render more and compensate for some of the moisture loss.

Just make sure you temp it in the center of each of the strip side and the filet side, and not close to the bone. The bone will give you an inaccurate reading if you probe too close to it.

Okay guys, I finally want to enter the world of BBQ and master rib tips and other various meats. My mom has a charcoal grill so if anyone have a YouTube video or any tips on how to get started, it will be greatly appreciated

Okay guys, I finally want to enter the world of BBQ and master rib tips and other various meats. My mom has a charcoal grill so if anyone have a YouTube video or any tips on how to get started, it will be greatly appreciated
Trial and error. Pork is pretty forgiving and fatty, plus it's cheap per pound. For starters, use pork chops, pork butts, and ribs to break into the groove. Learn your temps, meat placement, and how much charcoal you need.

Two zone grilling is essential, and one chimney of charcoal gives about an hour of cooking time.

ummm... how do i use this lmao?

EDIT: Nevermind, just remember I have youtube.

EDIT 2: Ok now I know how to start the fire, how should I season ribs? What rub should I use?

Chimneys are great, but I never use those starter cubes. I take a paper bag from the grocery store and cut off the top half. I use that strip to start the fire and the bottom portion as a trash bag.

I use Pappy's as my backup all around seasoning. Winco has a great selection of bulk seasonings for you to mix your own. There's a ton of different premade ones at the grocery store.

Ribs are a bit trickier to cook. You should probably save that for later. You also need to learn how to set the vents for optimal temps on a longer cook. Ribs aren't as forgiving as a pork butt because there is very little fat in comparison. Start by learning how to use two zone grilling for dinner meal. I also use my cast iron skillets for cooking veggies on the grill.

SaviourMK2

My father got this big smoker for Christmas and so far has only smoked Chicken and Corned Beef (I hate corned beef).

I'm dying for some Brisket (he makes dynamite brisket)

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
For fire starter cubes I use half an empty cardboard egg carton, filled with dryer lint, sawdust, or shredded paper, and then drizzle a few spoonfuls of used cooking oil over it. Once saturated they burn for close to 10 minutes. Half a carton will fit snug under a weber chimney starter.

ColdPizza

Banned
seems like alot of work. those weber cubes aren't all that pricey

$3.99 for 24

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Lighter-Cubes-24-Pack-7417/202843410?keyword=weber+cubes
But you have to use like 2-3 cubes for each light. That's like 8-12 burns for something that can be done for free with random scraps at home.

I like to buy egg flats and I use those as trivets for my cast irons. That way it doesn't get the table dirty or melt it from the heat. Never thought to use it as fuel starter.

If you use paper, you can also spray it down with some pam to make it burn hotter and get the charcoal lit faster. I start the chimney while I'm setting up, so the extra time doesn't bother me.

ColdPizza

Banned
But you have to use like 2-3 cubes for each light. That's like 8-12 burns for something that can be done for free with random scraps at home.

I like to buy egg flats and I use those as trivets for my cast irons. That way it doesn't get the table dirty or melt it from the heat. Never thought to use it as fuel starter.

If you use paper, you can also spray it down with some pam to make it burn hotter and get the charcoal lit faster. I start the chimney while I'm setting up, so the extra time doesn't bother me.

i only ever have to use one....

zbarron

I'd be interested in seeing that as well. I just bought 2x2-packs of Kingsford but if this stuff is decent and a reasonable price I'd buy it just for the weather proof bag. Charcoal seems to be more expensive around me than it was last year.

Edit: It's $20 for 20lbs. I just paid that for 74.4lbs. If the bag is reusable I might buy one to test it and to keep my charcoal in.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'd be interested in seeing that as well. I just bought 2x2-packs of Kingsford but if this stuff is decent and a reasonable price I'd buy it just for the weather proof bag. Charcoal seems to be more expensive around me than it was last year.

Edit: It's $20 for 20lbs. I just paid that for 74.4lbs. If the bag is reusable I might buy one to test it and to keep my charcoal in.

Get a Kingsford Kaddy.

ColdPizza

Banned

You just had to know they'd have the Weber markup on it.

I just use a handful of paper towels, no oil or anything. Works fine

Holy shit I've been looking for this thread!

Got in the mood to Bbq since the weather has been getting nicer.

I have a regular old charcoal grill, no chimney attachment. Is it recommended I use one? or does it just make lighting easier?

My main question was about using wood in a charcoal grill, any pointer or tips?

For reference I have something like This

Chris R

Going to start grilling soon again as I can now get to my storage shed without walking through a foot+ of snow, but the BBQ will have to wait until May I think, still below freezing when I'd start and I just haven't had good luck with BBQ in my weber when the ambient is below ~45F.

Thinking I might get a wireless thermo this year if I can find a deal on one, but it's really not that big of a problem after I switched to the snake method last year, makes BBQin so much easier.

Holy shit I've been looking for this thread!

Got in the mood to Bbq since the weather has been getting nicer.

I have a regular old charcoal grill, no chimney attachment. Is it recommended I use one? or does it just make lighting easier?

My main question was about using wood in a charcoal grill, any pointer or tips?

For reference I have something like This

Chimneys are great for evenly lighting the charcoal. If you use wood, use wood chunks, not chips, and space them out on top of the charcoal. For one chimney of charcoal, I'd use about two. For a snake to smoke, I use anout 5-6. The smoke ring forms within the first couple hours, so it's not essential towards the end of the smoke.

zbarron

Going to start grilling soon again as I can now get to my storage shed without walking through a foot+ of snow, but the BBQ will have to wait until May I think, still below freezing when I'd start and I just haven't had good luck with BBQ in my weber when the ambient is below ~45F.

Thinking I might get a wireless thermo this year if I can find a deal on one, but it's really not that big of a problem after I switched to the snake method last year, makes BBQin so much easier.
Have you considered the Slow N Sear? I was able to BBQ in January in Ohio with it.

Ah yes, BBQ season has begun - don't forget pics guys. I can't climax without pics

Don't tell us you smoked something, show us
I didn't take any pictures of my pulled pork and I don't think showing a ziploc bag full of frozen pork will help you achieve climax.

However I did grill last night:
33822587382_ed4ac472fa_b.jpg

Certified Angus Beef strip steaks seasoned with the same rub I used on my pork (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, mustard). The stuff in the mashed potatoes is what exited the steak as I rested it on a plate. No wasted flavor. It was like beef gravy but a much more intense flavor. I definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it before.

Nothing like an open flame to render fatty steaks.

Have you considered the Slow N Sear? I was able to BBQ in January in Ohio with it.

I didn't take any pictures of my pulled pork and I don't think showing a ziploc bag full of frozen pork will help you achieve climax.

However I did grill last night:
33822587382_ed4ac472fa_b.jpg

Certified Angus Beef strip steaks seasoned with the same rub I used on my pork (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, mustard). The stuff in the mashed potatoes is what exited the steak as I rested it on a plate. No wasted flavor. It was like beef gravy but a much more intense flavor. I definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it before.

Nothing like an open flame to render fatty steaks.

Chris R

It's a lot of $$$ for a piece of metal.

And it wouldn't help the fact that the shed I keep my grill in would be chest high in snow since the stuff in the parking lot where I grill is pushed out of the lot towards the sheds and trees around my apartment building.

I've bbqed on some pretty damn cold days in the winter just using the snake method in my weber kettle. You use a lot more briquettes and you have it opened up more than you would say in the middle of summer but it held its temp well.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
First smoke of the year bulgogi flavored ribs and pulled pork.

Start
bHICHM6.jpg

Midway
edKuHg6.jpg

Finish 12hrs later (ribs got eaten before i could snap a shot)

t4ia7wY.jpg

wp7nKfl.jpg

QBxRPfx.jpg

IS that in a kettle? Great work! I used to smoke in a kettle, then bought a WSM and totally lost my touch with it. I need to get back into it.

IS that in a kettle? Great work! I used to smoke in a kettle, then bought a WSM and totally lost my touch with it. I need to get back into it.

It looks like a Kettle with a Slow N Sear in it. How're you liking the set up LocknessMobster?

Thanks! Yep you guys are correct,webber kettle and SnS. Really digg this setup its almost foolproof. Only thing i wish is for more space for bigger cooks but eventually Ill be getting a WSM so all will be good. One thing i learned from this smoke is dont buy cheap charcoal! Sticking with Kingsford blue from now on,it burns slower and lasts way longer. Still wanna try the lump variety someday.

zbarron

Thanks! Yep you guys are correct,webber kettle and SnS. Really digg this setup its almost foolproof. Only thing i wish is for more space for bigger cooks but eventually Ill be getting a WSM so all will be good. One thing i learned from this smoke is dont buy cheap charcoal! Sticking with Kingsford blue from now on,it burns slower and lasts way longer. Still wanna try the lump variety someday.
There's better briquettes out there than Kingsford Blue, if you're interested, but KBB often has great sales. I tried lump before, even smoked with it. I wasn't a big fan and didn't feel it justified the price difference. Others feel differently. I'd try at least one bag to see what you think.

Have you tried using the lower rack? I personally haven't and I've heard there is a temperature difference between the upper and lower, but it's something I've been meaning to look into.

There's better briquettes out there than Kingsford Blue, if you're interested, but KBB often has great sales. I tried lump before, even smoked with it. I wasn't a big fan and didn't feel it justified the price difference. Others feel differently. I'd try at least one bag to see what you think.

Have you tried using the lower rack? I personally haven't and I've heard there is a temperature difference between the upper and lower, but it's something I've been meaning to look into.

As it stands Kingsford has been avaliable most anywhere and is priced pretty well and works excellent but if theres something better in the same price range id definately be interested. Ive only used the bottom rack for baked beans but thanks for the thought ill try that out next time!

Also anyone here used simpily marvelous rubs? Heard they are really good. Gonna try the $99 multi pack to test em out. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/simply-marvelous-rubs. Also i remember promising someone here some rub from my boy who makes it homemade,still waiting but I promise ill deliver when he finally comes through.

zbarron

So much this. Stubbs is the best briquette on the market.

Stubbs is good but I can't find it anywhere near me. I was using Royal Oak briquettes and loving them, but last summer I got a 2 pack for $7 and change, now they are $6 a bag, and the bags are smaller than the 18.6lb bags of Kingsford I got 2 for $10.

andycapps

I don't think I have a problem with Royal Oak or Kingsford blue. Whatever is cheapest between the two. Found them both to be pretty consistent. Though I typically just go with the blue because of how easy it is to find on sale.

Top Bottom