• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

TeddyBoy

I'll try and get a mix, thanks!

Thanks! I'd love just to do a hole out but my small disposable BBQ is nowhere near up to that task :p

BBQing I think?

I have this one.

Hmmm you might wanna get a couple of those honestly,i think youll need a bit more cooking area. Also youd be grilling with that as opposed to BBQin. Id go a mixture of chicken and beef kabobs,maybe some burgers or brats too. You could always throw some pork butt in a crockpot overnight and make BBQ pulled pork as well.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I smoked my first pork shoulder on my Weber kettle (using a Slow N Sear) on Sunday and it was perfection.

Throwing it on at 9:15 AM with a few chunks of cherry wood:
dOYa9n7.jpg

After six hours in the smoke:

After that I wrapped it up tight in foil and threw it in a 300 degree oven for another three hours because the internal temperature was not where I wanted it to be and I had people coming over. I foolishly neglected to take any additional pictures, but it had a lovely bark on it after the time in the oven, and it completely fell apart when I stuck a couple forks in to shred it. It was better than I possibly could have hoped. My birthday is this week, so I just treated myself to a two-channel thermometer with a remote display; going outside all the time to check on the grill temp was a pain in the neck.

jennetics

Good grief, I came into this thread out of curiosity and left feeling hungry and alone. No BBQ restaurants within sight near my work and I was feeling super bummed out! I was seriously itching for BBQ and then my work cafeteria announced they're having BBQ Brisket today for lunch!!

I know it'll be nowhere near as good as what you all have been feasting on, but man I'm glad they came through for me.

Love seeing these pictures! Please keep updating for fatties like me :)

zbarron

Awesome. I'm glad it turned out so well for you. How hard did you find getting your smoker to the temperature you wanted with the Slow N Sear? Nice thermometer by the way. I haven't tried it but Thermoworks makes amazing stuff.

Having BBQ finish when you want it to can be one of the hardest things. It definitely gets better with experience, you get a feel for it. It's always easier to try to have it finish hours before you want to eat it. You can then wrap it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler or often I'll keep it in the grill, shut all the vents and as the coals slowly cool it maintains temperature in there pretty well for about an hour.

TeddyBoy

Hmmm you might wanna get a couple of those honestly,i think youll need a bit more cooking area. Also youd be grilling with that as opposed to BBQin. Id go a mixture of chicken and beef kabobs,maybe some burgers or brats too. You could always throw some pork butt in a crockpot overnight and make BBQ pulled pork as well.

Cheers! Yeah I'll get another then and a mixture of meat like you say.

I can't do the crockpot stuff as I'll be doing heavy drinking the night before and people will be over.

hey send me some

If you live in the north west of England maybe :p

snacknuts

we all knew her
Awesome. I'm glad it turned out so well for you. How hard did you find getting your smoker to the temperature you wanted with the Slow N Sear? Nice thermometer by the way. I haven't tried it but Thermoworks makes amazing stuff.

I don't really have a point of comparison since this was only the second time I've ever smoked anything and the other time was just some chicken wings a few weeks ago, but it wasn't too terrible. The first couple hours I found myself fiddling with it kind of a lot to try to get it where I wanted it, but when more of the coals had caught (I used these instructions and getting the coals to catch is a very gradual process) I basically was able to leave everything untouched for 3½-4 hours and it stayed within a couple degrees of 230.

I smoked my first pork shoulder on my Weber kettle (using a Slow N Sear) on Sunday and it was perfection.

Throwing it on at 9:15 AM with a few chunks of cherry wood:

After six hours in the smoke:

After that I wrapped it up tight in foil and threw it in a 300 degree oven for another three hours because the internal temperature was not where I wanted it to be and I had people coming over. I foolishly neglected to take any additional pictures, but it had a lovely bark on it after the time in the oven, and it completely fell apart when I stuck a couple forks in to shred it. It was better than I possibly could have hoped. My birthday is this week, so I just treated myself to a two-channel thermometer with a remote display; going outside all the time to check on the grill temp was a pain in the neck.

Great job there!

Cheers! Yeah I'll get another then and a mixture of meat like you say.

I can't do the crockpot stuff as I'll be doing heavy drinking the night before and people will be over.

Kabobs,burgers and hot dogs will cook up fairly quick so you wont be stuck on the grill forever. If your doing chicken kabobs Id suggest marinating the chicken chunks in Italian salad dressing for a day if you can its really good! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ODTOC8/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Good luck and post pics if you can!

zbarron

NS loses because of vinegar based sauces and hush puppies. like really, who does hush puppies with bar b que? hush puppies are for fish fry's.
In theory I agree with you about the hush puppies but they're essentially deep fried mini corn bread balls. If corn bread muffins go with BBQ so do hush puppies.

phanphare

Banned
NS loses because of vinegar based sauces and hush puppies. like really, who does hush puppies with bar b que? hush puppies are for fish fry's.

them's fightin' words

also there is pulled pork shoulder + tomato based bbq in NC, that's western style. eastern style, the wildly superior style imo, is whole hog chopped with a pepper vinegar sauce.

zbarron

good for him i guess, but aren't the smokers he uses at his restaurant just offset stick burners?
Yeah. It seems in a large part you're paying for the name but there's the thickness of the steel, the quality of the welding, the design such as reverse flow, and the fact that it's 100% American made by skilled hands justifies the price at least for some.

Here is the Lang 60".
https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/lang60/lang60_original.html
If the quality is comparable then the price of fair.

Kumquat

For real now. I have been looking to get into doing some serious smoking but I really don't need a big rig. I'd like a good quality offset smoker I could do like 1 brisket or 1 pork butt, etc. Any recommendations?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
http://dining.blog.austin360.com/20...ell-franklin-barbecue-pits-for-at-home-cooks/
This just popped up in my news feed.

Sounds interesting but for the cost of two Big Green Egg XLs I'm out.

Sounds about right for a hand welded stick burner. Check out Gator Pits, they're based here in Houston, their basic pits run around $2K - $2500, but they will customize it however you want. Luckily I got mine built for free years ago at work. One of the perks of working for a pipeline distributor :)

zbarron

For real now. I have been looking to get into doing some serious smoking but I really don't need a big rig. I'd like a good quality offset smoker I could do like 1 brisket or 1 pork butt, etc. Any recommendations?
May I ask why you want an offset if you're only trying to do 1 brisket or 1 pork butt at a time? Not to dissuade you from them, but the good ones are much more expensive than a Weber Kettle with a Slow N Sear, a Weber Smokey Mountain, a Pit Barrel Cooker, or a PK Grill which are often recommended for their performance and price, but less their capacity.

Sounds about right for a hand welded stick burner. Check out Gator Pits, they're based here in Houston, their basic pits run around $2K - $2500, but they will customize it however you want. Luckily I got mine built for free years ago at work. One of the perks of working for a pipeline distributor :)

I hate you so much right now.

Kumquat

May I ask why you want an offset if you're only trying to do 1 brisket or 1 pork butt at a time? Not to dissuade you from them, but the good ones are much more expensive than a Weber Kettle with a Slow N Sear, a Weber Smokey Mountain, a Pit Barrel Cooker, or a PK Grill which are often recommended for their performance and price, but less their capacity.

I hate you so much right now.

Just going by what I have been told. I was recommended an offset. What would you suggest then for what I'm trying to do?

zbarron

Just going by what I have been told. I was recommended an offset. What would you suggest then for what I'm trying to do?

Like most people, I'm going to recommend what I own. I have a Weber 22" Premium and a Slow N Sear. If I could do it all again I'd probably spend the $25 more and get the Slow N Sear Plus. This is the set up many in here have, some by my recommendation and we all seem to like it. It's nice that it's a great smoker and a great grill and doesn't take up much room.

As I said in my last post I've heard nothing but good things about the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, the Pit Barrel Cooker, and the PK grill. All of these are Gold Medal winners at Amazingribs.com and have been tried and tested long enough to know they are good.

Of the bunch the PK grill is definitely more of a grill than a smoker. The Smokey Mountain and Pit Barrel Cooker are more Smokers than grills while the Slow N Sear is half & half.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I would not bother with a stick burner unless the steel is AT MINIMUM 3/16" thick (mine is 3/8"). Most of the prefabbed stuff do not insulate and retain heat well, and you really have to babysit the fire. You can still get great BBQ, however, mcfrank I believe is a poster here who produces consistently great BBQ on a cheap stick burner. Personally I prefer the bark you get from an all wood smoke so I use mine unless I am just wanting to do a rack of ribs, then I use my Kettle grill.

The Weber Kettle I think will surprise you in how well it does BBQ even without having to buy the slow n' sear or other 3rd party BBQ gadgets designed for it (google snake method or minion method), I was certainly surprised when I first tried. And with the kettle you can use it for grilling or turn it into a pizza oven like I did. You will get the most bang for your buck with the Kettle.

Electric and pellet smokers I am pretty meh on. I don't like the bark they produce, at least from my experience. And pellets aren't as easy to get as charcoal or wood.

ReAxion

I use a Traeger. It's super easy mode bbq. I wouldn't recommend it if you wanna get really serious about bbq tho. Like, I've never had to manage fire/temperature very much and because of that, I don't really know how. I'm sure I'll learn one day, but I'm okay being a filthy casual for now.

BBQing I think?

I have this one.
Your fire will burn really hot and without additional spacing between the coals and food, you're likely to burn your food easily. I'd suggest removing half the coals before starting and adding them as you need them. You're also limited in cooking because you don't have a lid to trap the heat. You're plain old grilling. I'd stick with party wings, saugages, kebabs and hamburgers.

Seriously though, you should probably just look up craigsist to see if some one has an old grill for cheap (charcoal of course). Those things don't die easily. I found out the grill I got a few years ago from my boyfriend's mom was actually made in the 60's and 70's. She got it some years before from another family member. Now I use it all the time.

You could also get a mini joe weber grill. Those things are only like $30. It'll give you a decent cooking area, but small enough for meals for 1-2 people.

Those coals are probably soaked in lighter fuid. Make sure you burn them for at least 15 mins before adding food or it will taste nasty.

I started with a Landmann's propane smoker, which I haven't touched in years. It worked well as a starter.

Then I bought a GMG Pellet smoker. I order the pellets from Amazon, buy about 220-260lbs every year. There is now a WiFi model, that I can connect from pretty much anywhere and adjust the temp or check the food temp. Really easy to use, been happy with it. I have a thermal blanket so I can use during the winter.

About a month ago, received my Lang 48" Deluxe Patio. It's 1/4" steel, it's like a tank. Delivery to Michigan wasn't cheap. Smoked twice on it so far. Still getting use to having to put wood on it every 45 mins or so; no more running to the store while smoking. Enjoying the food results on the Lang over the GMG, the bark is better.

So what is your price point? Do you think you would only smoke 1 brisket or 1 pork butt at a time? I was always running out of room in my GMG. Would also say go to Youtube and see reviews and how they manage the smokers you are looking it.

ColdPizza

Banned
Damn dudes, bought some ribs to smoke today. Then unwrapped my smoker from a long winter. Looks like my cooking grates rusted over after 7 years.

Ordered some replacement grates because there's none easily available locally for my 18.5"...sucks.

Serves me right for not taking better care of them and bringing them in in the winter.

Going to use this opportunity to order the cajun bandit steel door with with latch.

Damn dudes, bought some ribs to smoke today. Then unwrapped my smoker from a long winter. Looks like my cooking grates rusted over after 7 years.

Ordered some replacement grates because there's none easily available locally for my 18.5"...sucks.

Serves me right for not taking better care of them and bringing them in in the winter.

Going to use this opportunity to order the cajun bandit steel door with with latch.
Are they just metal grates? Scrub it down with aluminum foil balls. Then light a fire on it to get any residual stuff and scrub it down with a brush. My grates are ages old. I just treat it like cast iron and keep them seasoned with use. The grill is like 50 years old and the grates were never properly cared for. Might take a couple of hours, but your grayes shoukd be usable for ribs today.

ColdPizza

Banned
Are they just metal grates? Scrub it down with aluminum foil balls. Then light a fire on it to get any residual stuff and scrub it down with a brush. My grates are ages old. I just treat it like cast iron and keep them seasoned with use. The grill is like 50 years old and the grates were never properly cared for. Might take a couple of hours, but your grayes shoukd be usable for ribs today.

I'll give it a shot.

edit: used heavy duty foil. got a lot of it off but there's still some on the main part. there seems to be some other methods including salt and vinegar as well as baking soda then firing up the grill.

zbarron

So this is how it looks after the foil. Gonna try a paste of baking soda and white vinegar before I throw in the towel.
I'm not seeing a photo.

I replaced my cooking grate this past spring. It's only $20 and spending $20 a year is worth it for me with how much grilling and smoking I do. Weber grates are cheap and not even stainless steel, but they're cheap to replace. I forget what kind of smoker you use.

I've thought about getting new grates because they have the sides to lift up for adding charcoal, but I don't want them to be all clean and my food sticking to it. A good heat under it will do wonders for cleaning up any remaining stuff. Then either use lard or bacon fat to wipe it down and let it bake for 30 minute or more before using it.

One of these days I should do the same. The edges are kinda hard to clean because the scrapper at the end of the brush hits the kettle bowl.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm not seeing a photo.

I replaced my cooking grate this past spring. It's only $20 and spending $20 a year is worth it for me with how much grilling and smoking I do. Weber grates are cheap and not even stainless steel, but they're cheap to replace. I forget what kind of smoker you use.

Yah cuz I got drunk and forgot. Lol

Edited my post.

Drove by my local Home Depot. 63 pallets of charcoal sitting out front. It's a wall 7 wide, 3 high, and 3 deep. I didn't even go inside but they usually have about 5 pallets in the main front aisle plus more in the grilling aisle.

Who even buys charcoal at full price?

JaY P.

Drove by my local Home Depot. 63 pallets of charcoal sitting out front. It's a wall 7 wide, 3 high, and 3 deep. I didn't even go inside but they usually have about 5 pallets in the main front aisle plus more in the grilling aisle.

Who even buys charcoal at full price?

Memorial Day weekend sale perhaps? Spring Black Friday and Memorial Day are the times to buy charcoal. I got myself 6 packs when they went on sale last month. That should last me the whole year even if I give some bags away.

ColdPizza showed a picture on the previous page his HD's stash for Memorial Day sale. I was just giving a comparrison. I can go through 6 packs in no time during the summer. I get about 3 or 4 grill nights per bag. And I usually grill about 3 nights a week. My apartment is just too hot to do any cooking inside. I have a small storage cabinet that I can store about 7 packs, plus I keep a wood charcoal bag handy for smokin meats. There's a couple grocery stores that do a rotation of putting charcoal on sale. Some even run coupons with it, but a 2 per customer cap. So we go back like every night to get another two packs.

ColdPizza

Banned
Alright, so something weird is going on with my stuff. Since my WSM is out of commission with rusty grates I decided to open up my Kettle (2 years old) and same problem. Grates rusted. This never happened before. Ever.

I can only chalk it up to the mild winter here and above average damp spring. It must have created the perfect conditions to build up crazy rust. I'm just buying new grates for everything and deciding to:

1. Clean them more thoroughly between cooks and oil/season them
2. Store the grates indoors in the winter

I keep them outside because I don't have the room, but I'm looking to build a shed this summer for my house so I hope that alleviates this issue.

Lesson learned.

Top Bottom