• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

andycapps

Alright, so something weird is going on with my stuff. Since my WSM is out of commission with rusty grates I decided to open up my Kettle (2 years old) and same problem. Grates rusted. This never happened before. Ever.

I can only chalk it up to the mild winter here and above average damp spring. It must have created the perfect conditions to build up crazy rust. I'm just buying new grates for everything and deciding to:

1. Clean them more thoroughly between cooks and oil/season them
2. Store the grates indoors in the winter

I keep them outside because I don't have the room, but I'm looking to build a shed this summer for my house so I hope that alleviates this issue.

Lesson learned.

Do you keep the vents in your grill and smoker open? If not, I've heard that you should so that air isn't stagnant in there.

Though I think I normally keep my grates inside between cooks... I have a box of the stuff I need that I just bring out there.

Drove by my local Home Depot. 63 pallets of charcoal sitting out front. It's a wall 7 wide, 3 high, and 3 deep. I didn't even go inside but they usually have about 5 pallets in the main front aisle plus more in the grilling aisle.

Who even buys charcoal at full price?

Most people don't stock up on charcoal when it's on sale, they buy it the day before they plan on grilling.

ColdPizza

Banned
Do you keep the vents in your grill and smoker open? If not, I've heard that you should so that air isn't stagnant in there.

Though I think I normally keep my grates inside between cooks... I have a box of the stuff I need that I just bring out there.

I had them closed, which probably made for a bad humidifier in there. Even though I had them closed there was still a bunch of water in it, so I might as well keep them open, right?

Anyway, my water bowl was looking gnarly with a bunched of flaked soot and food build up, so just fucking around I doused the entire inside of it with light fluid and that that fucker up, and awesomely it burnt off all of the crap on the inside and i was able to use a wire brush and scraper to clean it off. Might try some fine grit sandpaper to get the rest of the crap out, but the bowl is looking 10x better than it did 10 minutes ago.

Pecan rub ribs,Cherry rub ribs and 12 chicken thighs smoking as we speak. Ive taking a liking to hickory/apple wood mix for the wood. Will post results

vsXgomjl.jpg

JaY P.

Alright, so something weird is going on with my stuff. Since my WSM is out of commission with rusty grates I decided to open up my Kettle (2 years old) and same problem. Grates rusted. This never happened before. Ever.

I can only chalk it up to the mild winter here and above average damp spring. It must have created the perfect conditions to build up crazy rust. I'm just buying new grates for everything and deciding to:

1. Clean them more thoroughly between cooks and oil/season them
2. Store the grates indoors in the winter

I keep them outside because I don't have the room, but I'm looking to build a shed this summer for my house so I hope that alleviates this issue.

Lesson learned.

I live about a block away from the beach and I've had my WSM and Kettle for a couple years and no issues yet. However, I clean my grates after cooking by opening vents, let it burn off for about 30 minutes and scrubbing the crap out of them. If I have to scrub them with a steel wool, I only use water and dry them off immediately. When cooled down, I just place a cover over my gear.

I use my kettle about once a week and my smoker about once a month. Usually more during the summer. I've heard of some people putting a coating of vegetable oil before storing their gear, but I haven't had to do that yet.

Weber grates are cheap, but I would hate having to buy them annually. Hope this helps.

zbarron

Just bought one of these.
Blackstone 17" Griddle

I know this is not BBQ by any means but this is also as close as we have to a grilling/outdoor cooking thread so it fits.

I still have to pick it up and season it but I'll give impressions when I can. Many years ago I worked in a sub shop making Philly Cheesesteaks on a large griddle and miss it. Those things are so nice. I was considering getting their 28" two burner model but can't see how it could stay outside without rusting and it says it's not safe for indoor use. This model I can just bring in when I'm done cooking.

ColdPizza

Banned
Got my replacement 18.5 WSM grates from grillparts.com. I'm back in business! I got a free Weber beer coozie with my order.

Still waiting on my new steel door with latch from Cajun bandit.

ColdPizza

Banned
Did kingsford lower the weight of the 2 packs? Could have sworn it was 20 pounds. Just got my stuff from Home Depot and they said 18.6

Chris R

Did kingsford lower the weight of the 2 packs? Could have sworn it was 20 pounds. Just got my stuff from Home Depot and they said 18.6

$9.99 for that pack right? Reminds me I should probably stock up with at least one pack since I want to be grilling/bbq a lot more this year.

It's been 18.6 for the past few years for me. I bought 6 packs at Lowes (yay for 5% off). I also bought a box of char-grill wood charcoal. It was clearanced for $10 a box. It says that the pieces are more evenly sized, which is the most the annoying part of the cheap stuff. They did have bags of Royal Oak on sale for like $4 a bag. I probably should've gotten a few, but I have no idea where I'd store it.

Alright guys, so Sunday, I'm going to finally bust out the smoker my wife bought me for Xmas. I finally unboxed it and put it together last night, and have been preparing for making some ribs in it.

So, as I have never done this before and am as novice as you can get, I have a few quick, maybe stupid, questions.

My smoker is an Electric Bullet Smoker by Masterbuilt. I know electric isn't as well liked as a charcoal or propane smoker, but I didn't pick it out, lol. So please keep that in mind as you answer. Also, yes, I intend to pre-season the smoker before I use it.

1. What ribs would be better to use? One place has spare ribs for $1.99 a pound, while another has babybacks for $2.99. Which style of ribs smokes better?

2. I'm only cooking for four people (and making some steak to go with it) so I'm only going to cook up two racks of ribs. Since the smoker has two racks, should I go both ribs on the bottom, both on top, or one on each?

3. I have a rub and a bbq sauce I plan to use (not mine, I figure I'm not advanced enough yet to start playing around with making my own), but some tutorials I see also recommend, 3 hours into smoking, to take the ribs off and wrap them in foil, also adding a "mop" of some kind like apple juice to add moisture and flavor. What is your take on this?

4. Also, some tutorials advice putting the sauce on for the last hour so it carmelizes. Again, your thoughts?

5. What are your thoughts on a good wood chips for a beginner? I'm probably going to pick up applewood, but what do you think?

zbarron

Alright guys, so Sunday, I'm going to finally bust out the smoker my wife bought me for Xmas. I finally unboxed it and put it together last night, and have been preparing for making some ribs in it.

So, as I have never done this before and am as novice as you can get, I have a few quick, maybe stupid, questions.

My smoker is an Electric Bullet Smoker by Masterbuilt. I know electric isn't as well liked as a charcoal or propane smoker, but I didn't pick it out, lol. So please keep that in mind as you answer. Also, yes, I intend to pre-season the smoker before I use it.

1. What ribs would be better to use? One place has spare ribs for $1.99 a pound, while another has babybacks for $2.99. Which style of ribs smokes better?

2. I'm only cooking for four people (and making some steak to go with it) so I'm only going to cook up two racks of ribs. Since the smoker has two racks, should I go both ribs on the bottom, both on top, or one on each?

3. I have a rub and a bbq sauce I plan to use (not mine, I figure I'm not advanced enough yet to start playing around with making my own), but some tutorials I see also recommend, 3 hours into smoking, to take the ribs off and wrap them in foil, also adding a "mop" of some kind like apple juice to add moisture and flavor. What is your take on this?

4. Also, some tutorials advice putting the sauce on for the last hour so it carmelizes. Again, your thoughts?

5. What are your thoughts on a good wood chips for a beginner? I'm probably going to pick up applewood, but what do you think?
1. Both are good. It's a mater of preference. Babyback's are leaner and take less time, St Louis/Spare Ribs have more fat and take more time.

2. I'm not familiar with that smoker, but it really shouldn't matter. If they both fit on one I'd do that just so there is less clean up.

3. 3-2-1 method give good results. Not competition winning but it's great for a beginner. If you do the baby racks change it to 2-2-1,as in 2 hours bare, 2 in foil, and 1 more bare.

4. Personal Preference. You could coat them in sauce for the last half hour or just leave them dry.

5. Apple is a good choice for a beginner. Great flavor that goes well with pork and it's mild so it's less likely to overpower the thin ribs.

BBQ sauce has a good amount of sugar in it from the tomatoes and added sugars. It burns easily, even at low temps, so if you actually want to taste sauce, it's best to put it on at the end. Or else it adds a crunchy bitter layer to the ribs. At least in my experience. You can even add it on while it's resting if you simmer the sauce. Adding it on before taking it off gives it that sticky candy consistancy.

Vinegar, cider, juice mixes help retain moisture to the outside. Foiling lets it steam in its own juices.

zbarron

I was doing some grocery shopping today and ran across a 12 lb Certified Angus Beef full packer brisket. After reading this article I had to jump on it. I trimmed it, seasoned with salt and pepper and am either going to cook it overnight or tomorrow. Wish me luck.

ColdPizza

Banned
I was doing some grocery shopping today and ran across a 12 lb Certified Angus Beef full packer brisket. After reading this article I had to jump on it. I trimmed it, seasoned with salt and pepper and am either going to cook it overnight or tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Aaron Franklin has a 3 or four part series on YouTube about trimming and smoking brisket. It's a good additional guide.

zbarron

Aaron Franklin has a 3 or four part series on YouTube about trimming and smoking brisket. It's a good additional guide.
I actually watched that before trimming it. Additionally I watched this. Even after all that research it still looks a little janky. This is my first time trimming a packer so it's all good. I got the fat cap 1/4" thin, trimmed off the dangly bits and rounded off the thin corners that'd burn. Unfortunately I may have trimmed too much of the fat between the flat and the point. My brisket's shape looks different than his finished product. It should still turn out alright.
Yay, my new steel door arrives for my WSM with compression latch.

The latch pulls the door tight against the smoker wall.
Looks good. Should make for a nice efficient smoke.

So I found an apple cider citrus brine, and I have a pork butt sitting in it now for the night. Tomorrow I'll get it on the smoker in the morning. I hope it turns out good. I plan on covering it in some of the peach or cherry seasoning that Lockness sent me.

ColdPizza

Banned
Thawing out the loinback ribs I bought for last weekends smoke. Weather looks like it will be good for a smoke today.

Will do those and some chicken sausage and smoked BBQ beans with bacon.

zbarron

34122347334_a5514c82e1_b.jpg

Almost 12 hours in and it's almost done.
Better view:
34122341494_de034ac027_b.jpg

The sharp downward spike about 5:00 am was when I wrapped it. The small upward one at the end there is the sun coming out and hitting the black grill.

After the first hour of adjustments I was able to keep it between 210-240*F 99% of the time. In that first hour no matter how I adjusted the top vent it wouldn't go under 250. I was considering just smoking it at 250, but figured out my problem was the lid wasn't fitting tightly. I added a binder clip and it was smooth sailing from there.

I didn't top off the charcoal once and haven't refilled the water reservoir. It rained last night so I figured there was enough humidity in the air. This was my first overnight smoke and this really proves my set up is capable of it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
34122347334_a5514c82e1_b.jpg

Almost 12 hours in and it's almost done.
Better view:
34122341494_de034ac027_b.jpg

The sharp downward spike about 5:00 am was when I wrapped it. The small upward one at the end there is the sun coming out and hitting the black grill.

After the first hour of adjustments I was able to keep it between 210-240*F 99% of the time. In that first hour no matter how I adjusted the top vent it wouldn't go under 250. I was considering just smoking it at 250, but figured out my problem was the lid wasn't fitting tightly. I added a binder clip and it was smooth sailing from there.

I didn't top off the charcoal once and haven't refilled the water reservoir. It rained last night so I figured there was enough humidity in the air. This was my first overnight smoke and this really proves my set up is capable of it.
take that brisket to 200 or 205 and thank me later.

jchap

I smoked a pork belly this weekend. Brisket has forever been my favorite BBQ meat but this thing gives it a run for the money. Very delicious and very bad for my body.

Finally tried the whole brisket from Costco yesterday. They used to only sell flats and at least here in Atlanta just recently started selling whole briskets. The price is right and it came out great! The only thing that was a good bit different from any other brisket I've tried is I pulled it at a good bit lower temperature than I usually do. It was 183 and I normally go up to 195 or so for the ones I've gotten from Walmart in the past. Probe went in like butter and twist test showed it was ready. It also took a really long time, 19+ hours for a 14lb one. The Costco one says it's Prime so I'm curious if any of that makes a difference.

Regardless, this is the best brisket I've made so I'll be sticking with Costco assuming they continue to stock whole briskets.

Good luck! Seems to be going great from your Igrill pics. Make sure to post some pics!

So I found an apple cider citrus brine, and I have a pork butt sitting in it now for the night. Tomorrow I'll get it on the smoker in the morning. I hope it turns out good. I plan on covering it in some of the peach or cherry seasoning that Lockness sent me.

Sounds like its gonna be tasty as hell,post pics!

Yay, my new steel door arrives for my WSM with compression latch. ]

Heard these were worth the upgrade,ill be looking into one soonish.

I smoked a pork belly this weekend. Brisket has forever been my favorite BBQ meat but this thing gives it a run for the money. Very delicious and very bad for my body.

Cant wait to try a pork belly smoke,they are so damn tasty.

Guys and gals Im having a tough time deciding on which WSM to get the 18.5 or 22.5. Its a gift from my job so price doesnt matter. My issue is if I go big will I even use it all that much? As of now I dont need that much cooking space,Ive managed to squeeze in most my cooks in the webber kettle and been okay with that. Also the 22.5 uses alot of charoal per cook. Advantages are it will fit most anything like full briskets, huge turkeys, multiple ribs can be layed out flat per grate, and Ill be able to handle just about any large cookout Ill ever have. The 18.5 can fit a huge amount of food as well,uses less charcoal,heat regulation is better supposedly,smaller footprint,easier to transport but packer briskets will have to be cut most likely,rib racks will need to be used for multiple racks. Anyone here have any of these and wanna share their thoughts?

Dan-o

Guys and gals Im having a tough time deciding on which WSM to get the 18.5 or 22.5. Its a gift from my job so price doesnt matter. My issue is if I go big will I even use it all that much? As of now I dont need that much cooking space,Ive managed to squeeze in most my cooks in the webber kettle and been okay with that. Also the 22.5 uses alot of charoal per cook. Advantages are it will fit most anything like full briskets, huge turkeys, multiple ribs can be layed out flat per grate, and Ill be able to handle just about any large cookout Ill ever have. The 18.5 can fit a huge amount of food as well,uses less charcoal,heat regulation is better supposedly,smaller footprint,easier to transport but packer briskets will have to be cut most likely,rib racks will need to be used for multiple racks. Anyone here have any of these and wanna share their thoughts?

It really is a tough choice! I have the 18.5
There are times where I wish I had went for the 22.5 instead... but that thing is a beast.

My thoughts on the 18.5:
- maintains temperature really well, but takes patience :)
- grills are easy to pull out and clean.
- water pan is kind of a pain to clean, though. If I remember, I try to wrap it in tinfoil.
- Great for pork butts
- Great for ribs. You can do two racks easily (one on each grill) or if you cut them in half, you can do 3 racks (with three 1/2 racks on each grill). If you buy steel rib rack holders, you can do a bunch more.
- Brisket... Yup... I bought a packer and had to split the point and the flat. Not a big deal, but extra work.
- the charcoal ring is a little small, honestly, but I packed it full for my brisket cook and it went 15 or 16 hours at 225F without needing a top-up. Not bad at all.
- mine does leak through the door and lid a bit.

While, some days, I wish I had the 22.5, overall I'm happy with the 18.5, and yeah, you really can put quite a bit of meat on the thing by using both grills. It does seem to be more efficient with charcoal, too.

Cajun Bandit also has a pretty cool add-on: https://www.cajunbandit.com/18-5-WSM-Stacker-Kit-p/18stack.htm
It adds a 3rd grill, which is kind of bad-ass. Although the cost of the upgrade is more than the cost of just getting a 22.5... it's something to consider. As an 18.5 owner, I'd rather get this add-on than sell what I have to get the 22.5.
Maybe I'll go for it when my tax return comes in. :)

zbarron

take that brisket to 200 or 205 and thank me later.
When it hit 193 I did the probe test and it was super soft. Some spots were registering 195. Then I put the lid back on, shut all the vents and left it there for about 4 hours while we went with a friend to the flea market.

I sliced it pencil thin and it passed the pull test. Do you like yours more tender than that? It's possible it continued cooking from the residual heat.
Good luck! Seems to be going great from your Igrill pics. Make sure to post some pics!

34128445614_ce35331159_b.jpg

This was right when I put it on. Excuse the poor trimming. It didn't really fit with the probe thermometer next to it, so I had to flip it around, curve it a bit and have the probe close to the edge.

34807240162_1dee3772e9_b.jpg

This is how it looked when I opened up the foil.

34971604395_0a493844b1_b.jpg

Sliced. It looks like that because I seperated the flat and the point.

That's a tough call. Before yesterday I'd probably choose the 18.5 for efficiency, but it sucks not having the room and needing it.

You already have the Slow N Sear, right? If so I'd probably get the 22.5" and use it for bigger smokes and the Slow N Sear for smaller ones when you want to use less charcoal.

ColdPizza

Banned

Sounds like its gonna be tasty as hell,post pics!

Heard these were worth the upgrade,ill be looking into one soonish.

Cant wait to try a pork belly smoke,they are so damn tasty.

Having owned the 18.5, I would say go with the 22.5 it seems to be the most popular of the bunch which means 22.5 grates and parts are easier to come by. I needed replacement grates for my 18.5 but had to order them online because none were available locally.

The other issue you have to contend with is the 22.5 will eat up a lot more fuel, but with holiday sales at hardware stores it's much of an issue.

If you want to cooker bigger items like full packer briskest, the 22.5 won't limit your options as much as a smaller one will.

However, one downside is the 22.5 is the tiny water bowl they give you. You'll have to refill it more often, but places like cajunbandit sell higher capacity bowls.

If you can swing the extra $100 I'd say go 22.5

ColdPizza

Banned
First smoke of the year.

My new door seems a little out of round with my smoker (maybe the smoker is out of round) so I have some reflective heat tape I bought for situations like this to seal it up until I figure out a better solution. I could always get some nomex gaskets to give it a better seal.

BYfyRar.png

andycapps

First smoke of the year.

My new door seems a little out of round with my smoker (maybe the smoker is out of round) so I have some reflective heat tape I bought for situations like this to seal it up until I figure out a better solution. I could always get some nomex gaskets to give it a better seal.

BYfyRar.png

Can you link what your setup is for the thermostat/fan?

negreenfield said:
(Today, 10:37 AM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote
Finally tried the whole brisket from Costco yesterday. They used to only sell flats and at least here in Atlanta just recently started selling whole briskets. The price is right and it came out great! The only thing that was a good bit different from any other brisket I've tried is I pulled it at a good bit lower temperature than I usually do. It was 183 and I normally go up to 195 or so for the ones I've gotten from Walmart in the past. Probe went in like butter and twist test showed it was ready. It also took a really long time, 19+ hours for a 14lb one. The Costco one says it's Prime so I'm curious if any of that makes a difference.

Regardless, this is the best brisket I've made so I'll be sticking with Costco assuming they continue to stock whole briskets.

I've been thinking about getting a Costco membership just for meat and coffee, honestly.

ColdPizza

Banned
Man, I missed this.

Tx0J761.png

Smoked loinback ribs and was trying out some chicken sausage.

SSxmZ9B.png

Sides include smoked beans with bacon, some Italian pasta salad with fresh mozzarella and pepperoni, and homemade garlic jalepeno dill pickles.

Kind of a proud moment, my 4 year old daughter ate 3 ribs off the bone.

Before and after

Learned my lesson about cooking strickly with lump charcoal. It took a few attempts to get it going, and it did burn about 300 for a bit after starting it and refilling it once. Probably went through way more than charcoal, but I'm hoping it worked. I've got the meat resting now.

So my neighbor just gave me an 18lb turkey. I plan on putting it in a brine for a night. If I smoke it, do I need it at a higher cooking temp than a pork or beef??

ag-my001

So my neighbor just gave me an 18lb turkey. I plan on putting it in a brine for a night. If I smoke it, do I need it at a higher cooking temp than a pork or beef??
I usually do 325, still indirect. Slide lots of butter under the skin. I like a salt and pepper rub; makes great stock for soup. Drip pan to catch stuff for gravy, but it will be salty.

ColdPizza

Banned

Depends on your plan. Do you want/need crispy skin? If not, just smoke between in the 200s, if not, you'll need 325-350 for somewhat edible skin, otherwise it will be like leather. But either way the bird meat will be stellar with a brine and a smoke.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
When it hit 193 I did the probe test and it was super soft. Some spots were registering 195. Then I put the lid back on, shut all the vents and left it there for about 4 hours while we went with a friend to the flea market.

I sliced it pencil thin and it passed the pull test. Do you like yours more tender than that? It's possible it continued cooking from the residual heat.

34128445614_ce35331159_b.jpg

This was right when I put it on. Excuse the poor trimming. It didn't really fit with the probe thermometer next to it, so I had to flip it around, curve it a bit and have the probe close to the edge.

34807240162_1dee3772e9_b.jpg

This is how it looked when I opened up the foil.

34971604395_0a493844b1_b.jpg

Sliced. It looks like that because I seperated the flat and the point.

That's a tough call. Before yesterday I'd probably choose the 18.5 for efficiency, but it sucks not having the room and needing it.

You already have the Slow N Sear, right? If so I'd probably get the 22.5" and use it for bigger smokes and the Slow N Sear for smaller ones when you want to use less charcoal.
if you closed it in the smoker and left it i imagine you probably got pretty close to 200 or higher.

i do it at 295, when i've cooked hotter i've had to tinfoil the bird so the skin doesnt burn.

I usually do 325, still indirect. Slide lots of butter under the skin. I like a salt and pepper rub; makes great stock for soup. Drip pan to catch stuff for gravy, but it will be salty.
With the wood charcoal, I was running at 300 before it'd taper down into the 200's after the first hour. So I guess if I keep a good stock pile of charcoal ready, I could probably get a good skin on it.

Usually by Thanksgiving, the weather is pretty chilly and it's too cold to be outside all day. Plus the oven keeps the apartment warm enough. I've done pretty good on the last couple of turkeys in the oven. I've always wanted to try smoking one and now I have that chance.

Top Bottom